Uniformed Services University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kid_Charlemagne

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the education offered by the USUHS comparable to a state or private university education?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, from all appearances. A very good friend of mine is a 3rd year there and it appears that she is getting an excellent education (and an excellent financial deal). You will be required to take classes on Military medicine and be subjected to pictures from war conditions, but otherwise the education is the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
UHUHS is the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. The armed forces will trade you some time in service for your medical tuition. You come in as an officer and get a pay check that isn't to bad. Good deal if you ask me. I was just curious about the quality of education. I will probably go this route, since I have 9 years in between active duty and reserve time anyway.
Their home page is www.usuhs.mil
have a good one
The Kid

------------------
Ya, thats what I thought...

Will you be starting in the fall?? Which branch of service did you select?? I think the education received is as good as most private/public schools. I think in certain areas, like emergency medicine, it maybe a little better.

If you selected the Army, see ya in Texas this summer, otherwise see ya in Bethesda.

Okay, this doesn't answer the original question, but I have a couple of questions of my own. If you enter the university as a civilian, do you do basic training after med school? Also, how long after med school are you required to serve? Does internship/residency count towards that? Thanks to anyone who knows the answers to these
smile.gif

From my understanding because I'm entering this August as a civilian, you enter into officer training the summer preceding entry into medical school. Your obligation is seven years payback and your internship/residency does not count towards your payback. Hope this helps. For all those attending USUHS this fall, see you in August
smile.gif
Or if AF see you in July
smile.gif

To answer the basic training question, no you would not have to do basic,Most ROTC guys don't do it to my knoledge either. I think they should but they don't... Basic todya is real easy anyway. I believe that your intern and res both count towards time in service. Zero cool, it was Army and will be again. Your gonna love Ft. Sam. So much Brass there they actualy have no salute zones... You would have tendonitis if they didn't.... have a good, Oh and one other thing, you come in to your int/res as an O-3
which is a Captin, the pay is good better then my E-5 over 9 lol
The Kid....

------------------
Ya, thats what I thought...

Just to correct something. This is the rule for HPSP and I'm pretty sure it applies to USUHS grads too.

Training does not count towards your payback time. In fact, it could even increase it. In the program, you incur service debt for both medical school and residency. Each year of residency, after the first incurs a service debt. Fellowships incur two years for every one!!! Fortunately, you can serve these concurrently. But lets say you want to do Ortho at Walter Reed. That's a six year program. No problem so far, because you have a 7 year debt for med school. However, If you want to do a hand surgery fellowship (2 years I think), you would owe them for more years for a total off 10. That's 10 for training vs. 7 for med school. Since they are served concurrently, you end up serving 10 years AFTER residency. Wow!!!

One last thing, virtually everyone must attend Officer Basic School. It's a six week course which is not supposed to be too bad. Even prior military and ROTC folks must go.

Ed

[This message has been edited by edmadison (edited March 28, 2001).]