Univ of Virginia IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntMed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on this program. I noticed it did not fill last year. Thanks :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

don't know a lot about this program; reportedly very well-respected and the med school is top-notch. When I made a remark on here last year that was even in the vicinity of negative (not even) regarding UVA, one of the residents from UVA was very offended, so I won't talk too much.

My understanding (and you would be much better advised to talk to a UVA student or resident than me) is that UVA's strengths are great research opportunities across the board, really bright faculty, academically excellent. It seems a very similar program to Dartmouth in that it is in a more rural setting than the majority of IM programs, which is great for some people, particularly families with children. UVA is however, a larger college town, so there seems to be a bit more to do in Charlottesville than in Hanover, NH. I haven't been down to C-ville since childhood, but remember that it was just beautiful.

Potential disadvantages of the program:
1)UVA does interview a good # of IMG's, especially from SGU and the Irish schools; I met some people in this group at other interviews who said that the program was wonderful but that they felt somewhat left out as IMG's and as if they would not fit in there. Most of this year's intern class (just from a little browsing of match lists on my part) seems to be from state schools in the Southeast (UVA, EVMS, ECU, etc.). I don't think these characteristics are bad, but if you're not entirely comfortable being the "only" Yankee or IMG, you might want to look at other programs.

2)More rural area and lack of racially diverse population/substantial immigrant populations may be a disadvantage, depending on what you want to do in the future.. I also highly doubt that single med students and residents in C-ville are having the best time dating and meeting people (not that things are top notch here).

There are other threads under "interview experiences" regarding UVA; try a search. Good luck