UNECOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recently spoke at length with someone at UNECOM and would be happy to share what I have learned....

...Here is the deal-UNECOM has requested approval to increase it's class size. They will find out in April if they have been approved, but it seems extremely likely that they will get this approval.

Assuming they get approval, they will add about 35 students to the class entering this fall.

Does anybody know if they actually received approval for this? I am assuming they have been making waitlists/acceptances based on the smaller class size. During OsteoBlast I thought I heard Dean Hahn say that the class size would not increase this year, but I could be wrong. Or maybe they have not found out yet? Just wondering if anybody has heard the final verdict.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know if they actually received approval for this? I am assuming they have been making waitlists/acceptances based on the smaller class size. During OsteoBlast I thought I heard Dean Hahn say that the class size would not increase this year, but I could be wrong. Or maybe they have not found out yet? Just wondering if anybody has heard the final verdict.

Class size is not increasing for our class.

I am pretty sure at Osteoblast they said that our class (2015) will be the same size as all of the others but that we will have some curriculum changes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty sure at Osteoblast they said that our class (2015) will be the same size as all of the others but that we will have some curriculum changes.

I heard the same thing during Osteoblast.

It seems every class for the past five years has had curriculum changes. They don't seem to stay with one thing long enough to see if it works.

It seems every class for the past five years has had curriculum changes. They don't seem to stay with one thing long enough to see if it works.

You are so very wise and absolutely correct.

Hi 2015!

I'm moving to RI for rotations and my 2 bedroom apt will be vacant starting May 1st. Its a nice place, 2nd floor of a house right on pool street. The apartment has 2 good size bedrooms, an office with washer/dryer, full kitchen. There's an in-ground pool in the backyard that you can use in the summer. The landlord doesn't allow cats, but dogs are not a problem.There's a nice back yard so you don't have to stress out about taking the dog out during block exam week- if you have one. The tenants downstairs are nice people. Year round rental, $950 a month heat included.

If interested call Josh at (207) 807 6575 (nice guy)

Thanks!

I suppose that explains both the annoyed look and evasive "answer" that I received when I had asked about past and future curriculum changes when I had visited the campus. Certainly not a good sign when an administrative head doesn't exude excitement and positivity when discussing the school's curriculum.

At some point in the near future, you'll be receiving information from UNE regarding the technology requirements for a first year student. You should read over the recommendations and then throw that paper away. I don't know who writes the guidelines for the technology requirement, but they obviously have no idea what a first and second year student needs.

Just about any computer will work. My classmates use everything from ancient PCs to top the of the line Macs and everything in between. If you're a Mac user (and why wouldn't you be?) don't waste your money on buying parallels and windows. We haven't had one class or program over the past two years that required their use.

Most of you have smart phones already, but don't feel pressured into buying one if you don't. At no point over the past two years was there an absolute need to use these devices. Save your money until 3rd year when they'll actually be useful.

If you have specific tech questions you should reach out to a current student and not UNE. Current students can tell you exactly what you need and what is a waste of money. The same can be said about the required texts.

At some point in the near future, you'll be receiving information from UNE regarding the technology requirements for a first year student. You should read over the recommendations and then throw that paper away. I don't know who writes the guidelines for the technology requirement, but they obviously have no idea what a first and second year student needs.

Just about any computer will work. My classmates use everything from ancient PCs to top the of the line Macs and everything in between. If you're a Mac user (and why wouldn't you be?) don't waste your money on buying parallels and windows. We haven't had one class or program over the past two years that required their use.

Most of you have smart phones already, but don't feel pressured into buying one if you don't. At no point over the past two years was there an absolute need to use these devices. Save your money until 3rd year when they'll actually be useful.

If you have specific tech questions you should reach out to a current student and not UNE. Current students can tell you exactly what you need and what is a waste of money. The same can be said about the required texts.

Thank you!

Hi Everyone!

I'll be starting as a first year at UNECOM in August and am wondering about housing. Does anyone have good suggestions about looking for roommates/housing? How difficult is it to find good housing and when should I start looking? I looked at the link to off-campus housing on the UNECOM website but was wondering if there is any networking happening amongst the 1st or 2nd year students.

:confused:

Hey looking at an apartment right now...only thing it doesn't have a washer/dryer. Does anyone know if their is a laundry mat in biddeford?

Members don't see this ad :)
@UncleSam - there is one in the Saco Shaw's plaza. Its pretty decent I've heard

@Shyrem - easy on the terms there. Stereotype much?

Does anyone know what the waitlist is looking like? Has it been ranked and has anyone been taken off of it yet? Thanks!

Does anyone know what the waitlist is looking like? Has it been ranked and has anyone been taken off of it yet? Thanks!

Haven't heard anything yet. All I have heard was the last round of interviews was about 3-4 weeks ago, so they should be sending out the rankings of the wait list soon. As well as some movement I hope. :xf:

Based on last year, UNE only pulled people from the ASA (Accepted pending a seat) list but didn't even look at the regular wait list. So, not to be a Debby Downer, but definitely secure a seat elsewhere if you're on the regular alternate list, if you have that option available to you.

I have just withdrawn my acceptance at UNECOM. Can't afford to go here! I hope one of you gets my spot. Good Luck!:luck:

Based on last year, UNE only pulled people from the ASA (Accepted pending a seat) list but didn't even look at the regular wait list. So, not to be a Debby Downer, but definitely secure a seat elsewhere if you're on the regular alternate list, if you have that option available to you.

This is the first I've heard of this. Last time I knew they had one waitlist to draw from.

I have just withdrawn my acceptance at UNECOM. Can't afford to go here! I hope one of you gets my spot. Good Luck!:luck:

Sorry to hear. Hope it works out elsewhere. :xf:

just heard from une - accepted!!!!! so excited to return to maine (i went to bowdoin for undergrad). can't wait to meet everyone :)

Hi future classmates! I was just wondering about a few things, especially since my inbox seems eerily quiet and I have not received anything from UNECOM in a while.

I completed my Fafsa over a month ago and had it submitted to UNECOM. What's the next step? I know our packet from interview day says we need to fill out UNE's fin aid application next, but I have yet to receive it. Does anyone have any info about this or should I just go ahead and contact the school?

Hi future classmates! I was just wondering about a few things, especially since my inbox seems eerily quiet and I have not received anything from UNECOM in a while.

I completed my Fafsa over a month ago and had it submitted to UNECOM. What's the next step? I know our packet from interview day says we need to fill out UNE's fin aid application next, but I have yet to receive it. Does anyone have any info about this or should I just go ahead and contact the school?

The UNE fin aid application is available online through their website. After you fill it out they will mail you your aid packet.

Soooo...........top 10% of waitlist. How many people do you think are on the waitlist? 40? 50? I can't imagine much more than that.. but I suppose it all depends on movement anyway.
:xf:

I'm going to need a doctor after this whole process! lol

I think typically there are about 100 or so on the regular alternate list, and then some from the later interviews on the ASA list, which is the accepted pending a seat group. I don't know if UNE is running both lists this year, or just one, but at least last year, they only utilized the ASA list. They have, I believe, gone as far as the alternate list though in years past...so being in the 10th percentile is probably a good sign, if of course they make it to the alternate list. I know UNE is often a backup to schools like UMASS who accept a bulk of students right about now...so if there is movement, it'll probably happen sooner rather than later.

How many English credits are required? I thought I read 6 semester hours. My school used units and I sometime am unsure how many semester hours in a single unit. I have taken two English courses, which I believe equates to 6 semester hours.

Anyone? Kelly

Hey guys!

I am a member of 2015 and I'm looking to share a beautiful 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath condo in a great neighborhood in Saco--12 minute drive from campus--with a non-smoking UNECOM student. Each bedroom is very large and can easily accommodate large bedroom furniture plus an office if desired. $650/month or $3000/semester plus $300 security covers ALL utilities (heat, hot water, electricity, laundry, parking, internet). Available anytime in July/flexible. Send me a PM or email [email protected] if interested or if you have any questions!

Thanks, and looking forward to meeting everyone!

Just offered an acceptance off the alternate list. :)

Received an email on 5/16 saying that I was in the top 30% of the waitlist...and was accepted today!!!!

Accepted 5/23 :)

Was "top 10%" of wait list

Finnnallllllyyyyyyy

Tman1820,

What percentage were you in on the waitlist?

LadyPreMed,

You said you were in the top 30% and got accepted?? I was told I was in the top 14% and haven't heard anything yet. Do you know how they go about this?

Tman1820,

LadyPreMed,

You said you were in the top 30% and got accepted?? I was told I was in the top 14% and haven't heard anything yet. Do you know how they go about this?

I was told I was in the top 30%.

Did you respond and tell Lisa you wanted to stay on the list? The ranking email kind of unclearly stated that you needed to respond if you were interested, so if you didn't they probably didn't think you were interested in staying on the list. Otherwise it's strange they would skip over you.

(I don't know if it helped at all, but I was a re-applicant and a re-interview at UNE, so IDK if that demonstrated anything, but it probably did work in my favor in terms of looking "interested".)

Tman1820,

LadyPreMed,

Tman makes a good point. If you haven't yet, make sure you contact Lisa and let her know you're interested in staying active on the waitlist. From what I've heard/read they will accept off the waitlist to keep the general demographics of the class. For example, if someone with 10 years experience as a medic withdraws their acceptance from the class, they'll look for someone from the top of the waitlist with a similar background to accept.

If you've continued to show interest in attending UNECOM, I can't imagine it being much longer before they offer you an acceptance, especially being that high on the waitlist. I got my acceptance email on Monday, and was given until Wednesday to accept or decline the offer. It seems that they use this deadline to gauge the number of acceptances they will offer the following week.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll look into it! Hopefully I'll hear something soon!

to every alum of une and current student, how are you going to take care of your loans (specialize, military... eat raman for the next 30 years)?

When you are in residency, you are expected to pay something on your loans. If you use Income Based Repayment, they payment won't be too much. I am supporting a family of four (two children, myself and my husband) and they expect me to pay $95/month. It sucks because that's basically a week's worth of groceries, but we're making it work. No vacations here.

Now I'm also looking at job opportunities for which I will be signing in the next year (I'm internal medicine, looking to sign a hospitalist contract). In looking at our budget with the salaries and benefits around, I will easily be able to pay my loans off in less than 10 years and still have twice as much to live on as we are living on now.

Now if I wanted to immediately go buy a $1million house, a boat, a Ferrari, dining at 5 star restaurants every day, etc. well then I'd be hosed. But I don't. I want to save for retirement, go have one nice vacation with my family (it would be the first nice vacation EVER with my husband of almost 20 years), have a reasonable car to replace our "new" car that is currently 15 years old, and be able to pay my bills without darn near having an anxiety attack every month.

Has anyone seen the so-called insurance coverage offered by the school? It is really crap. Does anyone have any ideas about options?

When you are in residency, you are expected to pay something on your loans. If you use Income Based Repayment, they payment won't be too much. I am supporting a family of four (two children, myself and my husband) and they expect me to pay $95/month. It sucks because that's basically a week's worth of groceries, but we're making it work. No vacations here.

Shy:

Double check that you're supposed to be paying while in residency. I deferred through residency AND fellowship. Since I'm going back to school at least 1/2 time to finish my MPH, I'll be able to defer for another 1-2 years. Realistically, though, I'm gonna start paying some as my loans are starting to get rather large.

Thanks.

Wook

Just got accepted off the waitlist! Looks like I'll be seeing you all very soon!! I'm so excited!

Shy:

Double check that you're supposed to be paying while in residency. I deferred through residency AND fellowship. Since I'm going back to school at least 1/2 time to finish my MPH, I'll be able to defer for another 1-2 years. Realistically, though, I'm gonna start paying some as my loans are starting to get rather large.

Thanks.

Wook

Yeah, they changed that rule for residents beginning 2010. *We* get the pleasure of paying back loans during residency. If you want, you can choose the Income Based Repayment model. This means that as the sole breadwinner of a family of 4 I get to pay $100/month. Isn't that great?

Yeah, they changed that rule for residents beginning 2010. *We* get the pleasure of paying back loans during residency. If you want, you can choose the Income Based Repayment model. This means that as the sole breadwinner of a family of 4 I get to pay $100/month. Isn't that great?

Owwwww....glad I dodged that one.

:(

Thanks.

Wook

I guess there are still seats available... Interviewing July 15th for possible acceptance to class of 2015 or 2016.

I guess there are still seats available... Interviewing July 15th for possible acceptance to class of 2015 or 2016.

Wow...that's strange...but good for you! Could it be that a lot of people withdrew because of all the rumored problems with the Administration. Still...I can't believe that they went through the whole alternate list already...that's crazy

Wow...that's strange...but good for you! Could it be that a lot of people withdrew because of all the rumored problems with the Administration. Still...I can't believe that they went through the whole alternate list already...that's crazy

I know, I was a little surprised myself... Weird that they mentioned a seat for c/o 2016 if no room available for 2015 with the interview... Wondering if it would be considered like an "early decision"

That's surprising and kind of scary. It looks like the overall attitude of UNE's administration and their unwillingness to control cost's is finally coming back to haunt them.