University of St. Augustine San Marcos Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utahutesfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone apply for Fall of 2011 at USA's campus in San Marcos? If so, have you guys heard anything back from them yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I applied there
They emailed me on the 11th saying that they had processed my application and it had been giving to the admissions commitee to review. So ive been holding my breath since then. How bout you?

I received an email on January 7th saying they received my application and would notify me if anything was missing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my stuff at the end of August and they confirmed everything in September. I'm just wondering when we will hear back about interviews.

wow, youve been waiting quite a while then..I guess I have no room to complain. I would think they would hold interviews by early february..but just a guess. I just hope its soon..

So I emailed St Augustine yesterday asking about interviews and they said that they would be emailing out invites this week. Anyone gotten one yet? Trying to decide when I should stop being hopeful..

I got an email yesterday inviting me to an interview on Feb. 26. I don't think you should stop being hopeful yet. Good luck to ya.

Last edited:
:( that probably means Im not getting one then..its still midweek but I would think they would send them all out at once..man that sucks. Congrats to you though!

ashy87pt--I agree with Yohan, I don't think you should stop being hopeful yet. Its still technically early in the week. Today is only half way over and there are still 2 more days left in the week. Who knows they may even be sending out invites next week as well. I just got really nervous though knowing they have actually started sending out invites. Im hoping for one myself for Fall 2011 San Marcos campus :xf:. This waiting process is so nerve wracking. Good Luck to those of us still waiting & CONGRATS to those who have already received an invite (Good Luck with your interviews :))

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Its just hard not to get pessimistic when you want it so badly and they have already started sending invites. Let me know if you hear anything PT Success..and Ill do the same. I am hoping to interview at san marcos for fall as well so who knows..maybe ill see you on Feb 26th :)

Yea, I applied for Summer term and I believe they had 2 different interviews. I think that they have set dates for interviews and they'll invite you regardless of what term you applied for if there is room. Stay confident.

I just got my interview invitation today! It feels good to finally get some news other than a school sending me an email stating that they received my application. Good luck everyone with your applications!

YAH! I got an interview invitation today..I had entirely given up hope since they said they were sending out invites last week. I mean who sends school emails on the weekend?! But alas..I received one late this afternoon. So excited. I hope its as great as it seems on paper. Nervous!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Great job ashy87pt & everyone else thus far!!! That is interesting that they sent an email on the weekend. I'm still waiting to hear back, and it makes me even more nervous/sad that I still have not heard anything. I am really hoping they are still sending out invites this next week.

For those of you who have received invites for USA San Marcos campus for Fall 2011, when did you all turn in your applications?

For those of you who have received invites for USA San Marcos campus for Fall 2011, when did you all turn in your applications?
I sent mine in Nov. 13th. Getting ready to book a flight down to SD for the Friday night before from San Jose. Can't wait to meet all of you! :love:

I believe they received mine about a week before the December 15th deadline. Excited to meet you all as well!! :)

i received an invite for the interview on the 26th of feb. the invite was sent via email on the 26th of this month--just a few days ago. someone from the committee however did mention that invites will also be sent out on the first week of feb., so invites are still being sent out there. good luck everyone!

Did anyone apply for Fall of 2011 at USA's campus in San Marcos? If so, have you guys heard anything back from them yet?

I got my interview invite email on 21 Jan for an interview on 26 Feb.
I believe USA will be sending out emails for interviews up to the end of Feb, so for those of you who haven't heard anything yet. Don't loose hope.
Good Luck to everyone.

For those individuals who got interviews what program did you guys apply for DPT, DUAL, or MOT??

I finally got my invite today. See you all on the 26th. Does anyone know how many students they interview and accept?

I forgot to ask, this school is accredited right? They said they are CAPTE accredited but I just wanted to make sure.

Good Luck Everyone!! I start DPT in May at San Marcos!! The interview isn't too bad, so try not worry too much. They're all really nice & welcoming, just be yourself, and be VERY professional. There's a ton of information on SDN, so if you type in different variations of University of St. Augustine Interview, you should find a good amount of sample questions/advice.
There are 46 people so far in our class so far that starts May 4th. I think it includes MOT, DPT, and Dual [but our class is the smallest, so I think they shoot for 50 or so]. My favorite thing about USA is that they really look at the whole person & are not solely numbers based.
Congrats on the interviews, I swear that's 3/4th's the battle :)
GOOD LUCK & remember to breathe. See you ALL in August!

USA just went through a CAPTE re-accreditation review on both campuses. CAPTE visits schools every ten years. The school is confident they will receive accreditation again, but USA will not hear anything until October (I think). Also, the school is turning into a non-profit status as of July 1, 2011. They are also moving their main offices to the San Diego campus, and they are seeking accreditation with Western Association of Schools and Colleges, which could occur in two years if everything goes well.

They are also building a campus in Austin, Texas!

Flying down tomorrow!! Can't wait to meet you guys! Remember to pack an umbrella - Thuderstorms in forecast all day Saturday.

I applied for the dual program. Did anyone else apply for the dual? I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. And yes, there will be rain on Saturday, so be prepaired. CA drivers are the worst when it comes to driving in the rain so watch out for those drivers on the road. Good Luck everyone.

I am a 4th term USA student, so I have attended this school for over a year now. For the most part I, and many of my classmates, have been dissatisfied with the services USA has provided. USA is a very disorganized school, for example I am supposed to go out on my 2 month internship in just a month from now and I have not heard where I will be placed yet. This is common, in fact many students in the classes above me have said that they did not find out until days or even one day before they were supposed to be at the site ready to work. Imagine, you have one day to pack your stuff, get a plane ticket, find housing, and be ready to start a very important internship. USA makes no apologies for this, there attitude is "this is how it is and it's up to you to adapt". They can't help but be disorganized because the class sizes are huge at USA and there are three new ones each year. My class size is 60, all the classes below me the class size is 75. They are understaffed and over worked so quality takes a hit, and the faculty stress level is high. This example show the schools disorganization for bigger events like an internship, the day-to-day classes are equally disorganized and frustrating. The teacher to student ratio in labs is atrocious, something like 20:1. When learning manual skills that are very subtle it is important that a teacher takes the time to look at your technique and give feedback, this hardly ever happens for most students in my class and I imagine it's even worse in the classes below me. The one thing that USA does care deeply about is their student handbook of policies and procedures. Hypocritically the school has very high standards for the professional behavior of it's student body, if you are one minute late, not appropriately dressed, or do not follow any of their many rules you can expect to be called out for it instantly by a faculty member. I mentioned dress codes, often times you will be changing clothes between a suit for one class, lab clothes for another class (plane white shirt tucked in to solid colored shorts), to lecture clothes for another class, and if you are in second term you can throw in scrubs for cadaver lab. That means you will be changing clothes at minimum 2 times a day to sometimes 4 times a day, and every day of the week is different. It seems like a petty thing to be frustrated over but when you are spending all this time every week trying to figure out what you are wearing on an hour by hour basis it really starts to get frustrating. Throw in the stress of all the school work you are juggling and it feels ridiculous to be spending this much time planning for what you are supposed to be wear. The campus is extremely small for the size of the student body, good luck trying to find a place to sit down and study. You may get lucky and find a place to sit, it will be tough finding a desk, and if you want some place with a little bit of quiet so you can think than you are entirely out of luck. I wish someone had spelled it out for me like this before I became entrenched in this school. I am a year in and PT schools don't take transfer students so I am stuck with this very expensive school, low quality school. I chose USA because they do sound damn good on paper, and manual therapy is a strong interest of mine and the school claims to have an emphasis in this specialty, and Stanly Paris is a very respected PT who has brought a lot to the profession. However, Dr. Paris as of this year has retired completely from USA and sold it to a non-profit. All my comments are directed towards USA SD, I don't know if Florida campus it doing a better job or not. Good luck to all of you! PT is a great profession and I am thrilled to be apart of it. In the end it's about getting in and graduating, so if USA is your only choice take it and be thrilled. If you have other choices I would seriously consider them.

There are at least 16 students in fourth term who haven't been placed yet as well at the Florida campus. One month to go!

Isn't up to the student to decide where they want to do their internship?
Or is it the approval process that is taking time?

Why are some students are placed while others are not?

I am a 4th term USA student, so I have attended this school for over a year now. For the most part I, and many of my classmates, have been dissatisfied with the services USA has provided. USA is a very disorganized school, for example I am supposed to go out on my 2 month internship in just a month from now and I have not heard where I will be placed yet. This is common, in fact many students in the classes above me have said that they did not find out until days or even one day before they were supposed to be at the site ready to work. Imagine, you have one day to pack your stuff, get a plane ticket, find housing, and be ready to start a very important internship. USA makes no apologies for this, there attitude is "this is how it is and it's up to you to adapt". They can't help but be disorganized because the class sizes are huge at USA and there are three new ones each year. My class size is 60, all the classes below me the class size is 75. They are understaffed and over worked so quality takes a hit, and the faculty stress level is high. This example show the schools disorganization for bigger events like an internship, the day-to-day classes are equally disorganized and frustrating. The teacher to student ratio in labs is atrocious, something like 20:1. When learning manual skills that are very subtle it is important that a teacher takes the time to look at your technique and give feedback, this hardly ever happens for most students in my class and I imagine it's even worse in the classes below me. The one thing that USA does care deeply about is their student handbook of policies and procedures. Hypocritically the school has very high standards for the professional behavior of it's student body, if you are one minute late, not appropriately dressed, or do not follow any of their many rules you can expect to be called out for it instantly by a faculty member. I mentioned dress codes, often times you will be changing clothes between a suit for one class, lab clothes for another class (plane white shirt tucked in to solid colored shorts), to lecture clothes for another class, and if you are in second term you can throw in scrubs for cadaver lab. That means you will be changing clothes at minimum 2 times a day to sometimes 4 times a day, and every day of the week is different. It seems like a petty thing to be frustrated over but when you are spending all this time every week trying to figure out what you are wearing on an hour by hour basis it really starts to get frustrating. Throw in the stress of all the school work you are juggling and it feels ridiculous to be spending this much time planning for what you are supposed to be wear. The campus is extremely small for the size of the student body, good luck trying to find a place to sit down and study. You may get lucky and find a place to sit, it will be tough finding a desk, and if you want some place with a little bit of quiet so you can think than you are entirely out of luck. I wish someone had spelled it out for me like this before I became entrenched in this school. I am a year in and PT schools don't take transfer students so I am stuck with this very expensive school, low quality school. I chose USA because they do sound damn good on paper, and manual therapy is a strong interest of mine and the school claims to have an emphasis in this specialty, and Stanly Paris is a very respected PT who has brought a lot to the profession. However, Dr. Paris as of this year has retired completely from USA and sold it to a non-profit. All my comments are directed towards USA SD, I don't know if Florida campus it doing a better job or not. Good luck to all of you! PT is a great profession and I am thrilled to be apart of it. In the end it's about getting in and graduating, so if USA is your only choice take it and be thrilled. If you have other choices I would seriously consider them.

Can anyone else weigh in on this from experience? What about the positives? There will always be positives and negatives to every school, but I do not want to steer clear of a school based solely on one post made by someone who does have experience...

Bump on said negative experience. Would like to know how it turned out for you. I have an interview may 11 at San Marcos and really disturbed at your post. Did it get any better?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app I will accept any pt school at this point. I cannot sleep

hey i also have an interview may 11? I was wondering if there were other interviews prior to this one for the september 2012 start date at san marcos or is this the only one.ive seen many posts about a feb.24th interview and was wondering if that was for the may class start or september?

it's most likely for the september start date. June 15th is the deadline to apply for the January 2013 start date, and those interviews are in July.

Can anyone else weigh in on this from experience? What about the positives? There will always be positives and negatives to every school, but I do not want to steer clear of a school based solely on one post made by someone who does have experience...

I had an interview in Feb. for the Fall 2012 start. During the campus tour, I had time to speak to a couple of the current students regarding the long posting above. Both of them agree that clinical affiliation site placement is an issue (not hearing back till 2-3 weeks prior to start). They just recommended to request a site close to where you live.

In addition, they mentioned about the recently admitted class were complaining about student-to-teacher ratio... size was about 75 students....

Just had interview today. For anyone interested it went like this : speaker introduction, small quick tour, then groups split up. Only 12 people at this interview. All cool and nice people who I'm sure have good chances as anyone. Anyway one group interviewed and one group wrote m essay. I interview first and the. Wrote the essay. Pretty generic question- what are adv and disadvantages of the current healthcare. Good luck if anybody in this thread went there today

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app I will accept any pt school at this point. I cannot sleep

Shugo, would you reccomend that a prospective student applies to the SD campus then? Are there any strengths that you would like to share about the program? I was looking into applying this upcoming cycle and have heard multiple mixed reviews regarding the program...

I wrote this post a long time ago when I was really frustrated with the program. I graduated, I past the licensure exam my first try, and when I went looking for a job USA had a good reputation in the community. All the classmates I have kept in touch with will say the same. In the end I think these are the most important things you can ask of your PT school. My lengthy rant had valid points at the time: class sizes were too large for the faculty:student ratio, disorganized at placing students. I can say a pro is you will get a strong education in manual therapy. After graduating I did a residency and fellowship. I thought relative to where my classmates were at USA had done a better job of teaching this content. If you have specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer.
I ended up getting about 2 week notice for one of my internships. That was the shortest advanced notice, the others were a month or more. Unless they have hired more people to help with clinical placements that will continue to be an issue. A good question when you're interviewing could be how far in advance do students know clinical placement? JoAnn Laslovich on SD campus would be the person to ask if she is still there. The program is still associated with Stanley Paris who has a pretty good reputation, that is a small pro for the school. The location is great, nice weather. I left SD once I graduated to be closer to home. With USA pumping 210 PTs a year into the community finding a local job when you're done may be hard. All-in-all if you're a student with lots of choices I would pick the place that was the cheapest, best location for you, smaller class sizes, faculty who are clinicians as well as educators. I forgot to mention that before and it's important, USA faculty are all clinicians as well educators. That is useful for making education clinically applicable. If you get accepted to USA CELLEBRATE! You're on your way to a great career and USA can help you get there.

Last edited: