University of Southern California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Choosing USC over UCSD and I am so excited to start in the fall!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Choosing USC over UCSD and I am so excited to start in the fall!!!!

Congrats and welcome to the Trojan family!

Could you please explain why you chose USC over UCSD? Some people are in the same boat as you, and maybe that'll help them decide which school is best for them.

Jim Granderson and Dean Vanderveen do a great job in creating a good image for the school. USC has national recognition because of their hard work along with researchers achievements in getting federal grants. Others in the school like Dr. Besinque who seems to have most of the say as to what goes on in student life and education degrade both the professional and learning environment that should be present in a pharmacy school as prestigious as USC. Most upperclassman and alumni will tell you that their first year was a complete waste of time. That means I am paying ~$50,000 this year for classes that have nothing to do with my future career.

I would talk about USCs relatively low match rate during 4th year, but I doubt most people applying know much about the residency route.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Jim Granderson and Dean Vanderveen do a great job in creating a good image for the school. USC has national recognition because of their hard work along with researchers achievements in getting federal grants. Others in the school like Dr. Besinque who seems to have most of the say as to what goes on in student life and education degrade both the professional and learning environment that should be present in a pharmacy school as prestigious as USC. Most upperclassman and alumni will tell you that their first year was a complete waste of time. That means I am paying ~$50,000 this year for classes that have nothing to do with my future career.

I would talk about USCs relatively low match rate during 4th year, but I doubt most people applying know much about the residency route.

Can you stop being such a pessimist on these forums? If you don't like the school then go elsewhere. Noone is forcing you to continue there. there are plenty of other schools that allow transfers. I haven't seen you say one good thing about the school, which makes your points less valid that you can't acknowledge both sides of you issues.

According to Dr. Gong, the c/o 2013 had about a 40% residency match rate (from about 100 that entered the match). I heard 2nd hand that the c/o 2014 had a higher match % (no idea the %, or how many applied). I will provide additional information if some becomes available, as it might help drive the decision process for applicants.

Anyone notice how often my posts contain 'rumors?' The rumors appear to be about 50% correct based over the past 4 yrs of school, so take the rumors with a grain of salt. There tends to be incomplete communication between the school and students, and much information is learned from classmates. Just go with the flow...

Friends at Western U in Pomona receive a list of who/where matched (I think it is optional to participate), while USC and Loma Linda have no such list. The good news is that virtually everyone I spoke with have a job/residency/fellowship pending. Only spoke to 2 classmates that have nothing yet (from a class of 179 graduating).

Hope that this post helps a bit. Goodluck!

^I think you just gave the P0s more information than most P1s and P2s have. I don't think anyone really knows whether we even have IV rotations next year. It's just a shame.

I heard that IV Bootcamp will only be 2-3 days...of course...that's a only rumor. I suspect that Dr. Lieu's heart is broken, she lived for that and Nutrition. I always described that it was like walking through Freddy Krueger's Lair getting to the IV Room, and also the building that houses the IV room. IV Bootcamp was one of the most useful things in pharmacy school, it set the program apart. Of course, when the state board inspector walked into the County IV Room, and saw 8-10 interns with 2 pharmacists supervising...well, you can imagine what happened. On the bright side, I heard that physical assessment training may come back. Take a deep breath, time flies, and you really need your strength to pass 3rd year.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the large class size like? Is it so large that you don't really know most your classmates?

I'm also waitlisted from the March 8 interview date..

What is the large class size like? Is it so large that you don't really know most your classmates?

I'm also waitlisted from the March 8 interview date..

Goodluck on the wait, seems like many who are waitlisted eventually receive an acceptance. C/o 2014 has approx. 179 graduating. I do not know most classmates well, but that's because I did not socialize much. USC is contributing to the oversupply too. Money makes the world go 'round.

Goodluck on the wait, seems like many who are waitlisted eventually receive an acceptance. C/o 2014 has approx. 179 graduating. I do not know most classmates well, but that's because I did not socialize much. USC is contributing to the oversupply too. Money makes the world go 'round.

Omg are you sure? Maybe the ones that were waitlisted during the earlier interview dates have higher chances of getting accepted? Because I think all schools have a full class by now...

Is waitlist and active consideration the same thing?

I have been on AC since the first interview date. I hope meg is right.

Members don't see this ad :)

195 entered this year. I would still be hopeful if I was on AC. There will be waves of acceptances and people being pushed off active consideration every 2-3 weeks based on people declining their acceptance and others being ruled off as candidates. The best thing you can do is relax until the results come. Try not to refresh this page more than twice a day. (I know it can be hard)

I don't think USC is contributing to oversupply. About half of all pharmacists in Los Angeles are pharmacists from USC, and trust me people go to many other schools. People from schools who don't perform well in their careers get put on part time by chains from my experience. USC has the reputation for delivering competent pharmacists. A pharmacy degree is pretty high in demand considering how many people graduate from pharmacy schools each year. It is likely that there will more demand for pharmacists as more people are getting drug coverage via obamacare and baby boomers getting medicare.

I have to agree with Trojan17 here. Yes, there is likely an oversupply of graduating pharmacists but no, if you are coming from USC, I don't think there is a need to worry.

There is going to be as many as 15+ pharmacy schools in CA alone next year. The top few schools that have always been at the top will still remain at the top when competing against the 'oversupply' of graduating pharmacists.

Withdrew my acceptance today! Best of luck to those waiting!

Reactions: 5 users
Turned down my spot for UCSD! Good luck to all of you!

I got accepted today, was in AC from January 25 interview. Good luck everyone, hope all of you get good news soon.

Reactions: 5 users
I got accepted on Monday as well, wait listed since Nov interview.

I will most likely attend :)

received a conditional acceptance and email for criminal background check

For those who are already at usc( finishing p1 and so on). I have a question about financial aid. I'm planning to live at my own place. I know that there is 2 kinds of loans. I'm just worried that I will not have enough from them. According to fafsa, they'll let me take 20500, so the rest I have to take from the PLUS loan. I'm wondering how much they'll let you get from the PLUS loan? Thank you

For those who are already at usc( finishing p1 and so on). I have a question about financial aid. I'm planning to live at my own place. I know that there is 2 kinds of loans. I'm just worried that I will not have enough from them. According to fafsa, they'll let me take 20500, so the rest I have to take from the PLUS loan. I'm wondering how much they'll let you get from the PLUS loan? Thank you

Hi there, you should join the facebook group! This question was answered in the group!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/595244460550510/

Here's my scenario: $33k stafford, $11k health science graduate, $ ~47k plus = ~$87k

So far, I've had enough for housing, food, transportation and still some left for the summer (about $8k left)

Hi there, you should join the facebook group! This question was answered in the group!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/595244460550510/

Here's my scenario: $33k stafford, $11k health science graduate, $ ~47k plus = ~$87k

So far, I've had enough for housing, food, transportation and still some left for the summer (about $8k left)

Thank you for the information! It helps

Just got an email from admission saying class of 2018 is now full, and I was asked whether or not I want to be on the waiting list. Anyone has the same situation??? By the way, to USC current students, are there any of you got accepted really late?Between June-August? Thanks

The browser and the PDF is not letting me email to confirm that I want to stay on the waitlist. Did anyone else have trouble or figured out how to email it?

The browser and the PDF is not letting me email to confirm that I want to stay on the waitlist. Did anyone else have trouble or figured out how to email it?
Had the same issue, so I filled out and attached to the email

Did you get a confirmation or anything after you emailed your waitlist confirmation? I haven't received anything yet and I want to make sure they got the email.

c/o 2014 graduates this Friday, so the office may be preoccupied. Perhaps wait until next week? BTW, Western U has their c/o 2014 graduation today.

To those still on the waitlist or considering if they should still remain on it... I just gave up my spot 2 days ago. I imagine there will be more people like me giving up their spots either around now or later in June. So I definitely wouldn't lose hope but make sure to have backup plans! (I'm sure most or all of you do by now though)

Did you get a confirmation or anything after you emailed your waitlist confirmation? I haven't received anything yet and I want to make sure they got the email.
I got the confirmation email from admission

To those still on the waitlist or considering if they should still remain on it... I just gave up my spot 2 days ago. I imagine there will be more people like me giving up their spots either around now or later in June. So I definitely wouldn't lose hope but make sure to have backup plans! (I'm sure most or all of you do by now though)
Thanks! Good luck!!!

This is so weird, school is starting soon and there seems to be no movements at all...

This is so weird, school is starting soon and there seems to be no movements at all...

There has been movement. I've been talking to people who've recently added the facebook group and some of them are pulled from the waitlist.

They do keep pulling till the day orientation starts, so keep your fingers crossed!

I've been accepted to other school, but I still really hope to get in USC.

I heard there's some students got accepted very late like when school had already started. How could they have time to do all the paper work, loan and moving in such a short time notice?

For anyone who is trying to get into USC pharmacy or has thoughts between USC and another school.. trust me do not come here. Number #1 reason: Kathy Besinque.

Otherwise good luck. I wish you don't hate pharmacy school (or the profession) because of the lack of support from Administration. You'll be in either two categories: scared to say anything or fighting for years (not all the way through but the majority of it)
(I tried to warn you)

I really wish upperclassman warned me during interviews/ orientation/ etc. Now I am stuck here