University of Minnesota c/o 2023 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m waiting for them to pull me off the waitlist lol (I’m #6 on oos) and would love to find a roommate ASAP :)
I don’t know if this helps or not, but I’m #6 for my IS. I already accepted UM, but if I get into Davis, my spot will be up for grabs!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know if this helps or not, but I’m #6 for my IS. I already accepted UM, but if I get into Davis, my spot will be up for grabs!
You’re the 6th person I’ve read on here/Facebook that has said that sooooo yes it helps!!! Also, congrats on davis. That’s my instate also but I didn’t make the cutoff

For the people who already found places to live or current students, how far do you guys live from campus. All the places I’ve been looking at are around a 15 min drive away from the St.Paul campus:oops:. Not sure if I’m gonna end up regretting not getting something that’s like five min away but I can’t seem to find anything that close.

I've been doing my undergrad at the U of M and commute either from my house (20 minutes without traffic) or my significant other's (30 minutes without traffic). Both have been doable for me even with 8am classes on the Minneapolis campus (I parked on St.Paul and had to take the connecter over so it took a bit longer). I think a 15 minute drive is completely fine

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been doing my undergrad at the U of M and commute either from my house (20 minutes without traffic) or my significant other's (30 minutes without traffic). Both have been doable for me even with 8am classes on the Minneapolis campus (I parked on St.Paul and had to take the connecter over so it took a bit longer). I think a 15 minute drive is completely fine
Would you know anything about the parking situation? Is parking easy to get on campus? At my undergrad parking was such a pain to get

Would you know anything about the parking situation? Is parking easy to get on campus? At my undergrad parking was such a pain to get

Parking is plentiful, there is a huge state fair lot almost right next to campus. You buy a contract per semester. There’s also a parking ramp closer to campus, but it’s more expensive

There are a few parking lots on the St.Paul campus that are $5/day or there's Gortner Ave Parking Garage right near the vet school but that charges by the amount of time you park there (I think it goes up to $12). There is street parking in neighborhoods nearby but those are usually limited to 1 hour parking which would not work for our 8-5 class schedule

Otherwise there's a parking contract lottery where you can choose 3 of your top places you want a parking pass for the semester, and you would pay a cost for the semester to park there if you get it (parking services page says it's a 3 out of 4 chance, but I've gotten one each year I entered it). Also, if you don't get a pass this way, the fairground parking lot always has open spaces and you can get a pass for that lot (it has more limited hours, you can't park between 11pm and 6am).

Graduate students have the option to apply for the Fall pass and if they get it can just renew it in the spring instead of having to do the lottery again that year. The price for the passes are: Lots – $69.00 per month; Ramps – $102.75 per month; Garages – $134.50 per month, but they are all charged a full semester at a time.

Here's the page on the parking lottery if you wanted to look at that more: Student Contract Lottery

Last edited:
I'm about to graduate and I didn't know this :(
I don't even remember how I found out in undergrad, but I don't remember it being mentioned during GOALE. I may put a resource list together for the coming years though!
I just found out that there's video editing software available too... if only I had known this sooner!

Declined my OOS seat. Unfortunately, I had to follow my head over my heart with this decision. I accepted a *slightly* cheaper option, closer to home, that aligned more with my interests. Although my decision makes logical sense, my heart chose Minnesota and I will deeply miss what could’ve been:( Maybe I will try for a residency there someday... Congrats to all those accepted and good luck to the waitlist candidates! You will love it there!

Reactions: 1 users
You’re the 6th person I’ve read on here/Facebook that has said that sooooo yes it helps!!! Also, congrats on davis. That’s my instate also but I didn’t make the cutoff
Davis offered me a spot today!! You’re at least one seat closer!!

So I'm looking at potential apartments and was wondering if, 1) there is a portal of some sort for incoming people who are looking for someone to co-sign a lease, and 2) if there is a mass database of places in the area that vet students have lived in. I know the housing spreadsheet on Facebook has some recommended places, but it's not an extensive list.

Thanks in advance!

So I'm looking at potential apartments and was wondering if, 1) there is a portal of some sort for incoming people who are looking for someone to co-sign a lease, and 2) if there is a mass database of places in the area that vet students have lived in. I know the housing spreadsheet on Facebook has some recommended places, but it's not an extensive list.

Thanks in advance!

The best way to find people looking for roommates is the Facebook page. I'm not sure if you can join the Minnesota CVM Students facebook group yet, but if you want to reach more current students looking for roommates I would try and join that and post it there.

The housing spreadsheet on facebook is the closest thing to the database you're looking for. We more recently started a tab for current students to give reviews about their apartment complexes, so that can give you and idea of where students have lived before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey fellow umn waitlisters! Anyone hear anything on rank updates today? I'm dying for an update but I'm irrationally scared to email the school for an update!

Hey fellow umn waitlisters! Anyone hear anything on rank updates today? I'm dying for an update but I'm irrationally scared to email the school for an update!
I’m literally refreshing my email every 10 seconds and staring at my phone. I want to email them so bad but I don’t wanna bother lol

I’m literally refreshing my email every 10 seconds and staring at my phone. I want to email them so bad but I don’t wanna bother lol
Same! I literally made a spreadsheet calculating my odds!! Where are you in rank? I'm #16 for IS but I'm crossing every digit!!!

Last year the updates went out to everyone at the same time after they made phone calls throughout the day, so I think it was around 4 o'clock central time. The updates also went out on the 16th, but I think that may have been because the 15th was a Sunday.

Hey all! I just got pulled off of the waitlist (I was IS #8)! So I just thought I'd update you guys on the movement of the list because you all have been so helpful and positive throughout this endless waiting!! Good luck to all of you still waiting!!

Reactions: 5 users
I just got the call at 1:30! I was #9 on the IS waitlist!! I’m so excited I get to stick around at the U for 4 more years!!! ❤️

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats guys!!! YOUR GONNA BE VETS!! Thanks for keeping us in the loop!!!

Got the email, went from #16 to #7! Still optimistic!

Went from #62 to #44 on the OOS waitlist. I will likely be taking my name off the list by the end of the week! I hope this will help someone else!

Can some current students provide input on how manageable the courseload is. I’m looking at the course catolog and it seems like a lot, especially when comparing the course load to other schools. I know it’s probably the same thing and all schools are rigorous but Minnesota seems to have a few more classes per semester. I feel like this would call for an exam like almost everyday. Would much appreciate any input on this concern :)

For those oos people like myself waiting for an update, I emailed because I’m impatient lol and I got this response:

Thank you for checking in. Students typically have one week to consider their offers of admission. There has been no change in wait list standing since our update went out yesterday. You are welcome to check in as needed for an update.

Can some current students provide input on how manageable the courseload is. I’m looking at the course catolog and it seems like a lot, especially when comparing the course load to other schools. I know it’s probably the same thing and all schools are rigorous but Minnesota seems to have a few more classes per semester. I feel like this would call for an exam like almost everyday. Would much appreciate any input on this concern :)

There are a lot of exams over the course of a semester, but typically not more than 1 or 2 a week, especially during first year. The curriculum is pretty integrated and systems-based, so while you have a lot of individual courses, they are all covering different aspects of similar material, which makes it more manageable, IMO, than having a bunch of totally separate classes. I found the exam load to be very manageable and in some ways it was helpful; it forces you to prioritize your studying for the week. More exams also means you have the benefit of some leeway in points; one bad day isn't going to sink your grade for the course if you have more exams over the course of the semester.

tl;dr: it looks bad but it's better than you'd think :)

Reactions: 2 users
For those oos people like myself waiting for an update, I emailed because I’m impatient lol and I got this response:

Thank you for checking in. Students typically have one week to consider their offers of admission. There has been no change in wait list standing since our update went out yesterday. You are welcome to check in as needed for an update.

Nice! I have a sneaking suspicion it's gonna be around 10 days before we see some movement though. However, I think OOS will start to see more movement now that waitlists are moving all over. Hang in there guys!

I think no matter where you go the courseload is going to be very high, and school will be demanding no matter where you go. Even though MN may have more courses, not every course we take is equal in terms of demand; for example our professional development class requires very little outside class work and has no exams, while biochem has exams and assignments. It functions to tell us about the profession, go over certain skills, etc. Some classes start later/end earlier so we aren't necessarily in every single class for the whole semester. Once exams begin (which takes a month) we have one exam per week. They try really hard not to give us 2 per week (at least first year) but sometimes it does happen. Occasionally there is a week without any tests. I've found it really manageable overall!
Like supershorty said, they work really hard to integrate the program so that classes support each other and cover related things at the same/similar time. Of course it isn't perfect, but I've found it very helpful to have similar topics come up in different ways/contexts and tie things together.

Last year the first couple updates came in waves. The first day of offers went out, and then no one got any until those deadlines were passed. Then everyone got the next update (including being pulled off the waitlist) on the same day. After the second or third then I think they started pulling people off the list as people declined their spots.

Hey guys!! I accepted my spot a few weeks ago! UMN was my first choice so Im so excited to meet you guys! :)

Went from 6 to 4 lol
I've been bad and haven't had time to release my seat. You'll move up at least one more spot. I'm writing an email to them now. Sorry for waiting so long!

• Haha
I've been bad and haven't had time to release my seat. You'll move up at least one more spot. I'm writing an email to them now. Sorry for waiting so long!
No worries! I’m sure the next wave I’ll get an offer!!

Just emailed for an update on the waitlist! At #1(IS)!

Reactions: 6 users
Not that I’m aware of; before the deadline I was #6 and as of now I’m #4
Dang! I'm sure it'll start picking up! Sending good thoughts your way! One hypothesis I have ( not backed by any tangible data) is that maybe people who have accepted out of state, then got into their in state, are holding onto their spots until the deposit goes through. Possible explanation, not certain though.
Either way, I'm rooting for you!

Dang! I'm sure it'll start picking up! Sending good thoughts your way! One hypothesis I have ( not backed by any tangible data) is that maybe people who have accepted out of state, then got into their in state, are holding onto their spots until the deposit goes through. Possible explanation, not certain though.
Either way, I'm rooting for you!
I’m irrationally checking my email every day lol but thank you! Hopefully I hear good news soon!! As well as those before me on the list!

Has it moved at all? I'd think it would start moving once all the waitlists updated...
Does Minnesota over-accept their OOS seats? If so, that could explain the lack of movement.

Does Minnesota over-accept their OOS seats? If so, that could explain the lack of movement.
They didn't mention over-accepting in my offer email. However, it has been a couple weeks since I emailed them relinquishing my seat. I have yet to hear anything back yet. I would think they'd at least send me a confirmation email acknowledging I'm no longer planning to attend since I did pay for my seat. I'm thinking about either re-emailing or calling on Monday to confirm they received my original email. Anyways, my point is that maybe it is just taking them a long time to answer emails and adjust the waitlist?

They didn't mention over-accepting in my offer email. However, it has been a couple weeks since I emailed them relinquishing my seat. I have yet to hear anything back yet. I would think they'd at least send me a confirmation email acknowledging I'm no longer planning to attend since I did pay for my seat. I'm thinking about either re-emailing or calling on Monday to confirm they received my original email. Anyways, my point is that maybe it is just taking them a long time to answer emails and adjust the waitlist?
Let us know please!

Does anyone know if there are any specific computer requirements? I know they will email us mid May with all the information we need to know but my laptop keeps shutting down on me and I wanted to get a new one this week

Does anyone know if there are any specific computer requirements? I know they will email us mid May with all the information we need to know but my laptop keeps shutting down on me and I wanted to get a new one this week
If no one on here knows, you can definitely email the school and they should have no problem letting you know.

So I know they had a set of recommended guidelines or whatever for purchasing a laptop/computer. I followed them and deeply regretted having to haul a giant heavy laptop to school everyday. Ignore the screen size and CD/DVD-player requirements when/if they do give them to you. Completely unnecessary.

So I know they had a set of recommended guidelines or whatever for purchasing a laptop/computer. I followed them and deeply regretted having to haul a giant heavy laptop to school everyday. Ignore the screen size and CD/DVD-player requirements when/if they do give them to you. Completely unnecessary.

I only followed on the screen size and my tablet met the specs that way lol