University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone planning on being there for the interview date this upcoming Monday? Planning on getting into town on Sunday the 28th?

I'll be there Monday, but I'm flying up tomorrow instead of Sunday.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can find me a facility of comparable quality to 21 Fitz and Copper Flats within 5 minutes of campus that will rent you any number of bedrooms for $650 I will give you a dollar. If you're going to pay that price, you'll sacrifice certain amenities.

Also, if you can find a house for $750, more power to you.

not necessarily as luxurious as fitz 21 for that price, but you have some units on paris street west of the campus with new hardwood floors and cabinets, stainless steel, tile, etc, but they still go for less than fitz 21, probably 650-850 range.

not necessarily as luxurious as fitz 21 for that price, but you have some units on paris street west of the campus with new hardwood floors and cabinets, stainless steel, tile, etc, but they still go for less than fitz 21, probably 650-850 range.

I know 21 Fitz charges a premium for its location and a separate premium for its amenities, which makes it a terrible deal, but you do get what you pay for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently live at 21 Fitz and I love it. There are plenty of pharmacy (and other grad) students that live here as well. It's very convenient to walk to campus...in regards to someone's question about driving to campus, you'd be made fun of if someone found out you walked to class from here lol. It's right across the street from the library which is good if you have annoying roomies like I do :p jk. I believe each unit has a washer/dryer which is sooo convenient and you also get free printing at the computer lab in the leasing office. Depending on what you're used to, it is a bit pricey. But I'm from CA so it really is dirt cheap for me. I live in the master and pay $625 a month (used to be $600). Hopefully rent doesn't go up again next year but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. It's definitely worth it to live here, esp. if you're not familiar with driving in the snow. If any of you have additional questions, feel free to message me. Good luck to all on interviews :)

I live in the master and pay $625 a month (used to be $600). Hopefully rent doesn't go up again next year but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. It's definitely worth it to live here, esp. if you're not familiar with driving in the snow.

Do you have a 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom apartment? $625 isn't the worst deal of the century...

Do you have a 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom apartment? $625 isn't the worst deal of the century...

i live in a 2 bedroom. unfortunately there aren't any 3 bedroom apts at 21 fitz. i believe our apt is one of the smallest 2 bedroom units (square-footage wise) but it's still very spacious. i think some of the larger units may be closer to ~ $1350-1400/month? our rent right now is < $1200 so i'm happy, but i know others pay more.

if you have a car, or bus pass, i live out near Washington park and pay $615 for a pretty good sized 1 bedroom, and its quiet!!

It wouldnt hurt to look a little out of aurora b/c aurora isnt the greatest part of denver and it can be expensive.

Anyone else have their apps sent out? Mine was sent out by pharmcas on Dec. 2nd (I submitted in october). Hopefully I will see an interview.

Anyone else have their apps sent out? Mine was sent out by pharmcas on Dec. 2nd (I submitted in october). Hopefully I will see an interview.

I got an email 12/2 stating they had received pharmCAS and my supp. And an interview offer on 12/6, they're pretty darn quick!

Jeez, I am a little worried now! I remember sending my supplement to them but I never got notified if they recieved it. I will email Julie and see if she has it on file.

I sent my application 11/29/10. Does anyone know if this has severely handicapped my chance for an interview this spring at Colorado? Any previous applicants who got there application in at the deadline? Thanks any advice/words of wisdom welcome!

They took a while to e-mail me about my application being complete, I think around 2-3 weeks? This was back in late Sept/early Oct though... but they do send out a "you are 100% complete" type of email when they have received everything though.

& I don't think you've severely handicapped yourself as long as you turned everything in by the deadline. They seem to have lots of interview dates that span from Jan to late March :)

:luck:

Thank you for the 411. How brutal was the interview process? My grades are solid but not 4.0 but I do have pharma exp and obtained pharm tech certification. Also speak another language. Hoping this will help but am sure others will have this type of background too. I do want to be prepared if I get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview itself wasn't brutal at all, the time slot is only about 20 minutes long. I kind of felt poorly about it afterwards because there were people who took 30+ minutes while I only left after 20, but I guess that didn't really matter. Like I said in a previous post, it's not one on one which kind of threw me a little off because I was expecting just one faculty member. My faculty interviewer was beyond nice though and totally put me at ease, but my community pharmacist seemed harder to please. After I felt just okay about my interview but compared to other schools where my interview was an hour long, it wasn't grueling or anything at all.

They do ask about ethics in and out of the pharmacy so be prepared for that, as well as questions that ask you why you're a better candidate than the rest of the interviewees there. I also specifically remember being asked about something I wish I could improve myself on and why. Finally, make SURE you go over their curriculum (like they say in the e-mail) because you will be asked about it and you don't want to miss out on that. & make sure you have a few questions for them too! & additionally, I would also highly recommend using SDN's feedback.

The entire day is somewhat long though, be prepared for a long tour, as well as a writing sample (not that hard though) and then a group activity (which was actually really fun).

I dunno if speaking another language will help... although I speak another myself. However, if you've classified yourself as non-native, they will give you a phone interview so don't worry if they call you about that. I kind of freaked out at first because I had no idea what it was for :rolleyes:

Also, during lunch, they do a presentation that tells you that the interview determines 50% of your chance, which is a huge chunk, so really prepare yourself for the day!

Last edited:
This information was very helpful to myself as well as others. I appreciate your candor and time that you spent answering my question. Thank you!

This information was very helpful to myself as well as others. I appreciate your candor and time that you spent answering my question. Thank you!

I hope it's ok if I ask this question here even though I'm not in college yet:

I'm wondering how to find out about how to major in pharmacy at University of Colorado. When I go to the website I click on "academics" and there is no "Pharmacy" or even a "medical" section. I'm so confused.

We are talking about the University of Colorado in Boulder right?

By the way, I just moved to this state so I know nothing about the colleges. I only know that as soon as I've been here a year I want to get started on my pre-studies and PharmD.

I'm wondering how to find out about how to major in pharmacy at University of Colorado. When I go to the website I click on "academics" and there is no "Pharmacy" or even a "medical" section. I'm so confused.

By the way, I just moved to this state so I know nothing about the colleges. I only know that as soon as I've been here a year I want to get started on my pre-studies and PharmD.

you got some serious amounts of research to do:
First CU has 3 campuses: boulder, denver, and c.springs- boulder is the big one, but denver is the med school.
I'm quite sure that boulder does not have a "pharmacy" majour (actually i'm pretty sure that that majour only exists in canadian uni's)- you need to do a scientific focus: bio and chem are the most popular.
Research pharm schools (they are professional schools, not grad or undergrad), pharmcas.org has a pretty solid directory. and CU will also offer great advisors, you can talk to a HS advisor to hook you up with that.
Dont forget about Colorado State either, they offer many of the same things and are a tad cheaper, plus its better to be a ram than a buff!

Where in the state do you live? CU is a fine school but it's not the only show in the state and depending on where you live you may have a better option for a state school when it comes to pre-reqs.

Where in the state do you live? CU is a fine school but it's not the only show in the state and depending on where you live you may have a better option for a state school when it comes to pre-reqs.

I live in Colorado. I just moved to Denver. The school sounded like it was a pretty good one as far as state colleges go.

But I don't know anything about colleges. When I was in high school I was planning on going straight to college as soon as graduation was over. But when I moved out when I was 17 I couldn't support myself and go to college at the same time so I mostly missed everything they teach you in senior year about these things.

I'm still figuring out this whole pre-studies thing and how to apply for loans, grants etc.

I live in Colorado. I just moved to Denver. The school sounded like it was a pretty good one as far as state colleges go.

But I don't know anything about colleges. When I was in high school I was planning on going straight to college as soon as graduation was over. But when I moved out when I was 17 I couldn't support myself and go to college at the same time so I mostly missed everything they teach you in senior year about these things.

I'm still figuring out this whole pre-studies thing and how to apply for loans, grants etc.

In your situation, I'd strongly recommend starting at community college and then transfer to either UC Denver or Metro State, both quality schools in Denver. CU Boulder is a great school but pricey. You could transfer there for your last two years, too.

In your situation, I'd strongly recommend starting at community college and then transfer to either UC Denver or Metro State, both quality schools in Denver. CU Boulder is a great school but pricey. You could transfer there for your last two years, too.

I thought that a couple posts back another poster said that the Denver location is the only med school? This made me think that for pharmacy you would have to go there then?

I thought that a couple posts back another poster said that the Denver location is the only med school? This made me think that for pharmacy you would have to go there then?

For the PharmD the only options are UC Denver and Regis (new program, private school, very expensive). For your prerequisites and your undergrad you can go anywhere.

I had an interview scheduled for Jan. 14 but I have withdrawn it because I got into my top choice. Hopefully one of you will be able to get it! :luck:

There are two PharmD programs in Colorado: University of Colorado Denver and Regis.

There are two medical school programs: MD program at the University of Colorado Denver and a new DO program that I can't remember the name of.

Hello all!

Any of those interviewed on 11/29 receive an acceptance email yet? Waiting for good news before the holidays!

The earliest we'll hear from them is this upcoming Monday.

Where did you hear that? I thought they said most notifications were in April or something

Where did you hear that? I thought they said most notifications were in April or something

They told us at the interview that their first round of acceptance letters would go out three weeks after the interview. However, they wouldn't be sending out the final rejection/acceptance letters until March or April.

I'll ditto kmapes, it sounded like 1st decisions from the last fall interview would be around next week, but the final decisions would be late March and April for the whole process.

They told us at the interview that their first round of acceptance letters would go out three weeks after the interview. However, they wouldn't be sending out the final rejection/acceptance letters until March or April.

:confused: I don't remember them saying anything about that during the Oct. 29th interview...

I hope it's true though! It'd be nice to talk to others who may be thinking of attending! :)

I wonder how much weight they apply to their interview day essay? From what I have heard (interview tour guide) they review grammar skills with comparison (overall content) of your application Pharmcas essay with the interview essay. Looking back, I remember misspelling patience for patients! :scared:

Still waiting to hear if I am going to get an interview or not. It's been 9 days since I got the "we got your applications" email.

I'm right there with you benelli. Good luck. Hopefully we hear soon.

I would guess that you wont hear from them until after the new year. I work at a university and I can tell ya that i'm apparently the only that showed up to work, everyone else has already left.

accepted this afternoon via email, almost 2 months after the interview; seems a little long but not complaining :D

Hi,
does anyone know how difficult/easy it is to gain an in-state residency in Colorado? I know due to budget cuts and poor economy, it's harder for people in other states to gain in-state residency lately... I was wondering what the situation in Colorado is like.
Thanks in advance!

accepted this afternoon via email, almost 2 months after the interview; seems a little long but not complaining :D

Niiiiiicee!! :highfive:

& from what I hear, it's fairly easy to get in-state as long as you follow the proper steps like changing your drivers license etc.

Niiiiiicee!! :highfive:

& from what I hear, it's fairly easy to get in-state as long as you follow the proper steps like changing your drivers license etc.

Thanks reg :) I'm really happy to hear from them.

Congrats to all who have heard of their acceptance to UC. This was my first choice, I think I am going to accept their offer.

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone had gotten the UC Denver interview on 1/14 and would like to switch with me for the 1/21? I will be in Denver on the 14th so it would be more convenient for me to not fly back a week later. Thanks!

I wish I could switch with you iderekk but I have a late interview (February 4). I'm interviewing at Texas Tech on January 28th so I couldn't take that earlier date.

Anyone else with late interview dates?

Also, I am a texas resident. Does anyone know about how many out of state spots are filled? Or if they take a certain amount from each interview date?

I have a degree and lots of pharmacy experience and I haven't been too nervous about the interview until seeing all of these posts about acceptance already.

I knew I should have got the early application in! lol. Oh well.
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

To those who already interviewed:

What will be the best way of getting to the school from Denver airport? Public transportation? Hotel shuttles? Rent a car services? or cabs? I have never been to the Denver area, so will greatly appreciate any advice regarding this.

Much thanks

What will be the best way of getting to the school from Denver airport? Public transportation? Hotel shuttles? Rent a car services? or cabs? I have never been to the Denver area, so will greatly appreciate any advice regarding this.

Much thanks

I highly recommend shuttles. I took a taxi to the school and it ended up costing me around 45. I took a shuttle back to the airport and it was like 18. I know some other people at my interview rented cars which was apparently pretty cheap too because they were planning to stay in Denver to explore a bit.

If anyone is committing, PM me! :) We should make a FB group or something haha.

& honestly, don't be nervous about the interview. It's only 20 minutes long! But just be sure to go over SDN's interview feedback so you know what you're in for. The essay isn't bad and the group activity is kinda fun... just be yourself :)

Much thanks

I booked a rental with my flight. $18 or so for an Impala. Taxes on top, but at least I can drive myself.

Much thanks

I rented a car as well since I'll be staying for 3 days and it was only $20/day. Luckily my girlfriend has a friend in Colorado Springs so we're not having to pay for a hotel and we can go out and do some winter things while we're there. I'm pretty excited about that considering it's been like 60 or 70 degrees this past week here in Austin!

I would say that if you are just staying one night for the interview and staying in a hotel, call the hotel directly and just ask for info about a shuttle. I think calling places directly is one of the best ways to get good info instead of second hand information found online. Good Luck!

Did anyone have the oral proficiency phone interview?