Uniformed services university, MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shejeboshease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent my application to this school cause its in my neighboring state. but i just realized that they require you to serve in the military which i don't really intend to do. does anyone have thoughts on this medical school? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

USUHS is a good school with emphasis on combat medicine. The requirement is 7 yrs AFTER residency. There are lots of pros (no tuition, get paid while in school 45K a yr, free health insurance etc) and some cons (residency exposure, 7yr commitment). Its a personal decision

Members don't see this ad :)
Shejeboshease said:
I sent my application to this school cause its in my neighboring state. but i just realized that they require you to serve in the military which i don't really intend to do. does anyone have thoughts on this medical school? thanks

You've already received the posts that talk about the military commitment. One caveat - the 7 years does NOT have to be AFTER residency. You could choose to serve for 7 years as a General Medical Officer, Undersea (Diving) Medical Officer, or Flight Surgeon (this applies to Navy only BTW) and get out without having completed a residency. So, to clarify, you have a 7 year obligation, and the time spent in residency training does not count towards that obligation.

Now...as far as the quality of school goes, I have never met an individual that graduated from the school that regretted attending it. I know of several people (my wife included) who turned down acceptances at some very prestigious schools to attend USUHS. It all depends on what your goals are. If you are interested in attending the school only to avoid debt and make some money...I think you will ultimately be unhappy with your decision.

I highly encourage you to do your research before you proceed with the application process at USUHS.

If you have any other specific questions, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Cheers.

danjo said:
You've already received the posts that talk about the military commitment. One caveat - the 7 years does NOT have to be AFTER residency. You could choose to serve for 7 years as a General Medical Officer, Undersea (Diving) Medical Officer, or Flight Surgeon (this applies to Navy only BTW) and get out without having completed a residency. So, to clarify, you have a 7 year obligation, and the time spent in residency training does not count towards that obligation.

Now...as far as the quality of school goes, I have never met an individual that graduated from the school that regretted attending it. I know of several people (my wife included) who turned down acceptances at some very prestigious schools to attend USUHS. It all depends on what your goals are. If you are interested in attending the school only to avoid debt and make some money...I think you will ultimately be unhappy with your decision.

I highly encourage you to do your research before you proceed with the application process at USUHS.

If you have any other specific questions, please do not hesitate to PM me.

Cheers.

thanks a lot for your info. i definitely don't want to be involved in any form of military. in their secondary application, they ask why you would want to be military doctor. I was just wondering if they have any medical students who don't want to serve in the military.

Wait.. let me get this straight. You applied to a school, and THEN found out information about it? How the heck did you decide which schools to apply to, a dartboard??

Shejeboshease said:
thanks a lot for your info. i definitely don't want to be involved in any form of military. in their secondary application, they ask why you would want to be military doctor. I was just wondering if they have any medical students who don't want to serve in the military.

No problem. As far as your last question (in bold) goes - I am sure there are a few individuals who decided to go to school there even though they didn't really want to serve in the military (maybe it was the only school they were accepted to, they only cared about the debt, etc.). One thing is certain - they are going to have to serve in the military, and they are going to be miserable until they get out. It's definitely not worth it if you don't want to serve in the military!

That's seriously like going to West Point and finding out they make you an officer when you graduate. :scared: If the military's not for you, don't do it. Getting out of it at a college that requires it will make you look like a coward, to say the least.

danjo... (hello again)

Assuming one were to complete school there (4 yrs), complete their residency (say 4 yrs), and complete the obligated service (7 yrs), would they then be eligible for retirement following 5 years of additional service? In other words, does the time spent in school and in residency count toward active service?

Thanks!

Trust me, as someone who served in the military enlisted medical corps- at a base that received LOTS of USUHS students rotating through- their grads are as sharp as any civilian school. The thing you have to keep in mind is that the military sucks, they treat their docs like crap, and out of the 100 or so military docs I have talked to and/or worked with, three (3!) said they enjoyed being in the service. That right there is why I would rather go to school in the Caribbean or Ireland than give up my freedom to enlist in the military as a physician.

DropkickMurphy said:
three (3!) said they enjoyed being in the service.
Suppose it depends with whom you speak. I know a USAF flight surgeon who can't say enough good things about his job.

As I said, I know three who have good things to say. One of them of course is a general and was a fighter jock before hand, so his opinion is suspect. As I said, take the things said by people like Danjo with a grain of salt or you will find yourself miserable for those years you are in the indentured service of the US Government.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flopotomist said:
Wait.. let me get this straight. You applied to a school, and THEN found out information about it? How the heck did you decide which schools to apply to, a dartboard??

People generally don't spend nearly enough time researching schools before applying to them. That's why some applicants apply to dozens of schools and post threads at the end of each season asking "is it possible to reapply after turning down an acceptance?"

True, the military isn't for everyone. As a former service member myself, I can attest to the fact that recruiters are somewhat less than trustworthy and the experience falls a little shy of what's advertised in commercials.

DiFranco said:
People generally don't spend nearly enough time researching schools before applying to them.
In this case, it would seem the OP didn't even read the name of the school.

hermit said:
danjo... (hello again)

Assuming one were to complete school there (4 yrs), complete their residency (say 4 yrs), and complete the obligated service (7 yrs), would they then be eligible for retirement following 5 years of additional service? In other words, does the time spent in school and in residency count toward active service?

Dropkick - I'm not denying that the military isn't for everyone. I hope I'm not sending the message to anyone that the military is a wonderful place to be and I highly encourage everyone to try it...I know it has its faults.

Hermit - Here's how the time in service thing works with USUHS:

1. Your 4 years of medical school do not count as active time towards retirement, but do get added on to any time you have at or beyond 20 years of service.
2. Residency time, while it does not count towards your obligated service, does count as active time towards retirement.

So, using the example you provided above: After 4 years of med school, 4 years of residency, and your 7 years of obligated service, your total time in service = 11 years (residency + obligated service). Barring any previous service (i.e. enlisted or in another officer community), you would have to serve another 9 years to be eligible for retirement at 20 years. However, once you are eligible for retirement, the 4 years of med school is added on for retirement pay calculations (i.e. if your time in service was 20 years at retirement, you would get paid as if you served 24 years).

Does that clear things up for you?

hermit said:
In this case, it would seem the OP didn't even read the name of the school.

I wasn't going to go there, but since you did... :laugh:

danjo said:
Does that clear things up for you?
Perfectly. Thank you very much.

Did you ever read the MSAR? Most of these questions are resolved by this book.

Shejeboshease said:

What part of "Uniformed Services" is unclear to you? Beyond that, five seconds on the schools website should clear that up. :confused: Please tell us that you are kidding. Seriously.

DropkickMurphy said:
As I said, I know three who have good things to say. One of them of course is a general and was a fighter jock before hand, so his opinion is suspect. As I said, take the things said by people like Danjo with a grain of salt or you will find yourself miserable for those years you are in the indentured service of the US Government.

You know what? A quick look at Danjo's MD Apps profile or at his myspace (both links in his sig) will tell you that he's in the military. So his opinion is helpful in two ways: he's actually been there done that, and he has accurate information. Of course, he's going to advocate for it. Naturally!

Anyway, there are a lot of people who serve in the military and really like it. Just like a lot of things, it is not for everyone. :)

plus, if you want to go the military route, you can have the military (probably just the army if you go private or OOS though) pay for your education at a civilian school. The stipend is considerably less, but your commitment to serve is usually only 4-5 years (basically 1 year for every one that they pay for.). My cousin had the army pay for Jefferson and he's in residency at Walter Reed in DC. There'd be no way for him to pay for it himself any other way and he's definately satisfied with his decision. He thinks he'll end up on some army base in texas when he's done with residency (he's doing urology), but hey, there are worse places to be in life.

of course if you go into ER or Ortho, you're pretty much guaranteed to end up in a battle zone somewhere (assuming we dont pull out in 4 years time).

maestro1625 said:
of course if you go into ER or Ortho, you're pretty much guaranteed to end up in a battle zone somewhere (assuming we dont pull out in 4 years time).

LOL, if you are Army and in a surgical or primary care specialty -- including pediatrics, you can expect to end up in a battle zone!

Ed

so I applied and was accepted to USUHS a few years ago. I chose not to attend in large part because I didn't feel comfortable with the military having total control over 11 years of my life. I think I would have enjoyed going there, but i couldn't get answers to basic questions...how much choice do i have in picking a residency/specialty (i.e. almost anyone from a US civilian school can get a slot in emergency medicine, whereas in the military, it's much more competitive). And then there was the question of whether I could or couldn't get a civilian residency if i wanted one and if that would incur more time to repay. and whether i'd have to do a GMO first. ultimately, the military controls you and uses you to fit its needs. If more docs are needed now rather than later, you're going straight to a GMO before residency. Military is out of military slots for radiology but they need more radiologists, you get sent to a civilian residency. Military wants to cut the pay to an 0-1 by $2000, you're out a couple of thousand dollars. Ultimately, i just didn't trust the military and I was told recruiters are more than willing to lie to you to get you to sign on the line, so there wasn't a real accurate and unbiased source of information i could rely on. Moreover, after I got in, they sent an official looking contract that signed me up for military service well before i heard from all the other schools and they sent multiple emails informing me that I needed to send it back immediately. Please also read the military medicine forum, specifically regarding the quality of the health care system in the military and the quality of the residencies themselves. Make an informed decision and ask alot of questions. and talk with more than one person about this decision and do NOT take it lightly.

good luck.

to the OP - i understand wanting to stay in your area, but really, all you have to do is look at the webpage to know what the school's about. that being said, no, if you go to USUHS you do not have to serve in the military. every class has 2 spots for people going into the public health service, and these spots are currently funded by Indian Affairs so you would end up working on a reservation, most likely.

i have a question about this school.
I am not affiliated with the military in anyway, but I wouldn't mind going into military medicine, so my questions is: should i still apply eventhough i have nothing related to military like ROTC, etc.

also secondaries are screened it says on their site but msar says they dont screen...whats the real deal?

they have a separate form for LOR...i have a committee letter that will just send directly to their school. i dont have to use their form, correct?

lastly, i don't have to apply for the hpsp scholarship correct? the school will take care of everything?

I am not affiliated with the military in anyway, but I wouldn't mind going into military medicine, so my questions is: should i still apply eventhough i have nothing related to military like ROTC, etc.

also secondaries are screened it says on their site but msar says they dont screen...whats the real deal?

they have a separate form for LOR...i have a committee letter that will just send directly to their school. i dont have to use their form, correct?

lastly, i don't have to apply for the hpsp scholarship correct? the school will take care of everything?

They take people were are unaffiliated with the military, but you have to show that you are serious & that you know what you are getting yourself into.

Yeah, their website says that they screen but they gave me a secondary before I was verified (less than a day after I submitted my app)... so I don't think they actually screen.

edit- Oops, missed your LOR question. Yeah, their LOR form is optional and you can just send a standard letter.

Last edited:

Like the previous poster said, you don't need any ties to the military to apply and go there. But they will make sure you know what you're getting yourself into...and you should know too. You'll have about a 13 year commitment to the military (minimum)...7 years active duty, 6 years on reserve. So make sure military life is for you. But, everything is paid for while you're in.
If you want a shorter commitment, try the HPSP (assuming you have a good enough stats to win one of the scholarships). HPSP is completely separate from USUHS, so no worries there. I'm sure you can just send any LOR you have, but you can always email them and ask.

You can still apply if you haven't been affiliated with the military before. Just have a good reason for wanting to practice medicine in the military. (and the only real difference that I can discern is that you don't need that letter saying that you are allowed to apply)

I know the site says they screen but I don't think they do. I got the secondary the same day I submitted.

On LOR, as long as your committee letter fulfills the requirements then you don't need that form. Make sure you note the fact that they need your SSN and name, reviewers phone number and signature on each letter. Also they need one from someone who was a supervisor or something for clinical experience. (or a statement as to why you haven't gotten clinical experience)

I believe the HPSP is indeed completely separate from USHUS.

wow thanks for all your responses. i appreciate it...well i dont have any relatives in military, but i have read up on it through forums, is that enough? how do you go about making sure its right for you without actually getting any military experience before appplying? maybe talking to a recruiter?

my premed committee compiles all the letters and just sends one committee letter, this is enough, correct? they wont send individual letters

wow thanks for all your responses. i appreciate it...well i dont have any relatives in military, but i have read up on it through forums, is that enough? how do you go about making sure its right for you without actually getting any military experience before appplying? maybe talking to a recruiter?

my premed committee compiles all the letters and just sends one committee letter, this is enough, correct? they wont send individual letters

Talking to a recruiter is a good idea, but if you can somehow contact a current or former military doctor, that would be perfect. Recruiters have quotas to fill and will be biased (i.e. they may paint a prettier picture of the military than it really is). Maybe you can ask a recruiter for a military doc you can contact.

They just send a committee letter or they send a committee letter with all your letters in a packet? You need to make sure you have all the letters they require.

my school takes all the individual letters, takes snipbits of each and makes 1 committee letter out of it....so i cannot get individual letters. wil this be a problem?

I'm not sure then. But you will probably be ok. (maybe you'll have to get another letter to send on the side as well) I'd email them and ask.