This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AprilMayJune

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So, I'm graduating from Univ of Florida with a bachelors degree in women's studies, and after I just realized I want to become a doctor. I want to take all of the prerequisites at Santa Fe college here in Gainesville. I'm worried about admission for a few reasons. I'd love if maybe someone could help me

1.) Low undergrad GPA 3.0
I plan on getting perfect science prerequisite grades and a high MCAT score, but I'm worried the low GPA will still affect my admission.
2.) Taking ALL of the science prerequisites at Santa Fe and not UF
Santa Fe just transitioned from a community college to a college offering a few bachelors degrees. I'm worried that even if I get perfect grades in all the prerequisites, it will not look as good as an applicant who aced the courses at a university....
3.) Also, regarding the volunteer hours, what have you done to get those? Mostly shadowing or patient care? Also, I was a CNA throughout college, does that patient care count in any way?

Thanks for any help! I'm really nervous about setting on this path, but It is my passion. Do you think I can get into UF med school? Or any med school?

Members don't see this ad.

1) You need to get a high GPA from here on out. I would recommend making sure your plan includes looking at your study strategies and improving because: 1) the pre-req coursework is going to be more rigorous than the humanities coursework your used to and 2) you need that GPA to improve preferably to 3.3+.

2) As long as the university is recognized by the regional accreditation body as a four year college you should be fine.

3) You want both clinical volunteering and shadowing though the majority of your hours should be volunteering. As for how, go to your local hospital and seek out their volunteer coordinator. Very few places will turn away free help. And CNA does count as clinical employment which is a positive.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Keep in mind that no pre-med goes into it planning to get a low gpa and low mcat. If you could just plan on it and do it then it wouldn’t be valuable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m from the area. Around here Santa Fe doesn’t have the best reputation for rigor, but I don’t know that adcoms (outside of UF) will have that stigma since they don’t know the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

So, I'm graduating from Univ of Florida with a bachelors degree in women's studies, and after I just realized I want to become a doctor. I want to take all of the prerequisites at Santa Fe college here in Gainesville. I'm worried about admission for a few reasons. I'd love if maybe someone could help me

1.) Low undergrad GPA 3.0
I plan on getting perfect science prerequisite grades and a high MCAT score, but I'm worried the low GPA will still affect my admission.
2.) Taking ALL of the science prerequisites at Santa Fe and not UF
Santa Fe just transitioned from a community college to a college offering a few bachelors degrees. I'm worried that even if I get perfect grades in all the prerequisites, it will not look as good as an applicant who aced the courses at a university....
3.) Also, regarding the volunteer hours, what have you done to get those? Mostly shadowing or patient care? Also, I was a CNA throughout college, does that patient care count in any way?

Thanks for any help! I'm really nervous about setting on this path, but It is my passion. Do you think I can get into UF med school? Or any med school?
Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

i had a 2.8 in ug before i decided to plan on getting all As there on out (actually did it in all upper level science and then a masters on top of it) OP its a long road but its possible and good luck i believe in you, let the haters fuel you.

You could do a DIY post-bac through UF if you’re living in the area. You apply as a second-degree-seeking student. No need to complete the degree. The cost difference between UF and Santa Fe will be minimal - the cost per credit hour is about the same and the major difference will be the additional charge for UF being a research university and the additional fees associated. I looked into something similar between going to either USF or FGCU vs the local community college and the 4-year universities were not too much more. My biggest issue was proximity - I was no where near a 4-year university and had to stay with family during the week to complete my post-bac.

The PHPB program is also very good. A few posters on here have gone through it and can tell you more. The downside is that it is significantly more expensive. So if cost is an issue, go DIY and go to UF if possible. If cost is not an issue, the PHPB is your best bet.

If you have CNA experience, which is direct patience care, you will want to look into non-clinical volunteering - volunteering with those less fortunate will be your best bet.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile