University of Minnesota c/o 2023 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PawPrints93

Mizzou c/o 2023
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn’t see a topic for MN started yet and I’m just too excited to wait any longer. Anyone else applying here this summer?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First time applicant and I'm applying! Does anyone have more information about the zoology course requirement? I read on the website that they usually take another semester of general biology to fulfill it

First time applicant and I'm applying! Does anyone have more information about the zoology course requirement? I read on the website that they usually take another semester of general biology to fulfill it

Yes! I’d email Violeta Bonneville with a syllabus of the course you took just to be sure, but most schools with a biology course that covers all of the phylums and biodiversity will probably work. Mine was the 2nd class in our general biology series.

I started this thread for 2022! I will be attending UMN so I'm happy to help :)

Does anyone know if they accept online microbiology/lab for the course requirement? My school didn't offer it so online was my only option :(

Does anyone know if they accept online microbiology/lab for the course requirement? My school didn't offer it so online was my only option :(
They likely will, I'd just email them and ask. They may want a course description or syllabus but they accepted all of the online courses I took (granted I took them through the U of MN so that probably helped, but my micro class was at a community college so...)

Second time applicant, first time to Minnesota! One of my top schools!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my app the other day. I decided to only apply to UMN (I’m IS).. risky decision, but I’m feeling good about it. That’s either a good sign or a bad sign

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are y'alls favorite aspects of the school? Pro's and con's?
I'm an OOS applicant and am not able to visit, so I'm relying on their website, the AAVMC book of schools, Google images and other peoples experiences :)

I'm an OOS applicant and am not able to visit, so I'm relying on their website, the AAVMC book of schools, Google images and other peoples experiences :)
(Disclaimer that I am a first year in my second week of classes; we just had our first quiz today and our first exam is next week so I have some limits to my experiences)

Pros: I love the community here- the teachers are really supportive and want you to succeed, upperclassmen (especially those involved with club outreach and orientation) are all approachable and willing to help you. We also talk a lot about mental health and have lots of support resources, so I feel really comfortable that I will be able to work through whatever may happen.
We also have a metric ton of clubs for all kinds of interests, so there are lots of ways to get experience outside of class!

Cons: we are tied by blood contract to the state fair, so we have a relatively late start compared to other schools (always the day after labor day). The state fair itself has lots of great opportunities, but traffic around it is a nightmare (including during orientation week). Beyond that I haven't been here long enough to have too many cons. I'm really having a good time overall!

Reactions: 1 users
Someone posted this last year:

Pros:
o Good faculty (though I dunno that I've ever heard a student at any vet school say their faculty weren't good);
o Slow, steady investment in facilities/equipment. Several years prior to my arrival they created the equine center, which is really outstanding. While I was there they revamped our 1940s era student carrel room and turned it into a tech'd out group learning environment. They also renovated one of the lecture rooms. The next year they revamped student surgery and put in all new tables, new (and nice) lights, an overhead camera at one table that could display to two drop-down monitors for teaching, etc.* After I left they broke ground on a new General Practice area in the hospital - the idea is/was to create a distinctive SA GP area that was self-contained to better model what SA practitioner graduates would see after they graduate. Had its own exam rooms, treatment area, etc. I haven't seen it, but the floor plans looked neat.
o Large teaching hospital. The case load is among the highest, which is nice come fourth year. (Downside: They don't see exotics!). The size gives you access to a broader set of experts than some students at some other schools will have. I can't remember who, but someone was talking about radiology .... their school has 0 board-certified radiologists. UMN has 4. Plus 3 residents. Other than the missing exotics, UMN is very well staffed.**
o Good community presence. Two clubs provide service to the community - one puts on an urban monthly clinic (mostly vaccines, but they do some skin scraping and that sort of thing), and another does multiple reservation trips in MN every year for wellness/sterilization. If you become super involved in those like I did you can gain a LOT of experience - much more than the school will ever be able to provide through the curriculum. As a bonus, you can really get to know some of the awesome faculty that are involved. There are other great clubs like any school, but these two stand out for what they offer the community as well as students. The urban clinic is similar in some ways to UC Davis's Mercer Clinic (but Mercer is, I think, a much more developed program.).
o Good public transportation. The metro bus/train service is well built-out in the Twin Cities. So long as you live somewhere with decent access to it you can easily bus to school for pretty cheap. I drove for a few years, but for my third year I mostly bused .... other than the time involved (I lived in a suburb so I had to switch buses midway) it was awesome.

Cons:
o Cost
o Cost
o Cost
o Minimal exotics exposure available fourth year without doing externships. (But that is probably true at many schools.) The UMN teaching hospital does not see exotics, including pocket pets, birds, or reptiles. (They do have the raptor center if you like birds, but they don't see pet birds.)
o Crappy parking. There is an expensive ramp right next to school, but otherwise it is outdoor lots that are at least a few blocks away, which can suck in Jan/Feb.
o Cost - I *love* UMN CVM. It's a great program with great staff. But they just plain HAVE to get their tuition back down to something reasonable, or hold it steady for many many years until inflation gets it back into a reasonable range. It is, last I checked, the most expensive land-grant school in the U.S. (as far as vet schools).

* Personally, I think the investment in surgery stuff was silly. I got WAY, WAY more experience in surgery doing SIRVS (similar to RAVS, but UMN-specific), RAVS, and a spay/neuter externship at a high-volume place than the single surgery I got as a second-year student...... UMN *ought* to be looking into ways to grow SIRVS or partner with low-income areas of the state: they could provide much more teaching/experience for a fraction of the cost of maintaining those facilities. But I think it's a tough swallow for administration to look at alternative approaches like that.

** The UMN Dentistry service is, last I heard, still shut down. It shut down the year I went into clinics when both dentists left for greener pastures. They apparently still have not hired someone. General Practice is doing some dentistry, but they need to get the Dentistry service back on its feet.

My only cons are vet school in general related debt and so much freakin work ugh...
But that's literally all I have for cons! I love UMN :biglove:
I am also OOS so if you have specific questions related to that feel free to hit me up!

If It makes you feel better, I only applied to UMN and I’m out of state :nailbiting:

Makes me feel a little better good luck! Hopefully we’ll be classmates!

Do they have any emphasis for public health? Aside from any dual degree seeking programs.

We have a big DVM/MPH program here - some of the other schools actually partner with UMN for it, or used to. If that's not your jam, we also have a required public health rotation on clinics and have it as a course during second year.

We have a big DVM/MPH program here - some of the other schools actually partner with UMN for it, or used to. If that's not your jam, we also have a required public health rotation on clinics and have it as a course during second year.

Thanks for the info! I will be completing my MPH this Fall, that's why I'm not really interested in the duel degree programs.

Got the confirmation email today. I knew it was coming soon and am very aware that we aren't getting any actual updates until December/January but I still almost barfed when I saw who the email was from. It's going to be a long few months :nailbiting:

Got the confirmation email today. I knew it was coming soon and am very aware that we aren't getting any actual updates until December/January but I still almost barfed when I saw who the email was from. It's going to be a long few months :nailbiting:

Same!

My mind literally thought I was being emailed to be rejected already

Same!

My mind literally thought I was being emailed to be rejected already

When my phone rings and I don’t recognize the number, I’m already starting to freak out thinking it’s them calling.. I am also well too aware that we won’t hear anything until December can it just be that time already please?

When my phone rings and I don’t recognize the number, I’m already starting to freak out thinking it’s them calling.. I am also well too aware that we won’t hear anything until December can it just be that time already please?
If it helps, the only phone calls you get from UMN will be for acceptances/getting pulled off the waitlist. Everything else is conducted via email.
(someone correct me if they make phone calls for issues/extenuating circumstances or something)

Me here, 3rd time applicant, 2nd time to UMN... I LOVED the school :)
Same here! I had an interview last year but didn’t make it, so fingers crossed this year will be different :) the school really is incredible and the people were so friendly!

Hi! Does anyone know of an online zoology course that would work for the zoology prerequisite? I used AP credit for biology and didn't have to take the biology series during my undergraduate degree. Minnesota won't accept AP bio credit for the zoology prerequisite. I know that I can take a general biology course, but I was just wondering if anyone knows of a zoology course. Thanks!

Hi! Does anyone know of an online zoology course that would work for the zoology prerequisite? I used AP credit for biology and didn't have to take the biology series during my undergraduate degree. Minnesota won't accept AP bio credit for the zoology prerequisite. I know that I can take a general biology course, but I was just wondering if anyone knows of a zoology course. Thanks!

You need a lab which typically consists of dissections and stuff so it might be easier to just take the 2nd part of the biology series wherever you're doing your undergrad!

Hey guys! I'm excited to be a part of this group of hopefuls! Wishing good luck to all!

I have a question for anyone who might be currently attending school here, or may just know- what does a week look like for first years? 8-5 everyday? I know that the curriculum is posted on the website, but I'm just curious about classroom hours vs. self study time

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

Hey guys! I'm excited to be a part of this group of hopefuls! Wishing good luck to all!

I have a question for anyone who might be currently attending school here, or may just know- what does a week look like for first years? 8-5 everyday? I know that the curriculum is posted on the website, but I'm just curious about classroom hours vs. self study time

You are generally expected to be in class 8-5, but every week is a little different. I think we get out early at least once a week if not more, especially if we have labs. (The class is divided up for labs except for anatomy, so you usually get a few hours free before or after your scheduled time.) There are also a few times where they give us an hour of study time with the excuse of giving us time for pre-lab prep, etc.
If you take electives you don't get out early as often, but the electives are pretty cool.

You are generally expected to be in class 8-5, but every week is a little different. I think we get out early at least once a week if not more, especially if we have labs. (The class is divided up for labs except for anatomy, so you usually get a few hours free before or after your scheduled time.) There are also a few times where they give us an hour of study time with the excuse of giving us time for pre-lab prep, etc.
If you take electives you don't get out early as often, but the electives are pretty cool.
Cool, good to know, thank you!

*cricket sounds* It's been so quiet on this thread...

It's finally December!!!!!! Anyone hear anything from the rumor mill about when we should hear something?!

:whistle:

*cricket sounds* It's been so quiet on this thread...

It's finally December!!!!!! Anyone hear anything from the rumor mill about when we should hear something?!

:whistle:
I think I heard something about 3rd week in December. I don't know how accurate that is, and I hope we hear sooner tbh!

Based on last year’s thread, people started getting interview invites and rejections on December 18th. However, the packet I got from them at an application seminar said that invites wouldn’t be sent until January. Either way, it will be here before we know it!

Reactions: 3 users
Last year was significantly earlier than previous years, so don't panic if it's early January and you haven't heard anything yet.

Good luck, you guys!

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like last year all the days were a bit off. My first instinct is to blame It on the super bowl being in Minneapolis and probably shifting things around a little bit. Could be totally wrong but I’ll keep telling myself that anyways so I don’t compulsively check my email through the rest of the month :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I feel like last year all the days were a bit off. My first instinct is to blame It on the super bowl being in Minneapolis and probably shifting things around a little bit. Could be totally wrong but I’ll keep telling myself that anyways so I don’t compulsively check my email through the rest of the month

You know everything was off since the Eagles won...

:whoa:did I just say that?

I'm a little late to the party but hello everybody! I'm an IS first time applicant to the U of M and it's the only school I applied to this cycle. So I'm giving myself an ulcer waiting for news...yikes.

Early January can't come soon enough....

I'm a little late to the party but hello everybody! I'm an IS first time applicant to the U of M and it's the only school I applied to this cycle. So I'm giving myself an ulcer waiting for news...yikes.

Early January can't come soon enough....

I’m in the same boat! IS, first time, and only applying here. Good luck! It’ll be here before we know it :)

Hey everyone! Just got an OOS invite so be on the lookout!

Reactions: 6 users
Interview invite IS!

OOS interview!

OOS interview!!!