University of Southern Nevada Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Pharm B: Thanks!

@diastole: The titer check only when something is not completed right? I didn't see that on the Imm. sheet.. a bit confused...

@Pong: Just trying to keep up on it so I don't overwhelmed right before school starts.. like how I'm trying to cram for my O Chem 2 class this weekend hahaha

A titer is when they check your blood for vaccines that you have already received. For example, I got the polio vaccine when I was a child but had no idea where my records were. When they took the titer, it showed that I had received the vaccine so I didn't need to repeat it. There is no need to get a titer if you have all of your vaccination records.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted. Talked to Dr. DeYoung an hour ago. No seats left at henderson. Took seat at the Utah campus. Looking forward to meeting everyone and being classmates for the next 3 years.

Accepted. Talked to Dr. DeYoung an hour ago. No seats left at henderson. Took seat at the Utah campus. Looking forward to meeting everyone and being classmates for the next 3 years.

Congrats! How many seats are left at the Utah campus?
:xf:My only hope is to get waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Summit! What a long wait for you (skimming through last years application thread when I applied) this had been. Get ready for the marathon!

Congrats Summit! Glad you got in!

No seats left in Henderson? Doubt that.

Did he say how many seats were left at the Utah campus?

Congrats Summit! Now to do all the paperwork... haha

Did he say how many seats were left at the Utah campus?

No, he didn't. Remember that in 3 weeks all of those that accepted a seat will have to have paid the deposit, and not all of them will. This will allow more spots.

This will be the best paperwork I have filled out in a while.

Congrats :)

So now the only Option is to wait for 1 month....Henderson is full, Utah will full pretty soon......hope i can make it in wait list...

So now the only Option is to wait for 1 month....Henderson is full, Utah will full pretty soon......hope i can make it in wait list...

Keep your head up. As I mentioned before, last year a lot of people who were accepted never ended up paying their deposits and as a result many more people were accepted. Waiting sucks, but you'll get there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone has input regarding obtaining a residency after graduating from a pharmacy school with a pass/fail system. Even though USN considers "passing" to be a 90% or above but I am not sure if this makes a difference in terms of applying to a residency program as there is still no GPA to look at.This is something that I am definitely considering down the line, especially considering the current state of the job market, and my only concern is that with no GPA students from USN may not be competitive for a residency spot.

I was wondering if anyone has input regarding obtaining a residency after graduating from a pharmacy school with a pass/fail system. Even though USN considers "passing" to be a 90% or above but I am not sure if this makes a difference in terms of applying to a residency program as there is still no GPA to look at.This is something that I am definitely considering down the line, especially considering the current state of the job market, and my only concern is that with no GPA students from USN may not be competitive for a residency spot.

I've heard it's hard to obtain residency under a pass/fail system, but it's not impossible. Some of the key aspects for obtaining a residency that I've read on the forums is to do very well on your rotations, garner excellent recommendations, and kill it during the interview process. I've searched around the 'net to see how many residents came from pass/fail systems and a bunch of Pacific University graduates came up, which also has a pass/fail curriculum.

Give this thread a read and hopefully you'll get some of the answers you're looking for:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=710742&highlight=pass%2C+fail

Thanks for the info FarmDeeHI that was very helpful!

Everything FarmDeeHI said is on point and I did ask this question during my interview because I am also very interested in pursuing the same thing. I was told that USN has had quite a few students matched into prestigious residencies like at Cedar Sinai and UCSF and USN will help students pursue that. I also looked online and found that USN students have matched at local hospitals in Nevada year after year. So it may be more difficult but certainly not impossible.

I also asked this question during my interview last year and Dr. Deyoung told me that in the past it has been a little difficult for student to get residencies that come from a pass/fail system. However, since USN holds higher standards than most pass/fail systems (90% vs the traditional 70%), residency programs are starting to recognize that students who graduate from USN are essentially at worst A- students.

While USN doesn't have class ranking, I have heard that for students who want to persue a residency, the school can tell them what type of student you were (ie. top 10% or something like that). How they determine that, I have no idea. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. That is just something I have heard around school.

There is actually a resident at the hospital I work at that graduated from USN. I'll have to ask him how the whole process works and get back to you. Maybe he'll have some better insight.

This is all very helpful and encouraging. I too asked this question during my interview and was assured that though difficult its definitely not impossible but hearing about actual residents who were placed helps with any hesitation I may have had. PongChamp that would be awesome to get some details as to how the process went.

I asked Dr. Ziance that question during my interview. He gave me some very good advice which was more insightful than your average "do extracurricular activities" answer. Know beforehand what residency program you would like to pursue and what they are looking for. Taylor your experiences (extracurriculars, pharmacy experience) towards what that particular program is looking for. Get to know the professors and show them you are a leader among classmates and they will write a more insightful, convincing recommendation letter for you. Don't just go up to them after 3 years and ask them to write a letter without any forethought and planning.

Hope that helps.

I heard a rumor that all spots at both campuses have been filled. So if you didn't get accepted, you're either waitlisted or rejected. Here's to hoping the waitlist moves quickly.

I heard a rumor that all spots at both campuses have been filled. So if you didn't get accepted, you're either waitlisted or rejected. Here's to hoping the waitlist moves quickly.
do you think we should contact Dr. Deyoung to make sure??

It is more difficult to get a residency if you come from USN. These are the numbers I heard about last year's class. Last year about 2/3rds of the people who applied got residencies across the country but only about 50% of USN students who wanted a residency got one. This year was more competitive so more people were left out in the cold. I haven't heard this year's percentages at USN but I'm sure I'll hear something soon. It is getting more and more competitive every year so plan accordingly.

so will I receive a mail or email for notification?
is it too hard to get in if we are put in the waiting list??

if you're on the waitlist, you will get an email asking you to confirm your spot on the list. At that time it will tell you approx where on the list (1-25, 26-50, 51-75, 76-100, 100+) If you are in the 1-25 group, I would say you probably have a pretty good chance, and it goes down from there, but never give up, they accept ppl off the list up to the first day of class if seats open up.

If you don't make the waitlist, you'll be sent a rejection letter via snail-mail.

When should we expect to get the email notification by if we're waitlisted?

I'm hoping to apply to USN for the class of 2015, anybody have any tips on how to study for the pcat?

It is more difficult to get a residency if you come from USN. These are the numbers I heard about last year's class. Last year about 2/3rds of the people who applied got residencies across the country but only about 50% of USN students who wanted a residency got one. This year was more competitive so more people were left out in the cold. I haven't heard this year's percentages at USN but I'm sure I'll hear something soon. It is getting more and more competitive every year so plan accordingly.

Yea I would imagine that its definitely more difficult but as long its not impossible I'm okay with that.

I asked Dr. Ziance that question during my interview. He gave me some very good advice which was more insightful than your average "do extracurricular activities" answer. Know beforehand what residency program you would like to pursue and what they are looking for. Taylor your experiences (extracurriculars, pharmacy experience) towards what that particular program is looking for. Get to know the professors and show them you are a leader among classmates and they will write a more insightful, convincing recommendation letter for you. Don't just go up to them after 3 years and ask them to write a letter without any forethought and planning.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that definitely helps!

Anyone have any thoughts on housing next year? I'm from SD and I'm looking for any tips about the area. Also, anyone out there interested in a roommate? Dr. DeYoung mentioned a list of people in the program, etc., but that wouldn't go out until July. Anyone interested in the MBA program has to be there around this time already.

Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to all those on the waitlist or otherwise!

Hey, does anyone know if we have to print and fill out the paper work included in the email we received, or wait until we get the packet via snail mail? Or both?

I'm hoping to apply to USN for the class of 2015, anybody have any tips on how to study for the pcat?

I found the practice tests really helpful so I think they are worth buying. The Kaplan guide is a good starting place but not good for some subjects so you will need to find other supplemental materials. I'd study first, take a practice test to see your strengths and weaknesses and then study in the subjects that need improvement. The pacing on math is crazy fast so practice answering the questions quickly. You don't want to be surprised on test day.

I found the practice tests really helpful so I think they are worth buying. The Kaplan guide is a good starting place but not good for some subjects so you will need to find other supplemental materials. I'd study first, take a practice test to see your strengths and weaknesses and then study in the subjects that need improvement. The pacing on math is crazy fast so practice answering the questions quickly. You don't want to be surprised on test day.

I'm retaking calculus over the summer since I'm pretty sure AP credits aren't accepted by most schools so that should provide me with a refresher. I've heard about other study books, but the names escape me at the moment. Anyways thank you for the response!

When should we expect to get the email notification by if we're waitlisted?

Last year the waitlist emails went out mid-April, but the last interview date was later than this year

I'm retaking calculus over the summer since I'm pretty sure AP credits aren't accepted by most schools so that should provide me with a refresher. I've heard about other study books, but the names escape me at the moment. Anyways thank you for the response!

Supposedly the Dr. Collins PCAT destroyer books are the best and highly recommended by everyone who has gotten their hands on one. Personally, I've used the Kaplan books to study and they were somewhat similar to the questions on the PCAT. But, you do bring up a good point.. review your calculus because there were bunch of calc questions on my test and, to me, the math part was the hardest to complete. Not so much the material itself, but the time it took to complete the questions so anticipation is key. Check out the PCAT forum section and you'll find all kinds of helpful info.

Hey, does anyone know if we have to print and fill out the paper work included in the email we received, or wait until we get the packet via snail mail? Or both?

So I should print the materials and mail them I suppose.

So I should print the materials and mail them I suppose.

If I remember correctly, the paperwork requires a bunch of signatures so you will ultimately need to mail them in when they are complete (along with your 1K check :)). Whether you print the material or wait for a packet in the mail I don't think makes a difference as long as it gets to Dr. Deyoung. Honestly, I don't remember even getting a paper packet in the mail last year but who knows, I was way excited to get things filled out and sent on their way that I may not have even noticed. I ended up printing all the material from the email and sending that in. You'll get other various materials to print, fill out and send in the mail throughout the summer too.

Last edited:
Supposedly the Dr. Collins PCAT destroyer books are the best and highly recommended by everyone who has gotten their hands on one. Personally, I've used the Kaplan books to study and they were somewhat similar to the questions on the PCAT. But, you do bring up a good point.. review your calculus because there were bunch of calc questions on my test and, to me, the math part was the hardest to complete. Not so much the material itself, but the time it took to complete the questions so anticipation is key. Check out the PCAT forum section and you'll find all kinds of helpful info.

My friend had the DAT destroyer and I know he really liked that so I am sure the PCAT destroyer would be equally as good. I used the Kaplan book. I thought it was really nice as it had a good review on all the main subjects. It also has a few sets of practice problems. I didn't do a practice PCAT and I wish that I had. Ask around where you are doing your undergrad work and I am sure there will be some free PCAT practice test you can attend. It's nice because it puts you in an actual PCAT testing environment so you know how its going to be.

My friend had the DAT destroyer and I know he really liked that so I am sure the PCAT destroyer would be equally as good. I used the Kaplan book. I thought it was really nice as it had a good review on all the main subjects. It also has a few sets of practice problems. I didn't do a practice PCAT and I wish that I had. Ask around where you are doing your undergrad work and I am sure there will be some free PCAT practice test you can attend. It's nice because it puts you in an actual PCAT testing environment so you know how its going to be.
Hi Pong Champ!!
can I ask you a question please??
i heard that all spots have been filled already....do you know how long it will take to receive notification from Dr. Deyoung about the waiting list??

Hi Pong Champ!!
can I ask you a question please??
i heard that all spots have been filled already....do you know how long it will take to receive notification from Dr. Deyoung about the waiting list??

It just depends on Dr. Deyoung. I know he is very good at making sure everyone know where they stand as soon as possible. It seems a little early for all the seat to be full already but like someone else already mentioned, they finished interviews a little earlier this year than last so it is entirely possible that all the seats could be full. Beyond the interviews, us students don't hear anything else regarding the enrollment status for the next year. If in fact the seats are all taken, I would imagine you would get a email within a week letting you know where you stand. If you were rejected all together, you would receive a letter in the mail soon.

Like I said previously, Dr. Deyoung in very good at letting students know where they stand. You will know as soon as he knows. The best advice I can give you is just sit tight and hope you don't get a letter in the mail anytime soon. I know that's hard to do but there isn't much more you can do. Good luck with everything.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from USN abt waitlist list?

I used Dr. Collins and it was really good. It helped a lot and actually had some practice questions that showed up on the test. Its based out of Florida so you order the materials and study on your own. As long as you can stay pretty disciplined about it I would definitely recommend Dr. Collins.

I also asked this question during my interview last year and Dr. Deyoung told me that in the past it has been a little difficult for student to get residencies that come from a pass/fail system. However, since USN holds higher standards than most pass/fail systems (90% vs the traditional 70%), residency programs are starting to recognize that students who graduate from USN are essentially at worst A- students...

This will sound naive, but does anyone know exactly how a residency program works? I know exactly what field I want to specialize in but I was wondering how long the residency is for (1 year, right?), do you get paid during your residency, and is there some sort of certification process after the residency? Any one have any insight?

thanks

This will sound naive, but does anyone know exactly how a residency program works? I know exactly what field I want to specialize in but I was wondering how long the residency is for (1 year, right?), do you get paid during your residency, and is there some sort of certification process after the residency? Any one have any insight?

thanks

Residencies last a year unless you want to go into something highly specialized (oncology, infectious diseases, etc.) and then you can apply for a second year residency. You do get paid and the amount depends on the residency but it is far less than a pharmacist's salary. I believe that there are board certification tests that you can take after completing a residency but I don't know a lot about them. You apply in the last year of school and you find out if you matched with a program in March. It is highly competitive so if you know what you want to go into, it is best to start making yourself look good early.

It just depends on Dr. Deyoung. I know he is very good at making sure everyone know where they stand as soon as possible. It seems a little early for all the seat to be full already but like someone else already mentioned, they finished interviews a little earlier this year than last so it is entirely possible that all the seats could be full. Beyond the interviews, us students don't hear anything else regarding the enrollment status for the next year. If in fact the seats are all taken, I would imagine you would get a email within a week letting you know where you stand. If you were rejected all together, you would receive a letter in the mail soon.

Like I said previously, Dr. Deyoung in very good at letting students know where they stand. You will know as soon as he knows. The best advice I can give you is just sit tight and hope you don't get a letter in the mail anytime soon. I know that's hard to do but there isn't much more you can do. Good luck with everything.

I hope all the seat have not been filled. I really had my heart set on going to Henderson. I will try again next year. It was exciting to get an interview, but it just got me all riled up for nothing.:( Waiting is horrible especially when you have a family and require time for planning for a move. I just would hate if I had to do that in the span of three weeks.

I hope all the seat have not been filled. I really had my heart set on going to Henderson. I will try again next year. It was exciting to get an interview, but it just got me all riled up for nothing.:( Waiting is horrible especially when you have a family and require time for planning for a move. I just would hate if I had to do that in the span of three weeks.
hey sunshine!! when was your interview???
did you hear anything about the waiting list??

I was on the waitlist last year. I did a quick search through my e-mail history to see when I got my first notification, and it was on April 27th, 2010. If the timing is similar to last year, I'm guessing they will wait to see whether the last major batch of accepted students send in their deposit checks by the deadline, which fits with this timeline.

Hang in there guys!