***University of Miami Class of 2011!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to Miami! Californian here that finally :):D :hardy:

Wow, this thread is extremely long. Anyways, what are people doing for housing? :idea:

Well I have been living in a cardboard box on the Beach the past year....rent isn't too bad...about $450 a month.

Next year I am upgrading to a trash receptacle outside the Beach Ritz Carlton for a pricey $990

(I kid....it isn't that bad....or is it?) :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Well I have been living in a cardboard box on the Beach the past year....rent isn't too bad...about $450 a month.

Next year I am upgrading to a trash receptacle outside the Beach Ritz Carlton for a pricey $990

(I kid....it isn't that bad....or is it?) :smuggrin:

what a deal! Beachside living, great outdoor seaside view, community of lovely happy tourists, ample parking, left over catered food. I want in for next year :hardy: :love:

what a deal! Beachside living, great outdoor seaside view, community of lovely happy tourists, ample parking, left over catered food. I want in for next year :hardy: :love:

Sorry the landlord is kind of picky about roommates...and you have to pay extra for food, electricity, and cleanish bedsheets. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry the landlord is kind of picky about roommates...and you have to pay extra for food, electricity, and cleanish bedsheets. :cool:
I live on the beach...dunno what you people are talking about...and my rent is less than your trash receptacle!!!

I'm gonna be in Miami this weekend to check things out and to show off the school and city to my dad...being a Michigander I'm pretty excited

I'm gonna be in Miami this weekend to check things out and to show off the school and city to my dad...being a Michigander I'm pretty excited
I've never understood why they don't call you people Michigonians...but whatever...

or Michiganehs like in Yiddish... :)

Just got in and will be joining some of you at Boca in the fall!

w00ttt

waitlist....please move...

Hey all

Just came back from Cancun and had a blast!

Anyway, does anyone know when deposits are due to reserve a spot in the class?

Thanks!

Hey all

Just came back from Cancun and had a blast!

Anyway, does anyone know when deposits are due to reserve a spot in the class?

Thanks!

Nevermind. I called the Office of Admissions, and the lady told me that the deposit is due before May 31st.

Nevermind. I called the Office of Admissions, and the lady told me that the deposit is due before May 31st.
WHAT?!!?!? My thing says the deposit is due June 8th...ok...what...let me go look on the website.

I'm confused as I recieved no notification of when the deposit is due. I had to call to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
i wouldn't worry about it yet gunners... the office of admissions isn't going to give your spot to someone else without notifying you.

Does anyone have any info in regards to how the waitlist works? Also, does ADCOM tell applicants their rank on the waitlist? Those that are getting off of the waitlist, please take a moment and post.

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone have any info in regards to how the waitlist works? Also, does ADCOM tell applicants their rank on the waitlist? Those that are getting off of the waitlist, please take a moment and post.

Thanks in advance!

Its a ranked waitlist that moves when people drop. No, they don't tell you your rank. In fact, there is very little that they tell regarding the alternate list.

When are the FL residency forms due? There are 2 different dates; June 8th on the academic calendar and July 13th on the residency documents page....does anyone know?

Heyo- member of the Class of 2010 at UM (Miami Campus) here. If anybody is still looking for housing, I have the perfect place- literally a 10-15 min. walk to school (I do it every day), great street, great neighbors, fantastic landlord, beautiful home- my roommates are moving out (new jobs elsewhere), and it's $500/month for each person. Obviously, everybody gets their own room, and we have a home theater, home gym, etc. I moved in where med students had been living before, and hopefully I'll get a few more in with me. If it helps, I still have all my first year textbooks (which you can use, no problem), and I'll be glad to help out with any other issues you guys might have. Send me a private message through here or add me and message me on Facebook, and I'll send you pictures, if you like.

Thanks much, and I'd love to help out with anything else you all may want to know about.

-Doug Kwazneski, c/o 2010

In case anyone was wondering, Dr. Hinkley said that the FL residency documents are due by July 13th. :p

Did any of you get your caneID get?

I am from OOS and most likely will attend Miller this fall. Does anyone know how I can qualify for the diversity schlarship? I need all the financial help possible since the total costs is $$62,500 per year.

hes an idea. be more diverse.

I have a couple of questions about the miami area since Im now looking at housing options, if some one can answer them that would be great...
So, I read on the metrorail website that there is no parking at the Brickell metrorail station. Im wondering how convenient the metromover thing is to get to the station. Also how long does it take to drive from the Brickell area to Jackson during rush hour? Also, how difficult is it to get a parking pass from the med school?

I have a couple of questions about the miami area since Im now looking at housing options, if some one can answer them that would be great...
So, I read on the metrorail website that there is no parking at the Brickell metrorail station. Im wondering how convenient the metromover thing is to get to the station. Also how long does it take to drive from the Brickell area to Jackson during rush hour? Also, how difficult is it to get a parking pass from the med school?

right, there's zero parking at the brickell metrorail station. i lived on brickell for the first year of med school but i never took the metro or metromover so i cant tell you anything else about that.

as for driving from brickell to campus, its 10 minutes. there is ZERO traffic going northbound on I-95 in the mornings since its out of downtown and most traffic is in the other direction.

for the med school parking pass you need to talk to Daisy in the security office. i dont know if the wait list has improved since they opened up the parking garage for the new gym but the wait use to be 2-3 months to get a parking pass. they use to tell us to call now, around june, so that we could have a pass in august. here's the latest info from the incoming freshman website about parking:

http://www.mededu.miami.edu/Admissions/parking

Thanks Arsenic. That sounds great. I put my name on the parking waitlist and Daisy said it should be no problem.

Anyway know about any basketball courts in the Brickell area? Or will I have to Coral Gables?

someone posted over an pre-allo that they heard UM was going to end its affiliation with jackson. does anyone know what this person is talking about? how true it is? if it is true, when? etc.

someone posted over an pre-allo that they heard UM was going to end its affiliation with jackson. does anyone know what this person is talking about? how true it is? if it is true, when? etc.

Rumors like that have been flying ever since UM announced that they were going to try to purchase Cedars. We've had class meetings with the dean and he's made it clear that we are trying to secure Cedars but that there is no plan to sever our relationship with Jackson. The idea is to have Cedars as an additional teaching facility and outlet for our patients to see UM physicians, not a replacement for JMH.

Thanks Arsenic. That sounds great. I put my name on the parking waitlist and Daisy said it should be no problem.

Anyway know about any basketball courts in the Brickell area? Or will I have to Coral Gables?

i dont know of any around brickell but to tell you the truth i never looked so there might be something there. i know there are courts at the gables campus, there might even be one at the new fitness center on the medical campus that all students have access to but again im not sure.

Rumors like that have been flying ever since UM announced that they were going to try to purchase Cedars. We've had class meetings with the dean and he's made it clear that we are trying to secure Cedars but that there is no plan to sever our relationship with Jackson. The idea is to have Cedars as an additional teaching facility and outlet for our patients to see UM physicians, not a replacement for JMH.

what/where is cedars. is there a website?

In case any of you incoming Boca students are looking for housing, my place is going to become available. It's a 2 br/2ba condo that will probably go for $1200 a month (total). The landlord is also putting in new carpet once I leave.

I am from OOS and is looking for housing around Brickell especially within walking distance to the Metrorail station. Can someone recommends any apartments or condos with their phone numbers?

I am from OOS and is looking for housing around Brickell especially within walking distance to the Metrorail station. Can someone recommends any apartments or condos with their phone numbers?

the Camden Brickell or 1550 Brickell. Google either of them for number.

the Camden Brickell or 1550 Brickell. Google either of them for number.

Thank you. I got info on both of these apts, and they are very close in rents, starting around $1,105-$1,200 per month for 1 bedroom. If you have seen these two apartments, can you tell me which one do you prefer and why?

If anyone's looking for a 3 bedroom apartment, my roommates and I are moving out of our place at 1200 Brickell Bay Dr. (The Club) at the end of this month.

Thank you. I got info on both of these apts, and they are very close in rents, starting around $1,105-$1,200 per month for 1 bedroom. If you have seen these two apartments, can you tell me which one do you prefer and why?

Hi, I currently live on Brickell and can tell you a bit about these two...I've actually been inside a one-bedroom at 1550...and they seemed nice and clean. It is a very small (low) buildings surrounded by huge buildings. It is right on Brickell Avenue and if you cross the street and go down a little there is great little baywalk where people walk, jog, ride bike, etc.

The Camden Brickell (if I am thinking of the right one) is not directly on Brickell Avenue...however, it is in an area of Brickell that seen a lot of development recently with a Baja Fresh, Starbucks, etc. right there. I have not seen the apartments in Camden Brickell and I am not certain that this is the same building I am thinking of...I also think this building was recently built so I imagine it will be clean and newer appliances.

I love living in Brickell...very close to everything...there is a lot of construction going on that can sometime cause minor traffic. It is very close to the medical campus at Miami (I used to work there).

i took a 2/2 at the camden. look at the website. it just looks great.

Hi, I currently live on Brickell and can tell you a bit about these two...I've actually been inside a one-bedroom at 1550...and they seemed nice and clean. It is a very small (low) buildings surrounded by huge buildings. It is right on Brickell Avenue and if you cross the street and go down a little there is great little baywalk where people walk, jog, ride bike, etc.

The Camden Brickell (if I am thinking of the right one) is not directly on Brickell Avenue...however, it is in an area of Brickell that seen a lot of development recently with a Baja Fresh, Starbucks, etc. right there. I have not seen the apartments in Camden Brickell and I am not certain that this is the same building I am thinking of...I also think this building was recently built so I imagine it will be clean and newer appliances.

I love living in Brickell...very close to everything...there is a lot of construction going on that can sometime cause minor traffic. It is very close to the medical campus at Miami (I used to work there).

Im glad for these down to earth ratings. Reading apartmentsratings.com can really scare the day lights out of you. Shootings, cockroaches, "black mold" seems like a big problem with miami housing according to that site....

The apartments are rather expensive though. In terms of haggling, how much can you subtract off the monthly payments with bargaining? Any tips on how to bargain? Is it like a car dealer where they wont let you leave or will they just simply write you off if you low ball too much?

Im glad for these down to earth ratings. Reading apartmentsratings.com can really scare the day lights out of you. Shootings, cockroaches, "black mold" seems like a big problem with miami housing according to that site....

The apartments are rather expensive though. In terms of haggling, how much can you subtract off the monthly payments with bargaining? Any tips on how to bargain? Is it like a car dealer where they wont let you leave or will they just simply write you off if you low ball too much?

I made the move down to Miami from Ohio last summer along with 2 other OOS roommates and we were able to settle on $2500 rent down from the asking price of $2750. We probably could have gone down to $2300 - 2350 looking back on it. I don't think it can hurt you that much to be aggressive with your asking price, a good amount of condos down here are just sitting empty and the owners will take just about anything over paying the monthly mortgage payment themselves.

Hi Nekrogg, I think apartmentratings.com is just very negative...I find people in general are much more vocal when they are complaining, particularly in an anonymous forum with identity or fact-checking. I'm going through the same thing trying to find housing in Tampa...I mean, the way it sounds I will need to worry about drive-by shooting, drug-dealling in the parking lot, and get an armored car. So while it is really unnerving, I wouldn't worry too much about those ratings since, by and large, it seems to be a sounding board and venting place for the dissatisfied.

I personally live in a condo unit and rent directly from a condo owner. Like inflames stated, I think it much more negotiable when you are dealing with a private owner, as opposed to a management company or all rental building. There are three condo buildings together in the area of 1900-2000 Brickell that I would not recommend. It's not horrible, but I saw the condos there and it just seemed old and dinghy compared to the other buildings on Brickell. Otherwise, I've had a pleasant experience renting from a condo owner bc they are more open to negotiation. I got my owner to come $300/month from their initial asking price, not to increase the rent after one year, and switch to short-term lease. They take a little more work to find, but it is worth it. My building has been under construction since I moved in and they can lead to annoyance like my designated parking spaces being taken up by workers and/or other residents who have had their parking spots used by the construction. But I have had no problems with mold (black or otherwise), roaches or ever heard shootings and/or felt unsafe. I think Brickell is a great place to live and it is extremely convenient to the Miami medical campus.

I personally worked at the Miami medical campus and would not recommend living in that area...there is nothing there (other than school) and it is not safe. Also, I would not recommend living in South Miami and/or Coral Gables despite the proximity and availability of the metrorail, because again I don't think the area has more to offer than Brickell and the traffic in those areas are horrible.

Oh another rental building in the area is called the The Yacht Club and it is very nice, but on the pricey side. We have friends who live there and it's very nice and they had no complaints.

How could I tell if an apartment is privately owned or not? Camden Brickell definitely looks corporate as their website links to other major camden apartments. I will try hard balling a few and telling them this is how much I can pay and these are the terms.. Hope it goes well.

Oh another rental building in the area is called the The Yacht Club and it is very nice, but on the pricey side. We have friends who live there and it's very nice and they had no complaints.

I found many different yacht clubs. Are you referring to the one on brickell? Or the one on miami beach? Either one, they look very nice. Do you happen to know what kind of rent your friends pay?

The place I'm referring to is the one on Brickell:
http://www.theyachtclubapartments.com/
Don't know exact rent...pretty pricey...like over $2k for a 2bd/2bath with wraparound balcony

Another rental place that is very new on Brickell is One Broadway: http://www.onebroadway.com/

The above as well as Camden Brickell and the 1550 complex are not condo buildings. Off the top of my head, these are private condos: Brickell East, Santa Maria, Brickell Townhouse...there's alot...here's a good list, though not complete, of condos on Brickellhttp://www.miamicondolifestyle.com/brickell_condos.php

Perhaps you can look up the numbers for these buildings and then call the front desk or management office and see if they know of any condos in the building for rent. That list is a good starting point...the place I would not recommend on the list is the Brickell Place 1, 2, 3, or 4...not horrible, but you can find nicer on Brickell.

Anybody looking for a roommate or two in Boca? I was down there last weekend and was able to haggle for some decent deals on some really nice places.

Anybody looking for a roommate or two in Boca? I was down there last weekend and was able to haggle for some decent deals on some really nice places.
hey deac07, whereabouts were you looking? I was told Boca Del Mar area is the place to be, but I'm curious at looking into private condo owners, because the management companies just screw you, as someone was saying earlier. I might be interested in a roommate... PM me.