University of Missouri-Columbia and University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mones

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
re: University of Missouri-Columbia and University of Utah

How competitive is it to get into these two school as an out-of-stater? My state residence is Maryland but I want to get out of here...be in another part of the country for med school.

Comments?

Members don't see this ad.

do i know you? i work in mmi right now.

for out-of-staters, mizzou is pretty tough to get into, especially for people several states away. there is a little leeway on admissions for residents of neighboring states, but it'd be sort of tough for a maryland resident to make his case to the admissions committee. part of the school's mission is to train physicians who want to stay in the area and not go off and practice in cities or on the coast, so they tend to overlook people with those kinds of interests.

that being said, if you have any ties to missouri or the midwest at all, you have a shot. the school is not too hard to get accepted to, once you've established those ties, and often the waitlist moves significantly.

oh, and if i do in fact know you, definitely apply here. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Mones said:

How competitive is it to get into these two school as an out-of-stater? My state residence is Maryland but I want to get out of here...be in another part of the country for med school.

Comments?

If you state residency in Maryland, Mizzou won't even consider you. You have to live in a contingent state to be considered for out-of-state acceptance.

Mones said:

Comments?
I'm an idaho resident accepted into MU last cycle. I basically had to write a letter explaining my "Missouri Connection" (i.e. my mother is a resident). If you have family or friends who are Missouri residents, that would really help. Otherwise, try to speak with Mrs. Nolke (and you have to call her Mrs.) and kiss the school's behind. I'm not going there next year because my husband couldn't find a job in Columbia but I LOVED the school when I visited. I really like the fact that they don't burden the students with lectures every day of the week. I also really liked the fact that they don't have an emphasis on gross anatomy. If you're into PBL, you'll like it too.

Many Idaho residents apply to Utah because they have this program where the state of Idaho pays for part of your tuition. I personally didn't apply but be prepared. They have a very demanding secondary. They ask for 6 letters of recommendation and they have been known to reject people because they didn't volunteer in a hospital all 4 years of undergrad. That being said, I met a lady who was accepted to Utah a few months ago and she was very enthusiastic. She said that the secondary is a pain but she really liked the administration during her interview. Good luck.