University of New England Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi All,

Just wanted to start the thread for UNE. Has anybody interviewed yet for this school? If so, could you let me know what the interview and the school was like? I got an interview for January 28th, 2011, so I am debating whether to go or not.

The school was nice. The Dean was very funny. They gave us a free breakfast and a lunch ticket (lunch is 5 bucks for everything that you can eat and drink, pretty neat). The interview was actually very relaxing. It felt more like a conversation. They wanted to get to know you more, since according to Dr. Curt there were 700 applications, they picked 200 for interviews and accept 100. So if you have an interview it's 50/50.
Keep in mind though, they won't have accreditation till 2013. They did appreciate students who were willing to fly over to Maine for the interview, so if you actually go to the interview, your chances are looking pretty good.
Also check the other thread search for UNE 2015. that one has more comments. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey. Did you just go the interview last week? I was there too! Did you hear from them yet? One of the applicants at my table just texted me that she got her acceptance today in her email:)

Hey. Did you just go the interview last week? I was there too! Did you hear from them yet? One of the applicants at my table just texted me that she got her acceptance today in her email:)
Yup I was the Asian guy from Southern CA sitting in the corner of the big table away from the door. Where did you sit? I got so anxious and emailed Isaac, and he sent me my acceptance letter via email and said that my letter is on its way through regular mail. I hope everyone would get in!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
They are not really good with email. you should email Isaac tomorrow and ask, cuz last time they didn't send me any interview invite via email. I knew I got an interview thanks to the letter through the mail. :xf::luck: Crossing fingers for you!

Haha, thanks so much!
I'll e-mail him tomorrow morning.

And, too bad I didn't get to meet you!! Btw, CONGRATS!! :) Are you planning on going to UNE?

And I was a Filipino girl sitting at the table closest to the door. I'm one of the SoCal people that flew over to maine too! haha..

anyway, oh my gosh. I'm so anxious!!!!! >__<

Yes. According to Isaac I got accepted!!!! Wowhoo. If I can get in everyone can get in, cuz my GPA is super low. Good luck on your upcoming interviews!

My GPA too... which is why when I got the email I was very surprised. I can't wait! haha so I take it you're from Southern California?? I'm in San Diego :)

And I was a Filipino girl sitting at the table closest to the door. I'm one of the SoCal people that flew over to maine too! haha..

I am 80% sure that I will go to UNE, I was waitlisted for Sullivan, 3 years, so if I get pulled (more than likely I wont), i'll go there instead. I am also waiting for an interview with Denver CO, it's pretty cheap over there. SO I will be putting down my deposit for the time being. The Dean seems to like people from CA. Hope we can all get in.

How long was the interview? What kind of questions do they ask? I'm super nervous cause I'm gonna be there for jan 28th interview.

Oo! I'm from SD too :) Good luck with your interview jkong :)

I was surprised to get accepted b/c my gpa is low too.

So??? What did Isaac say? He's pretty fast on emailing. :xf:

Oo! I'm from SD too :) Good luck with your interview jkong :)

I was surprised to get accepted b/c my gpa is low too.
YAY! Congrats. Wait did you know that there was a Vietnamese girl named Quyen from SD? She was at my table.

My GPA too... which is why when I got the email I was very surprised. I can't wait! haha so I take it you're from Southern California?? I'm in San Diego :)
The Dean seems to like people from CA. SO yes, good luck. you'll do fine!:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
How long was the interview? What kind of questions do they ask? I'm super nervous cause I'm gonna be there for jan 28th interview.
The interview was really relaxing actually. You have nothing to worry about, but make sure you check the feedbacks for this school. Questions were the regular why pharm? why UNE? The rest was more like a conversation!

congrats for those who have been accepted by UNE. I Just applied to UNE tonight because I heard good things about it from another applicant at another pharmacy school so i thought i'd at least give it a shot. fingers crossed. :xf:
there is my application status out of all the 3 year accelerated programs i applied to:

South University-Savannah-interview 11/5-DEFERRED UNTIL MARCH :( but:xf:
University of Maryland Eastern shore-interview 11/18-ACCEPTED 12/06/2010:):laugh:
Sullivan University-still waiting
Pacific university in oregon-INTERVIEW 01/08-declined interview
LECOM-ERIE-INTERVIEW 01/18:xf:
MCPHS-Worcester-hold until fall grades
Appalachian College of pharmacy-application submitted 12/15/2010

MY APPLICATION STATUS OUT OF ALL THE TRADITIONAL 4 YEAR PROGRAMS I APPLIED to:

Western New England College of pharmacy-interview 12/03:xf:
University of New England-application submitted 12/18/2010
Husson University-application submitted 12/18/2010
Presbyterian College-still waiting
University of Oklahoma-still waiting
Nova-still waiting
Mercer-still waiting
Long Island University-still waiting
Lipscomb-still waiting
Belmont-interview 01/28/2011-declined interview

Yaaah! I remember meeting Quyen when everyone was waiting for their rides after the interview.

Hi guys!

I finally gave in and joined. :) It was nice meeting all of you at the interview on Dec 10. By the way, this is Quyen. When did you guys hear back from UNE? I still haven't received anything yet and was wondering if I should contact them about the status of my application. I'm getting antsy waiting...

Hi guys!

I finally gave in and joined. :) It was nice meeting all of you at the interview on Dec 10. By the way, this is Quyen. When did you guys hear back from UNE? I still haven't received anything yet and was wondering if I should contact them about the status of my application. I'm getting antsy waiting...
Oh Quyen, I guess you have way more patience than I do, cuz I got so frustrated and emailed Isaac last Thursday, lol. He said they already mailed out the acceptance via regular mail (which I received last Saturday). However, they are not really sufficient with emailing people. I think you should email him. He was nice enough to attach with his emails the acceptance letter. P.S I am the right sitting on the opposite side as yours! Good luck :luck::xf:

Last edited:
Oh Quyen, I guess you have way more patience than I do, cuz I got so frustrated and emailed Isaac last Thursday, lol. He said they already mailed out the acceptance via regular mail (which I received last Saturday). However, they are not really sufficient with emailing people. I think you should email him. He was nice enough to attach with his emails the acceptance letter. P.S I am the right sitting on the opposite side as yours! Good luck :luck::xf:
Yea, I was about to email them last Friday because I was getting impatient. But then I decided to wait a couple more days. But I checked the mail earlier and got the acceptance letter! I'm so excited! I'm pretty sure I remember who you are. Congratulations to you for getting accepted!

hey guys,
i just got my acceptance letter for UNC (i interviewed on 12/10 too)...Who plans to attend here?:)

Yea, I was about to email them last Friday because I was getting impatient. But then I decided to wait a couple more days. But I checked the mail earlier and got the acceptance letter! I'm so excited! I'm pretty sure I remember who you are. Congratulations to you for getting accepted!
It seems like everyone got accepted. Are you planning to attend? I am still waiting for Colorado Denver's interview. More than likely I'll go for Maine. Putting down my deposit soon. Now we can all enjoy our holidays in peace and wait for school to start. :thumbup:

It seems like everyone got accepted. Are you planning to attend? I am still waiting for Colorado Denver's interview. More than likely I'll go for Maine. Putting down my deposit soon. Now we can all enjoy our holidays in peace and wait for school to start. :thumbup:
At least we have a back up school if anything. I'm still waiting for a response from my interview at another school. Both are on the east coast, but I'm more likely going to attend UNE. I'll probably send my deposit soon too. Happy Holidays! Time to relax! :)

Anyone think the tuition is a little on the high side? The fees listed on the papers i got are as follows.

Tuition $30,990
Program Fee $1,500
General Service Fee $520
Malpractice Insurance $75
UNE Health Insurance $3,200
Total Direct Charges $36,285

It also mentions that "students are required to purchase a laptop computer. A one-time technology allowance of $2,000 is included in the 1st year cost of attendance." So I suppose we can deduct $2,000 from that total if we bring our own laptops, right? We also have to pay a $2,000 deposit to secure our seat! This is ridiculous.

To be honest, I don't mind the tuition for Maine. Everywhere is cheaper than CA schools. Husson in the North of Maine is $773 per units which is around 29,000 a year (pretty close). Laptop is pretty much required for every pharm schools now. I think the technology fee is for using the library, internet, free printing on site, and all the researching you do in the library. I don't think it has anything to do with your laptop!
Happy Holidays everybody
And good luck to everyone interviewing in Jan.

Last edited:
I am 80% sure that I will go to UNE, I was waitlisted for Sullivan, 3 years, so if I get pulled (more than likely I wont), i'll go there instead. I am also waiting for an interview with Denver CO, it's pretty cheap over there. SO I will be putting down my deposit for the time being. The Dean seems to like people from CA. Hope we can all get in.

UNE is actually cheaper than Colorado. Or you mean cheaper than Cali schools?Resident of Colorado: $19,542
Nonresident
: $32,676

So I now have offers from both Husson and UNE. I have to send in deposits within 2 weeks for both schools. what do you think? Husson or UNE? Husson is about $5000 cheaper. UNE is in a bigger city which means better clinical sites and perhaps jobs for students. please advise.

So i have a decision to make. I got accepted to both Husson and UNE. Which is a better choice? Please help.

I didn't apply for Husson, so I don't know what it's like. I thought Husson opened a year ahead of UNE right? It means that they would get accreditation before UNE. I would look at the two schools' curriculum. UNE has an alternative medication rotation site and I'd love to know more about alternative med. Job market wise, it would be easier to get jobs (after graduation or for students) in the North right, cuz I heard they desperately need pharmacists/pharm students. Imagine yourself in both campuses to see which one is more attractive to you. Tuition wise, you have to make a loan anyway, so it could be a little bit less of your concern.

UNE is actually cheaper than Colorado. Or you mean cheaper than Cali schools?Resident of Colorado: $19,542
Nonresident
: $32,676
That's true. But after one year studying there, you can apply for residency. I don't know about UNE. Since it's a private school and all, residency or not won't make a big difference. Therefore, basically you can save 30 grands.

Thanks SouCal10,
Both schools started the same year. Husson is a much smaller school. It has a community college feel to it. Husson also has no research, they are more focused on retail.

Thanks SouCal10,
Both schools started the same year. Husson is a much smaller school. It has a community college feel to it. Husson also has no research, they are more focused on retail.
Did you apply anywhere else? I only heard about Husson from my friend, no idea what the school or their program are like. UNE puts way too much effort into researching. The weird thing is that their research is not really drugs related?? I applied for Sullivan and got waitlisted, but their program is pretty cool: they have a department of nanotechnology, but the pharm program is covered entirely in a building. Hawaii bases their research on marine species and how they can help with cancers plus holistic treatments of the native, it's pretty cool too. If you like research, those schools could be good choices. They are not accredited till 2011, so it's not too late to apply, since it's a little less competitive.

Did you apply anywhere else? .

I also applied to Buffalo but nothing yet, since I just recently applied. I am a bit nervous about attending a 3 year program since its accelerated. Will you go to Sullivan if accepted there?

I also applied to Buffalo but nothing yet, since I just recently applied. I am a bit nervous about attending a 3 year program since its accelerated. Will you go to Sullivan if accepted there?
I would yes, cuz my friend is a P1 there now. They say it's accelerated to scare people lol, cuz what you do is just to study during summers. That will make up for the 3 years time. I won't get in Sullivan, since I just got an email this morning saying that they would consider me for class of 2015 (which is next year admission) and keep my file active, and of course I said no thank you. haha. However, yes I would choose Sullivan over UNE, just because it's 3 years. I want to get out as fast as I can.

Hi guys, I just got a interview for UNE :). The tuition is around 30,000 a year right?
Congrats, when is your interview?
General Services Fee (annual)$520
Tuition (Academic year)$30,990
Pharmacy Program Fee (annual)$1,500
Malpractice Insurance Fee$35
and Insurance $3200

Congrats, when is your interview?
General Services Fee (annual)$520
Tuition (Academic year)$30,990
Pharmacy Program Fee (annual)$1,500
Malpractice Insurance Fee$35
and Insurance $3200
"Estimated number accepted: 150
• Estimated number interviewed for fall 2010 Entering Class:
200"
Taken from Pharmcas

Wont that make the chances 75% o.o?
oh, it's feb 18 for me ^^"".

Last edited:
"Estimated number accepted: 150
• Estimated number interviewed for fall 2010 Entering Class:
200"
Taken from Pharmcas

Wont that make the chances 75% o.o?
oh, it's feb 18 for me ^^"".
According to them: 700 applications this year, 200 interviewed, and they'll take 100. So it's a little bit more than 50%, cuz there are some people not showing up for the interview. They have another threat for this school too. I think out of the people who interviewed in Dec. (25 students showed up), around 20 got accepted. So your chance is very high. Good luck. :luck:
Une c/o 2015 | Pre-Pharmacy | Student Doctor Network

Hey,
Are there any writing exercises at the interview?

Hey,
Are there any writing exercises at the interview?

Yes. There is a 30 minute essay that's graded by the writing center.

Last edited:
i got the march 4th interview with university of new England. anyone else?

Looks like I am 100% going to Maine. I just created a facebook page for class of 2015. Please feel free to join, and need someone to improve it, since I am not really good at using facebook!
search for: UNE Pharm.D Class of 2015

Good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews!!!

Hi Soukol10, I thought UNE was accredited in fall 2009. Thats what it said on the website.

Hi guys, I will be ordering my tickets around monday. First thing first, do you know if the taxis run around 7 in the morning? because my interview is around 8:15 in the morning around feb 18th.

Does anyone esle have a interview that day? and how much does it count for the taxi to get from the airport to the college?

Where are you from nycrxdream? When did you submit your application? My interview is later.

Hi guys, I will be ordering my tickets around monday. First thing first, do you know if the taxis run around 7 in the morning? because my interview is around 8:15 in the morning around feb 18th.

Does anyone esle have a interview that day? and how much does it count for the taxi to get from the airport to the college?

Hi Soukol10, I thought UNE was accredited in fall 2009. Thats what it said on the website.
Haha, no, they won't get accredited till 2013. You should consider carefully if you thought it's an accredited program then.
I arrived at Portland airport at around 11 pm, and there were 4 taxis waiting outside, so I think there should be taxi running at 7 am. I rented a car for 2 days and it ended up costing me $160 :((. On the plus side, I was able to go around town afterward.

Haha, no, they won't get accredited till 2013. You should consider carefully if you thought it's an accredited program then.
I arrived at Portland airport at around 11 pm, and there were 4 taxis waiting outside, so I think there should be taxi running at 7 am. I rented a car for 2 days and it ended up costing me $160 :((. On the plus side, I was able to go around town afterward.
thanks! :thumbup: Im going to give them a call on monday, and get the phone number of the taxi. Because I might be going out from my hotel around 7