***University of Miami Class of 2011!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody looking for a roommate or two in Boca? I was down there last weekend and was able to haggle for some decent deals on some really nice places.

I might be interested as well. Give me some details pretty please.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I had a question directed at current UM medical students. Can you give me any information regarding the summer trip to the Dominican Republic after MS-1? Is it mandatory or optional? When is it during the summer and for how long? I am asking because my family wants to plan a vacation next summer and needs the dates ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone,

I had a question directed at current UM medical students. Can you give me any information regarding the summer trip to the Dominican Republic after MS-1? Is it mandatory or optional? When is it during the summer and for how long? I am asking because my family wants to plan a vacation next summer and needs the dates ASAP. Thanks in advance.

(uneducated opinion) something like this definitely sounds optional to me.. especially if its not on the academic calender

Members don't see this ad :)
(uneducated opinion) something like this definitely sounds optional to me.. especially if its not on the academic calender

It is optional. There are both spring and summer trips but more people tend to go on the spring break trips. They are said to be great experiences and lots of fun, but don't feel bad if you want to do something else. A good portion of our class didn't go on either.

And for the person asking about basketball courts...I have no idea about Brickell but I do know that many of my classmates who live in Brickell drive down to the undergrad campus to play ball; we play unofficially as a class about once a week. I go 3-4 times a week during the year and the competition is very, very good (there are some really athletic people at undergrad). The only major beef I have with undergrad is that there are only 3 indoor courts so waiting can be a problem once it gets past 5pm, and the outdoor courts SUCK. Also don't try to go on Saturdays, it is packed.

Does anyone know if the Miami main campus has a white coat ceremony, and if so, when?

Also how many days ahead are you arriving in town? The orientation is Aug 9, thursday.

Does anyone know if the Miami main campus has a white coat ceremony, and if so, when?

Also how many days ahead are you arriving in town? The orientation is Aug 9, thursday.

my understanding is that we dont have a white coat ceremony like other schools. rather, we have a pining (sp?) at the end of the first year.

I am arriving in town about 2 weeks in advance, but that is only b/c i wnat to spend plenty of time relaxing. Id say one week is plenty.

Did anyone apply for and receive the diversity scholarship? If so, would you mind disclosing how much is rewarded, and is it for one year or 4 years?

I am from OOS and need all the help to pay for the $68k:eek:!

Answers:

Dominican is optional.

There is no white coat ceremony, but there is a pinning ceremony in February.

I got the diversity scholarship. It works all 4 years. I will not disclose how much I received.

Miami's recommended lender is the U. How do their benefits compare to AAMC's Medloans program? Anyone do the research and figure out which is a better deal? AAMC claims they can save you 38K....

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

I know it has been mentioned that the Megalife plan offered through the school is not a good one, but does anyone have any other suggestions? I am not sure where to start to find a decent health insurance company and plan. Is there a particular insurance that is more widely used by Miami's medical students than others? Thanks for the help.

i havent read up on the insurance stuff yet, but does anyone know if i have insurance right now if i could just keep that and use it as opposed to having megalife?

Members don't see this ad :)
i havent read up on the insurance stuff yet, but does anyone know if i have insurance right now if i could just keep that and use it as opposed to having megalife?

my understanding is that you can use w.e insurance you want....

Hey everyone,

Like many of you, I am going to be purchasing medical equipment for 1st yr doctoring classes. I had a question regarding the opthalmoscope and the stethoscopes.

For the opthalmoscopes, do you think it is worth it to get the pan optic and std coaxial or just the coaxial? Which battery should I get, black lithium or silver?

Also, do you think I should get a Littman 3 stethoscope or Welsch Allyn Tycos?

Thanks so much

Hey everyone,

Like many of you, I am going to be purchasing medical equipment for 1st yr doctoring classes. I had a question regarding the opthalmoscope and the stethoscopes.

For the opthalmoscopes, do you think it is worth it to get the pan optic and std coaxial or just the coaxial? Which battery should I get, black lithium or silver?

Also, do you think I should get a Littman 3 stethoscope or Welsch Allyn Tycos?

Thanks so much

Get the cheapest ophthalmoscope you can find. After 2nd year, you will never use it again. If anything, purchase a good used on eBay. For batteries, you may want to consider the lithium ion because it's chargeable. You simple plug the handle into the wall the night before a patient encounter and you'll be set for the next day. With a standard battery set, you never really know how much juice you have left.

The stethoscope is the one piece of equipment you don't want to skimp on. While the Littman is more popular, I prefer the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite (the Tycos). Although heavier, I like the sound quality over the Littman. If you read some of the stethoscope threads on SDN, you'll see that KentW and others agree with me.

Get the cheapest ophthalmoscope you can find. After 2nd year, you will never use it again. If anything, purchase a good used on eBay. For batteries, you may want to consider the lithium ion because it's chargeable. You simple plug the handle into the wall the night before a patient encounter and you'll be set for the next day. With a standard battery set, you never really know how much juice you have left.

The stethoscope is the one piece of equipment you don't want to skimp on. While the Littman is more popular, I prefer the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite (the Tycos). Although heavier, I like the sound quality over the Littman. If you read some of the stethoscope threads on SDN, you'll see that KentW and others agree with me.

does teh same hold true for the otoscope? for example, is it necessary to buy the MacroView or is this type fine: http://www.welchallyn.com/products/en-us/x-11-ac-100-0000000001141.htm

I was directed to a current student by Dr. Hinkley for advice and she told me it isn't really necessary to buy the ophthalmoscope, otoscope, or bp cuff because they are already provided almost everywhere you'll need them. A good stethoscope is all she said we would need. Is this in fact true? If so it'd be nice to save the money and not have unecessary equipment sitting around that I almost never would use.

I was directed to a current student by Dr. Hinkley for advice and she told me it isn't really necessary to buy the ophthalmoscope, otoscope, or bp cuff because they are already provided almost everywhere you'll need them. A good stethoscope is all she said we would need. Is this in fact true? If so it'd be nice to save the money and not have unecessary equipment sitting around that I almost never would use.

I got an email from Dr. Markowitz saying that we needed to purchase a stethoscope b4 classes started but everything else could wait

I got an email from Dr. Markowitz saying that we needed to purchase a stethoscope b4 classes started but everything else could wait

are you a current medical student or an incoming? I didnt get that email.... anyone else?

are you a current medical student or an incoming? I didnt get that email.... anyone else?

I'm an incoming med student. I'll be attending the boca campus so that email might have just been sent to the incoming boca students....

I'm an incoming med student. I'll be attending the boca campus so that email might have just been sent to the incoming boca students....

yup... I'll be at Boca too and I got the same email.

yup... I'll be at Boca too and I got the same email.

i wonder if the same holds true for miami campus students. i assume it does.... i think the ciriculum is identical?

Hey,

Any idea what the curriculum structure will be like? I know anatomy is first, but how long will we have for it....I heard that last year they only had 6 weeks of anatomy, is that true?

Also what about this freshman survival kit? Is it worth it or should I just by the stuff on my own?

Thanks.

Quick answers:

The Miami website goes into great detail about the curriculum differences between the two campuses. Your best bet would be to start there. If you still have questions, you'll need to email or call one of the deans. Since the class structure will be completely different next year, no one on this board can tell you what to expect at the Boca campus in the fall.

Anatomy was longer than 6 weeks. You may be referring to the graduate school version of anatomy.

Stay away from the Freshman survival kit. There's nothing in there that you absolutely need. Anything else you can purchase when you need it.

Feel free to buy a stethoscope before classes begin. However, you might want to wait for the Welch Allyn rep to show up on campus show that you can test various models to find what sounds best to you.

Hey,

Any idea what the curriculum structure will be like? I know anatomy is first, but how long will we have for it....I heard that last year they only had 6 weeks of anatomy, is that true?

Also what about this freshman survival kit? Is it worth it or should I just by the stuff on my own?

Thanks.

Anatomy was 9 weeks.

This year anatomy will be 8 weeks and be included with cell biology and embryology.

2 Questions:

1) Any ideas about decent insurance companies and plans aside from MegaLife? Does anyone have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate some.

2) Do we have to fill out paperwork for our individual lenders prior to school? What loan companies are people using? I was thinking about T.H.E....

2 Questions:

1) Any ideas about decent insurance companies and plans aside from MegaLife? Does anyone have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate some.

2) Do we have to fill out paperwork for our individual lenders prior to school? What loan companies are people using? I was thinking about T.H.E....

what is T.H.E.? I am going with AAMC Medloans as my lender. They have nice point reductions upon payback.

why are people saying that we start with anatomy this year? when you go to the meded site it shows that we do cell bio type stuff first.....

why are people saying that we start with anatomy this year? when you go to the meded site it shows that we do cell bio type stuff first.....

If you had the read 34043093 posts on the subject....;)

No but seriously this topic has been confirmed and posted multiple times: The freshman will start with cell biology (6 lectures), anatomy and embryology in the first 8 weeks. Take this from an MS-2 who is involved in the anatomy TA coordination efforts.

If you had the read 34043093 posts on the subject....;)

No but seriously this topic has been confirmed and posted multiple times: The freshman will start with cell biology (6 lectures), anatomy and embryology in the first 8 weeks. Take this from an MS-2 who is involved in the anatomy TA coordination efforts.

take a look at the meded site. it says otherwise..... any idea why?

take a look at the meded site. it says otherwise..... any idea why?

Wow that's interesting; first of all you got my attention that the sophomore schedule is online...good to now.

Second of all that looks completely wrong for the first years unless they did a 180 on us over the summer. I will check into it for you guys but that schedule looks identical to last year's, which makes me think that perhaps the IT people just plugged in the same lecture titles.

Wow that's interesting; first of all you got my attention that the sophomore schedule is online...good to now.

Second of all that looks completely wrong for the first years unless they did a 180 on us over the summer. I will check into it for you guys but that schedule looks identical to last year's, which makes me think that perhaps the IT people just plugged in the same lecture titles.

it does look like the 2006-2007 schedule except shifted one week later....

I spoke with the dean of medical education at the Boca campus before leaving to study STEP I. Anatomy is the first course of the year. Never trust the online schedule. It is only updated the week or so before a module starts.

Insurance---many people use Blue Cross/Blue Shield if they aren't on MegaDeath.

I spoke with the dean of medical education at the Boca campus before leaving to study STEP I. Anatomy is the first course of the year. Never trust the online schedule. It is only updated the week or so before a module starts.

That's what Dr. Blanks told me. Confirmed from the head of the anatomy program.

Um, that is not the case for the Boca Campus. Dr. Wragg told me her schedule is finalized, so maybe for the main campus it's anatomy. At boca, they said it will start with an intro to physician stuff course! Fun :)

Um, that is not the case for the Boca Campus. Dr. Wragg told me her schedule is finalized, so maybe for the main campus it's anatomy. At boca, they said it will start with an intro to physician stuff course! Fun :)

Dr. Markowitz told me the same thing Zeke...we're doing something different then the miami campus. :banana: The dancing banana is BACK!

Dr. Markowitz told me the same thing Zeke...we're doing something different then the miami campus. :banana: The dancing banana is BACK!
Hell Yeah!!! :)

I'm adding you on AIM Gin, I got a new contact name!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but for those of you who've looked at the schedule off the meded site, what username/password do we use? My caneid/pw doesnt seem to work.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but for those of you who've looked at the schedule off the meded site, what username/password do we use? My caneid/pw doesnt seem to work.

its a special class specific username and password that they will give you at orientation and that will be the same for everyone in your class.

[Removed by moderator: sorry, we can't have login usernames/passwords for the school posted on the public forums

flyingdutchman: contact Miami if you're having trouble logging in]

[Removed by moderator: sorry, we can't have login usernames/passwords for the school posted on the public forums

flyingdutchman: contact Miami if you're having trouble logging in]

obvi that wasnt a good idea. dutchman. check your facebook msg's. i just sent it to you.

Hey to all those going to the Boca Campus.

My dad has a condo available off of Lyons Road (a little west of the school). It is a 2/2 and it is going for $1200/month. Its a nice quiet community, I am in Class of 2010 and live in the same building. Takes about 15 min to get to school.

PM me if you are interested!

Ok. Are you going to the boca campus for sure?
Hey Gin, at this point I think the chances of getting a call are slim. I'd be happy wherever I go, because yay we're going to med school, but of course, I haven't given up hope just yet ;)