University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone have the oral proficiency phone interview?

I did before my interview way back in early October. It's not too big of a deal, they say they just do it for everyone who's classified as a non-native English speaker. You talk to someone for about 30 minutes on the phone about pretty much anything. Just make sure you're making sense and you know what you're talking about because you can somewhat direct where the conversation is going to go and you don't want to say some answer and not be able to elaborate on it lol

Think of it as a good thing (imo). They wouldn't give you a phone interview if they weren't interested in your application right? :)

Hey, MWM , when did you hear back from them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all those who went through the interview process on 1/14/2011. I met some excellent candidates and wish all of you the best of luck for the rest the admissions process.

Congrats to all those who went through the interview process on 1/14/2011. I met some excellent candidates and wish all of you the best of luck for the rest the admissions process.

Thanks! Does this mean all of us from 1/14 will get accepted? :)
Also, what is your name? I'm curious to know whether or not I met you!

I was that Asian P2 with glasses sitting around the table talking to people.

Did anyone have the oral proficiency phone interview?
I got the phone interview beginning of Dec, and still waiting to see if I would get the in-person interview. It seems like my chances are slim, since it's been so long. I emailed them and they said they would not have the result for the phone interview until the director comes back to the office after winter break and that was yesterday. I would love to have a chance with CO COP, since two of my pharmacists went there and talked highly about it.

Just went to the interview two days ago on the 21st. For those lurking around, it was great meeting and talking with you guys! For those going in later, I would say there are two important things you have to be aware of:

1. Really know your major healthcare issues, especially the complexities and challenges both present and future.

2. The people interviewing you have no idea regarding your background or application stats. That is done on purpose, both good and bad. :)

Make sure you have your own writing utensils for the essay and group exercise. I was berated for not bringing my own. Apparently I didn't get the e-mail where this was stated, believe me I went back and checked. It was my fault for assuming, but every other interview I have been to they gave us boatloads of their school's pen.

I felt like this showed poorly on my part, and hopefully someone learns from my mistake. Also, maybe bring an extra because you know someone else will forget/lose theirs and you can be the one to so kindly offer your pen:)

Sorry to pee on your parade but I have heard nothing good about this school from current students. I hear that faculty members at CU SOP are pretty lame and they seem like med school rejects who are trying to pretend that they are physicians. LOL You are required to buy a stethoscope. LOL Have you met a pharmacist who needs one? :) I hear that you spend several hours hanging out in the OTC isle at grocery stores. I'm sorry but I have not heard anything good at all about this program. I know a few students who graduated within the last two years and most of them are working only part-time. Those who are working full time are only making about 4-5k a month. If you are going to pharmacy school with the idea that you are going to be making tons of money, think again. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you have your own writing utensils for the essay and group exercise. I was berated for not bringing my own. Apparently I didn't get the e-mail where this was stated, believe me I went back and checked. It was my fault for assuming, but every other interview I have been to they gave us boatloads of their school's pen.

I felt like this showed poorly on my part, and hopefully someone learns from my mistake. Also, maybe bring an extra because you know someone else will forget/lose theirs and you can be the one to so kindly offer your pen:)

That's strange... Plenty of people forgot pens during my writing session and the lady walked around handing some out without a problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it at all 'cause you're definitely not the only one :) (& I doubt they'd penalize you for not carrying around a pen)

& DrOoze, I'm sorry that you've had such a poor experience with the school... or wait, you just heard these things? But anyways, you're right, most pharmacists don't use stethoscopes. However, there are some who will need to in the future and I would rather have the school teach me just in case I go into a field other than retail. Also, most pharmacies SELL stethoscopes. If someone wanted advice on which to buy, I would hope the pharmacist would be able to give that person some solid advice based on experience.

That's strange... Plenty of people forgot pens during my writing session and the lady walked around handing some out without a problem. I wouldn't worry too much about it at all 'cause you're definitely not the only one :) (& I doubt they'd penalize you for not carrying around a pen)

& DrOoze, I'm sorry that you've had such a poor experience with the school... or wait, you just heard these things? But anyways, you're right, most pharmacists don't use stethoscopes. However, there are some who will need to in the future and I would rather have the school teach me just in case I go into a field other than retail. Also, most pharmacies SELL stethoscopes. If someone wanted advice on which to buy, I would hope the pharmacist would be able to give that person some solid advice based on experience.

I'm fairly confident that whoever that is was themself a "medschool reject" who applied to ucdenver pharmacy and got rejected.... Who also knows nothing about healthcare professionals.

I'm fairly confident that whoever that is was themself a "medschool reject" who applied to ucdenver pharmacy and got rejected.... Who also knows nothing about healthcare professionals.

Not you reg the other poster ;)

Not you reg the other poster ;)

Haha, I knew what you meant :laugh:
& hey, you can't blame her for knowing so little... she's still working hard on her little pre-med ladder. :rolleyes:

Haha, I knew what you meant :laugh:
& hey, you can't blame her for knowing so little... she's still working hard on her little pre-med ladder. :rolleyes:

Sorry to deflate you guys. That wasn't my intention. Oh, a pre-pharm has no place to degrade a pre-med. LOL Just sayin.

LOL Such low self esteem you guys. I would love to have a current student at CU SOP to refute what I stated. You guys are pre-pharms. What do you really know?LOL Oh, I have a graduate degree from CU Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences. So, I do have more of an insight into the program than you guys. I also TA'd the 1st year pharmacy students. The program is not what it claims to be. I was just trying to give you an insight so that you will dig a little to see if the program is right for you. And you are most welcome.

I just received an invitation for an interview! Is anyone else going for an interview soon?

Can't we all just be friends? :laugh: pre-med and pre-pharm have almost identical pre-reqs...and also it's health care teams that treat patients, each member reliant on each other, so let's try to show a little respect both ways, we will all work together some day!

I was accepted Dec. 23rd and I interviewed 11/29, for those who are curious, and I have heard nothing but great things about this program from current students and graduates alike.

Good luck to all who are interviewing soon!

Sorry to deflate you guys. That wasn't my intention. Oh, a pre-pharm has no place to degrade a pre-med. LOL Just sayin.

Wasn't degrading, just trying to come up with some reason for your uhm, ignorance? I was actually trying to be nice, give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe you just didn't know what you were talking about in the first place :)

LOL Such low self esteem you guys. I would love to have a current student at CU SOP to refute what I stated. You guys are pre-pharms. What do you really know?LOL Oh, I have a graduate degree from CU Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences. So, I do have more of an insight into the program than you guys. I also TA'd the 1st year pharmacy students. The program is not what it claims to be. I was just trying to give you an insight so that you will dig a little to see if the program is right for you. And you are most welcome.

If that was your purpose, it would have been excellent to see an elaborate post with some detail as to WHY the program is so horrible. I'm sorry but it's hard to take someone seriously when there is no backup to anything except "that's what I've heard!". What exactly did you see? Were professors intentionally unavailable for students? Are all the rotation sites fake? Are they in fact not associated with the health complex at all? It just makes me wonder, where the hell did I interview at because if it's some fake hoax, then by all means, they really went out of their way. Everywhere I have looked, I have seen nothing so completely horrible that makes this program so unworthy. I have a friend who is a p1 there right now and absolutely LOVES it. I've also spoken to graduates who now work in CA and they have all encouraged me to apply because they believe that their experiences there helped them learn tons.

& really, I'm fairly certain that most students understand that each school has negatives. There's really no need to barge in screaming about how ****ty a school is without backing it up properly.

1. WHY the program is so horrible? It's not horrible, just more geared to retail than they lead you to believe. If you are geared towards a career in hospital pharmacy or research than look else where. 2. What exactly did you see? Met a lot of disgruntled students. 3. Were professors intentionally unavailable for students? Professors are available but most of the pharmd professors are horrible teachers. 4. Are all the rotation sites fake? Rotations are primarily (99%) retail. Experiential during your first 3 years is primarily retail as well. So, if that is your preference, then CU SOP is great for you. 5. Are they in fact not associated with the health complex at all? There is a 99% chance that you can graduate from this program and not set foot in the hospital area.

1. WHY the program is so horrible? It's not horrible, just more geared to retail than they lead you to believe. If you are geared towards a career in hospital pharmacy or research than look else where. 2. What exactly did you see? Met a lot of disgruntled students. 3. Were professors intentionally unavailable for students? Professors are available but most of the pharmd professors are horrible teachers. 4. Are all the rotation sites fake? Rotations are primarily (99%) retail. Experiential during your first 3 years is primarily retail as well. So, if that is your preference, then CU SOP is great for you. 5. Are they in fact not associated with the health complex at all? There is a 99% chance that you can graduate from this program and not set foot in the hospital area.

Pretty interesting perspective, thanks for having actual reasons other than "the school sucks" type of answer. I guess the students hid their unhappiness from us or something, I didn't really get that vibe. I only actually met with two of the professors there, but both seemed knowledgeable and helpful also. Maybe I just met the two that weren't so horrible. Then again, I haven't experienced them in a classroom setting, so can't judge there I suppose. -shrugs- I also think that most IPPEs are generally retail/community, but I can see how some may consider that a huge downside. Overall though, I still don't see how any of those are any major deal breakers... all schools have some crappy professors and all have really great ones, & I still don't see a reason as to why you made it your job to make such a big deal about it. :rolleyes: But thanks drooze, thanks.

But thanks drooze, thanks.

You are most welcome.;) Wait until you start school and have your skills sessions. I set in a few of those. It's hilarious! Students have to spend several hours to prepare for these skills sessions every week and I didn't find anyone coming out of it and saying, wow! that was good stuff. It was always like, wow! that was a waste of my time. They have a few interesting skills instructors. I just wanted to give you guys a different perspective and also would like to encourage those of you who are going to interview there to keep an eye on these aspects.

Meh, i have my interview there on Monday, and I'm not to keen on it, that has nothing to do with the school tho- i just dont like Denver.

Question (and this will sound foolish): what is a skills lab? what kind of skills are they teaching.

Additionally, I just read an article that CU Denver is under an ethics review b/c they are receiving $$ from pharmaceutical companies. You can look up the article yourself, i found it on SDN.

Meh, i have my interview there on Monday, and I'm not to keen on it, that has nothing to do with the school tho- i just dont like Denver.

Question (and this will sound foolish): what is a skills lab? what kind of skills are they teaching.

Additionally, I just read an article that CU Denver is under an ethics review b/c they are receiving $$ from pharmaceutical companies. You can look up the article yourself, i found it on SDN.

You will have skills sessions every week. I think they have reduced the sessions to a two our period. It used to be a 4 hour session. :)They basically give you assignments pertaining to a disease state and you will have to look up respective medications used to treat those conditions. During the sessions you will discuss your findings in groups and they will have additional case studies that you will do in groups using the information that you gathered while doing your assignment. Plus you have to wear your lab coat at all times or you will get an infraction. :) Now think summer time. CU Denver itself is not under investigation, its the medical school and any affiliated physicians who are accepting money from big pharma for endorsing their products.

I scheduled my interview for Feb. 7th. Anyone else interviewing that day?

Professional skills is a 2 and 1/2 year course that focuses on developing student's abilities to interact with patients. The first year is focused on didactic material involving OTC products as well as providing framework for patient provider interactions. In addition you learn about clinical evaluation of cases, basic physical assessments and point of care service tests. Alot of what you do in skills is integrated from the course material of the Integrated Organ Science class you are currently taking. Yes, attendance is mandatory and so is professional attire for this course.

Some of what Drooze has said is true. But, that does not mean I believe CU's program is terrible and in fact have been very happy with my experiences so far. I think it would be appreciated from everyone if he was "stating the facts" in order for everyone to make an informed decision but based on the majority of his posts, it appears as if some "premed" student has taken the time to troll on the forums. Anyways please feel free to post more questions or msg some my way if you would like.

I also interview this Friday (1/28)! See you there!

I interviewed on 1/24 and I loved it! Make sure you know what their curriculum is, they could potentially ask about it. I gotta say, if I get accepted there, I will be very pleased. Was anyone else there on 1/24? Also, I am giving a shout out to the students who dedicated their time to give us interviewees (sp?) the rundown. It was also a great feeling to get approached by random students from that school and tell me "good luck!"

As for the "omg this school sucks" people :confused:, personally speaking, I would love to go to this school. :love:

Good luck all you other 400.

Thanks. I guess I will look over the curriculum tonight. See you tomorrow.

Hey everyone. I'm a current P2 student and just want to advise you not to listen to what other people say, especially if they're not in the program. CU was my first choice and I am extremely happy with my decision. This program may not be for everyone, but that is what the whole application process is about. Not only do schools choose students, but you need to choose the best school for you as well. Whenever you go to interviews, just keep an open mind and ask all the questions you want.

Hey everyone. I'm a current P2 student and just want to advise you not to listen to what other people say, especially if they're not in the program. CU was my first choice and I am extremely happy with my decision. This program may not be for everyone, but that is what the whole application process is about. Not only do schools choose students, but you need to choose the best school for you as well. Whenever you go to interviews, just keep an open mind and ask all the questions you want.

Well put! :)

Interview today went great.

Way to go! I think we are applying to a lot of the same schools, I see you popping up in a lot of the same threads lol. I have mixed feelings about the interview, about how I did anyways. I really liked the school and like the fact that they push inter-professional learning and promote working as health teams.

I agree with you HilaryG, it's definitely a step in the right direction to allow for interdisciplinary perception. It's pretty cool that those teams have actual, and I use this term loosely, "control" over the treatment of a patient. A huge aspect to being a successful pharmacist is working with physicians and fellow care providers to attain the same goal.

Way to go! I think we are applying to a lot of the same schools, I see you popping up in a lot of the same threads lol. I have mixed feelings about the interview, about how I did anyways. I really liked the school and like the fact that they push inter-professional learning and promote working as health teams.

Hey, so were you at the interview on friday too? I think things went well, but I guess we'll see.

Was anyone else on here at the 1/24 interview?

Good luck bkay!

I got a phone interview today but I was wondering how much longer it would take before I get an interview (if they decide to invite me that is).

A few days? a week?

For me, it took them 3 days after the phone interview to send an on-campus interview invitation... but I'm sure it varies. Good luck!

Has anyone from 1/14 heard back yet?

For me, it took them 3 days after the phone interview to send an on-campus interview invitation... but I'm sure it varies. Good luck!

Has anyone from 1/14 heard back yet?

I haven't heard anything from my 1/14 interview.

Not only do schools choose students, but you need to choose the best school for you as well. Whenever you go to interviews, just keep an open mind and ask all the questions you want.

Great advice to keep in mind as the interview season continues. When you decide on a program it should be a good fit for both sides.

taxis:

303 777-7777 (charges per distance)
303 333-3333 (charges per time)
303 444-4444 (its purple)

If you're coming from the airport, I would recommend a shuttle or the RTD (bus system). the Denver airport is not near the city. if you're coming from a hotel, get a cab.

taxis:

303 777-7777 (charges per distance)
303 333-3333 (charges per time)
303 444-4444 (its purple)

If you're coming from the airport, I would recommend a shuttle or the RTD (bus system). the Denver airport is not near the city. if you're coming from a hotel, get a cab.

There is always Super Shuttle too.

OK so I've read several posts on here that say to review the curriculum. what kind of questions about that were asked in the interviews? Also, how many people actually interview you? I've been to an interview at Belmont University, and it was only 1 faculty member, and it was more of a conversation instead of an interrogation. what type of heath care questions were asked as well? Any help would be much appreciated!