University of Miami, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dakota said:
I interviewed in January as well (the 23rd), OOSer. I received an offer of admission on March 2nd (via e-mail) and was immediately assigned to the Miami campus. So, not quite sure how they are shuffeling people around, but for people who have not heard yet, I would asume there is still hope to land a Miami campus spot.

Best of luck to those still waiting.

Whaaat?? Hmm, that's interesting. I still haven't heard about being transferred to Miami. I wonder how they are deciding on this.

Members don't see this ad.

kenmc3 said:
All of the modules are slightly different with regards to their organization. Remember the CORE modules start in Aug and run through the beginning of January and then the organ system modules start.

This year anatomy was split up and only taught during the core module (chest, abdomen, and pelvis), the neuroscience module (head and neck + neuroanatomy) and the musculoskeletal (2nd year – extremities). However the anatomy department is trying to make some changes so that next year all anatomy will be taught together during the first semester. But nothing has been finalized. So when you are in the cardiovascular module or the heme/onc module you really aren’t learning any anatomy because you already know it – so all they do is review it.

The core modules usually consist of lectures from 9-12 and then lectures again from 1-3 or 4. With doctoring on Tuesday and Thursday afternoon. This is probably more time consuming and more lectures than you get during the organ system modules. Also tests are every other week whereas in the organ systems they are generally every 3 weeks.

Regarding the organ system modules, essentially they comprise the following classes:
Anatomy/Histology (usually review)
Physiology
Pathology
Pharmacology
Radiology
Small Group Discussions
Doctoring (which may or may not be related to what we are studying)

Usually you have lectures in the morning and the afternoons are usually free or for doctoring & small groups

Currently we are at the end of our neuroscience module. We have a test this Friday so we don’t have too many classes this week due to studying etc. But here is the schedule for Thursday and Friday of last week (fairly typical).

Thursday last week

9:00 AM - 10:00 AM Cell Death and Neuro-degeneration (Physiology)
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM Traumatic Brain Injury (Pathology)
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM CNS Tumors I (Pathology

LUNCH

1:00 PM - 3:00 PM DOCTORING Academic Societies Neuro Exam Practice

Friday Last Week

9:00 AM - 10:00 AM CNS and PNS Tumors (Pathology)
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM Physiology of Memory and Learning (Physiology)
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM Higher Cortical Functioning (Physiology)

LUNCH

1:00 PM - 2:00 PM Split-Brain (Neurology)
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM Aphasias (Neurology)

Thanks so much! And thanks to nflow too! This is exactly what I was wondering.

foodlover said:
Whaaat?? Hmm, that's interesting. I still haven't heard about being transferred to Miami. I wonder how they are deciding on this.
I haven't been transferred to the Miami campus either foodlover!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump. I hate seeing this thread at the bottom!

Any idea where most students live? Is it mostly in Brickell and South Beach? I hear both are pretty pricey.

Miami has jumped way up on my list following an offer of some money. It just wasn't in the cards with OOS tuition as it is, but now they've made it interesting . . .

QofQuimica said:
Yeah, it's been quiet in here lately. Are you still going to the second look, McMD? It was you who was going, right?
Yep. Still going. It's in 2 weeks, I think.

Dakota, I've heard Brickell and S.beach are popular places to live, however, they do seem pricey. Personally, I don't want to be paying back loans for the rest of my life so I'm going to try to find something less expensive, perhaps in Hollywood.

I'm getting excited about school...just 4 more months and a wedding and I'll be there!! :rolleyes:

haven't really decided yet whether to sell or rent.

1 bedroom 1 bath condo 5 minutes away from Jackson. Located in a gated community, with newly renovated bathroom and updated appliances. Nice sized patio for hanging out. Very quiet, some students that live here, ride a bike to school (saving $70/month in parking). Bonus: Newly renovated Gym, pool and hottub on premises.

PM me if interested.

Thanks,

Hey guys, I have some questions if anyone knows the answers:

1) What exactly is Miami's grading system? At the interview I recall them saying it was P/F but there was still some sort of class ranking?

2) Do the two campuses take the exact same exams?

3) Is the class rank, curve, whatever determined by the individual campuses or are both combined?

Also, anyone who is going to the Boca open house next week, please post a report! I couldn't afford to make it down there for it, but want to get all the info! Thanks.

foodlover said:
Hey guys, I have some questions if anyone knows the answers:

1) What exactly is Miami's grading system? At the interview I recall them saying it was P/F but there was still some sort of class ranking?

2) Do the two campuses take the exact same exams?

3) Is the class rank, curve, whatever determined by the individual campuses or are both combined?

Also, anyone who is going to the Boca open house next week, please post a report! I couldn't afford to make it down there for it, but want to get all the info! Thanks.
1) No, Miami is not P/F. They have grades, although it's reported kind of weirdly. Arsenic explained it to me once, but it's essentially a five-letter system with the actual number score reported as well. They do rank.

2) My understanding on this is yes. The curriculums are the same.

3) No idea, but I assume they would be. We should really ask Arsenic or deuist to be sure though.

QofQuimica said:
1) No, Miami is not P/F. They have grades, although it's reported kind of weirdly. Arsenic explained it to me once, but it's essentially a five-letter system with the actual number score reported as well. They do rank.

2) My understanding on this is yes. The curriculums are the same.

3) No idea, but I assume they would be. We should really ask Arsenic or deuist to be sure though.

Thanks Q - weird about the grading. Actually it kind of sucks about the grading. I could have sworn I heard the students say the words, pass/fail!!

Arsenic, Deuist - can you tell us for sure?

I'm sure my student tour guide told us what Q reported here, that grades are reported in some fasion as an actual percentage (but I'm blanking on whether this percentage is kept internal only/and for you to see, or is reported wherever you send transcripts).

Ask and you shall receive: For right now, the rankings are combined from the two campuses. We take the same exams during first and second year and then rotate together during third and fourth. However, FAU is expanding more and more every year. By the end of the decade, Boca is expected to be a four-year campus with its own curriculum and hospitals (Bethesda, JFK, Boca Community, etc). While it will still be a part of the University of Miami, it will have much more independence. The deans haven't told us what will happen to the rankings by then, but I can't see the school comparing students against each other.

For grades, UM is F/P with a number. For example, you could earn a P/88, meaning that you scored an 88% on the exam. The number will then be used for class rank, but will not be reported on your transcript. When you apply to residency, the programs will see a string of P's and your relative position in class (e.g., second quartile).

Members don't see this ad :)
unfrozencaveman said:
Crap! None of you guys are smart, right?
Damn...I should've gotten on the computer last night...I KNEW that answer!! haha. :rolleyes:

Is anyone else anxious to start school? Also, I'm thinking about going down at the end of April to look for a place to live...is this too early/late?...when are others going to look for an apartment?

QofQ, caveman, foodlover...I MIGHT be going to the Boca open house next weekend...I was going to go, but now I'm unsure...but if I go, I'll give you the scoop. :cool:

McMD said:
Damn...I should've gotten on the computer last night...I KNEW that answer!! haha. :rolleyes:

Is anyone else anxious to start school? Also, I'm thinking about going down at the end of April to look for a place to live...is this too early/late?...when are others going to look for an apartment?

QofQ, caveman, foodlover...I MIGHT be going to the Boca open house next weekend...I was going to go, but now I'm unsure...but if I go, I'll give you the scoop. :cool:
Thanks, McMD. :thumbup:

McMD said:

I might go too, for no reason at all, except I'm going to be right there, and I like stealing free lunches.

And I'm sure this will cease the instant we do start, but I seriously can't wait to get moving on this. I'm sick of these carefree weekends, and expendable salaries! Well, I'm off to brunch, to lounge over a new york times. Damn you, free time!

unfrozencaveman said:
I might go too, for no reason at all, except I'm going to be right there, and I like stealing free lunches.

And I'm sure this will cease the instant we do start, but I seriously can't wait to get moving on this. I'm sick of these carefree weekends, and expendable salaries! Well, I'm off to brunch, to lounge over a new york times. Damn you, free time!

There are always free lunches, particularly at the Miami campus. You shouldn't get your hopes up, though. I'm rarely impressed by the food they serve us. Occasionally Chartwells (the catering company) provides a good meal, but other times I've had to turn my nose up.

Never get sick of carefree weekends. You'll miss them once you start the fall semester.

unfrozencaveman said:

Agreed Caveman. Though I love my weekends of drinking and partying, followed by nasty hangovers, I'm looking forward to cracking the books.

McMD said:

I think April is plenty of time to find a place. I'm going to be out of the country (yay!) for most of the summer, so wherever I end up moving, I can't look for an apartment until the end of July! But even that I think will be fine - every apartment I've ever had has been for immediate move-in. Then again I live in nyc where apartment hunting is nuts.

McMD said:
Agreed Caveman. Though I love my weekends of drinking and partying, followed by nasty hangovers, I'm looking forward to cracking the books.

Wait, does this mean the weekends of drinking and partying followed by nasty hangovers are ending? 'Cause mine sure aren't...

Tigerstang said:
Wait, does this mean the weekends of drinking and partying followed by nasty hangovers are ending? 'Cause mine sure aren't...
Sigh, ok, and people wonder why Miami has a rep as a frathouse??? Arsenic, are you reading this??? He SWORE to me that Miami students actually DO study. :smuggrin:

oops, double post!

Hmm...I've never heard of Miami having a rep as a frathouse....

Foodlover and anyone else waiting on their status to transfer between campuses....I asked Dr. H and he said we'd hear something in April/May after people start dropping their acceptances. I figured as much, but wanted to ask to be sure.

QofQuimica said:
Sigh, ok, and people wonder why Miami has a rep as a frathouse??? Arsenic, are you reading this??? He SWORE to me that Miami students actually DO study. :smuggrin:

It does? Wow, that makes me so much happier that I'm going to Miami...

Hello everyone, I am almost definitely going to UM (at FAU) in the fall, so I figured I would join the party. I am going to the open house on Saturday...

and this might sound pretty stupid, but is everyone wearing their suits form their interviews or is this supposed to be less formal?

Well, I don't know about you guys, I'm just waiting to graduate here and move on.

UFtoMiami2010 said:
Hello everyone, I am almost definitely going to UM (at FAU) in the fall, so I figured I would join the party. I am going to the open house on Saturday...

and this might sound pretty stupid, but is everyone wearing their suits form their interviews or is this supposed to be less formal?

Well, I don't know about you guys, I'm just waiting to graduate here and move on.
Hey, will you post about it for the rest of us who can't make it? And I don't think a suit is necessary, but dress nicer than jeans and a t-shirt. ;)

UFtoMiami2010 said:

I am going to the open house this Saturday too! Even though I am attending the Miami campus, I am from Boca and I want to get to know some of my future classmates!! I wsa planning on wearing my interview suit just to be on the safe side....I asked the lady what the dress was and she said buisness casual. Any opinions??

Hmmm...I THINK I'm going on Saturday....I was planning on wearing nice slacks with a semi-casual shirt. It will be "business casual." I wasn't comfortable in my interview suit (especially the jacket) and I don't want to wear it if I don't have to.

By the way...Welcome UFtoMiami....GO CANES! :)

So, how many of you guys are 100% set on Miami? I'm getting to the point where I really want to make a final decision (although if I got off a certain couple of waitlists, that would complicate things...that's another story). But Miami is most certainly my favorite school among my acceptances. But as an OOS person, it is so scary to look at that $60k/year pricetag. $240k over four years. Ouch. I want to go with my gut/heart but making that leap is scary! I'm still hoping for one of those elusive scholarships I keep hearing about but as time passes, I'm losing hope.

Anyway, I guess I'm just rambling - but how do you guys feel about the whole saving money vs. happiness thing? I'm in at two of my state schools but really don't think I would be particularly happy at either, nor would have the same opportunities.

foodlover said:
So, how many of you guys are 100% set on Miami? I'm getting to the point where I really want to make a final decision (although if I got off a certain couple of waitlists, that would complicate things...that's another story). But Miami is most certainly my favorite school among my acceptances. But as an OOS person, it is so scary to look at that $60k/year pricetag. $240k over four years. Ouch. I want to go with my gut/heart but making that leap is scary! I'm still hoping for one of those elusive scholarships I keep hearing about but as time passes, I'm losing hope.

Anyway, I guess I'm just rambling - but how do you guys feel about the whole saving money vs. happiness thing? I'm in at two of my state schools but really don't think I would be particularly happy at either, nor would have the same opportunities.

By all means, save your money and go to your state school. The education is the same and you'll be alot happier in the end when you're not drowning in debt. Had my family been close to Gainesville I would have picked that state school without a second thought.

I'm 100% Miami...I'm in state, but the tuition still kills us since it's private. I would just suggest that you limit your living expenses and you'll be ok. You could even buy a place (condo) and make the money back when you sell it in 4 years to help with expenses...that way you're not wasting money. I am choosing happiness over money...Miami is a great school and the experience you'll get at JMH will be unparalleled, not to mention being able to go on international trips if you so desire (personally, this was a selling point for me).

My friend is in her first year of dental school at UF and absolutely hates it in Gainesville...she has strongly advised me to choose a place where I'll be happy and not worry about the money.

CANES2006 said:
By all means, save your money and go to your state school. The education is the same and you'll be alot happier in the end when you're not drowning in debt. Had my family been close to Gainesville I would have picked that state school without a second thought.
I agree with CANES. Med school will be no picnic anywhere. You can't really know how happy you'll be at a school after visiting it for one day for an interview. Also, it's easy for people in the trenches to say that they think they'd have been happier at School Y instead of School X once the going gets tough at School X. But I think most people will feel that way at any school just because of the difficulty of med school in general. Five years from now though, we'll be done with school, and it won't matter any more how hard it was. That debt, on the other hand, will follow you for a two or three decades, and it will severely affect your finances and your ability to live the life o' luxury that we all no doubt are counting on living as future docs. That's why if Miami hadn't offered me a scholarship, I would have withdrawn there for a cheaper school, no question. Finally, how happy you are at any school depends on you as much as anything. Opportunities don't just fall into your lap out of nowhere. You have to actively seek them out and make them happen. I absolutely hated my first year of grad school here, but a lot of that was because *I* was miserable in general. Yeah, the school has its bad points, and I still grumble about them, but it's amazing how when I finally decided to make the effort to get the max out of my education here, all of a sudden I started finding a whole lot more to like about the school. I'm actually even going to miss this place.

That's my two cents. Y'all can take on whatever debt you want in your quest for some ephemeral dream of medical school ideality, but I do believe you'll come to regret it once the reality of what that debt does to you actually sinks in. It's an awfully short-sighted philosophy of life to only consider what will make you happy now instead of in the long run. That is, unless you only think you're going to be living for another five years. In that case though, I would suggest doing something more fun altogether in lieu of going to medical school.

Well Miami was one of my cheaper schools since most I applied to were private. I did get into a state school but I didn't feel it was for me.

McMD said:
Well Miami was one of my cheaper schools since most I applied to were private. I did get into a state school but I didn't feel it was for me.
Well, then you made the best decision for you. I know my post came across kind of strong, but for the record, I wasn't specifically meaning to criticize you, McMD. If you've thought out the pros and cons and decided Miami is the best for you, then it probably is. There just seems to be an awful lot of "eh, screw the cost" attitude (again, not saying you specifically feel that way) on this site, and that's what I'm arguing against.

I'm just as concerned about the money as anyone else, I've spent many nights contemplating if I'm making the 'right' decision, but I decided that I'd rather be happy and in more debt....but then again, I'm in a different circumstance than most others...my fiance and I will be living at least 5 hours away from each other if I didn't go to UM...so that's a major concern for happiness and a minor concern for money (since we'd have to pay for 2 apartments).

Anyways, I'm pro-saving money, but I'm definitely more pro-being happy since there is the possiblity that if you're not happy in med school you may start to question your decision to even go into medicine...(as my friend is doing with dental school currently).

Q and McMD, you're arguing the exact arguments the two voices in my head are. As time goes by, I am tending toward the happiness factor. I've always been ridiculously practical with money issues, so this would be the first time that I'd push that aside.

I did my post-bacc at the cheapest possible school, and don't regret it one bit. Yes, it is true that you can grab opportunities anywhere. BUT - I think I'm ready to put myself in a place where those opportunities are more readily available - where getting them doesn't require a struggle. I also want to move to a city that doesn't suck the life out of you (which is how I currently feel). I'm going to be busy enough with med school, I want my surroundings and free time to be as good as possible. I've come to realize that my environment really affects how I feel about things, and a pleasant living situation certainly will put me in a better frame of mind to do well in school.

That said, I'm still on the fence. But whatever I decide to do, I'm going to make the decision and not look back.

foodlover said:
But whatever I decide to do, I'm going to make the decision and not look back.
That's the best attitude. Once you make the decision, there's no point in agonizing over it. Unfortunately we all have to make these decisions based on imperfect information, and we always run the risk of deciding wrong....

I agree. You have two completely different people in two completely different positions giving you advice. Both of us are deciding what is best for ourselves and we can't really speak for anyone else. QofQ is a non-trad and I'm sure that affects her decision-making and I'm about to get married and that definitely affected my decision-making. Only you can decide which is more important for you..money vs. happiness.

Anyways, good luck deciding between schools!! :)

Truce QofQ?

In other news...I just found out that the Opening of the Beaches is this weekend and that strongly affects my decision to go to the FAU open house. I'll keep you posted, but right now I'm strongly leaning toward the Opening of the Beaches!! :thumbup:

McMD said:
Truce QofQ?

In other news...I just found out that the Opening of the Beaches is this weekend and that strongly affects my decision to go to the FAU open house. I'll keep you posted, but right now I'm strongly leaning toward the Opening of the Beaches!! :thumbup:
No hard feelings here. Like I said, I'm more annoyed by the general "money doesn't matter" attitude some people have. I wasn't specifically responding to you. You seem to have thought it all out carefully, so I gotta respect that. :)

Sounds like there will be several people going, Miami campus people as well as FAUers. If my prof wasn't going to be having a post-defense party for me, I'd probably drive up myself....but it would be pretty bad if I didn't show up to my own celebration. :smuggrin:

True. Part of me REALLY wants to go and part of me is saying "no don't go"...my fiance and I only have 3 more weekends together until I move for school and then a month later he goes overseas (and one of those weekends is when we're getting married)....I really shouldn't spend the weekend away from him bc we don't have much time left together...BUT...I want to go to meet other people and find out what the hell we're supposed to be doing right now for Fin. Aid! So I'm torn! :rolleyes:

QofQuimica said:
No hard feelings here. Like I said, I'm more annoyed by the general "money doesn't matter" attitude some people have. I wasn't specifically responding to you. You seem to have thought it all out carefully, so I gotta respect that. :)

Sounds like there will be several people going, Miami campus people as well as FAUers. If my prof wasn't going to be having a post-defense party for me, I'd probably drive up myself....but it would be pretty bad if I didn't show up to my own celebration. :smuggrin:
this will be my one propaganda post of the thread: its great to be a miami hurricane! :love: :clap: :D

having said that.... Q, money doesnt matter. :p

i just said that because I SOOO could not pass up an opportunity to annoy you :smuggrin:

Arsenic said:
this will be my one propaganda post of the thread: its great to be a miami hurricane! :love: :clap: :D

having said that.... Q, money doesnt matter. :p

i just said that because I SOOO could not pass up an opportunity to annoy you :smuggrin:
Meh, you don't matter, so I don't care what you say. :p

Just kidding, A-man. You know I :love: you. Two more days until I'm official. :D I just practiced my talk, and I'm right on target timewise. :thumbup:

Arsenic- UM has *GOT* to get it's act together on a Miami campus second look. People are wavering here, big time. Even me. Everyone I know that interviewed there was blown away by the place, but now that is long faded from people who interviewed in October's minds. Now people have the spreadsheets out and it's UM vs UF, vs elsewhere and all people are thinking about are stupid things like practicality. UM knows how to sell, just by getting people in Miami and on the campus. A 2nd look would seal the deal for so many people. I mean, get a big box of munchkins and lets get this party started already!!! I'm sick of indecision here!

McMD said:
Hmmm...I THINK I'm going on Saturday....I was planning on wearing nice slacks with a semi-casual shirt. It will be "business casual." I wasn't comfortable in my interview suit (especially the jacket) and I don't want to wear it if I don't have to.

By the way...Welcome UFtoMiami....GO CANES! :)

:) Thanks for the welcome. I'm staying with a first year med student on fri night since I'm coming down from Gainesville... she said that nice slacks or skirt and a nice top or blouse will be fine. That's if you're a girl. If you're a guy I strongly suggest NOT wearing a skirt. :)

Well, looks like I'll be seeing lots of you down there.

unfrozencaveman said:
Arsenic- UM has *GOT* to get it's act together on a Miami campus second look. People are wavering here, big time. Even me. Everyone I know that interviewed there was blown away by the place, but now that is long faded from people who interviewed in October's minds. Now people have the spreadsheets out and it's UM vs UF, vs elsewhere and all people are thinking about are stupid things like practicality. UM knows how to sell, just by getting people in Miami and on the campus. A 2nd look would seal the deal for so many people. I mean, get a big box of munchkins and lets get this party started already!!! I'm sick of indecision here!
Agreed!!!

UFtoMiami2010 said:

Dress business casual: khaki pants, a collared shirt, and dress shoes. Don't wear your suit; you'll be the only one. We've got some good things planned for you guys this weekend. Too bad that I won't be there. I have to travel in the opposite direction (to UF) for Saturday.

unfrozencaveman said:

The closest thing to a second look weekend is the FAU open house. Several of the students I met last year were going to the Miami campus. They stopped by to meet some of their future classmates.

As of today, 32 people have signed up for the open house. I sure hope that more people plan on coming. You'll get nerdery envy once you see this place.