University of Appalachia School of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everybody,
Count me in for carpooling. Im flying from CA too, which hotel are you all staying at? Thanks! Hope to see you guy ssoon

Members don't see this ad.

How far is Winston-Salem, NC from Grundy, VA. It does not look that far on the map.

I am in Raleigh, and I know that some people go camping in Grundy. And they claim it is 3-4 hours from Raleigh.

I just received an email response from Vicki Keene. The Interview Invitation is definately Legit and not a mistake.

From Vicki:
You are scheduled to interview on Saturday, December 2nd. If you have not already submitted your supplemental application and $100 application fee, please visit our website at www.uacp.org and download the supplemental application, complete and sign the last page. You will need to mail the application and $100 application fee or bring these items with you to the interview.

The airport nearest to UACP is the Tri-Cities Airport (TRI) in Kingsport, TN. The drive from the airport is 2 to 2 ½ hours and requires a rental car. There is no public transportation available. The phone number for the local hotel is (276) 935-5050, the Grundy Comfort Inn.

Alright Everybody! Let's get a head count of who is definately interested in car pooling and sharing a hotel room. I am flying in Friday December 1st @ 2:25 pm and departing Sunday December 3rd at 7:59am.

I went ahead and Reserved a Room at the Comfort Inn in GRUNDY for Friday December 1st (Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking) about $76.00 a night. I also Booked One Night in Tri-Cities Kingsport LaQuinta Inn for Saturday Night December 2nd for $60+tax ( Two Beds Non-Smoking and is only 2 miles from the airport!!) I think it's best if we all drove to Grundy the day we arrive and obviously spend the night there. I think it's also best to drive back to Tri-Cities after our interviews and stay the second night in Tri-Cities so that we can catch our flight in time for departure on Sunday. What does everybody think of that? All I have left to book is a rental car!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys I think UACP is doing the same thing as Pacific U. They are accepting most of the candidates for interview and from the "in-person" interview, that's how they would base their acceptance on. Unlike other schools which have already weeded out the lower GPA students and inviting only the competent candidates - therefore, the candidates who receive an interview have a better chance of getting accepted in contrast to UACP. But then again, it's just my opinion. btw, I got an inteview on the 16th but my initial interview date was set on the 2nd. I haven't replied or confirm anything with them on the 2nd so they automatically rescheduled my interview date to the 16th...how nice is that? However, they seem a little "too" nice don't you think?

Hi Survivor!

That sucks wished you could be there with all of us December 2nd!

I also received an email today stating that I was invited to their interview December 16th.
I called Vickie Keene, but was transfered to her voicemail.
It seems like she has been receiving a lot of mails and phone calls.

I was a bit confused on this, but I guess I have been invited for their interview!! wooO hOo!!! :)

Do you guys know how many people they invite and accept? Also, how many round of interviews do they have?

Thanks!!!

what time is everyone's flight landing on Friday? I need to decide between 5 pm or 7pm...

I am arriving in Tri-Cities Friday, December 1 at 2:25pm

Guys I think UACP is doing the same thing as Pacific U. They are accepting most of the candidates for interview and from the "in-person" interview, that's how they would base their acceptance on. Unlike other schools which have already weeded out the lower GPA students and inviting only the competent candidates - therefore, the candidates who receive an interview have a better chance of getting accepted in contrast to UACP. But then again, it's just my opinion. btw, I got an inteview on the 16th but my initial interview date was set on the 2nd. I haven't replied or confirm anything with them on the 2nd so they automatically rescheduled my interview date to the 16th...how nice is that? However, they seem a little "too" nice don't you think?

Pacific already received 400+ applications (as of 9/10/06) That was for the application being online for 40 days. I would guess that the number has doubled since then - and they only have 4 interview sessions. They invited 40 students for round 1, 40 more for round 2, and the next 2 dates have not yet been announced. I dont think just anyone gets an interview. Getting an interview means you made the first cut. Getting accepted means you made the second. That is a universal idea, one I think every school uses. It would be crazy to invite "everyone" who fills out an app. No school is easy to get into anymore. Good luck to those with interviews, and congrats on making the first cut.

~above~

Alright Everybody! Let's get a head count of who is definately interested in car pooling and sharing a hotel room. I am flying in Friday December 1st @ 2:25 pm and departing Sunday December 3rd at 7:59am.

I went ahead and Reserved a Room at the Comfort Inn in GRUNDY for Friday December 1st (Two Queen Beds Non-Smoking) about $76.00 a night. I also Booked One Night in Tri-Cities Kingsport LaQuinta Inn for Saturday Night December 2nd for $60+tax ( Two Beds Non-Smoking and is only 2 miles from the airport!!) I think it's best if we all drove to Grundy the day we arrive and obviously spend the night there. I think it's also best to drive back to Tri-Cities after our interviews and stay the second night in Tri-Cities so that we can catch our flight in time for departure on Sunday. What does everybody think of that? All I have left to book is a rental car!!

Ya...even i got a interview for dec.2. they dont even have my PCAT scores or my supp application so i have no idea but i am going.

What happened to everybody? This thread like got quiet. Where is everybody who is interviewing Dec 2nd?? Am I the only one that actually BOOKED?? :scared:

Mine got pushed back to Dec 16th. So good luck you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
who's flight plan is similar to me, please PM me, we could share on carpool.
Thanks.

Is anyone worried about the accreditation status of the school? "Cautionary" status... what is that!

I'm a student at UACP, and we're on cautionary status because we didn't have a dean at the time of the ACPE's spring visit, and our new building wasn't completely ready for the incoming class. It really isn't a big deal. Our new dean and new faculty are working REALLY HARD to get this school accredited. The politicians and community leaders of the region are not going to let this school fail to get accreditation either. The county needs these pharmacy and law schools to thrive, as well as the forensic science program that is in the works. I don't doubt that we will get our full accreditation when the 1st class graduates in 2008.

This is coming from someone who had a friend that went to HICP, so I am very skeptical until I do own my research.

P.S. Fly into the Tri-Cities airport. Stay at the Comfort Inn in Grundy. Where are your interviews at? Slate Creek or Garden campus? Good Luck to everyone!

I'm a student at UACP, and we're on cautionary status because we didn't have a dean at the time of the ACPE's spring visit, and our new building wasn't completely ready for the incoming class. It really isn't a big deal. Our new dean and new faculty are working REALLY HARD to get this school accredited. The politicians and community leaders of the region are not going to let this school fail to get accreditation either. The county needs these pharmacy and law schools to thrive, as well as the forensic science program that is in the works. I don't doubt that we will get our full accreditation when the 1st class graduates in 2008.

This is coming from someone who had a friend that went to HICP, so I am very skeptical until I do own my research.

P.S. Fly into the Tri-Cities airport. Stay at the Comfort Inn in Grundy. Where are your interviews at? Slate Creek or Garden campus? Good Luck to everyone!

That's good news. By the way, we have interview at the Garden Campus. I realized that it takes 7 hours from where I live (Annapolis, Maryland). It will be a long drive.
If you don't mind can you share your stat last year (GPA, PCAT)?

Hey comet81, I'm in the same boat --- I might drive with mommy dearest since it'll be a GRAND 12hr drive for me YAY (NOT!) (from NJ). Flying would be better but the 2hr car rental seems like such a hassle. Does anyone know what time the interview starts? I emailed Vickie, she said the info should be up on their website today... yet its not, or I cant seem to find it. Please post it here if you guys find out.

Yea its supposed to be on today but its not...they seem like they have their act together down there in grundy...haha...if not it should be up tomorrow...

Vicki emailed me back and said the the Agenda for the interview will be posted on the website. She also said that the interview will start at 8:30am Saturday December 2, 2006

Do you guys know how many people they invite and accept? Also, how many round of interviews do they have?

The class of 2010 will have 65 students in it.

Ms. Keene is a VERY busy woman. E-mail might be the best way to get in touch with anyone should you have questions or concerns.

My hometown is the Tri-Cities (Johnson City, actually). I'm a PY1 at UNC, but I go home every other weekend. Unfortunately, I won't be home (at least I don't think I will be) when you all are doing this but I would have been willing to meet you guys at the airport and give you good directions to Grundy, etc.

Pharm students gotta stick together, ya know?:D

Anyways, good luck.:luck:

Hey comet81, I'm in the same boat --- I might drive with mommy dearest since it'll be a GRAND 12hr drive for me YAY (NOT!) (from NJ). Flying would be better but the 2hr car rental seems like such a hassle. Does anyone know what time the interview starts? I emailed Vickie, she said the info should be up on their website today... yet its not, or I cant seem to find it. Please post it here if you guys find out.

Hello, ADN1226
I was thinking about flying instead of driving but I think driving might save lots of money. Since it is christmas season, flying ticket is about 500$ per person. Well,,,I will save that money for gas and hotel.
By the way, can I ask you your Stat? I am so worried about pharmacy school at this time. My stat might not be as good as others, so I really have to be good in this interview.

Yea I just got an email from them today for an interview on the 12/02...I have everything sent but still waiting on for the pharmacist's letter. I think they are assuming that everyone who got invited will send in the rest of the application before the interview...Besides they are still waiting for my pcat scores!!!

I called them and they said it had to be sent before the interview. DO you know if the school is accredited? if you do not mind me asking guys..waht did u guys put for #12 and #13 on the supp. application...this application is so long and confusing :confused:

The class of 2010 will have 65 students in it.

Ms. Keene is a VERY busy woman. E-mail might be the best way to get in touch with anyone should you have questions or concerns.

Can you share a little bit about the interview process and the questions and hwo easy it is to get in? Do you have any pointers/suggetions.

Hi everyone,

I will have an Interview in Dec 2. I am from gainesvile, Florida. Is there anyone here from Gainesville? I will land at 11am in TRI and have a rental car, Comfort Inn. Do you guys want to share a rental car with me?

Does anyone know if the agenda has been posted up for the Dec 2nd interview yet? I have turned their webpage upside down looking for it, and have yet to find it. Will someone let me know where to go or possibly give a link to it? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

POLOGIRL242

Also, to any of the other students that are staying at the Grundy Comfort Inn, which I am assuming is everyone who will be present that day......do you guys want to meet up in the lobby and meet each other, or go to dinner or something the night before? I know I won't know anyone else....and I would like to check out my competitors in the interviews.....hehehe....just kidding......or possibly meet people that we could get to know better so maybe we can carpool to the site or something because I think the Garden Campus is like 10 or 15 miles away from Grundy, if I checked things out correctly?? Any comments, agreements, or objections??

Does anyone know if the agenda has been posted up for the Dec 2nd interview yet? I have turned their webpage upside down looking for it, and have yet to find it. Will someone let me know where to go or possibly give a link to it? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

POLOGIRL242

Also, to any of the other students that are staying at the Grundy Comfort Inn, which I am assuming is everyone who will be present that day......do you guys want to meet up in the lobby and meet each other, or go to dinner or something the night before? I know I won't know anyone else....and I would like to check out my competitors in the interviews.....hehehe....just kidding......or possibly meet people that we could get to know better so maybe we can carpool to the site or something because I think the Garden Campus is like 10 or 15 miles away from Grundy, if I checked things out correctly?? Any comments, agreements, or objections??

Hi Pologirl,
This should be a great idea when we meet in in the lobby of the hotel before dinner. I will be looking for my " competitor" before the " game" ...ha ha ha....
If you see the Asian guy around the lobby, that will be me ...Hope to see ya there too...

Hey everybody, finally confirmed a flight...landing on 7:30 pm. anybody wanto share a room and car...??? 22 female

hey ppl, are you guys typing out or writing your answers for the supplemental? Their form won't let us type into the form w/ adobe. Thanks!

hey ppl, are you guys typing out or writing your answers for the supplemental? Their form won't let us type into the form w/ adobe. Thanks!

On my version of adobe there's a typewriter function that you can use to type on forms like that.

What version adobe do you have ageldred? I was thinking of hand writing it but it looks so unprofessional!

What version adobe do you have ageldred? I was thinking of hand writing it but it looks so unprofessional!

hey i called them and they said we can turn in a word doc. for the resonses, because i am not sure if i want to use my type writer to type out the ans. to this long supp. application.

I was reviewing the past posts, and I was really curious to know......how many of you guys are asian?? If I'm not mistaken, we have atleast 5 that have posted responses.......what do you guys think?? I'm Asian too.....are they basing this on ethnicity?? I'm just curious......

Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0. So I guess it's more than just the reader you download off the net. (A good friend set up my computer for me I don't really know what I have on it until I look!) See if your school computer lab has the professional version, it's a lot easier to type on their form using that. However someone else posted about copying and pasting into a word document so that could work too.

I was reviewing the past posts, and I was really curious to know......how many of you guys are asian?? If I'm not mistaken, we have atleast 5 that have posted responses.......what do you guys think?? I'm Asian too.....are they basing this on ethnicity?? I'm just curious......

I guess if you are Asian, you are Vietnamese, right? I am Vietnamese. Is there any Viet who will have Interview in Dec 2?

I guess if you are Asian, you are Vietnamese, right? I am Vietnamese. Is there any Viet who will have Interview in Dec 2?

being asian means being vietnamese?

Actually, no....I'm not vietnamese......I'm Hmong. But I do look Chinese....hehehe....just kidding. So I see that this interview must really be about 50% Asian as I thought......hmmmmmm.......interesting....don't you think??

Actually, no....I'm not vietnamese......I'm Hmong. But I do look Chinese....hehehe....just kidding. So I see that this interview must really be about 50% Asian as I thought......hmmmmmm.......interesting....don't you think??
yeah, I guess for all of pharm, med, and den now, if they have interview, more than 50% will be AZN... How smart AZN is!!! Proud of being an AZN...hahaha..
You said you are Hmong? what does Hmong mean?:confused:

I am Asian too.

You said you are Hmong? what does Hmong mean?:confused:

This might answer your question. But if you want to know more about the Hmong people and possible cultural barriers/differences that healthcare professionals may encounter, I would suggest reading The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. Pologirl, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on this book if you've read it - in a different thread though (sorry to get off topic).

I am indian...which means im also asian... Has anyone finished the supplemental application? :sleep:

Hey wynn i'm viet too... wait a min... is your last name nguyen? judging from your sn.... hehe? Oh my interview got pushed back to the 16th so I wont be meeting you. I havent finished the supp... its too long!!! I know comet81 has and probably a few of you guys that are interviewing the 2nd.

I am indian...which means im also asian... Has anyone finished the supplemental application? :sleep:

I finished my supplemental app . It is so long and expensive, I didnt type it....

Pacific already received 400+ applications (as of 9/10/06) That was for the application being online for 40 days. I would guess that the number has doubled since then - and they only have 4 interview sessions. They invited 40 students for round 1, 40 more for round 2, and the next 2 dates have not yet been announced. I dont think just anyone gets an interview. Getting an interview means you made the first cut. Getting accepted means you made the second. That is a universal idea, one I think every school uses. It would be crazy to invite "everyone" who fills out an app. No school is easy to get into anymore. Good luck to those with interviews, and congrats on making the first cut.

~above~

And I agree with your "universal idea" that every school do not invite all the applicants. However, you are not 100% sure about this, because as a matter of fact, my friends and I have received interview invitations to Pacific University and our applications are missing LOR's and numerous transcripts. The same thing is happening with UACP. Now how will you explain this? My GPA is not stellar, I lack work experience, and I am in need of some letters of recommendations. Yet, I received interview invitations from Pacific U and now UACP. I guess these schools are unique, am I correct? Furthermore, it proves that the "universal idea" that all schools only invite those competent enough doesn't hold true to every school like you so confidently preached to everyone here. And just for the record, I'm not an HICP student, I am in HI, I am a survivor because I came back from my tours in Iraq alive. So I don't know why a UACP student in this thread is bring HICP into this. Is it professional for Pharm.D candidates to claim "AZN" pride on a public site?

~above~

And I agree with your "universal idea" that every school do not invite all the applicants. However, you are not 100% sure about this, because as a matter of fact, my friends and I have received interview invitations to Pacific University and our applications are missing LOR's and numerous transcripts. The same thing is happening with UACP. Now how will you explain this? My GPA is not stellar, I lack work experience, and I am in need of some letters of recommendations. Yet, I received interview invitations from Pacific U and now UACP. I guess these schools are unique, am I correct? Furthermore, it proves that the "universal idea" that all schools only invite those competent enough doesn't hold true to every school like you so confidently preached to everyone here. And just for the record, I'm not an HICP student, I am in HI, I am a survivor because I came back from my tours in Iraq alive. So I don't know why a UACP student in this thread is bring HICP into this. What's more, is it professional for Pharm.D candidates to claim "AZN" pride on a public site?

Hey wynn i'm viet too... wait a min... is your last name nguyen? judging from your sn.... hehe? Oh my interview got pushed back to the 16th so I wont be meeting you. I havent finished the supp... its too long!!! I know comet81 has and probably a few of you guys that are interviewing the 2nd.

Hey ADN1226, yeah, my last name is Nguyen...to bad, I can not see ya on Dec 2:oops: , ...which state are you from? I am from Florida...:)

And I agree with your "universal idea" that every school do not invite all the applicants. However, you are not 100% sure about this, because as a matter of fact, my friends and I have received interview invitations to Pacific University and our applications are missing LOR's and numerous transcripts. The same thing is happening with UACP. Now how will you explain this? My GPA is not stellar, I lack work experience, and I am in need of some letters of recommendations. Yet, I received interview invitations from Pacific U and now UACP. I guess these schools are unique, am I correct? Furthermore, it proves that the "universal idea" that all schools only invite those competent enough doesn't hold true to every school like you so confidently preached to everyone here. And just for the record, I'm not an HICP student, I am in HI, I am a survivor because I came back from my tours in Iraq alive. So I don't know why a UACP student in this thread is bring HICP into this. What's more, is it professional for Pharm.D candidates to claim "AZN" pride on a public site?

Sorry, I really didn't mean to offend you if I did about the AZN pride thing. I was just curious because it looks like UACP is interested in a diverse group, so I wanted a head count. Didn't realize that I was making anyone feel uncomfortable or looking "unprofessional" in doing so.

Directions for UACP: Garden Campus

From TRI (airport)
1. From Airport take 81 N to Abingdon, VA
2. Take the EXIT 14 (In Virginia) - toward US-19 N / ABINGDON.
3. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto US-19 / W MAIN ST / US-11 / LEE HWY. Continue to follow W MAIN ST / US-11 / LEE HWY.
4. Turn LEFT onto US-19 N / BLUEFIELD HWY / PORTERFIELD HWY SW. Continue to follow US-19 N. go approximately 45 miles to Claypool Hill/Cedar Bluff, VA.
5. Turn left onto US-460 W at Claypool Hill and travel approximately 20 miles on US 460 W.
6. The Garden campus will be on your left when you reach the town of Oakwood, Virginia.
7. Continue another 10-15 miles to town of Grundy for the Comfort Inn (276-935-5050)

PS: If you use MapQuest to get directions to Oakwood or Grundy it will give you directions through back roads/single lane roads. The above directions keep you on the major 4 lane roads. If you want an actual map for driving directions I would suggest you first get MapQuest from TRI to Claypool Hill and then from Claypool Hill to Oakwood or Grundy.