University of Oklahoma 2008 - GO SOONERS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh yeah, I'm real nervous. I think my brain has turned into a worthless pile of mush over the summer due to lack of use. I was trying to remember stuff from anatomy and histology and couldn't remember anything. I hope that I can get geared up for the semester when I start. I start to school on Moinday because of the geriatrics thing. Yesterday, I helped Wordup move into University Village. We're good to go (except our textbooks, of course).

OUdoc, when are you moving? Also, how are you going about getting your books? I won't have any bling until the 16th when financial aid distribution happens. I was think about ordering from half.com or amazon. See you guys soon.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm moving to Univ. Village Mon. Aug. 9th. I have a bunch of review books (BRS, 1st aid) etc. that I bought off Amazon, but as far as "required" textbooks, I think I'm going to buy the course syllabi and then see how much I really need those texts. I've read on here that "required" = "recommended", and that alot of people regretted buying alot of text as there simply isn't enough time to read more than class notes and review books. Many say that texts are a last resort if something needs a little more clarification, and even then that since that info is likely available onlne or in the library, that the texts aren't worth the money. But we'll see. Anyway, since we don't get paid 'til the 16th, they surely can't expect us to buy everything before that. Then what we need I'll probably mostly get them off Amazon. As far as the anatomy atlases, even though we only have to get either Grants, Netters or Rohen, I've posted about it in the allo forum and have come to the conclusion that I'll probably end up getting Netters and Rohen, as well as Moore's. (Though I'll probably go to the bookstore and look through them all first to see if it fits my study style). BTW, have you heard what people wear to anatomy lab? Street clothes w/ lab jacket vs. scrubs/labjacket?

Other than that, I'm just counting down the days with nervous anticipation. Doing a little beer consumption tonight with wife and friends, keeping my kids for 4 more days, and then spending 4 w/ the family in Missouri at a big family reunion. Then it's off to the city.
Do you and wordup know anybody else on the class list besides each other? I know one girl that went to NSU, but other than that, it is all new faces.

oudoc08 said:
I'm moving to Univ. Village Mon. Aug. 9th. I have a bunch of review books (BRS, 1st aid) etc. that I bought off Amazon, but as far as "required" textbooks, I think I'm going to buy the course syllabi and then see how much I really need those texts. I've read on here that "required" = "recommended", and that alot of people regretted buying alot of text as there simply isn't enough time to read more than class notes and review books. Many say that texts are a last resort if something needs a little more clarification, and even then that since that info is likely available onlne or in the library, that the texts aren't worth the money. But we'll see. Anyway, since we don't get paid 'til the 16th, they surely can't expect us to buy everything before that. Then what we need I'll probably mostly get them off Amazon. As far as the anatomy atlases, even though we only have to get either Grants, Netters or Rohen, I've posted about it in the allo forum and have come to the conclusion that I'll probably end up getting Netters and Rohen, as well as Moore's. (Though I'll probably go to the bookstore and look through them all first to see if it fits my study style). BTW, have you heard what people wear to anatomy lab? Street clothes w/ lab jacket vs. scrubs/labjacket?

Other than that, I'm just counting down the days with nervous anticipation. Doing a little beer consumption tonight with wife and friends, keeping my kids for 4 more days, and then spending 4 w/ the family in Missouri at a big family reunion. Then it's off to the city.
Do you and wordup know anybody else on the class list besides each other? I know one girl that went to NSU, but other than that, it is all new faces.

I've heard the same thing about the text books. I think that our mentors will be able to tell us about which ones we should use. Oddly enough, I went to high school my freshman and sophomore year with my mentor. Have's seen him or talked to him in about 6 year. It was a very weird coincidence since there were only about 20 people to a class at that school. I worked with one girl who will be there last summer in the SURE program. She graduated from Arkansas. There was also another guy that I met last summer. There were about 30 or 40 of our classmates at the BLS class. Everyone seemed really nice and cool about everything even though they were nervous. I think that this is going to be great. I let you know how the geriatrics thing goes tomorrow. Enjoy your time with your family.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to hear about the geriatrics program, and how well it goes for you. Wanted to do it, but am expected at this family reunion which has been in the works now for about a year.
Anyway, if I can just shake this nervous, sickly feeling in my gut, I think it will all be great. (But, I'm sure I'm the only one feeling like this, right) :)

I'll email my mentor and ask about the textbooks. If you hear anything else, please let me know.

oudoc08 said:
I'd like to hear about the geriatrics program, and how well it goes for you. Wanted to do it, but am expected at this family reunion which has been in the works now for about a year.
Anyway, if I can just shake this nervous, sickly feeling in my gut, I think it will all be great. (But, I'm sure I'm the only one feeling like this, right) :)

I'll email my mentor and ask about the textbooks. If you hear anything else, please let me know.

I feel the same way now to an extent, but a year ago my wife and I spent two months living three hours apart so I could do some research here at OU. I felt sick to my stomach when I left before that move and very nervous. I imagine that we'll all feel better once classes have been going for a couple of weeks and things become more routine for us. Let you know how it went when I get home this evening.

Here's a excerpt from an email I received from my student mentor concerning textbooks:

The only two books that you wont be able to live with out for that first semester are Gross Anatomy by Chung and some sort of anatomy atlas. If you haven't heard yet, Dr. Chung is the course director for anatomy and almost every question will come out of his book even though it may not be on the book list. The book is small and is in the class of "Board Review Series" but it will be your bible. If you know every single fact in the book, you'll do great! As for the atlas, I liked the Netter's much better because the pictures were nicer and it was easier to see everything. Moore's atlas may have showed a little more detail but was harder to learn from. I never used a Rohen. To absolutely crush the class, I would learn everything the first time from the Netter atlas and then go back and look at it in Moore's. But if you are only going to buy one, I would suggest Netter's. I have a couple more tips for anatomy if your interested, but I wont bother typing them now.
For biochemistry, I used my college text to review a few of the things I forgot and then never touched any of the other texts. Unfortunately, you wont find just one book that covers everything that you will go over in class, and some things that you'll learn wont be covered well in any book. The syllabus should almost always be sufficient. If you feel like you need to buy one of them, I would suggest you but the Biochemistry version of the Oklahoma Notes. The various sections in it were written by many of the same professors that you will have and are therefore written in the same format that it will be presented.
For embryology, I would recommend "The Developing Human" by Moore and Persaud. I thought it was written pretty well. Some people last year were told by their mentors not to buy an embryo book but then we got a new professor who always took some questions directly out of the book (on subjects never talked about in class or in her syllabus).
You might be required to buy Mosby's Guide to Physical Examination for PCM which will be a new requirement for the class. It's a big and expensive book but a great one to have for just about anything. You'll need it later in practice so you might as well get it now.

Hey guys whats up? I just got moved into the apartments and theyre pretty nice. The neighborhood is kinda scary though. OUdoc when are you moving in.

Moving in Mon. Aug. 9th. B-4

I just arrived at home after my second day of the geriatrics rotation thing. I've had a very good time so far. All of the other students seem to be very friendly, competent people. Although, a couple of their political beliefs clash with my own. I've been suprisingly impressed thus far. All of the faculty and physicians have been extremely nice and take the time to explain everthing in detail to the patients and to the students. The doc that I was paired with yesterday (a geriatric nuerologist) even came by after the afternoon session to let me know about a couple of the interesting cases that I saw with her yesterday. Today we learned about theories of aging and how to take a history of an elderly patient. Both were very informative and, suprisingly, I learned a lot. This experience has deifinately helped me calm my nerves about starting school. I'm sure that more work will be involved, but I feel very comfortable with the experience to this point. One suprising aspect of the geriatric department is the amount of time that the docs are allowing to see each patient. They generally spend a full hour with a new patient and about thirty minutes with a returning. I just couldn't get over the level of thoroughness that each patient received. I definately never saw anything like that with wordup and my own experiences with the family med clinic. I'll try to keep you posted on how things continue. Another intersting tidbit-OU's geriatric department is one of only six in the nation.

Btw, thanks OUdoc for the stuff about the textbooks. A couple of the students that I'm in this thing with have already bought all of the books. Glad I'm not one of them. :D

Ad
Sounds like a pretty neat experience. I hope that level of involvement between faculty and student continues into MS1. I can't believe they're spending that much time w/ each patient. That's awesome. Too bad reimbursement at this point doesn't allow for that in the private sector.

Moving tomorrow. Ad, how'd the rest of the geri week go?

Which apartment are you moving to? I'll try to stop by and say howdy this afternoon.

Just got all moved in. Will probably be out most of the evening (grocery shopping, etc.), but I'll be here later tonight and tomorrow. Stop by if you get a chance.
I'm in B-4.
Tony

Well, our orientation is over after tomorrow. We've gotten to do some neat stuff so far, and tomorrow is our white coat ceremony.

Class starts Monday, so as the original poster to this thread, I hereby move to call this it officially dead.

To the future members of the OU Medicine Class of 2009, I wish all of you good luck and well wishes. Work hard, smoke those interviews and I hope to see you at the orientation next August.

If the first person accepted in December will start a Univ. of Oklahoma College of Medicine Class of 2009 thread, I and others will try to help you out any way we can.

Thanks.