Underserved population experience ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am in the process of working on my secondaries essays. On the question of why do you want to come to our medical school or how does their mission reflect my values, etc.... Many school always stress their focus on doing community outreach and serving the underserved populations and this is something I really do value in physicians. So my question is...

I grew up in a suburban Long Island (NY) town where people are generally middle class. However, I am an Asian immigrant and while I never faced any trouble having the basic necessities, my parents did work endlessly and hard to provide me with the things I need. Since I don't have direct experience with healthcare in underserved population or rural area, I was going to write that watching my parents work hard but unable to afford health insurance, lack of English skills making them hesistant to visit the doctor has motivated me to want to pursue community/underserved care. I was gonna say in addition to my research, TA experience blah blah that pursuing community outreach at this particular school make me more well-rounded. It's just I wasn't sure if I can extend the definition in this way. So any feedback or tips on making this approach would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advanced!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the process of working on my secondaries essays. On the question of why do you want to come to our medical school or how does their mission reflect my values, etc.... Many school always stress their focus on doing community outreach and serving the underserved populations and this is something I really do value in physicians. So my question is...

I grew up in a suburban Long Island (NY) town where people are generally middle class. However, I am an Asian immigrant and while I never faced any trouble having the basic necessities, my parents did work endlessly and hard to provide me with the things I need. Since I don't have direct experience with healthcare in underserved population or rural area, I was going to write that watching my parents work hard but unable to afford health insurance, lack of English skills making them hesistant to visit the doctor has motivated me to want to pursue community/underserved care. I was gonna say in addition to my research, TA experience blah blah that pursuing community outreach at this particular school make me more well-rounded. It's just I wasn't sure if I can extend the definition in this way. So any feedback or tips on making this approach would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advanced!

Something like not having healthcare is a strong reason to pursue it, but if you didn't actually work with an underserved population I'm not sure it makes sense to make that connection. I had to read your post five times to realize that was the connection you are trying to make because it's pretty random. Being underserved isn't the same thing as working with underserved groups. I think, if the question is about community service, you should write about the service you did, not the service you wish someone had done for you.

Reactions: 1 user

I suggest that you start volunteering with the homeless, the mentally ill or developmentally disabled. Also, tutoring poor kids. OR, write off that school.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think growing up a middle-class child of hard working immigrants will convince them that you want to spend your career working with the under-served.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you! Okay I agree now that you guys explain it. One essay they specially asked about underserved or rural but other one was about why I want to attend the school. So I'll probably focus on other aspect such as diversity, research etc... since I have more experience in that. Thank you