University of Hawaii-JABSOM early decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noelo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Native Hawaiian Female
GPA 3.65
MCAT VR9, BS9, PS8
Major: Bio & Hawaiian Language
Lots of research, work experience & comm. service
No shadowing experience yet
Looking to apply to JABSOM for the 2014-2015 academic year

Currently thinking about applying early decision to JABSOM. Only going to apply for Hawaii medical school.

Has anyone applied early decision to JABSOM before? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Non Hawaiian but grew up in Hawaii

3.9 sGPA from top school
33 MCAT 11,11,11
Research, volunteering, shadowing.

Applied 2012 cycle to Hawaii (reg admissions) and was waitlisted/rejected.

Your stats will hold you back, but really who knows. It's such a small school that if someone really likes you in the admissions committee, you've got a good chance to get in. Looks like it will depend on how strong your ECs are. You've got another year, I would retake the MCAT if you think you can get higher...as of now that's your huge weakness.

Native Hawaiian Female
GPA 3.65
MCAT VR9, BS9, PS8

Currently thinking about applying early decision to JABSOM. Only going to apply for Hawaii medical school.

Why?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't speak for any Hawaiin schools, but only applying there is a bad idea. Your dream may be to study medicine in Hawaii, but you need to think about what's more important to you: living in Hawaii or becoming a doctor? Because only applying to one school is setting yourself up for disappointment; the average applicant applies to 14, and even then, many don't get a single acceptance.

If you're serious about medicine, apply to other schools.

I am only applying to JABSOM because of family and community involvement. I will only attend medical school in Hawaii due to tuition and, once again, family. I was thinking to go early decision because for me it's all or nothing at JABSOM.

Community service wise I have volunteered at a clinic as well as a hospital for more than three years. I have also dealt a lot with the native Hawaiian community in various capacities.

I am only applying to JABSOM because of family and community involvement. I will only attend medical school in Hawaii due to tuition and, once again, family. I was thinking to go early decision because for me it's all or nothing at JABSOM.

Community service wise I have volunteered at a clinic as well as a hospital for more than three years. I have also dealt a lot with the native Hawaiian community in various capacities.

Go to ATSU and you can spend year 3 and 4 in Hawaii. You realize that you might still not get to do your residency in Hawaii right?

You have a terrible mcat score and an average gpa and urm isn't going to help you much at JABSOM.

Apply out or plan on not being a physician

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

just checked the MSAR, the bottom 10th percentile for the MCAT at Hawaii is 27. So only about 6 students enter with a MCAT score of 26 and below. It's a long shot.

Native Hawaiian Female
GPA 3.65
MCAT VR9, BS9, PS8

I would say retake the MCAT if you think you can score 30+. I'd imagine you'll be helped a lot by your heritage and second major. Definitely start shadowing right away.

If you are really only going to apply to JABSOM, then you should definitely apply early decision... applying regular decision makes it seem to them like you're applying other places and therefore waters down your commitment (in their eyes).

I'm going to be a re-applicant.

I was rejected this cycle with a 3.85/3.85, 36Q, 100+ hours of shadowing, 2 years of research, and a lot of fencing-related ECs. I don't have much medical volunteer work though, so I think that's what held me back.

I am considering applying ED as well because Dr. Asano seemed really surprised when I mentioned interviewing at other schools. She apparently doesn't expect applicants to apply to other schools, and may hold it against them if she finds out. ED is probably a good way of showing commitment to JABSOM, but I believe they only accept ~2 applicants each year and defer the rest to the regular application pool.

You have one really big thing going for you. You are Native Hawaiian. That is HUGE when applying to the University of Hawaii. You even majored in Hawaiian language for goodness sake. One of the major goals of the UH Medical School is to train physicians who will serve the native Hawaiian community. Instead of applying for early decision, it may be wiser to instead apply for the Imi Ho'ola post baccalaureate program. It is a year long program that essentially funnels its students into the medical school. I only suggest this route because of your below average GPA and board scores. I really think you have a good shot.

Native Hawaiian Female
GPA 3.65
MCAT VR9, BS9, PS8