University of Detroit Mercy vs. University of Michigan, PLEASE HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudyBuddy1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that this post has been put before, but i would like more input and more thoughts about which you would choose and why.

I know UDM offers more clinical experience and UofM offers the research and name....right now im leaning towards uofm bc it is nationally and internationally known for its credentials, has a great reputation, and i dont really think a dental school will not give you enough clinical experience. that is the one thing i constantly hear, but how could uofm be ranked so high and not provide a good solid dental education/exp?
This is why i am thinking about UDM, im worried i wont be as experienced as i could be, and i want to make sure i perform to the best of my capabilities as a dentist as i could, its very important to me that i am very experienced for the sake of my patients.

Specialization is another thought. Right now i do want to specialize, but dont know my thoughts on that later (my rank in class, my boards...). Many state that only boards and GPA play a factor in that, which is true, I DONT KNOW IM SO CONFUSED!!!!!!!

UDM is right by my house, so the cost of UofM and UDM will cost the same, but i will be able to stay at home if i pick UDM, which is a plus for me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :) :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::oops::)

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, I think you should go to Michigan, I think you will have a better chance to specialize if you go there. Though Detroit Mercy is a great school as well, and certainly has better facilities and you might get better clinical skills there (especially great for people who want to be GPs). It's win/win whichever you choose, but I think that for you Michigan is the better choice.

In my opinion, I think you should go to Michigan, I think you will have a better chance to specialize if you go there. Though Detroit Mercy is a great school as well, and certainly has better facilities and you might get better clinical skills there (especially great for people who want to be GPs). It's win/win whichever you choose, but I think that for you Michigan is the better choice.

Thanks Somthinpositiv!!! :) . So you think the clinical experience will be great at u of m too right?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd get a better clinical training at Detroit Mercy. U of M has better didactics (top professors, and I love their IMS class is set up). However, U of M is known for it's Ortho program, and seems to place people into specialties reasonably well. Plus the Michigan name doesn't hurt.

I would prefer Michigan because of the name and because ann arbor is a better town to be in than detroit

If you are still undecided on which to choose then I suggest you either calculate actual cost of attendance down to estimated cents and choose the cheaper or flip a coin.

If you are trolling for UDM or UM trash talk - good luck.
Alternatively, start a new thread to ask the same question again until you hear the answer you want.

As much as I hate to say it, Michigan.

Research, comprehensive education, and well, it's the University of Michigan, which has been open for over 130 years...

As much as I hate to say it, Michigan.

Research, comprehensive education, and well, it's the University of Michigan, which has been open for over 130 years...

Why do you hate to say it?

Check out the thread below. I am in the same boat, but I am leaning toward UDM because of the clinical experience, I can live at home, and in UDM's faculty has a great reputation for their dedication to student success. I plan to be a GP for the variety and challenge (many procedures are now being done in the GP office that used to be done in specialty offices), so UDM seems to work for me. Either school will be great, it's just a matter of your personal fit. Good luck.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=583337

i understand that this post has been put before, but i would like more input and more thoughts about which you would choose and why.

I know udm offers more clinical experience and uofm offers the research and name....right now im leaning towards uofm bc
you should!
it is nationally and internationally known for its credentials,

exactly!

has a great reputation, and i dont really think a dental school will not give you enough clinical experience. That is the one thing i constantly hear, but how could uofm be ranked so high and not provide a good solid dental education/exp? sometimes you have to compensate for the academic rigor, you could always do an extra year in residency.
Hey, don't worry about what's best now, worry about what's best in the future.
I had a dentist from u of m and we both went to honduras to do some oral surgery and teeth extraction, he told me back in his day u of m was number 1! We're talking about 30 years ago and still u of m had the same problem as now, people feel there is a lack clinical experience, but he told me that you eventually get use to it, he happened to work with another dentist for a few years and learned slowly until he was able to open his own practice. I think this is a smart idea.
this is why i am thinking about udm, im worried i wont be as experienced as i could be, and i want to make sure i perform to the best of my capabilities as a dentist as i could, its very important to me that i am very experienced for the sake of my patients.

Specialization is another thought. Right now i do want to specialize, but dont know my thoughts on that later (my rank in class, my boards...). Many state that only boards and gpa play a factor in that, which is true, i dont know im so confused!!!!!!!

Udm is right by my house, so the cost of uofm and udm will cost the same, but i will be able to stay at home if i pick udm, which is a plus for me.

in my opinion, try to become more independent, the real world is going to be tough, you mine as well practice before entering in battle.

any suggestions would be appreciated :) :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::oops::)
best of luck!

Why do you hate to say it?

It's a football riverly thing... but I do want to checkout their stadium once they start winning. But honestly, they are really strong school. UMich has a strong name along with their curriculum.

Thank you so much everyone! I was so nervous about this decision because both schools are great schools, I appreciate all the input and believe it helped me out in making my decision.

Reapply-of course I was not looking for trash talk on either school, both schools are really great which is why I think this is a very hard decision, I was looking for peoples ideas on strong points of the schools====I hope we are all at that professional level not to have to look for trash talk!

Other than that, Thanks again! MKD1960 Good luck on your decision, and let me know your final result.:)

I'm not going to tell u which school to chose but remember dont trust everything u read on this thread, because i can guarantee that at least one person that has posted on here has told u to go to michigan and from earlier posts they have stated that they have been rejected from u of m and are waiting on UDM. I know that this may not mean much, but u should take it into consideration. With that being said, there are good advice on this thread but do your own research and don't pick a school based on name.​

Last edited:
i can guarantee that at least one person that has posted on here has told u to go to michigan and from earlier posts they have stated that they have been rejected from u of m and are waiting on UDM.

Name that person. Hmmm? Well?

You really expect the worse in everyone don't you? :rolleyes:

If depends if you want a fair to good education (UM) or the best education (UDM)

This should not even be and option. If you get into Michigan you go to Michigan! If your debating that then clearly you don't understand the Michigan difference. People choose Michigan over Columbia and Harvard never thinking twice. Yes, I do go to Michigan. GO BLUE!

This should not even be and option. If you get into Michigan you go to Michigan! If your debating that then clearly you don't understand the Michigan difference. People choose Michigan over Columbia and Harvard never thinking twice. Yes, I do go to Michigan. GO BLUE!
I'm not sure about the "never thinking twice". UDM's clinical experience will be awesome, which for somebody like me that wants to be a great GP is something to consider. Michigan may be the best choice for a person interested in research or specializing, but it is not for everybody. I've lived in Michigan (40 minutes from AA, 25 from Detroit) my whole life, so I'm not concerned w/social life or things to do in the area. (Does a dental student have a social life?!) Anyway I'll be making my decision between UDM & UofM by the weekend. It still isn't easy. :oops:

I know dentists and oral surgeons who have gone to UofM and UDM. They're all fine and successful now. I trust that you will be as well, regardless of your ultimate decision.

Two things to note:

1. A common theme heard from these dental professionals (again, from both UofM and UDM) is that the UofM students had a bit of a tough time getting patients in their 3rd and 4th years. Ann Arbor is a nice place with many wealthy individuals; it is unlikely that they will go to a dental school clinic for their care. Additionally, Ann Arbor is an attractive place for many students to set up shop as practicing dentists after graduating. The high retention rate results in a high population of local dentists, which only makes it more difficult for dental students to find patients.

2. The UofM alumni speak with great pride of their school. Even with the patient flow problems, they were very happy, perhaps even more so than the students in Detroit.

Disclaimer: I have not interviewed with either of these schools, nor will I be attending either of them. I have absolutely nothing to lose nor gain by these comments. And my experiences are bound to be different than those of others; I'm just relaying what I've heard for the sake of the OP, StudyBuddy.