University of St. Augustine Spring 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cg11092

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else planning on applying for Spring 2017 at USA? The app deadline is June 15 of next year. Yes I'm getting started early with this haha! :)

Also, I have a couple questions for anyone who is familiar with applying to USA.

- Where on the application can we designate that we will be willing to attend any of the campuses?
- Is there any campus(es) that is/are significantly more competitive to get into than the others?
- For those that have received any acceptances to USA, what did your observation hours breakdown look like?
- The observation hours form has the spot where we enter contact info for the person who is to be verifying the hours, but it has no place for us to enter the # of hours -- does this mean the supervisor filling out the form will have to enter the number of hours for us, on their end?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me with these questions!!

Members don't see this ad.

One more thing- I remember the past couple months the USA DPT app page has consistently read that we need 4 references. The page now says we need only 2, am I reading correctly?

I think it's fantastic that you're getting such an early start. I thought I was starting plenty early, a month in advance, but it wasn't enough time, which caused an incredible amount of stress! I can't answer all of your questions definitively, but I'll share what I know. From what I have read, designating that you are open to alternative campuses might be content for your SOP. For observation hours, yes, the individual filling out the form will be the one entering the number of hours. For mine, I let the appropriate people know that they would be receiving the form from the school, and verified that the hours they had on record matched what I personally kept track of.
As for letters of reference, the same thing occurred with the MOT program--4 had always been stated, but when it came down to it, only 2 were required. But I worked hard for the 4, so I submitted them all, so there doesn't seem to be a cap at 2.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's fantastic that you're getting such an early start. I thought I was starting plenty early, a month in advance, but it wasn't enough time, which caused an incredible amount of stress! I can't answer all of your questions definitively, but I'll share what I know. From what I have read, designating that you are open to alternative campuses might be content for your SOP. For observation hours, yes, the individual filling out the form will be the one entering the number of hours. For mine, I let the appropriate people know that they would be receiving the form from the school, and verified that the hours they had on record matched what I personally kept track of.
As for letters of reference, the same thing occurred with the MOT program--4 had always been stated, but when it came down to it, only 2 were required. But I worked hard for the 4, so I submitted them all, so there doesn't seem to be a cap at 2.
Good luck!
Thank you so much for your help!! :)

Interesting thing about spring 2017, is that you will be part of the newer changed curriculum which is arguably alot more fliud than before. Unfortunately this includes an extra semester of internship, which means it could cost an extra semester (14k)

Hi all. I've decided to apply as well. I'm switching from the OT field (just got rejected - lol). I've got a full year of chem and physics to do and will have two prereqs pending during time of application. Hope this doesn't reflect badly on me! I don't know much about USA except for their OT program which isn't ranked. Any information you guys have on their program will be helpful, TIA

Can anyone recommend a school that has physics which isn't calculus based? Will USA accept algebra-based physics, does anyone know? I'm in the OC area. Thanks

I took a trigonometry based physics at San Diego State University. PHYS 180 A & B, I believe. It is a series intended for Bio majors, and the class was full of pre-med, pre-physical therapy, pre-physician assistant students. I know SD is not within a reasonable commute, but I would guess this same class is available at most of the state schools. Good luck!

Anyone else planning on applying for Spring 2017 at USA? The app deadline is June 15 of next year. Yes I'm getting started early with this hah

I'm applying for the spring '17 as well! Good luck!

Last edited:
I have been trying to get in all of my hours, forms, etc in early so there isn't any issues

Last edited:
I have been trying to get in all of my hours, forms, etc in early so there isn't any issues

Same here! Have you been having much luck with getting docs received by admissions and posted on your admissions doc tab? It seems all over the place with uploading times. I had my GRE scores sent on in December and they still have not posted. It took them 6 weeks to post an observation hours form after it was submitted. On the other hand, my official transcript was posted only a week after I had it sent over...

Hi there,

I will be applying as well. I applied to 9 PTCAS schools (Rejected from 5, Interviewed at 1 with no word yet, Waitlisted for an interview at 1, and am waiting to hear back from 2 more this month). My fear is that I will be rejected from all the PTCAS schools. I talked to someone I worked with who is applying to USA-Austin for MOT and she has an interview so I thought I should look into the school for PT.

Campus Designation: Her feedback regarding the campus designation, is that admissions said you can only choose one. However, from looking at previous posts about USA, it seems that others have stated that they applied to all 3 campuses. That being said, reading several threads on here say that admissions are not very helpful.

Competitiveness: Her feedback regarding cohort competitiveness is that the spring tends to be less competitive based on information on the website (which makes sense given the timeline of undergraduates), but when inquired with admissions they said all cohorts are competitive.

Sorry to not provide solid information just hearsay, but its what I have to offer.

I was looking into St Augustine for the either the Summer 2017 or the Fall 2017 semester. I currently live in the Miami area now, so def looking as that as an option because I kind of want to stay around the area unless if I 100 percent have to leave for school somewhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I am also applying to Spring 2017! but I have just one question. On previous forums it states we have to have a autobiography and personal statement. But on the actual application I do not see anything about the autobiography. Can you clarify this please? Thank you so much.

Also I submitted my observation hours in January and I cannot see if my Observers submitted it. How will I know it is completed on their end?

Same here! Have you been having much luck with getting docs received by admissions and posted on your admissions doc tab? It seems all over the place with uploading times. I had my GRE scores sent on in December and they still have not posted. It took them 6 weeks to post an observation hours form after it was submitted. On the other hand, my official transcript was posted only a week after I had it sent over...
about the same for me. Some docs have posted really quick while others take forever.....

Campus Designation: Her feedback regarding the campus designation, is that admissions said you can only choose one. However, from looking at previous posts about USA, it seems that others have stated that they applied to all 3 campuses. That being said, reading several threads on here say that admissions are not very helpful.

I received an email saying you could only apply to one campus when I asked an advisor.

Does anyone know anything about this increase in tuition starting 2017 cohort? A friend of mine at the San Marcos campus warned me that in order to keep their accreditation status they have to add a trimester, thus increasing time in program and tuition.

Hey all, I'll be applying to the Spring 2017 DPT program in San Marcos, good luck to all of you! From what I'm aware of, they assess your: cumulative GPA, pre-req GPA, science GPA and trend GPA when reviewing your application. Does anyone know how they calculate GPA in general and what their definition of cumulative and trend GPA are?

Hey all, I'll be applying to the Spring 2017 DPT program in San Marcos, good luck to all of you! From what I'm aware of, they assess your: cumulative GPA, pre-req GPA, science GPA and trend GPA when reviewing your application. Does anyone know how they calculate GPA in general and what their definition of cumulative and trend GPA are?
Hello,

From what Colleen Lyons have told me is that the admissions team uses the highest GPA for your prereq classes and their definition for trend GPA is to see if you have improved or maintained a high GPA from your lower division classes through your upper division classes.

Reactions: 1 user
To those applying to the San Marcos campus, who are you guys contacting with to address any questions/make sure documents are being received? I've been dealing with Carolynn Perryman, but there have been times where she wasn't able to answer some of my questions - which makes me a bit weary of the answers she's provided for the questions that she could answer...

My hours were submitted and popped up on my application when they were verified by my observer......not sure if it's the observer or the application

Didn't get into any of the schools I applied to this time around so I'm shooting for the Spring 2017 term at the USA Fl. campus. My GRE score is 298 and I intend to take it once more, but not sure if I will have time to prepare before the deadline. My undergrad gpa is 3.24, post-bacc gpa is 3.52, overall gpa is 3.30, pre-req gpa is 3.13 (currently taking physics II). Hoping not all is lost!!

I am applying as well to the Austin campus. Completed my application about a week ago so fingers crossed!

Hi all! Was wondering if anyone knows if 1) USA is rolling admission based and 2) if there is an application fee

Its been about a month since I sent my transcripts, and GRE but still nothing...anyone with similar problems?

Its been about a month since I sent my transcripts, and GRE but still nothing...anyone with similar problems?

Yep. They posted my GRE from last year when I applied. I sent in my recent results on the GRE and it still hasn't been changed. My letters of recommendations are not up either. Does your profile show that your letters of recommendations have been submitted?

Hey guys, I was accepted into University of St. Augustine - San Marcos campus for Fall 2016. This forum helped me a lot since it was my first time applying and I had pretty low undergrad GPA, so I figured I'll help out and try to answer your guys' questions! Let me know if you guys have any other questions and I'll try to get to them when I can :)

Anyone else planning on applying for Spring 2017 at USA? The app deadline is June 15 of next year. Yes I'm getting started early with this haha! :)

Also, I have a couple questions for anyone who is familiar with applying to USA.

- Where on the application can we designate that we will be willing to attend any of the campuses?
- Is there any campus(es) that is/are significantly more competitive to get into than the others?
- For those that have received any acceptances to USA, what did your observation hours breakdown look like?
- The observation hours form has the spot where we enter contact info for the person who is to be verifying the hours, but it has no place for us to enter the # of hours -- does this mean the supervisor filling out the form will have to enter the number of hours for us, on their end?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me with these questions!!

1. This one was a gray area for me. I was in a tough spot so I figured I'd attend any campus that accepted me; however, I could not find out where to do so? Many advisors told me to indicate it on my "Statement of Purpose", but that was the only answer I could obtain. The advisors are all on different campuses and it does not seem like they communicate with one another often.
2. I believe the St. Augustine campus is the most competitive since it is the original. Also, Spring is the least competitive cycle from what I was told by advisors.
3. I had a total of 1200 hours. I worked in a hospital chain in Las Vegas that allowed me to work per diem at three different hospitals, so I had hours equally split into: hospital-attached outpatient, inpatient acute, and inpatient rehab. I also shadowed outside of work at an inpatient rehab hospital (HealthSouth).
4. Yes, you're absolutely right! If you shadowed a physical therapist, most likely he/she will just ask if you've kept track of your hours or if the facility has a log of your hours and they'd happily sign off on it. If you've worked a tech, then your hours will be logged by clock-in/clock-out, so that's self explanatory.

One more thing- I remember the past couple months the USA DPT app page has consistently read that we need 4 references. The page now says we need only 2, am I reading correctly?
Yes, you're correct! You'll need 1 PT, 1 faculty reference or 2 PT references. I had 2 PTs for mine and it was fine :)

Can anyone recommend a school that has physics which isn't calculus based? Will USA accept algebra-based physics, does anyone know? I'm in the OC area. Thanks
If you're like me and not a huge fan of physics, you'll be happy to know that St. Augustine allows 1 semester of biomechanics as a substitution for 1 semester of physics. Also, you do not need calculus-based physics (engineering physics). I only took pre-med physics (PHYS 152 at UNLV) and it was purely algebra based.

Hi there,

I will be applying as well. I applied to 9 PTCAS schools (Rejected from 5, Interviewed at 1 with no word yet, Waitlisted for an interview at 1, and am waiting to hear back from 2 more this month). My fear is that I will be rejected from all the PTCAS schools. I talked to someone I worked with who is applying to USA-Austin for MOT and she has an interview so I thought I should look into the school for PT.

Competitiveness: Her feedback regarding cohort competitiveness is that the spring tends to be less competitive based on information on the website (which makes sense given the timeline of undergraduates), but when inquired with admissions they said all cohorts are competitive.

Sorry to not provide solid information just hearsay, but its what I have to offer.
If you did not apply to U of St. Augustine this cycle, I would strongly recommend you to do so for the next! I was rejected for all of my PTCAS school applications :( I did not like how PTCAS averaged all of my grades and did not have academic forgiveness. Obviously it was my fault, but I lacked focus in my initial years and fell way below a 2.5GPA at one point. I made it up with nearly 4.0 GPA for my last 60 credits. Thankfully, U of St Augustine allowed academic forgiveness and calculated GPA with highest grades.

Hi I am also applying to Spring 2017! but I have just one question. On previous forums it states we have to have a autobiography and personal statement. But on the actual application I do not see anything about the autobiography. Can you clarify this please? Thank you so much.

Also I submitted my observation hours in January and I cannot see if my Observers submitted it. How will I know it is completed on their end?
You'll only need to do the personal statement. They no longer require an autobiography for the application. Also, if your submissions are not shown as "submitted" or "accepted", definitely reach out to your campus's advisors constantly until they accept it on their end. If there is a blank next to the item, it means that they have not accepted it and that your application may not move forward until it's done!

For my application, they only looked at trend GPA and pre-req GPA. For the trend, it was either last 45 or last 60 credits taken, I cannot recall. For the pre-req, it was very similar classes to most other schools, BUT St Augustine allows for a few substitutions as I mentioned above. Also, they'll take the highest grade out that you received in your pre-reqs rather than averaging them. In my case, it made a dramatic difference in GPA calculations. PTCAS calculated my pGPA as 2.68 while St. Augustine calculated my pGPA at around 3.80. The reason was because I have retaken every single one of my pre-reqs for PT school.

To those applying to the San Marcos campus, who are you guys contacting with to address any questions/make sure documents are being received? I've been dealing with Carolynn Perryman, but there have been times where she wasn't able to answer some of my questions - which makes me a bit weary of the answers she's provided for the questions that she could answer...
For my application to San Marcos, I primarily kept in contact with Carolyn Perryman through phone call. I rarely emailed anyone and preferred a direct answer. She did seem the same way about certain questions that I had as well, perhaps she's newer? I noticed that they had a bit of a high turnover rate for advisors before by looking at previous year's student handbooks. However, she was pretty good at either answering right away or returning my call. I always called around 9:00AM to 12:00PM Pacific time.

Hi all! Was wondering if anyone knows if 1) USA is rolling admission based and 2) if there is an application fee
Hello, USA is NOT rolling admissions. Although there are 3 different cycles, the school will not review applications until after the deadline passes (and trust me, it's a lot longer than after the deadline passes because they will still be reviewing the previous cycle's stuff). I believe that there was no application fee because I cannot remember paying anything after I submitted all my materials, but there's definitely a $500.00 deposit to confirm your acceptance if you receive admission!

Yep. They posted my GRE from last year when I applied. I sent in my recent results on the GRE and it still hasn't been changed. My letters of recommendations are not up either. Does your profile show that your letters of recommendations have been submitted?

I may have answered this in my other post, but please reach out to your school's advisors! I applied two months early for the Fall 2016 class and was in the same boat. I was wondering if they had received any of my materials because there was nothing listed next to my submissions. If your submissions are not shown as "submitted" or "accepted" and there is a blank next to the item, it means that they have NOT ACCEPTED it and that your application may not move forward until it's done! I say "may" because it seems like some people have received interviews with some materials missing; however, I would not risk it.

Oh! Also, even though I applied to San Marcos, they told me that GRE and transcripts should all be going to the St. Augustine address anyway since it was the main processing hub! I didn't know this and originally sent my first transcript to San Marcos and they never received it. I would confirm with your school if that's the case. It took about a month for them to process my new transcript and my GRE scores @_@ so definitely be on top of it!

Hey everyone. I will be applying as well! I had a concern- I won't be taking my GRE until May 17th and I am worried that this might hurt my chance of acceptance because I probably will not be able to send the scores until very close to the deadline. So far, all of my references and hours are stated on my app and it was updated pretty quickly.

What are everyones stats? Im nervous that my GRE isnt strong enough :(

Last edited:
Hi all!

I just finished up my master's in Motor Learning and am hoping to apply to USA for the spring 2017 cohort.

I'm really having a tough time deciding between which campus to choose! I would love to hear from current students at both the San Marcos campus and FL campus. I've read some reviews but still haven't been able to decide. Any advantages/disadvantages of attending a certain campus?

Thanks in advance!

I may have answered this in my other post, but please reach out to your school's advisors! I applied two months early for the Fall 2016 class and was in the same boat. I was wondering if they had received any of my materials because there was nothing listed next to my submissions. If your submissions are not shown as "submitted" or "accepted" and there is a blank next to the item, it means that they have NOT ACCEPTED it and that your application may not move forward until it's done! I say "may" because it seems like some people have received interviews with some materials missing; however, I would not risk it.

Oh! Also, even though I applied to San Marcos, they told me that GRE and transcripts should all be going to the St. Augustine address anyway since it was the main processing hub! I didn't know this and originally sent my first transcript to San Marcos and they never received it. I would confirm with your school if that's the case. It took about a month for them to process my new transcript and my GRE scores @_@ so definitely be on top of it!

Hi Edification! Everything you posted was super helpful! I am debating applying to either San Marcos or Austin for Spring 2017! I was just wondering how you like the San Marcos campus? And if you would be willing to share your stats!? :)
Im super nervous about applying. I have not gotten into any PTCAS schools i applied to. I am currently on a waitlist and have two interviews coming up for schools!

Hi Edification! Everything you posted was super helpful! I am debating applying to either San Marcos or Austin for Spring 2017! I was just wondering how you like the San Marcos campus? And if you would be willing to share your stats!? :)
Im super nervous about applying. I have not gotten into any PTCAS schools i applied to. I am currently on a waitlist and have two interviews coming up for schools!

Hey I will be starting in Austin next week!! I really liked the campus and faculty when I was there for my interview. Keep in mind that the San Marcos campus is the most expensive (they are all pricey) but the cost of living is the highest of all the campuses! Good luck!

Hey I will be starting in Austin next week!! I really liked the campus and faculty when I was there for my interview. Keep in mind that the San Marcos campus is the most expensive (they are all pricey) but the cost of living is the highest of all the campuses! Good luck!

Oh congrats!! I spoke to an advisor at the Austin campus the other day and she has me really nervous about applying! Do you mind sharing your stats?! I put off applying for the Fall since it is supposedly more competitive than the Spring and i originally thought there was supposed to be 4 references and now it says two.
Yeah I have heard that the San Marcos campus is the most expensive since it is California! I also heard that Austin & San Marcos get less applications than the Florida campuses, do you know if that is the case?

Prereq: 3.4 with retakes
Cumulative: 3.2
Last 45: 3.7ish?
What about yours??

Pre-req: 3.5 with retakes & a class pending in fall
Cum: 3.2
Last 45: is probably around a 3.8
GRE: 292 & 4.0 writing
Observation hours: over 1,500

Im really nervous that my GRE is too low & my cum gpa!
Ive also seen on other forums that they don't look at + & - on grades, so a B+ would just be a B....does anyone know if that is the case?

I have about the same stats as both of you. Pre req GPA 3.43
CumGpa 3.3
Trend GPA 3.7
I heard that they don't use + or - from someone on a previous forum but I feel that if you have a B+ that would just hurt your score if they drop it to a B. Also for the trend GPA I believe they look at your upper classman courses

They just called me and told me they have two new pre reqs.
Human or Child Development over Lifespan 3 credits
Medical Terminology 1 credit

For Human or child developement over lifespan.. is that the same as

PSYCHOLOGY OF HUMAN DEVELOPMNT

I am going to be taking developmental Psychology for this prerequisite and was told by my adviser that this will work for the Human or Child Development over Lifespan. So I believe that Psychology of Human Development is fine.

Ive also seen on other forums that they don't look at + & - on grades, so a B+ would just be a B....does anyone know if that is the case?
I am nervous as well:/! On the other USA blogs I've seen many ppl that posted their stars with around the same GPA and they got in. On the website It says that the average to get an interview is a 3.4. But yea I am at the borderline so it's just really hard to predict. As far as the gre I'm taking it on May 7th. I'm worried that they look at apps based on when ppl submit them and for minewon't be able to until really close to then deadline cuzz of my final grades.

Wait really?? And they have to be completed before this June deadline? I have been keeping in touch with my advisor (san marcos) for a month now and she has not once told me about this

I am nervous as well:/! On the other USA blogs I've seen many ppl that posted their stars with around the same GPA and they got in. On the website It says that the average to get an interview is a 3.4. But yea I am at the borderline so it's just really hard to predict. As far as the gre I'm taking it on May 7th. I'm worried that they look at apps based on when ppl submit them and for minewon't be able to until really close to then deadline cuzz of my final grades.

Hey, here are my stats. Maybe they'll help you feel a little better.

CummGPA: 2.89 (not including my prereqs, just what i got when i graduated UCI)
Prereq GPA: 4.0 (all taken at community college)
GRE: 313 & 4.0 writing
Observation Hours: 150 inpatient, 200 Outpatient Clinic

I applied for Fall 2016 Flex DPT at the San Marcos campus. I actually didn't even turn in my application till mid-February, 2 months past the actual deadline. I guess I got lucky because i was just inquiring about the Spring application but they said they were still accepting apps for Fall so I was able to turn everything in right away. Anyways, I was pretty nervous about my cumm gpa but they still offered me an interview and I got accepted last Friday. When I spoke to one of the advisors she assured me that they take into consideration all your stats so even though i had a lower college GPA, my prereq GPA and GRE scores would still help me be a competitive candidate.

I don't think turning your app in close to the deadline will hurt your chances but you could always speak to your adviser and ask them what they think. For your GRE, I would aim for a combined score higher than 300. I believe thats the min score for a lot of schools so if you could get above that, I think it would help you be competitive.

Ok best of luck to everyone!

When do you think is the latest we should submit the pieces of the application? I've heard at least a month but that would be coming up pretty soon

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was planning on applying this summer. My school does not offer medical terminology. Is my only option to take it during the summer somewhere in order to apply?

Who told you that? ive been communicating with about 4 advisors and nobody told me that! And it wasn't on the prerequisite worksheet! :(

Hey, here are my stats. Maybe they'll help you feel a little better.

CummGPA: 2.89 (not including my prereqs, just what i got when i graduated UCI)
Prereq GPA: 4.0 (all taken at community college)
GRE: 313 & 4.0 writing
Observation Hours: 150 inpatient, 200 Outpatient Clinic

I applied for Fall 2016 Flex DPT at the San Marcos campus. I actually didn't even turn in my application till mid-February, 2 months past the actual deadline. I guess I got lucky because i was just inquiring about the Spring application but they said they were still accepting apps for Fall so I was able to turn everything in right away. Anyways, I was pretty nervous about my cumm gpa but they still offered me an interview and I got accepted last Friday. When I spoke to one of the advisors she assured me that they take into consideration all your stats so even though i had a lower college GPA, my prereq GPA and GRE scores would still help me be a competitive candidate.

I don't think turning your app in close to the deadline will hurt your chances but you could always speak to your adviser and ask them what they think. For your GRE, I would aim for a combined score higher than 300. I believe thats the min score for a lot of schools so if you could get above that, I think it would help you be competitive.

Ok best of luck to everyone!

You start at san marcos in the fall?! Congrats! I am debating applying to San Marcos & Austin! What made you choose San Marcos?

Your pre-req gpa & gre is really good! A lot better than mine! But thank you for sharing your stats. I plan on retaking my GRE, Yvette from the Austin campus told me it would be a good idea and she could hold off on having them review my application so I could retake it!

Did you have any classes in progress after you applied? I am retaking a chem class to get a better grade in the fall and im hoping it wont be held against me since I am applying for Spring?

You start at san marcos in the fall?! Congrats! I am debating applying to San Marcos & Austin! What made you choose San Marcos?

Your pre-req gpa & gre is really good! A lot better than mine! But thank you for sharing your stats. I plan on retaking my GRE, Yvette from the Austin campus told me it would be a good idea and she could hold off on having them review my application so I could retake it!

Did you have any classes in progress after you applied? I am retaking a chem class to get a better grade in the fall and im hoping it wont be held against me since I am applying for Spring?

I'm from California, and specifically, around the San Marcos area so thats' pretty much why. I didn't apply to any schools out of state.

I had everything complete before I applied so I didn't anything in progress. I don't think retaking classes will count against you since they allow you to have a class or two in progress while you apply.

Gluck on the GRE. Keep truckin!

Do not worry to much over the GRE scores. I have seen individuals from previous forums with as low as a 286 get into the program. They look at you as a whole as in what have you been doing while you have been enrolled at school like jobs and extracurriculars , honors programs, grades of course, and the essay.

I'm from California, and specifically, around the San Marcos area so thats' pretty much why. I didn't apply to any schools out of state.

I had everything complete before I applied so I didn't anything in progress. I don't think retaking classes will count against you since they allow you to have a class or two in progress while you apply.

Gluck on the GRE. Keep truckin!

Thank you! I am from the East coast so it would be a big move for me. So I am just trying to see if anyone has opinions on one campus versus another!