University of Hawaii at Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accepted too!! found out today!!!

: )

this acceptance came so early...i haven't heard from the other schools i applied to!

My interview was on Dec 9th at 10:30 at Las Vegas Embassy Suites.

I just wanted to note that my mother and I met two other women (indian?), one who was the mother of a prepharm student from uc irvine and the other was a relative? Your daughter's interview was at 930? I had a beginning cough and they gave me their cough drops and mints before my interview, thank you! I hope your daughter received an acceptance as well--i know you said that you check sdn often so maybe you will see my post?

goodluck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

i got accepted today too!!!

wishing the best for everyone else still waiting...

:):):)

Woooooooooo... accepted!!!!!

I can breath a little easier now.:)

Interviewed the 8th in Vegas.

Congrats and good luck to everybody else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Phew... Interviewed on Dec 10 (Anaheim) and got accepted today too. Good luck everyone

Congratulations to all of you that have been accepted so far!

Apparently the day people got accepted, we finish our finals.

I got my acceptance tonight as well! Congrats, everyone!:love:

Woot! I got accepted too. I was in celebratory mode for about a day and then began planning the nitty gritty details of rooming, motility, and how I'm going to pay for everything.

Its going to be expensiveeeee... I'm comparing Hilo COP to Shenandoah at the moment. The thing keeping me away from Hilo is cost (~30K difference in just tuition over 4 years) and the thing keeping me away from Shenandoah is weather. I cannot function that well in cold gloomy weather and I'm not sure if I can adapt to that and perform academically at my maximum (SoCal born and raised). I guess you can call it a case of Winter Blues or mild seasonal affective disorder. The thought of going to school in Hilo is just so awesome.

How exactly do you guys plan on paying to go here? Is there a finacial aid site you guys are using to assist you in planning out financial moves?

Any current students at Hilo out there that want to chime in? It would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I have the same problem as u--I don't think I thrive very well in cold weather. I was in Chicago to interview at MWU CCP, i was so miserable in the snow. and even if I'm lucky enough to get in.... I'd be sooo hesitant to just bc it's too cold for me.. I'm from norcal. :)

Yes, I'd love more info on loans/finaid! Too bad the interview didn't offer that.

Woot! I got accepted too. I was in celebratory mode for about a day and then began planning the nitty gritty details of rooming, motility, and how I'm going to pay for everything.

Its going to be expensiveeeee... I'm comparing Hilo COP to Shenandoah at the moment. The thing keeping me away from Hilo is cost (~30K difference in just tuition over 4 years) and the thing keeping me away from Shenandoah is weather. I cannot function that well in cold gloomy weather and I'm not sure if I can adapt to that and perform academically at my maximum (SoCal born and raised). I guess you can call it a case of Winter Blues or mild seasonal affective disorder. The thought of going to school in Hilo is just so awesome.

How exactly do you guys plan on paying to go here? Is there a finacial aid site you guys are using to assist you in planning out financial moves?

Any current students at Hilo out there that want to chime in? It would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
yay congrats to everyone who got in! i got the acceptance email on friday too! :D

Last edited:
Is there a thread for UH Hilo COP Class of 2015 students yet?

is anybody still waiting to hear if they are accepted or not? Seems like everyone has posted of their acceptance, and I also received mine exactly a week after my interview.

--i think the trend is applying early definitely helps get you in the game when there is still a lot of seats open?

Last edited:
I was accepted to UH Hilo COP c/o 2015, too :). I have accepted and will be mailing my matriculation agreement shortly. I too applied quite early. My PharmCAS and supplemental were submitted early to mid October.

PS...I have noticed a few posts asking about a c/o 2015 thread and I agree! I tried to find it, but I don't think one has been started yet. I tried to figure it out but I don't know how to start one (if I am even able to do so?). Unfortunately, I have very minimal experience on this website. Could someone with more experience/knowledge please start a class thread?

Last edited:
I hope it's okay that I made the thread again, haha.
Congrats everyone! :) I still have to send in all my forms, but I'm working on it. So excited!

I was thinking jillybeeean should create another thread and u did. Haha. Thank you!! Congrats c/o 2015 :)

Congrats to those who got admitted. UH-Hilo is on winter break so they were not able to send me their supplemental application to me. I am pretty late in the admissions process- all of you guys with these notifications of admission is making me depressed:(

lol, i guess we can't make a separate thread for people who were accepted and who do intend to go there? all good, i just made one cuz people wanted one :)

Congrats to those who got accepted. I have my interview on 25 Feb in Vegas. I would like to get your general comments and tips( not already posted on this thread) on the interview process especially on the writing process( format, paragraphs, time, etc.... My writing is very poor. I want to improve my writing before the interview. Thank you all in advance.

If you guys have any questions, you can either pm me or ask them on this thread...I'm a current P1 student....school started for me yesterday...so I'm not dead yet.

Congrats to those who got accepted. I have my interview on 25 Feb in Vegas. I would like to get your general comments and tips( not already posted on this thread) on the interview process especially on the writing process( format, paragraphs, time, etc.... My writing is very poor. I want to improve my writing before the interview. Thank you all in advance.

Congrats on the interview invite! :) I'm not sure if I can help you any more than the interview feedback section; honestly, if you are prepared to sincerely answer the questions that are listed on there, you will do okay. My interview was relaxed; some of it was more of just a conversation with my interviewer which was nice. The essay question is something not pharmacy-related. I'm guessing it's just so that they can see that you are able to organize your ideas in a structured essay. Oh and the space where you can write is only about 3/4 of a page. It's really not that bad. Good luck! :)

If you guys have any questions, you can either pm me or ask them on this thread...I'm a current P1 student....school started for me yesterday...so I'm not dead yet.

Hey Shimmery,
First off, thanks for helping us future P1 students out. I'll be attending Hawaii at Hilo next year for sure and I have a few questions.

1.) What was your typical schedule like Monday-Friday?

2.) What do the Hawaii-Hilo pharmacy students like to do in their free time and on the weekends?

Thanks again for helping us out!! :)

Oh scheduling.....so fun......let's see if I still remember...

Now...what I'm going to tell you CAN CHANGE since it's a growing COP, so hopefully should be the same...or slightly different.

Monday:

Calculations - 1:00-1:50 pm
Calculations - 2:00-2:50 pm
OTC and Culture - 3:00-3:50 pm(The syllabus might say 3:15-3:50, but it's not true)

Tuesday:

Pharmaceutics I - 1:00-1:50 pm
Introduction to the Pharmaceutical Sciences - 2:00-2:50 pm
Introduction to the Pharmaceutical Sciences - 3:00-3:50 pm

Wednesday:

Biochemistry - 1:00-1:50 pm
Biochemistry - 2:00-2:50 pm
Immunology - 3:00-3:50 pm

Thursday:

Introduction to the Pharmaceutical Sciences - 1:00-1:50 pm
Immunology - 2:00-2:50 pm
OTC and Culture - 3:00 - 3:50 pm

Friday:

Pharmaceutics I- 1:00-1:50 pm
Biochemistry - 2:00-2:50 pm
Immunology - 3:00-3:50 pm

Something to note.....while this is the schedule I had......In "Introduction to Pharmaceutical Sciences", there will be times where the lecture will go further so that it will go from 4:00-4:50, but it will be pointed out on the syllabus and I think you guys will only do it 3 times over the semester...

As for what to do over the weekends....well, I like to play basketball, so many of us go to a park and play there....some extended weekends...like this one coming up, our activity coordinators (who you will choose during elections) set up an event for us where we're going to Kona and go from there....other weekends I'll be studying.....so much fun....reason is because EVERY WEEK you will have one exam.....maybe 2 in one week as well, because that does happen as well.

Hey Shimmery,

Do most of you guys work part-time or anything? Are there interning jobs available? Also, how is one's APPE set up during 4th year? Do most people do their APPE rotations in Hawaii? What are your thoughts overall on the school thus far? Any tips for incoming P1s?

Thanks

Hey Shimmery,

Do most of you guys work part-time or anything? Are there interning jobs available? Also, how is one's APPE set up during 4th year? Do most people do their APPE rotations in Hawaii? What are your thoughts overall on the school thus far? Any tips for incoming P1s?

Thanks

I don't work part time....I don't work at all while at school. I do know people that only work on the weekends, as they already were situated in Hilo. As for interning jobs....I would have no idea since I'm not working, but I do know a few students that do have intern jobs....but for future prospective, I don't think there will be many since Hilo is very small.

Also, how is one's APPE set up during 4th year?

Umm....I'm a P1....I would have no idea lol...

But I do have the student handbook the school gave us...who knew it would be useful for something.

Fourth Professional Year (P4)

Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPE)
Students must successfully complete 36 credit hours of practical experience during the academic program. Students are required to complete four required advanced patient care experiences and two elective experiences. {....} Students can also select an elective rotation that may or may not involve direct patient contact, depending on the site of practice. All rotations place an emphasis on problem solving skills, critical thinking, and communications in the delivery of pharmaceutical care.

Basically....from what I know, you have 8 blocks....out of those 8 blocks, you need have 6 of them to graduate.

You set up your OWN rotations, meaning you get to choose where you want to go, you're not restricted to stay in Hawaii.

Do most people do their APPE rotations in Hawaii?

The majority of them, since they are from Hawaii, but I do know a few people that don't have rotations in Hawaii in the first place.

What are your thoughts overall on the school thus far?

I really like it, the faculty really care about us and want us to do our best in the courses that we're taking. I didn't graduate with a major, I just took prerequisites and got in that way (with working in a pharmacy as well). Though it was a big transition for me, I did pretty well in the first semester (made the dean's list :)).

Any tips for incoming P1s?

Be a little bit more specific on what kind of "tips" you're looking for.

Finally!!! got an interview. sorry if this has been asked too many times but does anybody know where the sdn site is for the interview questions for UH Hilo?

Interview 2/26 Las Vegas
Anyone??? :)

I am wondering if it is harder to get accepted if my interview is so late because they don't have many spots open :eek:

Interview 2/26 Las Vegas
Anyone??? :)

I am wondering if it is harder to get accepted if my interview is so late because they don't have many spots open :eek:

I had my interview on the 19th.....so...I think you should be fine...

does anyone know how much does the tuition fee cost for out of state students?

Though it was a big transition for me, I did pretty well in the first semester (made the dean's list :)).

Any tips for incoming P1s?

Be a little bit more specific on what kind of "tips" you're looking for.

Hey Shimmery, congrats on making the dean's list!

Nevermind on the tips; I got a lot of info from reading the thread from last year.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=660615

I guess the only thing I am worried about is the cost of living and tuition. Been looking at Tohbi Hale and houses off campus via craigslist.

Also, good luck to those with interviews coming up. Just try and relax as the interview process is pretty casual. I don't think its too late. From reading last years thread they were pulling people off the alternate list even in July.

I would really appreciate it if all the students who already have had their interview to this day, can take some time to do the interview feedback survey. The last entry is from March 2010. It will really help the future interviewees.

Has anyone accepted an interview offer for hilo in feb yet?

I would really appreciate it if all the students who already have had their interview to this day, can take some time to do the interview feedback survey. The last entry is from March 2010. It will really help the future interviewees.

I just submitted my interview feedback. Best of luck to everyone who is interviewing in the future!! :)

Just relax, be yourself, and SMILE. Interview was very, very casual. :D

I recently submitted all my materials to UHH CoP and was wondering if these stats would be good enough to get an interview this late in the application process? Could some of you who recently got interviews let me know what your stats were?

Bachelors of Science in Biology
PharmCAS Cumulative GPA: 3.33
PCAT Composite: 65
3.5 years pharmacy experience as a pharmacy technician

I recently submitted all my materials to UHH CoP and was wondering if these stats would be good enough to get an interview this late in the application process? Could some of you who recently got interviews let me know what your stats were?

Bachelors of Science in Biology
PharmCAS Cumulative GPA: 3.33
PCAT Composite: 65
3.5 years pharmacy experience as a pharmacy technician

Your stats are interview-worthy, but I don't want to get your hopes up. I don't know how many spots are left in the class since they only accept 90 per year (approximately 45 for in-state and 45 for out-of-state), and many have been accepted as displayed from previous posts. Anyways, best of luck to you! :)

Hey Guys! I was accepted as well. Congrats to those who have and good luck to those in the process!

Shimmery, I had a question about your schedules as well. When does your IPPE rotations take place? And labs? I looked on the course listings and they didn't have a time slot for the rotations and labs.

Oh and if you guys didn't know, there's that facebook group that the Admissions Director made, there's a link to it on the matriculated students website. She posts ads about housing and whatnot, and you can contact others who have been accepted. :)

Rotations and lab would take place in the morning, before your courses at 1:00.

There are different times for rotations, but the majority of them start at 8:30 am.

Ohh ok thanks. So do you guys have something every morning? Or just certain days?

hi guys, if there's anyone who is interviewing on the 24th in hilo, i'd be interested in splitting the cost of a rental car. i'm finalizing my flights and am looking at a car also.