2023-2024 Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Missouri - Columbia Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Why are you interested in attending the University of Missouri School of Medicine? (1200 characters)

2. How will you add a unique perspective to the medical school and the practice of medicine? (1200 characters)

3. How will you contribute to an inclusive learning environment at the medical school and the practice of medicine? (2000 characters)

4. Is there anything that was not fully addressed in your application and/or any additional updates since submitting the AMCAS application? (2000 characters)

5. (Re-applicant essay): Since your last application attempt how has your application improved? (3000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Missouri School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all! I’m an M4 at Mizzou Med integrating into Family Medicine. Happy to answer any questions on here to the best of my abilities! I don’t really check my DMs, so just feel free to tag me :)

Hey all! I'm an M4 here at Mizzou Med! Also very happy to answer any questions about Mizzou Med and Columbia in general! I don't check my DMs much either so please tag me!

Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc

Why are you interested in attending the University of Missouri School of Medicine? (1200 characters)

How will you add a unique perspective to the medical school and the practice of medicine? (1200 characters)

How will you contribute to an inclusive learning environment at the medical school and the practice of medicine? (2000 characters)

Is there anything that was not fully addressed in your application and/or any additional updates since submitting the AMCAS application? (2000 characters)

Re-applicant essay: Since your last application attempt how has your application improved? (3000 characters)

@wysdoc

Why are you interested in attending the University of Missouri School of Medicine? (1200 characters)

How will you add a unique perspective to the medical school and the practice of medicine? (1200 characters)

How will you contribute to an inclusive learning environment at the medical school and the practice of medicine? (2000 characters)

Is there anything that was not fully addressed in your application and/or any additional updates since submitting the AMCAS application? (2000 characters)

Re-applicant essay: Since your last application attempt how has your application improved? (3000 characters)

Thanks @cats_and_dogs

@Smolpuppo21 I'm interested in rural primary care and Mizzou Med is my goal program. Currently waiting to hear back about my Bryant Scholars app. How has your experience been, both overall and thru a primary care lens?

Can anyone explain the difference in prompts between 2 and 3? They seem very similar/ related and I was trying to differentiate them better

For OOS applicants, did anyone hear back after submitting the OOS form?

OOS form received 7/19 and submitted 7/20. I will post back here if/when I heard back after the OOS form.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS form received 7/19 and submitted 7/20. I will post back here if/when I heard back after the OOS form.
Sounds good, I'll keep you updated too! I submitted the form a few days ago but I still haven't heard back yet.

Can anyone explain the difference in prompts between 2 and 3? They seem very similar/ related and I was trying to differentiate them better
Having spoken to a current student, the emphasis on PBL in preclinical makes it super important to have a class that meshes well and can work collaboratively to solve problems. I think #3 is meant to sort of assess how you would fare in a group/collaborative setting, so you might draw on specific leadership or team experiences you have had. #2 seems to address diversity in a broader context of medicine in general.

Members don't see this ad :)
Filling out my OOS form and I know I shouldn't be overthinking this so much buttt...does anyone have insight into whether we should be selling ourselves vs. giving info (if that makes sense)? Like should I just say that I lived in STL my whole childhood or go into what kind of impact it had? Should I just say I'm nontrad since I'm 2 years out of college or include why that's advantageous? I know there's an actual secondary so I'm just trying to figure out how deep to get for this

Filling out my OOS form and I know I shouldn't be overthinking this so much buttt...does anyone have insight into whether we should be selling ourselves vs. giving info (if that makes sense)? Like should I just say that I lived in STL my whole childhood or go into what kind of impact it had? Should I just say I'm nontrad since I'm 2 years out of college or include why that's advantageous? I know there's an actual secondary so I'm just trying to figure out how deep to get for this
Since they don't say, I have a hard time seeing how you'd go wrong with either approach. I'd say keep it brief but if you have anything compelling to say, say it. My attitude was this is my chance to get the full secondary so I didn't want to waste it.

anyone have an update since OOS form?
Not here, submitted 7/20.

I got two separate "OOS form received" confirmation emails a week apart. One was an automated response received right away on 7/20. The other email had almost the exactly same content, but I received it 7/26. They said it takes up to 4 weeks to review.

Not here, submitted 7/20.

I got two separate "OOS form received" confirmation emails a week apart. One was an automated response received right away on 7/20. The other email had almost the exactly same content, but I received it 7/26. They said it takes up to 4 weeks to review.

Me too

I was verified 7/24 and still haven't heard any communication regarding a secondary or that my application has been received. Is this an abnormal response time for mizzou or should I just wait a bit longer until I reach out to someone? This is the only school I still have not heard from.

Last edited:
I was verified 7/24 and still haven't heard any communication regarding a secondary or that my application has been received. Is this an abnormal response time for mizzou or should I just wait a bit longer until I reach out to someone? This is the only school I still have not heard from.
I was verified the same day and heard from them yesterday. I have a friend who got her secondary from them 8 days after she was verified. I think this is just their average response time, and hopefully you'll hear in the next couple days

Are you OOS? I am not sure if it is slower for OOS. I am IS, got verified on 7/18 and received the secondary on 7/20. I would not worry though there are some schools that took them 2 weeks to get me the secondary.

Are you OOS? I am not sure if it is slower for OOS. I am IS, got verified on 7/18 and received the secondary on 7/20. I would not worry though there are some schools that took them 2 weeks to get me the secondary.
I am not OOS which is why I though it was kind of strange! Thanks you for the input.

@Smolpuppo21 I'm interested in rural primary care and Mizzou Med is my goal program. Currently waiting to hear back about my Bryant Scholars app. How has your experience been, both overall and thru a primary care lens?

Excellent question! Sending good vibes/thoughts regarding your Bryant Scholars app ❤️

My experience has been nothing but positive, and I’m not just saying that because I’m a student here. If you haven’t realized it by now, Mizzou places a heavy emphasis on primary care throughout your medical education. You’re often exposed to Family Medicine and Pediatric physicians through IPC lectures, PBL sessions, simulations, etc.! We have dedicated clerkship pipelines for rural primary care, including Bryants Scholars and the LINC program. Furthermore, during your Family Med clerkship, you’re required to do half of your rotation at an offsite location; giving you plenty of opportunities to get involved in rural medicine. There’s a Rural Medicine Interest Group that is heavily involved with the student population. We even have a dedicated series of Rural Medicine lectures that are given every so often.

I felt incredibly supported throughout my journey as I tossed around the possibility of integrating here for residency. The faculty and physicians you work with are INTERESTED in teaching, they value your presence, and they seek to give you plentiful opportunities to be thoroughly engaged in patient care. I also feel like the residents/staff here are “real” with you. If there’s something that’s not going well, they’ll happily let you know (which I appreciated). I also found it easy to find mentors that had a more rural practice and often leaned on them to give me a better idea of what rural medicine is like.

When you’re deciding on whether or not to stick to Columbia’s campus for your M3 year, I will caution you that I found minimal success in getting those “rural experiences” outside of my Family Medicine clerkship. I’ve heard those in Springfield had more opportunities to get involved in a rural clinic. But, that’s the only real downside imho.

Excellent question! Sending good vibes/thoughts regarding your Bryant Scholars app ❤️

My experience has been nothing but positive, and I’m not just saying that because I’m a student here. If you haven’t realized it by now, Mizzou places a heavy emphasis on primary care throughout your medical education. You’re often exposed to Family Medicine and Pediatric physicians through IPC lectures, PBL sessions, simulations, etc.! We have dedicated clerkship pipelines for rural primary care, including Bryants Scholars and the LINC program. Furthermore, during your Family Med clerkship, you’re required to do half of your rotation at an offsite location; giving you plenty of opportunities to get involved in rural medicine. There’s a Rural Medicine Interest Group that is heavily involved with the student population. We even have a dedicated series of Rural Medicine lectures that are given every so often.

I felt incredibly supported throughout my journey as I tossed around the possibility of integrating here for residency. The faculty and physicians you work with are INTERESTED in teaching, they value your presence, and they seek to give you plentiful opportunities to be thoroughly engaged in patient care. I also feel like the residents/staff here are “real” with you. If there’s something that’s not going well, they’ll happily let you know (which I appreciated). I also found it easy to find mentors that had a more rural practice and often leaned on them to give me a better idea of what rural medicine is like.

When you’re deciding on whether or not to stick to Columbia’s campus for your M3 year, I will caution you that I found minimal success in getting those “rural experiences” outside of my Family Medicine clerkship. I’ve heard those in Springfield had more opportunities to get involved in a rural clinic. But, that’s the only real downside imho.
Thank you for such a comprehensive response, I really appreciate it. Glad to hear you've had such a positive experience, especially regarding physicians taking an interest in teaching; you hear stories from students sometimes who had physicians that clearly didn't care about teaching one bit so I'm glad to hear that wasn't really anything you encountered. If I may ask, how research-focused would you say Mizzou is, in your experience? Ik most schools are shifting towards more research-focused applicants, but I go to a smaller school with very little research/lab opportunities and pivoted to pre-med my junior year, so I won't likely have a research-heavy app. If you don't know that's fine too!

Nobody OOS has heard back after submitting the OOS form, right? It's been only 3 weeks since I submitted mine, and they specified it can take up to 4 weeks, so I'm not getting worried but I am curious if anyone knows about turnaround time.

Still radio silence from the admissions committee. I guess we'll hear back from them next week then?

Reactions: 1 users
Welp still nothing yet. Hopefully I didn't get screened out LOL

Welp still nothing yet. Hopefully I didn't get screened out LOL
Was just thinking that lol. However I’ve noticed that right when I start to worry/freak out in this application process, that’s right when things start moving. So here’s hoping we’ll get OOS forms in a week or so!

It's been 4 weeks since my OOS form and no secondary! Wondering if anyone got any this week...

Just called their office, it looks like OOS form decisions will be sent out soon!

• Love
Just called their office, it looks like OOS form decisions will be sent out soon!
Thank you for sharing this information! Do you know how soon is “soon”? No worries if not, just wondering if like tomorrow vs within the next 2 weeks

I just got the OOS approval - secondary application incoming!

Reactions: 1 users
Dang got the OOS R prior to secondaries. I thought going to college in Missouri would be a big enough connection but apparently not...

• Sad
Kind of interesting how they assess these kinds of things…I mostly just talked about friends in CoMo and they sent the form?

How long between completing the OOS form and receiving the secondary?

Still haven’t received an OOS state form yet, maybe I should just give up hope 🥲

What's the preferred acronym for Mizzou that I should use in my secondaries? Mizzou is what I find myself wanting to use, MU Med and Mizzou Med are what they use in their own emails. I feel strange using MU because it's the University of Missouri and not Missouri University.