University of South Florida USF Masters in Medical Science MSMS 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure USF has reported percentages of such. I know samples of the kind of people who've been accepted out of USF MS programs in the past but many of them had a 3.4 and above ugrad (many of them from UF ugrad). They also had at least a 28 or 29 on the MCAT. Then they did well in grad school.

I also have to caution you that USF MSMS programs being used as postbacs really only came about in 2005-2006 or 2006-2007.

IMS was started in 05 and following year Molecular Medicine was revamped as a postbac MS program. That was the year anatomy MS also started becoming popular for such. Prior to that these programs were used as research track programs. Once again, they've made anatomy and molecular med as research tracks.

But the creation of the new medical sciences curriculum was started first as an online masters in 08-09 and now has been revamped as the premed track program at USF Health.

So these programs don't have concrete data of success rates in the way of BU and Gtown and other schools because the curriculum and way the program has been run is changing all the time. This seems to be a theme at USF Health. Their med curriculum also changes way too often. But at least in this case of the postbac, the changes are positive changes and I think ncessary changes to make a program that is similar in nature to BU or Tufts programs.

Thanks GujuDoc.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I got my acceptance email today! Pre-Professional track, can't wait to start!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'm really interested in USF's one year medical science master's program. From what I've heard and read, it is just what I'm looking for. I really want to go to matriculate into their COM after I complete the program (if I get in), and was wondering if anyone knows if is any unofficial linkage to the college of medicine and if it improves your chances over attending other programs. My undergrad GPA is pretty low right now and I'm retaking my MCAT, but ideally I excel in this program. Any info would help.

Thanks!

Hey guys!
I have decided on the MSMS program and I was wondering if anyone is still looking for a roommate. I am from NJ so unfortunately I wont be able to meet anyone down in Florida until the program starts. I am a 22 year old female and I am very nice! Let me know!

To anyone who might know... when I check my application status for USF's medical science program online, it says "current application status: Admitted"

Does this mean that I'm admitted into the program or simply my application has been received and is under review...? :confused::xf:

Have you received a formal acceptance in the mail? That and an e-mail from Katy is how I knew I was accepted.You can also try checking OASIS. Look at your student standing to see if it classifies you as a Master's student. If not, then I suggest you e-mail Katy Carson tomorrow because she is a big help.

Did anyone applied around may 27/8th and has heard back from admissions? thanks. I applied the 27th so I was just wondering when I was going to hear back. I already email Katie but I wanted some input from my fellow future classmates :xf:

Did anyone applied around may 27/8th and has heard back from admissions? thanks. I applied the 27th so I was just wondering when I was going to hear back. I already email Katie but I wanted some input from my fellow future classmates :xf:

I applied around or before then and I have not heard back from admissions either. Hope we find out soon!

Submitted June 3rd, accepted today. also accepted off a med school WL today.

what a day.

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted June 3rd, accepted today. also accepted off a med school WL today.

what a day.

Congrats on Med School! I'm assuming you'll take med school over masters?

also if you don't mind me asking what are your stats. Thanks.

Well looks like I will be attending USF in August for the MSMS program. I will be coming from UNCW and am looking for roommates so if anyone is interested please let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well looks like I will be attending USF in August for the MSMS program. I will be coming from UNCW and am looking for roommates so if anyone is interested please let me know!

congrats! when did you apply if you dont mind me asking...thanks

I got everything in by June 1 and found out yesterday...I used interfolio though

Got accepted today:laugh:! I'll see everyone in august!

i still havent heard from usf regarding the program. has anyone found out over the phone or is it by email. concerned

i still havent heard from usf regarding the program. has anyone found out over the phone or is it by email. concerned

You should email Katie Carson and she should be able to help you.

I am in the same boat! I turned in my application on June 2nd because I had to take my gre's but I haven't heard back yet and I am freaking out! I called and she said that it might be a week more because my application is still in review, but my friend checked and said there are still about 155 spots in the classes.. which means that a majority of the students didn't register for classes yet or some students declined. You should call because it seems like katie is not replying to many emails right now. Let's hope for the best! :)

I am in the same boat! I turned in my application on June 2nd because I had to take my gre's but I haven't heard back yet and I am freaking out! I called and she said that it might be a week more because my application is still in review, but my friend checked and said there are still about 155 spots in the classes.. which means that a majority of the students didn't register for classes yet or some students declined. You should call because it seems like katie is not replying to many emails right now. Let's hope for the best! :)

When I first registered for classes on the day that registration opened it showed about 220 open seats - it's now showing about 136. I wouldn't base enrollment on those numbers, however, as I'm sure many have not yet registered. All students have to be cleared for immunizations before they can register, so I'm sure that's causing a hold up in registration. IMO

I was originally told it would take 3 weeks for review of applications, but mine took a few weeks longer, and that was back in February. I've heard they've recently been inundated with applications - so try not to worry!:)

Good luck!!

I was just recently accepted into the USF 1 year MSMS program. However, I am trying to decide between this program and two others: Drexel's MSP Program and UPenn's Post-Bac Specialized Studies and I am not sure which one to pick. The USF one looks good, heavy medical sciences for sure and I like the MCAT prep as well (although Drexel has heavy MCAT also) but I noticed that the Princeton MCAT course for the USF Program is only in Fall or Summer (summer would be too late for me since it would be after the June application timeline). So I guess I would have to do some work on my own during summer. Still trying to decide which way to go....or to just skip out on the 1 year programs and do a full 2 year MS with GRE and all.
My Stats: GPA- 3.3 MCAT- 24
NC Resident

I'm still waiting to hear back from Drexel IMS, but I was accepted to USF MSMS program back on 6/17. I think I sent in my stuff around the 6th of June -- they're pretty lenient. Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll be attending in Fall. I'm kind of leaning towards Drexel -- check out their new 2010 and 2011-2012 threads to form your own opinion I suppose, but it seems like a lot of the negative reviews came out back around 3-4 yrs ago in some of the older threads. Either way, one of the main complaints which Guju has said, which makes me a bit hesitant is the face-time with prof.'s, but a lot of people have said that when they asked the admins if IMS students were allowed to make use of a Prof.'s office hours, they said "yes". I guess the students would have to just commute to the other campus to make use of this (How far, I don't know), which I guess could be a pain if it's far. With USF MSMS, since you're taking classes there at the COM, it sounds easier to form those relationships with a prof. for a LOR or w/e. But on the other hand, at Drexel, you take actual Medical School courses and are graded on that curve. That makes it quite attractive in my opinion.

I'm torn. Anyway, what's the verdict on skipping out on a 3.0ish undergrad GPA (with a strong upward trend) for a grad GPA through a masters or SMP? Better idea than doing post-bacc?

It seems a lot of people are having a tough time deciding between the Drexel and USF program. USF MSMS is a good program. However, it is a fairly new program and has not gained much recognition. It's also not considered an SMP. Drexel and UPenn, however, are considered true Special Master's Program. They are more reputable and if you do well, it will definitely make you a more competitive applicant. I think the choice is obvious...

So I know its only a couple of months away, but I still haven't been able to find a place to live. Only place that's furnished and looks somewhat descent that I've come across is The Province. Can anyone offer an opinion on where to stay, or of someone's still looking for a roommate please let me know. I'm a 25yr Male.... Also accepted to the Pre-Professional track. Looking forward to studying alongside you all. Thanks!

-Alex

So I know its only a couple of months away, but I still haven't been able to find a place to live. Only place that's furnished and looks somewhat descent that I've come across is The Province. Can anyone offer an opinion on where to stay, or of someone's still looking for a roommate please let me know. I'm a 25yr Male.... Also accepted to the Pre-Professional track. Looking forward to studying alongside you all. Thanks!

-Alex

I lived in the Province this past year and while it's a nice apartment it is undergrad party central...if you get one of the cottages it's less of an effect but I found myself having to leave the apartment lots to study late night because of parties going on all around me, since their schedule doesn't match up with the graduate schedules necessarily.

You should hear back within the next 2 weeks. When I applied last year it took about a month.

And I think this past week has been summer break between A/B, so that could be why you aren't able to correspond with any of the Admin personnel at the moment.

Good luck!

:D Thank you gujuDoc!!!

I heard from a pharmacology classmate that you got into medical school! CONGRATS!!! Where will your journey be taking you for the next 4+ years?

AnthroMD,

Hi I remember you from last year's thread about the USF MS program and I wanted to say good luck to you as you apply to medical schools this year. I wish you all the best. GOOD LUCK!!! I am rooting for you.

I don't think you would know him, he just read one of your posts.

Good luck to the both of you! Represent USF MSMS grads everywhere :D

a pharmacology classmate? Do I know this person or they just read my posts?

Wayne state to answer ur question. Its in Detroit. I think someone who did molecular med in 2009-2010 will be joining me too from what I understand.

Hello everyone. So I'm excited to start in August. I'm not sure how many people have posted similar threads but I'm looking for roommates. I've lived in Tampa for years now so I know the area well. I can offer any help or suggestions for those who come from other places and have questions. Just pm me. I plan on focusing my time on studying and I'm organized. So pm me If you are still looking for a roommate or if you have any questions.

sup y'all

I literally got accepted a few hours ago by email. I called Kathyrn Carson to confirm.

how many students are accepted?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm new to the SDN! I'm interested in the masters of medical science program at USF and was wondering when did you guys apply and what are some of your stats for acceptances if you don't mind. I'm applying for the fall of 2012. I have all of my information ready already though.

Thanks!:)

I was accepted with a 24P. Retook a month before I started and got a 29 so I am rolling with that right now. Great program though, definitely using my MS degree already.

They have since changed the curriculum, so I am not sure what effects if any have translated to the admissions process.

Good luck! :luck:

Hey guys,

I'm new to the SDN! I'm interested in the masters of medical science program at USF and was wondering when did you guys apply and what are some of your stats for acceptances if you don't mind. I'm applying for the fall of 2012. I have all of my information ready already though.

Thanks!:)

I am currently in this program AND HATE IT! Nothing is organized, the professors couldn't care less about you, no open-door policy...everything is bad! Although I've managed to pull a 3.8 in the first semester, it was through studying every second of every day and trying to think about how the professors could trick me. The professors exams are ridiculous. It is an ongoing joke in our program that the professors come into class and say "1+1=2" and then the exam says "You have four apples and gave one away, what is the diameter of the sun?" It really is horrible!!!

:annoyed:

I am currently in this program AND HATE IT! Nothing is organized, the professors couldn't care less about you, no open-door policy...everything is bad! Although I've managed to pull a 3.8 in the first semester, it was through studying every second of every day and trying to think about how the professors could trick me. The professors exams are ridiculous. It is an ongoing joke in our program that the professors come into class and say "1+1=2" and then the exam says "You have four apples and gave one away, what is the diameter of the sun?" It really is horrible!!!

I'm concerned now. I received an unofficial acceptance from Katie via email yesterday and up until I read this post, I was really excited.

Are you taking the medical masters pre-professional track?

If so, would you mind listing pro's vs con's of the program and what you would rate the program based on how you feel it prepared you for pre-professional schools?
If you don't feel comfortable sharing all the con's on here publicly, feel free to PM me.

I'm concerned now. I received an unofficial acceptance from Katie via email yesterday and up until I read this post, I was really excited.

Are you taking the medical masters pre-professional track?

If so, would you mind listing pro's vs con's of the program and what you would rate the program based on how you feel it prepared you for pre-professional schools?
If you don't feel comfortable sharing all the con's on here publicly, feel free to PM me.

Ok I don't know what this person is talking about. I am in the program and also have a 3.8 gpa and have nothing to complain about. The professors are very friendly and the exams are without a doubt doable, if not rather easy for it being a masters program. How can you complain so hard about the program and be doing so good in it? I am actually taking an extra class and so far, it's been pretty good. I have managed to keep a balance in social life and studying 5 days a week. With that being said, the professors are lenient and throw in a big curve at the end of the semester. Hope you don't get discouraged by others. If you want to excel and succeed in the medical field, I believe this is a great program and provides a solid framework for medical school. These professors teach the same MD classes and are easily approachable. I honestly didn't believe we had any student in the program that had such bad things to say about it.

I have to agree with Mahmudur, this program is by far exceeding my expectations. I wouldn't say the tests are easy though, by any means, but the fact of the matter is that if you want a stellar Med prep program then this is the ticket.

However, if all you want is a diploma and some effortless padding for poor performance in undergrad, I would definitely look elsewhere. The program is doable, but the truth is that it is about 80% of the intensity of your first and second years in med school. In other words, you have to study. A lot. I know several people came in here thinking of this as being an easy transition year where they'd get to study for the MCAT and hang out in Tampa (me included) and got swiftly kicked in the face. If you do not put in the effort, you will NOT PASS (let alone get a decent GPA).

So if you're looking at this after having put in a lackluster effort in undergrad, you really need to check yourself and get your stuff together before you come here. Yes, some of the teachers suck but they all also teach the same courses in the med program, so I'm sure they suck there too. The truth is that if you KNOW the material, you won't have a problem on the test. People expect to be spoon fed and the truth is that this program makes you use forks. Oh and PS most people here bombed one of their first exams second semester- though I'm sure that has nothing to do with that little outburst.

Ok I don't know what this person is talking about. I am in the program and also have a 3.8 gpa and have nothing to complain about. The professors are very friendly and the exams are without a doubt doable, if not rather easy for it being a masters program. How can you complain so hard about the program and be doing so good in it? I am actually taking an extra class and so far, it's been pretty good. I have managed to keep a balance in social life and studying 5 days a week. With that being said, the professors are lenient and throw in a big curve at the end of the semester. Hope you don't get discouraged by others. If you want to excel and succeed in the medical field, I believe this is a great program and provides a solid framework for medical school. These professors teach the same MD classes and are easily approachable. I honestly didn't believe we had any student in the program that had such bad things to say about it.

Thanks for the info. I've been accepted to this program, pre professional track and was wondering if you took the princeton review class offered the summer before fall semester? I definitely need to retake my MCAT but debating using the PR. Also, how is your med school journey going? Do you feel the MS program (despite not taking the actual classes that med students take) was worth it compared to other programs?

What's my authority for saying this? I'm one of the few that were accepted to medical school (MD but i'm not going to USF thank god) this year, so I'm the outlier. I'm saying this on behalf of 99.9% of the students.

Whatever you do, PLEASE do not do this program. What are the stats? approx 650 students are accepted into all the master's programs, and they graduate much less than that (the rest fail out due to class load). How many of them get into USF Med school? 2010 - 3. 2011 - 5. 2012 - 5 are expected (and that's from consecutive years. so the denominator of the matriculant:graduate ratio increases by 650 every year while the numerator stays about the same). What about other acceptance to other medical schools? Number of MS students with an acceptance to an MD and DO school - approx 20. Think you're better and smarter than everyone else so you'll be one of the top few? So does everyone else. Think you're more determined than the next and can outwit the others? Here's a reality check - this program is so cutthroat that students intentionally give each other the wrong answers and physical force is used to push other students out of the way to simply get a decent seat in class. That's a preview of the dedication/determination that each student has here. This may work for a very small number of people, but the rest of the entire class is having their dreams ruined, despite an insane amount of studying and dedication by all. Why ruined? because the vast majority of the class, although very intelligent, are barely breaking a 3.0 GPA because the grading scheme and exams are absolutely absurd and don't reflect what's taught in lecture. Oh yeah, and there's no curve. A 3.0 in a master's program is equivalent to a 2.0 undergrad, so you stand no chance at ever getting into medical school. And for most people, this master's is supposed to strengthen their application, so it obviously does the opposite.

So what's an alternative? Do a different master's program or reapply to medical school in upcoming years (retake the MCAT if necessary). It's sad to see an auditorium full of highly intelligent people, most of whom ruined their shot at medical school by doing this program. Had they reapplied, retaken their MCAT or simply did another program, they would have been accepted to medical school - even if it was DO or Caribbean. Now they don't even stand a chance at that. I don't care where you went to school or how intelligent you think you are (an idea of the current student population - lots of 4.0 undergrads, 39 MCATs, Ivy League undergrads, etc), this program is designed for students to fail.

That being said, if you still choose to do this program - you've been warned.

Ps. If you send me private message and if I respond with vague details, it's simply because I'm trying to protect my identity.

What's my authority for saying this? I'm one of the few that were accepted to medical school (MD but i'm not going to USF thank god) this year, so I'm the outlier. I'm saying this on behalf of 99.9% of the students.

Whatever you do, PLEASE do not do this program. What are the stats? approx 650 students are accepted into all the master's programs, and they graduate much less than that (the rest fail out due to class load). How many of them get into USF Med school? 2010 - 3. 2011 - 5. 2012 - 5 are expected (and that's from consecutive years. so the denominator of the matriculant:graduate ratio increases by 650 every year while the numerator stays about the same). What about other acceptance to other medical schools? Number of MS students with an acceptance to an MD and DO school - approx 20. Think you're better and smarter than everyone else so you'll be one of the top few? So does everyone else. Think you're more determined than the next and can outwit the others? Here's a reality check - this program is so cutthroat that students intentionally give each other the wrong answers and physical force is used to push other students out of the way to simply get a decent seat in class. That's a preview of the dedication/determination that each student has here. This may work for a very small number of people, but the rest of the entire class is having their dreams ruined, despite an insane amount of studying and dedication by all. Why ruined? because the vast majority of the class, although very intelligent, are barely breaking a 3.0 GPA because the grading scheme and exams are absolutely absurd and don't reflect what's taught in lecture. Oh yeah, and there's no curve. A 3.0 in a master's program is equivalent to a 2.0 undergrad, so you stand no chance at ever getting into medical school. And for most people, this master's is supposed to strengthen their application, so it obviously does the opposite.

So what's an alternative? Do a different master's program or reapply to medical school in upcoming years (retake the MCAT if necessary). It's sad to see an auditorium full of highly intelligent people, most of whom ruined their shot at medical school by doing this program. Had they reapplied, retaken their MCAT or simply did another program, they would have been accepted to medical school - even if it was DO or Caribbean. Now they don't even stand a chance at that. I don't care where you went to school or how intelligent you think you are (an idea of the current student population - lots of 4.0 undergrads, 39 MCATs, Ivy League undergrads, etc), this program is designed for students to fail.

Ps. If you send me private message and if I respond with vague details, it's simply because I'm trying to protect my identity.

Thank you for your opinion of this program. It's becoming hard to sift through all the reviews of this program because each review is polar opposites of each other. I think what I'm going to have to do is ask if I can shadow a student in the program and hope THAT isn't biased either.

Whoa, you naysayers really need to slow your roll.

Dr2Be2016, we can agree to disagree. Most of my professors were extremely respectful, organized, and willing to talk to you IF you set up a meeting. By the looks of it, you have a choice of medical school. So congratulations to you and good luck in all of your endeavors!

nameless12345, I'm sorry you feel that way. True, it certainly sucks that such few of the MS students get into USF and medical school in general. It's just the way it is now with some many MS students. Congrats on your acceptance, by the way! I saw over half of my concentration struggle with the coursework, many had to retake 1+ courses, and there were definitely people who didn't graduate. Thankfully I did very well in this program, like you and Dr2Be2016. However, we have to come prepared to work, and work hard we shall. As far as curves are concerned, it must be a difference in course because they did change the curriculum for the new program. When I was there the professors were mostly open to discussion after the test, as long as you had a legitimate challenge to a particular question. But if you don't say anything then there's nothing they can do for you. So, you have to be your own advocate. I was not aware that any part of the program was as cut throat as you portray it to be. I never got that sense at all while I was there. That must have gotten old quickly.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I saw some of these negative posts, so as a current grad student at USF, I thought I would try to shed some (hopefully) unbiased light on the USF MS in Medical Sciences Pre-Professional Program. I don't know where "nameless" received their info from, but I recently talked to admissions, and last year alone, they accepted 20 applicants that were current or former MS students. That's 12.5% of the incoming class...that's pretty good in my book.

This is the first year that the master's program has been combined like it is this year. There are online programs, but the previous disciplines (molecular medicine, pharmacology, anatomy, etc) are all combined into one. And we all know that as with anything, the first time around is always trial and error. But first things first - this program is NOT intended to, nor does it promise any acceptance to any medical school. A lot of potential students understand this theory, but everyone is secretly hoping to get into USF COM. It's unrealistic to think that USF COM can accept all 250 master's students (250 are accepted into the MSP3 program) when there are only 160 seats at USF COM (120 Core + 40 SELECT) for all 3000+ applications they receive.

Pros - This is a high risk/high reward program. If you do well in the program, you stand a really good chance at getting into medical school. Most students who have a 3.5 or better matriculate into a medical school (MD, DO, or Caribbean) within a couple of years. After talking with the grad office, 71% of students from last semester had an average of 3.0 or better. I have no idea what the distribution is above that range. This semester, people are very worried about their grades due to some unfair exams. But they're currently discussing how to change it to accurately reflect the students' hard work, so everything will be adjusted. Overall, this program won't survive if the majority fail (i.e. lower than a 3.0 average), so they want to ensure that we do well.

Cons - This is the first year that the master's program has been done like this so we are definitely the guinea pigs. Because it's a fluid and dynamic program, it's currently changing for the better. Next year will be a MILLION times better than this year. Another thing - these are the same or very similar classes and exams that are given to the medical students, but graduate students have to earn a B average (>82) to graduate, while the medical students typically have to earn a C or better (>72). The vast majority of people in this program are very driven and determined to do well. As a result, the stakes are raised. But see it as a challenge :) And again, they can't fail out half of the graduate class because no one would go to USF the following year.

Ultimately, this program is what you make of it. Yes, there are some serious issues with the exams, but they are currently being worked out and they're changing it for next year's class (beginning Aug 2012). Again, this is a learning process, but the majority of teachers actually do care about the students. If you're willing to bust your butt while you're here, and just understand that as with any master's, this will most likely be a 2-year process, you'll be fine. It's a 2 year process because it's 1 year for master's and then you should apply for med school AFTER completion of the program (with a final gpa). However, realize that no master's program, regardless of any other factor, will substantially offset a substandard application. A master's degree is something that can strengthen an application, but it will not significantly change an application. If you had a low undergrad gpa or a low MCAT, some schools are willing to take a successfully completed master's degree into consideration when making a decision, but it's completely dependent upon the school. But it is up to you to research all of the medical schools and find out which ones have a truly holistic review process (done by calling the med school admissions office). There are some students who have a low mcat, low undergrad gpa, very little or no shadowing hours or experience, and magically think that barely passing a 1-year master's program will remedy all of that and they'll be accepted into Harvard on a full-ride. That's an exaggeration of course, but you see my point. That will never happen...at any medical school. You have to make your application well-rounded and it's up to you to strengthen any weak areas.

MOST IMPORTANT - Matriculation to medical school is a journey, and ultimately YOU are responsible for your own success. This journey is longer for some than it is for others, but it's a journey nonetheless. If you need to overcome a deficit on your application, realize that it will take you longer than others. But everything is possible if you're persistent enough.

That being said, I think USF master's is a fantastic program if you're willing to put in the work. There are some kinks, but the administration really does listen to students. Personally, it was the bridge I needed to get into medical school and overcome a weak application. I start this August at USF :)..

Nameless - congrats on your acceptance!! To be honest, I think we can do more by bringing constructive criticism to the faculty than by ranting on here. However, obviously this is a free world, so thanks for sharing your thoughts :) Here are mine:

Hi everyone, I saw some of these negative posts, so as a current grad student at USF, I thought I would try to shed some (hopefully) unbiased light on the USF MS in Medical Sciences Pre-Professional Program. I don't know where "nameless" received their info from, but I recently talked to admissions, and last year alone, they accepted 20 applicants that were current or former MS students. That's 12.5% of the incoming class...that's pretty good in my book.

This is the first year that the master's program has been combined like it is this year. There are online programs, but the previous disciplines (molecular medicine, pharmacology, anatomy, etc) are all combined into one. And we all know that as with anything, the first time around is always trial and error. But first things first - this program is NOT intended to, nor does it promise any acceptance to any medical school. A lot of potential students understand this theory, but everyone is secretly hoping to get into USF COM. It's unrealistic to think that USF COM can accept all 250 master's students (250 are accepted into the MSP3 program) when there are only 160 seats at USF COM (120 Core + 40 SELECT) for all 3000+ applications they receive.

Pros - This is a high risk/high reward program. If you do well in the program, you stand a really good chance at getting into medical school. Most students who have a 3.5 or better matriculate into a medical school (MD, DO, or Caribbean) within a couple of years. After talking with the grad office, 71% of students from last semester had an average of 3.0 or better. I have no idea what the distribution is above that range. This semester, people are very worried about their grades due to some unfair exams. But they're currently discussing how to change it to accurately reflect the students' hard work, so everything will be adjusted. Overall, this program won't survive if the majority fail (i.e. lower than a 3.0 average), so they want to ensure that we do well.

Cons - This is the first year that the master's program has been done like this so we are definitely the guinea pigs. Because it's a fluid and dynamic program, it's currently changing for the better. Next year will be a MILLION times better than this year. Another thing - these are the same or very similar classes and exams that are given to the medical students, but graduate students have to earn a B average (>82) to graduate, while the medical students typically have to earn a C or better (>72). The vast majority of people in this program are very driven and determined to do well. As a result, the stakes are raised. But see it as a challenge :) And again, they can't fail out half of the graduate class because no one would go to USF the following year.

Ultimately, this program is what you make of it. Yes, there are some serious issues with the exams, but they are currently being worked out and they're changing it for next year's class (beginning Aug 2012). Again, this is a learning process, but the majority of teachers actually do care about the students. If you're willing to bust your butt while you're here, and just understand that as with any master's, this will most likely be a 2-year process, you'll be fine. It's a 2 year process because it's 1 year for master's and then you should apply for med school AFTER completion of the program (with a final gpa). However, realize that no master's program, regardless of any other factor, will substantially offset a substandard application. A master's degree is something that can strengthen an application, but it will not significantly change an application. If you had a low undergrad gpa or a low MCAT, some schools are willing to take the master's degree into consideration when making a decision, but it's completely dependent upon the school. But it is up to you to research all of the medical schools and find out which ones have a truly holistic review process (done by calling the med school admissions office). There are some students who have a low mcat, low undergrad gpa, very little or no shadowing hours or experience, and magically think that barely passing a 1-year master's program will remedy all of that and they'll be accepted into Harvard on a full-ride. That's an exaggeration of course, but you see my point. That will never happen...at any medical school. You have to make your application well-rounded and it's up to you to strengthen any weak areas.

MOST IMPORTANT - Matriculation to medical school is a journey, and ultimately YOU are responsible for your own success. This journey is longer for some than it is for others, but it's a journey nonetheless. If you need to overcome a deficit on your application, realize that it will take you longer than others. But everything is possible if you're persistent enough.

That being said, I think USF master's is a fantastic program if you're willing to put in the work. There are some kinks, but the administration really does listen to students. Personally, it was the bridge I needed to get into medical school and overcome a weak application. I start this August at USF :)..

acousticxlover: when did you apply and how long did it take for you to hear back?

Hi. I am a current student in the USF master's program in Medical Sciences. Attending this program is a huge regret of mine. This program will NOT help you get accepted to medical school or any other kind od profession school, but it will help you once you are already accepted. The program is highly UNFAIR. Our lastest test averages are a 50% and a 60%. This Friday our entire class has a meeting with the head because of disappointed everyone is with the program. Many people have failed out, not because they didn't put the effort in, and many have quit because of how ridiculous the program is. This is the first year they have offered this dregree/program and it is a HUGE FAILURE. Please think twice before attending because the outcome may greatly inhibit your chances of ever being accepted in any professional school.

problems:
test on 6 weeks of material on each exam
only 3 exams so you must do well on all of them
syllabus says each exam will be 50 questions...some are 40, some 45, some 55
syllabus states scantron tests, but mid semster we are now testing on computers
we were not warned ahead of time that while testing using a mac computer everytime you scroll down your answer was changed and there is no way to prove orginal answers vs changed answers so some students ended up with 12s on the exam (no joke)
they test as if we are pass/fail

This program is UNORGANIZED, UNFAIR and ultimately a diappoint and failure.

There are 250 students in one lecture hall at the same time.

Hi. I am a current student in the USF master's program in Medical Sciences. Attending this program is a huge regret of mine. This program will NOT help you get accepted to medical school or any other kind od profession school, but it will help you once you are already accepted. The program is highly UNFAIR. Our lastest test averages are a 50% and a 60%. This Friday our entire class has a meeting with the head because of disappointed everyone is with the program. Many people have failed out, not because they didn't put the effort in, and many have quit because of how ridiculous the program is. This is the first year they have offered this dregree/program and it is a HUGE FAILURE. Please think twice before attending because the outcome may greatly inhibit your chances of ever being accepted in any professional school.

problems:
we were not warned ahead of time that while testing using a mac computer everytime you scroll down your answer was changed and there is no way to prove orginal answers vs changed answers so some students ended up with 12s on the exam (no joke)

You are welcome to shadow any of us. Contact Katie Carson and she will set you up with a student that's like you.

problems: