===Univ. of Washington SOM c/o 2011===

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jillibean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd get this thread started since more and more WWAMI acceptances are going out. Where is everyone from and where are they going in the fall? I am from the Bonners Ferry area of Idaho and I'll be in Moscow/Pullman in the fall.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from the Seattle area. I don't think they've done the Seattle/Pullman lottery yet though, so I don't know which site I'd be at if I ended up at UW.

I'm from Butte, MT and I'll be in Bozeman next Fall. This is my first post on SDN although I've been haunting for some time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Butte, MT and I'll be in Bozeman next Fall. This is my first post on SDN although I've been haunting for some time.

Ah the famous butte (butt) Montana (no offense its a joke). I watched a show about Butte on Stephen Colbert and was rolling by the end. I'm sure its a great place though. Congrats on getting a highly coveted seat.

I thought I'd get this thread started since more and more WWAMI acceptances are going out. Where is everyone from and where are they going in the fall? I am from the Bonners Ferry area of Idaho and I'll be in Moscow/Pullman in the fall.

I also was accepted a few weeks ago and will be heading up to beautiful Moscow for year one. I'm from Meridian, Idaho. Congrats, jillibean. I only know of two other people besides us that are Idaho residents accepted already to UW.

Because you're from up north, you probably know more about housing. I heard it fills quick so I'm kind of jumping the gun to start looking. Let me know if you know anything.

hey! another idaho wwami accepted applicant here! good to see a threat for us.

I also was accepted a few weeks ago and will be heading up to beautiful Moscow for year one. I'm from Meridian, Idaho. Congrats, jillibean. I only know of two other people besides us that are Idaho residents accepted already to UW.

Because you're from up north, you probably know more about housing. I heard it fills quick so I'm kind of jumping the gun to start looking. Let me know if you know anything.

One of my best friends is starting vet school at WSU in the fall so we are planning on getting a place in Pullman (although I've heard moscow is more fun). I've heard that once school gets closer to finishing (~May) then places become available, but the good ones do go fast. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything more. Congrats everyone!! :clap:

I just heard that visitation day for newly accepted students will be March 19th. Does anybody have any more information on that?

Yay! I'm so happy to have been directed to this thread, I've been looking for you guys for weeks!!:thumbup:
At any rate, I'm a WY resident and I'll be headed to Laramie next year, but I did my undergrad in ID, so feel free to PM me with any Moscow/Pullman questions.
Hope to hear more from Wyoming, would love to chat with all of you.:)

Anyone know anything about institutional merit scholarships/applications. At my interview day they implied there were some - likely limited - merit scholarship opportunities from UW itself, but I haven't heard anything about that since from the fin. aid e-mail list.

Thanks!

Anyone know anything about institutional merit scholarships/applications. At my interview day they implied there were some - likely limited - merit scholarship opportunities from UW itself, but I haven't heard anything about that since from the fin. aid e-mail list.

Thanks!

I think there is an institutional scholarship application that is due at the end of May. You could probably contact the Fin Aid office for more info.

does anyone know about housing? some schools have websites for med students to find roomates. anything like this in UW??

I haven't heard about a housing list. Sorry.

Hope some of you Idaho folk are heading to Moscow/Pullman for Visitation Day this Monday (3.19.07). I thought it was nice of them to e-mail us just 4-5 days prior to the event but I guess they were waiting for the final Idaho decisions. Also, does anybody know about where we are meeting on Monday?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted!!! I am so excited.

Hi,

I just got accepted today, too!! And you know what a great feeling that is. Hope to meet you in Seattle for 1st year and everyone else 2nd year.

Hi,

I just got accepted today, too!! And you know what a great feeling that is. Hope to meet you in Seattle for 1st year and everyone else 2nd year.

Congrats!!!:clap:

Hi,

When did you interview?

Thought it was time I said hello to my future classmates as well. I'll be in Seattle this fall! Can't wait to meet you guys! :D

Does anyone know when we start? I haven't received my info packet yet. Thanks!

the packet doesnt say when we start, it has orientation dates that are from the last year as well, so that is not even set up yet.
Back to the housing question, how are people in Seattle going to be looking for housing? just randomly? with random roomates? I wish they had some way that would help med students find other med student roomates.

the packet doesnt say when we start, it has orientation dates that are from the last year as well, so that is not even set up yet.
Back to the housing question, how are people in Seattle going to be looking for housing? just randomly? with random roomates? I wish they had some way that would help med students find other med student roomates.

I am going to live at Radford Court with my kitties. If I didn't have 2 cats I probably would try to find a roommate. You could live at the med school frat. I will ask some of my friends that are at uwsom right now and see if there is anything to coordinate housing.

I am going to live at Radford Court with my kitties. If I didn't have 2 cats I probably would try to find a roommate. You could live at the med school frat. I will ask some of my friends that are at uwsom right now and see if there is anything to coordinate housing.

oooh..thanks!! that would be awesome.

QUOTE]

I don't know about everywhere, but I think it's generally true that classes follow orientation. I know the WY WWAMI site has orientation on a Friday and Saturday, then starts classes Monday. My packet had "tentative" orientation days in it.

I believe that classes usually start after Labor Day weekend. I got this information about orientation dates in my email when assigned to the Seattle WWAMI site:

Information on the required Seattle orientation program, which begins 8/28-9/1 and other relevant information will be available on line at:

http://www.uwmedicine.org/Education/MDProgram/StudentAffairsAndServices/Orientation

I assume so because I didn't check the Pullman box.

Oddly enough, it doesn't matter if you check the box, if you're a WA resident you'll be automatically put in the lottery. They've already done the lottery for the 1st half of the class, and will do a 2nd one with the rest of the class.

hope to see you in seattle next fall!

Oddly enough, it doesn't matter if you check the box, if you're a WA resident you'll be automatically put in the lottery. They've already done the lottery for the 1st half of the class, and will do a 2nd one with the rest of the class.

hope to see you in seattle next fall!

Yeah I figured that out when I got my acceptance packet on Friday :(

I believe that classes usually start after Labor Day weekend. I got this information about orientation dates in my email when assigned to the Seattle WWAMI site:

Information on the required Seattle orientation program, which begins 8/28-9/1 and other relevant information will be available on line at:

http://www.uwmedicine.org/Education/MDProgram/StudentAffairsAndServices/Orientation

Yeah, but dates on the website are from LAST YEAR, beware...!

By the way--any WY people out there? Has anyone heard ANYTHING from UWyo about when we'll need to head there to sign contracts? I know they said it might be sometime in March/April...

So is anyone, (Washington residents, that is), volunteering for the Pullman/Moscow site? I talked to someone at the admissions office today, and she said they have never had a class where all 20 students had volunteered to go there, and thus a lottery had to be used every year. I am on the fence about taking classes at Idaho/WSU. More than likely, I will submit a letter stating my preference for Seattle, and hopefully that will be good enough and my name won't be submitted into the lottery.

This will make living arrangements, etc, much more easier to deal with... IMO, the Seattle site is better for us city folk to make the transition to med school. Although I have heard very good reviews about the Pullman/Moscow experience. So please go mark WSU if you want to.

Is there a second look for the Seattle campus (WA residents)? I know from the other schools that I was accepted into that they have some kind of formal 2nd look weekend. I haven't received all my acceptance info so I was just curious. Thanks.

I believe that for the lottery, all names of WA residents are in the lottery. After names have been selected, they look at the circumstances of the individual students. They do the lottery, and then call every student to let them know whether they were chosen or not. You usually have to have a pretty compelling reason to be in Seattle, such as you are married, or have children (I'm sure that there are other reasons as well). I know people who where WWAMI'd for this years class, and some of them had long term partners in the area, and they were still sent to the Mascow/Pullman site. But it sounds as though most people are happy there.

Hey All ~

I'm an OOS from Baltimore & will be heading to Seattle in August. Hope to see you all there.

About housing - I heard from my friend, who's a 1st year medical, that a housing list with potential roommates will be sent out/published shortly.

Vaultergirl - I have 2 cats too, so I need a roommate who'll be okay with that

Hey All ~

I'm an OOS from Baltimore & will be heading to Seattle in August. Hope to see you all there.

About housing - I heard from my friend, who's a 1st year medical, that a housing list with potential roommates will be sent out/published shortly.

Vaultergirl - I have 2 cats too, so I need a roommate who'll be okay with that

o thanks for posting that. I was worried about that since I am also OOS. so do we know when they are sending this out?

I just found out that I am 3rd on the ranked waitlist!! I think I have a pretty good chance of seeing you all this fall.

Congrats to you FZ and everyone else in the pot!!!

It's so in the bag!! :)

To Angeljj, post here soon!!

Congrats to all the new acceptees! Lookin' forward to meeting all of you at year-2. Too bad we have to wait that long. ;) Who knows, some of you newbies may get WWAMIed!! :eek:

I'm here in Ellensburg right now so if I went to pullman the first year I wouldn't mind but we'll see.

Spoke to my friend yesterday & need to make a correction on my previous post.

UWSOM doesn't send a mass email out for potential roommates. Once we set up our u.washington.edu email accounts, people will start emailing each other & finding roommates early. If this falls through, we can contact the financial aid office or OMCA & they'll help us find housing.

>> Vitapita - where're you from ?

I'm here in Ellensburg right now so if I went to pullman the first year I wouldn't mind but we'll see.

Oh please volunteer to go if you really are indifferent. I don't want to give up my house, my job, and my clinical work here in Seattle until the third year. :D

Spoke to my friend yesterday & need to make a correction on my previous post.

UWSOM doesn't send a mass email out for potential roommates. Once we set up our u.washington.edu email accounts, people will start emailing each other & finding roommates early. If this falls through, we can contact the financial aid office or OMCA & they'll help us find housing.

>> Vitapita - where're you from ?

i'm from Northern California. Thanks for the correction :)

Could any first years or those familiar with the first year schedule give me an idea of the class commitment for students and an idea of the daily schedule? I remember seeing a daily schedule somewhere but I cannot find it anymore.

BTW, I just found out that I am #10 on the ranked list (actually #9 now, someone apparently dropped this morning). Hope to see all you in the fall!

Could any first years or those familiar with the first year schedule give me an idea of the class commitment for students and an idea of the daily schedule? I remember seeing a daily schedule somewhere but I cannot find it anymore.

BTW, I just found out that I am #10 on the ranked list (actually #9 now, someone apparently dropped this morning). Hope to see all you in the fall!

http://apps.medical.washington.edu/somoc/fs4_first_seattle_schedules.asp

Hopefully this is what you are looking for. Click "switch to weekly view"

VG, thank you, that is indeed what I was looking for.

It seems like there is a ton of class time, but how much of that time are students really in class/lab? In other words, might a class/lab be scheduled for 3 hours but in practice students actually get out at one or two hours?

What kind of daily schedule do students usually keep (seems like the curriculum would be good for night owls - I'm a morning person, though, so I may have to adjust my style).

VG, thank you, that is indeed what I was looking for.

It seems like there is a ton of class time, but how much of that time are students really in class/lab? In other words, might a class/lab be scheduled for 3 hours but in practice students actually get out at one or two hours?

What kind of daily schedule do students usually keep (seems like the curriculum would be good for night owls - I'm a morning person, though, so I may have to adjust my style).

From the people that I know at UWSOM (MS I, II, III) they are pretty much in class the majority of the time. Especially since the lectures are not taped or recorded. Lame I know! This schedule is definetly going to test my attention span.

From the people that I know at UWSOM (MS I, II, III) they are pretty much in class the majority of the time. Especially since the lectures are not taped or recorded. Lame I know! This schedule is definetly going to test my attention span.

In spite of this fact (which I did not know until this very moment), I do know that a lot of people still don't go to lecture ever, except for tests, or course. They get the phone-book-size syllabus, maybe some appropriate books and what not, and study everything on their own. I would be very nervous about doing this, but I'm told that the initial nervousness passes.

In spite of this fact (which I did not know until this very moment), I do know that a lot of people still don't go to lecture ever, except for tests, or course. They get the phone-book-size syllabus, maybe some appropriate books and what not, and study everything on their own. I would be very nervous about doing this, but I'm told that the initial nervousness passes.

I am going to try to go to lecture at first and if that doesn't work out, your plan sounds like something that I might try. My friends also tend to feel guilty about not going to class and end up not paying attention and surfing the internet.:laugh:

VG, why are you in North Carolina? Are you just finishing your undergraduate there? At UNC? You're originally from Washington, aren't you? Why did you go there? I ask because I was headed to UNC for med school up until the moment that my acceptance from UW arrived, so I'm now intensely curious about UNC, Chapel Hill, NC, etc.

The amount of time spent in class at UW is pretty high. I would say that during anatomy most people went to class, and most people stayed through the lab time. Anatomy is crazy, especially if you are at the Seattle site b/c you get through all of it in only 6 wks. You have a ton to learn, in a short amount of time, so people tend to use up lab time. After anatomy, most classes thin out in terms of attendance. Some classes have lots of people showing up, while others (such as biochem) a lot of people tend to leave. Every quarter is a little different. Like I said, anatomy is crazy, and will definately keep you on your toes. The second half of fall "quarter" is very relaxed. Winter is busy b/c the # of classes that you take doubles, and a couple of those classes are very challenging. And spring, we only have two classes, but we have lots of class/lab hours, and micro was one of the most failed classes last year (so we are all a little bit unnerved about how to tackle the insane amount of imformation that we have to memorize). Hope this helps.

Oh please volunteer to go if you really are indifferent. I don't want to give up my house, my job, and my clinical work here in Seattle until the third year. :D

I meant I wouldn't mind (meaning if I were forced to go there) ending up in pullman but my first choice is Seattle as I have a wife and 2 kids so it would be nice not to have to move a year later.