Undergrad Independent Research for Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeductivePanda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I have some questions for you all about some of the research I've done.

Throughout my undergrad, I took two research classes through my university that took me abroad to do my own field research in ecology (double major in ecology&evolutionary bio, and neuroscience). The first research experience was in Costa Rica where I did my own project on flight behaviors of Phyllostomidae bats. I formed a hypothesis, built a flight cage/stimulator, caught bats at night, gathered and analyzed data and then wrote and presented a research paper with some oversight by the professor at the biology instituion in Costa Rica. It took me a whole quarter (10 weeks) almost work almost everyday to get things done but I completed the research and the paper by the end of the quarter.

The second research opporutnity was a bigger scientific research diving trip to Corsica, France, where my partner and I did a research project on moray eels in the Mediterranean. We looked over research papers before the quarter to determine our focus and hypothesis and throughout our time in Corsica, we planned and excecuted our metholody (via SCUBA research diving, trapping eels, etc), gathered data, did statistical analysis through JMP pro, wrote our paper and presented our research to our class + other bio professors/students. We had oversight from the two research professors that came with us to Corsica and we had a budget with them to get materials, etc. I got grades in both research classes and I initially pursued my research done in Corsica to get published but dropped it since it would have taken too much time.

I also did scientific research diving for a close professor of mine (who I also TA'ed for twice) over two summers on Catalina Island. Me and a few other undergrads on the trip primarily gathered data via scientific SCUBA diving and trapping to do research on moray eels which a PhD student and the PI were working on.

I guess my questions are these- do the first two 'independent research' projects count as actual research and are they notable under the activites/extra curriculars research tab? Does the fact that they were my own research projects compare poorly to premeds who do 'legitimate/publishable' research under their PI/PhD student and does it matter that I got a grade for it? Finally, does it look weird that it's more field research based around ecology and not molecular biology like most other premeds? Just curious on how to frame this for my application in the most appropirate way possible.

Thanks for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.