***University of Miami Class of 2011!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,

I had a few questions:

1. Did Anyone complete the Medical Student Questionaire? I called AAMC and they said that it is discontinued but it says on the Umiami website that we should complete it.

2. When exactly do we pay for classes?

3. Have we decided yet on a day to meet?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

as for number 1, are you referring to the financial aid questionare?

they said its required to receive aid

Hey everyone,

I had a few questions:

1. Did Anyone complete the Medical Student Questionaire? I called AAMC and they said that it is discontinued but it says on the Umiami website that we should complete it.

2. When exactly do we pay for classes?

3. Have we decided yet on a day to meet?

Thanks!

1) as for the msq, the AAMC now says "The 2007 AAMC Matriculating Student Questionnaire (MSQ) is scheduled to be open starting July 10, 2007. Please try again after that date."

2) you need to pay for classes before we start class

Members don't see this ad :)
1) as for the msq, the AAMC now says "The 2007 AAMC Matriculating Student Questionnaire (MSQ) is scheduled to be open starting July 10, 2007. Please try again after that date."

2) you need to pay for classes before we start class

Techinically no. It is better if you pay before classes especially if you need a CaneID and such but I needed to wait for some loan money and they gave me a good 3 weeks to pay.

Techinically no. It is better if you pay before classes especially if you need a CaneID and such but I needed to wait for some loan money and they gave me a good 3 weeks to pay.

I am a bit confused about this also. I am taking out a student loan to pay for my tuition. I called the financial aid office and they said that the money from the loan goes straight to the school and covers tuition. Did you take out some other type of loan?

I am a bit confused about this also. I am taking out a student loan to pay for my tuition. I called the financial aid office and they said that the money from the loan goes straight to the school and covers tuition. Did you take out some other type of loan?

you sound confused. what exactly are you trying to ask?

If you are taking out the loan directly from the school then you don't have to worry; the student loan is paid directly.

I took out a loan from my bank because they gave me a phenomenal interest rate as a long-time member. So I had to wait for funds to come in.

If you are taking out the loan directly from the school then you don't have to worry; the student loan is paid directly.

I took out a loan from my bank because they gave me a phenomenal interest rate as a long-time member. So I had to wait for funds to come in.

oh gotcha. thanks

hey guys,
i am in the process of applying right now and have miami listed as one of my top schools.. i was jw if you guys could post ur mcat/gpa so i could see what they are looking for.

thanks, tz

hey guys,
i am in the process of applying right now and have miami listed as one of my top schools.. i was jw if you guys could post ur mcat/gpa so i could see what they are looking for.

thanks, tz

not an easy question to answer. admission is way more than about numbers. we all know people with mcat scores in the low 30's and some in the high 30's. gpa of course is a wide range too.

Hey (OT) deuist do you know how long the orientation days for 2nd year usually last? I know you are at FAU but what was your experience.

Thanks!

To anyone attending UMMSM at the regional campus in Boca and anyone else for that matter, I am moving to Boca on July 28th and do not know anyone in the area except for the Brazilian family with which I am living. I would love to meet up with any of you who will be in the area during this time. I'm fun and easygoing so hit me up if you are interested.

-Kevin

myspace.com/kevinsimonelic
857-345-0782

Do you guys know if we need to buy anything before orientation like the stethoscope and all that, or are there representatives selling everything during orientation before classes start?

Members don't see this ad :)
Orientation for 2nd year takes only one day, and lasts about 8 hours.

For the entering first-years, don't buy anything before school begins. You need only a stethoscope for the first two years. A rep will be on campus to sell you one. The rest of the equipment such as a tuning fork, pen light, or reflex hammer can be had for free from a drug rep. Borrow an ophthalmoscope from a friend.

are there a certain color scrubs you need for anatomy lab, etc? i bought a pair of blues just in case

are there a certain color scrubs you need for anatomy lab, etc? i bought a pair of blues just in case

Blue is standard fare but the more stylish and adventurous go with white, pink, black, red, purple, pink...

Hey everyone,

School is almost here, I cant believe it!

Anyway, I think that we are leaning towards having a get together the week before orientation on a sunday (August 5). Go on the facebook group and post what time works best for you or post it here.

See you guys soon.

hey guys,

thanks, tz

Are you in state or out of state?

Hey everyone

FYI there will be a class get together at Chilis on Bayside at 4 pm Sunday August 5th. Everyone is invited...hope to see you guys there!

will we be needing a suit for the first few weeks of school? i have yet to buy a new pair of suit shoes (wrecked my interview ones).

will we be needing a suit for the first few weeks of school? i have yet to buy a new pair of suit shoes (wrecked my interview ones).

Huh? You'll never wear a suit while in medical school. "Professional attire" is a dress shirt and slacks. You'll only come in professional attire to orientation and patient encounters. The rest of the year, just wear normal street clothes. While there is a dress code, it is never enforced except for patient encounter days.

Ok this might be a stupid question but are we supposed to start buying textbooks before orientation? If so, do we get a recommended list? On the med education website it doesn't seem like they finalized the boca curriculum yet....

There is a book list for you Gin, it's on the FAU website. Saw it the other day, can't remember where :)

Oh, btw people, just in case you wanted to know

I GOT INTO MIAMI CAMPUS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, btw people, just in case you wanted to know

I GOT INTO MIAMI CAMPUS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow zeke thats awesome...you never gave up hope! :thumbup:

Does that mean we will be seeing you at Chilis August 5th?

Wow zeke thats awesome...you never gave up hope! :thumbup:

Does that mean we will be seeing you at Chilis August 5th?
LOL, nope because it's my brother's wedding day... Sorry everyone, but don't have TOO much fun without me! See you all at Orientation!!!!

LOL, nope because it's my brother's wedding day... Sorry everyone, but don't have TOO much fun without me! See you all at Orientation!!!!

lol hope you have a nice time. Try to enjoy summer while you can. I'm trying so hard right now to enjoy summer that its getting kind of stressful thinking of new ways to have fun...maybe i should just sleep...

Congrats to you Zeke! :banana: So, you're not going to the boca campus then :(

Huh? You'll never wear a suit while in medical school. "Professional attire" is a dress shirt and slacks. You'll only come in professional attire to orientation and patient encounters. The rest of the year, just wear normal street clothes. While there is a dress code, it is never enforced except for patient encounter days.

I was pretty much asking for orientation. Are khakis suitable for these professional attire days (dont know if they qualify as slacks or not)?

Hi all, I'm not going to Miami, but I am in Miami. For those of you who are local, where did you get your outstanding immunizations? Did you just go to your primary care doctor and get them at the office? Or did you go to some clinic? Thanks!

I know it's sad :(. But, we should hang out during orientation and keep in touch :)

hey all,
i haven't been on SDN in forever... i'm curious to see how many of us on SDN are also part of the facebook group, but anyway, i'll see most of you at chilis on the 5th! i'm excited... moving to the MIA on thursday :)

Hey everyone,

School is almost here, I cant believe it!

Anyway, I think that we are leaning towards having a get together the week before orientation on a sunday (August 5). Go on the facebook group and post what time works best for you or post it here.

See you guys soon.

Im going to miss this one :/ my flight is coming in a bit later. Please please please post if there are going to be any subsequent hang outs, I'd love to join.

Im going to miss this one :/ my flight is coming in a bit later. Please please please post if there are going to be any subsequent hang outs, I'd love to join.
Yeah me too. I'm in Canada for the week. Don't forget about me people :(!

Thanks LTD, you too!!! Have a great summer and a great year!!! You're going to rawk their sawks off :)

Where to get this new stuff added at the last minute by Miami Admissions?

Dissection instruments including 2 pair of forceps (1 standard, 1 rat tooth), 2 pair of scissors, 1 blunt probe, and 1 scalpel and disposable blades.
Hey Medtrial,

check out the forms that they attached, or if you can't get to it, email Dr. Hinkley. Yeah...there is a survival pack being organized by students and apparently they can order that stuff and then you bring your check to orientation...I'm in the same boat.

Also, everyone, I'm freaking out. Just got back to Miami tonight and I'm so nervous about starting and meeting everyone and also SO excited!!!! AAAH!!!!! :)

Do you guys know what the heck to wear to orientation?? I'm a jeans person, is that ok? Or should I do the whole khakis or skit??

Thanks

I think it said business casual, so however you want to interpret that I guess.

I just got this email:

You should plan to arrive between 8:00AM and 8:15AM. Dress appropriately and "professional casual" is recommended.

Is that on the same boat as the professional casual dress code "enforced" at school? I hate being overdressed and definently dont want to be.

You must wear business casual (called "professional casual") to orientation. Do not be the one person who shows up in jeans. Nekrogg, no one will ever fault you for being overdressed to an event. You certainly don't want to be underdressed.

k I'm doing brown khakis with a button shirt or whatever...blah....goodbye jeans...I'll wear you soon :)

k I'm doing brown khakis with a button shirt or whatever...blah....goodbye jeans...I'll wear you soon :)

totally. fyi, you guys will get your ID pictures taken either tomorrow or friday... the pic will follow you on your badge and student evaluation forms for 4 years so smile. :laugh:

welcome to miami guys!

Can't wait to meet everyone tomorrow :D

I just want to wish all of you a good start. I hope you have an awesome experience at UM. Good luck to all.
I wish I was there with you, as you know my heart was set on Miami, but for some personal reasons I decided to stay within the Tampa Bay area and go to USF.
Again, good luck.

Hi im a fourth year medical student at Boston University, and am doing an away rotation for 4weeks at the UofM starting in two weeks (SEPT 3rd). Do any of you guys want a roomate and/or sublet? I clean up after myself and will pay rent. I need a place close to the school or max 30 min away. Please contact me
6179533248 or [email protected]

thanks

P.S. if you have any information about where i can find housing/sublet for a month please let me know!!

So, school starts and suddenly we're all too "busy" for SDN. Give me a break...you can't study ALL day... :)