Unfit for work. NPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

"Once people go onto disability, they almost never go back to work."

Members don't see this ad.

A surprisingly honest report from NPR...
I think disability should be solely handled by the states. Like the article points out, there is just no accountability in the federal govt. Why would a doc or a judge tell someone "No, you're not disabled"? This is a god forsaken disaster.

If you are willing to get $14K/year, and no more, ever, would you take it? 14 million Americans have.

I paraphrased that a bit, but that is what the article said. I thought of something from "Age of Empires III" (yes, I still play that, and I love it - so don't judge me!) - there are two cards one can play where "for the rest of the game, a small trickle of wood/gold enriches you". However, in the game, it can really build up. In reality, that$14K/year is less than I make in a month, and is really a dud. Then again, I work in the ED, and these selfsame losers (which a few absolutely are) come in with their drug addiction/chronic pain complaints, with the most inane entitlement demands (like Dilaudid BEFORE any imaging, for a fall on ice when the temperature has been 38 degrees, and leaving AMA when that demand is not granted), and say things like "I don't have $4 for gas for my car to drive home. My gas gauge is broken, and I don't know how much gas I have in the car" and "I haven't gotten my check yet", because, darn it, it is my RIGHT to have my hand out, and the government put something in it, for nothing!

To end my rant, when I was in college, I was in military school, and I was a junior when Desert Storm broke out. I was not contracted (meaning I was not going to be commissioned - this was not a federal service academy), and I was thinking of what I could cut off so I would not be drafted. That colored my perspective of "disability" - I am left-handed, and, if I had my left hand cut off, I see that as disability. Hell, I would even have difficulty co-ördinating wiping my butt with my right hand. Now, though, I am insulin-dependent diabetic, and there is NO way I feel disabled - at ALL - now.

[/rant]

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a medicaid patient today talk about the shows she watches on HBO.

Last I checked the
Cable companies did not give
Out subsidized premium channels.

I had a medicaid patient today talk about the shows she watches on HBO.

Last I checked the
Cable companies did not give
Out subsidized premium channels.

last time I checked, even basic cable is not free/subsidized/"a right"
nor are iphones, gucci (sp?) bags, ect...