University of St. Augustine???

Started by NDH
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know I may sound naive, but why all the fuss of USA? How is their pass rate in comparison to other schools? What makes them so prestigious? I feel like their admission requirements are fairly lenient in comparison other programs considered prestigious in physical therapy (Pitt, USC, UF, Emory..)

Not to mention the cost...around $10 grand per trimester? and 7 trimesters? Isn't USA private?

I am not trying to down anyone on USA. Like I said, I am just trying to understand what makes it so desirable.

Thanks!🙂
 
Well, I would consider applying to USA St. Augustine because for one I would like to stay close to home, which USA is like 3 hours away from Tallahassee. I would go to FAMU if they would accept me-I cant believe I was put on the waitlist twice now..yeah I have a 3.0 GPA but their NPTE passing rate is 60%...nevermind about them.

USA has multiple entrance terms (Fall, Spring, Summer).
7 trimesters (Semesters) vs. 9 semesters with most schools.
10k x 7 semesters = 70K compared to other private schools which which run about 90K

What lenient qualifications are you talking about. The only reason Im having a hard time applying to USA is because they are asking for 4 LORs (2 from PT, 1 from Professor, 1 from whoever non family) and I feel like Im annoying the PTs ive shadowed with the amount of LORs ive asked them to fill out already.

And yeah, private school do cost more, what did you mean by adding that?
 
Well the LORs for USA are basically forms that you give them to fill out, right? I don't think the PTs would be annoyed...that's what they're there for..among other things. What I did was ask them to fill out a rec for PTCAS as well as provide me a hardcopy for schools that don't use PTCAS. They didn't seem to mind.

I mean, I don't know. I'm applying to USA too because of location (I too, am from Tallahassee), but I personally do not feel a great desire to go there...but maybe that will change.

One of the PTs I've been shadowing this past summer went to FAMU and I asked her if she enjoyed it and if it was worth it and she told me no. She told me about their low pass rate and how hard it was for her to pass her boards because she didn't feel as if she was properly trained. She also elaborated that the professors would be late on a regular basis, while not being readily available for any outside help and frequently canceled office hours. She also didn't like that it was an MPT program and they did the curriculum of a DPT program. I'm not trying to discourage you, but it seems as if you made the right decision in foregoing them.

I was just clarifying that USA was indeed a private school...I wasn't really going anywhere else with that. I suppose in the long run, debt is debt and there are loan forgiveness programs out there, so I don't know where I was headed with the direction of my questioning.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And yes, it is a shorter program with three admission entry points in a year. You can easily defer admission to another term.

So I'm hoping for the best, but yes I am pretty sick over the debt. A recent graduate spoke at an informational session, and she told us she had $150,000 in debt!

They also do not offer health insurance or on campus living. These are things to consider if you have more options (namely if you have competitive scores).

But hey, I know two people who really enjoyed the program.
 
Last edited:
I know I may sound naive, but why all the fuss of USA? How is their pass rate in comparison to other schools? What makes them so prestigious? I feel like their admission requirements are fairly lenient in comparison other programs considered prestigious in physical therapy (Pitt, USC, UF, Emory..)

Not to mention the cost...around $10 grand per trimester? and 7 trimesters? Isn't USA private?

I am not trying to down anyone on USA. Like I said, I am just trying to understand what makes it so desirable.

Thanks!🙂

If you're truly considering the PT profession, it would make sense to make yourself very knowledgable about all aspects of the profession as best as you can - PT programs, the politics, etc. So visit www.apta.org and spend a lot of time there, you'll learn a lot.

To answer Nole's question, "Why all the fuss about USA?"

It's because it's a great school, period. How many schools out there that are ONLY PT/OT schools? Not that many, and therefore, all of this schools time/effort/money goes towards the improvement of the PT/OT programs.

  1. Any time there are any changes required by the APTA in curriculum, USA is usually the first to adopt these changes because it is JUST a PT/OT school.
  2. Again, if you look at the APTA website, you'll see NPTE pass rates/employment rates for all the schools - last time I looked, USA was 80-90% 1st attempt, 100% 2nd attempt.
  3. The program was put together with help from Stanley Paris (founder and former President), who is one of this professions key figures. I believe he still teaches, but recently stepped down from President and is "semi" retired.
  4. The program is highly manual therapy based, and as a student, you will come out of the program with the best manual therapy skills (as a new grad) in the country when compared to any other new grad from other programs in the country.
  5. I'm not sure on the cost anymore, but when I started (in 2005) the program was actually below average for cost of attendance. However, cost of living in St. Augustine FL is higher than average and therefore a lot of your expenses are not school related.
  6. As I stated in an earlier post, you finish in 7 semesters, vs 9 for most DPT programs. Therefore, the program is very intense (avg 21+ credit hours per semester) and fast paced.
  7. Because you finish in 7 semesters, you're out ready to work 8 months faster than most DPT programs. Depending on the job you take, you will make $40-60k before students from other programs will graduate.
  8. Manual therapy again, you graduate with all the requirements to sit for the Manual Therapy Certification (MTC), you only need to practice for 6 months to sit for the exam. In most cases, if you get certified, you will get a raise from your employer.
  9. All of the manual therapy techniqes are based off of biomechanics, therefore, it re-emphasizes the anatomy and biomechanics.
  10. It's freakin' St. Augustine (or San Diego), great location. Most of the teachers are pretty cool, and if you like Ultimate Frisbee Dr. Rot at St. Augustine plays every weekend.
 
Thanks rcheeley, your input has definitely given me a broader scope. I do admit, I am still doing research on the multiple facets PT has to offer (decided on PT about...3 months ago?) so this definitely helps.

And yeah, St. Aug is pretty awesome. And being only 3 hours away is pretty appealing...
 
I am in the process of applying for the dual program at USA for the Summer 2011 Term. I live in St. Augustine and becase of cancer and guardian to two beautiful children who mother just pass away due to cancer too. I can only apply to St. Augustine. I will be taking the GRE for the first time this month and have not study at all. My overall status is fair and hopeing that this will be enough for them to consider if my GRE score is low....
I was wondering if anyone is nice enough to allow me to read their essays for USA. I would like get some insight. Also I have finish mine and would like to know if anyone can read and edit it for me. Thank you.
 
anyone else turn in their application! i suck at writing, i am nervous about my personal statement and autobiography.
 
Sent my application into U.S.A. a little over a week ago and everything is in! I'm a little nervous because, unfortunately, I SUCK at standardized tests and failed to recieve a GRE score over 1000. However, I talked with them and they told me that as long as I appear to be well qualified I can still be admitted into the program. So I have my fingers and toes crossed! My overall GPA is a 3.4 and my prereq GPA is a 2.25. I have 4 great recomendation letters and plenty of experience within the field. I know for a fact that physical therapy is what I want to do with my life and hopefully, through my essays they will see that and at least give me the chance to interview with them! But just to ease my nerves, what do you guys think are my chances taking everything into consideration? Good luck to all =)
 
Sent my application into U.S.A. a little over a week ago and everything is in! I'm a little nervous because, unfortunately, I SUCK at standardized tests and failed to recieve a GRE score over 1000. However, I talked with them and they told me that as long as I appear to be well qualified I can still be admitted into the program. So I have my fingers and toes crossed! My overall GPA is a 3.4 and my prereq GPA is a 2.25. I have 4 great recomendation letters and plenty of experience within the field. I know for a fact that physical therapy is what I want to do with my life and hopefully, through my essays they will see that and at least give me the chance to interview with them! But just to ease my nerves, what do you guys think are my chances taking everything into consideration? Good luck to all =)

From reading a lot of posts on here it seems like St. Augustine doesn't just go by grades, which is nice. I'm not sure what your GRE score is, but what would concern me more than that is your prereq GPA-some schools consider that to be an indication of how you will do in the program, since it's mainly science, I'd say if you get an interview be prepared to explain. Also, your overall GPA is fine, but I think Saint Augustine looks at your GPA of your last 60 credits, if it's better than your overall, so that might help you if it is better - either way a 3.4 is fine.
Good luck! I'm applying to their Fall 2011 class. Do they interview everyone? If not, hopefully you get an interview so you can show them how much you want it. Did you apply to any other schools?
 
when do they usually start calling people for interviews? how many weeks/days after the deadline.
 
The beauty of St. Augustine is that they don't just look at numbers. They look at your letters, your experience, and how you interview. I deferred my admission from the fall to May 2011, so hopefully I'll see you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got an email inviting me to come participate in the personal interview for the May 2011 DPT class! So excited because U.S.A. is my top school and I really would love to go there! My stats aren't the best, so I think comparing yourself to me it seems like you will have a great shot of getting an interview as well!
 
Congrat on gettin an interview with USA. I just send in my application last week with a very low stat. Hopefully, I can get lucky and get an interview too. How long did it take them to reply to you? I'm so nervous right now. I'm retaking my GRE at the end of the month. Hopefully, this time i can pass it with 1000.
 
wow congratz.... did any of you guys get a confirmation email saying they received your application?? my post office said it got there on the 1st.. or do they just send you an email for interviews..
 
My Gre was not very high either, so there is hope! I sent my application out around September 15th. They receieved it and had it processed about a week and a half later. I got an email saying that they received it all too. I talked with some of the people in the admissions department and as long as everything was postmarked by Oct. 1st, you should be ok! I actually got an email from them on Monday inviting me to the personal interview, so I was quite surprised they were so speedy! Goodluck to all!
 
Tsd06, Did you apply to the San Marcos campus or St. Augustine FL campus? I received my interview invite today for the San Marcos campus.
 
when i applied last semester it got there the date it was due.. a few days later i got a confirmation and it was 10 days after it got there when i got the interview email. dont sweat it.
 
I was notified today that I have an interview November 19th at St. Augustine! I am soooo excited but even more nervous! ANY help, tips and stress-relieving stories shared would be very much appreciated! I already see a lot of posting about the interview process but any extra tips would be great! Also, does anyone know about how many people are chosen for the interview process and the chances of getting in/waitlisted if given an interview? Especially for Summer trimester, I heard it is the smallest applicant class. Thanks in advance for any input!
 
The day begins with an assembly for all the applicants in a large room. Dr. Paris speaks to the group as well as current USA students. You are allowed to ask them questions about the program, etc. Then, the essay portion of the interview takes place. You're not given the topic until that day, and then you have to go next door and write the essay. After that, the group breaks up into 2 groups: 1 goes on a campus tour, the other goes for their interviews. The interview was myself, another student, a current USA student, and a faculty member. The interview was pretty relaxed, and they really just want to get to know you.
I heard about 12 days after my interview (12 loooooong days). You are sent a letter in the mail if denied, an email if waitlisted, and they call you if you are accepted. Best of luck and let me know if you have any more questions!
 
@LA2 when did you turn in your application? if you dont mind me asking...

I mailed mine Sept 15, they sent me an email that they received it Sept 22. I mailed it from the Midwest, so I'm not sure how long it took for them to actually process it. Hopefully you hear something soon! Did you apply to the San Marcos campus too?
 
The day begins with an assembly for all the applicants in a large room. Dr. Paris speaks to the group as well as current USA students. You are allowed to ask them questions about the program, etc. Then, the essay portion of the interview takes place. You're not given the topic until that day, and then you have to go next door and write the essay. After that, the group breaks up into 2 groups: 1 goes on a campus tour, the other goes for their interviews. The interview was myself, another student, a current USA student, and a faculty member. The interview was pretty relaxed, and they really just want to get to know you.
I heard about 12 days after my interview (12 loooooong days). You are sent a letter in the mail if denied, an email if waitlisted, and they call you if you are accepted. Best of luck and let me know if you have any more questions!

DocBallerina, do you remember what time you ended up leaving after your interview? I might have to fly back to the Midwest out of San Diego that night, and I wanted to make sure I gave myself plenty of time. It starts at 10am, I'm not sure if that's the same every year. Also, are you starting at the St. Augustine campus in May 2011 or San Marcos? I saw in an earlier post you deferred your acceptance.
 
Just sent in my application last week (right before the deadline) for Summer 11 at San Marcos. I got an email confirming it was received. Now I am anxiously waiting to hear back if I have an interview... :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sent in my app for May 2011 last week & received an email today about the interview on Nov. 15! Yay! 🙂
 
DocBallerina - When you interviewed with the other student, was it at all competitive having the other student there? Did they ask you the same or different questions?

Thanks in advance!
 
Sent in my app for May 2011 last week & received an email today about the interview on Nov. 15! Yay! 🙂

Congrats on the interview, I'm assuming it's for the San Marcos campus because that's the date of my interview there. I asked Dian about the time frame and she said to plan on 10am-2pm, in case you were wondering too. Maybe I'll see you there! Good Luck!!
 
DocBallerina - When you interviewed with the other student, was it at all competitive having the other student there? Did they ask you the same or different questions?

Thanks in advance!


I don't think it was really competitive. There were a few questions where I kind of butted in to answer first because I wanted them to hear my ideas and not have to repeat them if she had the same answer...so maybe a little...🙂
As far as the questions, they asked us the same ones, so one of us would answer and then the other.
 
Just got my interview invite for nov 15!! Such a relief! St Augustine is my top choice and I'm thrilled! Good luck everyone
 
I don't think it was really competitive. There were a few questions where I kind of butted in to answer first because I wanted them to hear my ideas and not have to repeat them if she had the same answer...so maybe a little...🙂
As far as the questions, they asked us the same ones, so one of us would answer and then the other.


Thanks for the info, that's good to know!
 
I just got accepted to the dual program in SD for the summer 2011 term. I was wondering are there any current students in this program that can share their experience? I'm debating whether or not to wait and hear from other schools, or just go ahead and go with this school?

I had my interview last month, it was from 10-1pm, and not bad at all. I just did not like the group interview with other students and the panel, I felt I did bad, however looks like I did good as they accepted me (haha). Just be prepared to answer common questions.

And a question for current students in SD, where do you guys reside and how do you find roommates that go to the same school? I'm curious to know about this information.
 
Runnergrl530: Congrat !!! I send in my application two weeks ago and still haven't heard anything from them. Do you mind letting us know your Stat?
 
Runnergrl530: Congrat !!! I send in my application two weeks ago and still haven't heard anything from them. Do you mind letting us know your Stat?

Which term did you apply for? I'm sure you'll hear soon, you can always email them to check on your application status, that's what I did.

My stats:

Overall GPA 3.0
Prereqs GPA: 3.3
GRE 950

Like everyone says, they don't just look at your grades, they look at you overall as a person and student, which is why its important to go to the interview.
 
Thank you. I got an email from the school right after I wrote you that message. I got invited for an interview on Nov 19th....so excited...I apply for the May 2011 term for the St. Augustine campus..how about yoU?
 
I have the opposite misgivings/nervousness about USA...I have good grades (3.65 overall; 4.0 for prereqs, although I still have to take second semester physics and chem, lol) and a 1340 on the GRE...BUT, I don't have any extra-curriculars! 🙁

And I'm coming from an entirely different field (technical theater) which has nothing to do with PT. So the fact that they 'look at the whole person' actually depresses me. I've worked so hard academically, but I feel like I don't stand a chance compared to all these people who have thousands of hours working in a PT clinic and/or a health-related background and a zillion impressive leadership positions. Who wants someone that has worked in theater for the past five years and whose only semi-related extra-curricular is volunteering at a camp for kids with disabilities? Probably not USA, unfortunately for me. 🙁
 
Vinganca, i looked at your other posts and see you are in ot school? are you definitely switching over to OT??? If you dont mind me asking why did you decide to??? Did you apply to st aug for may??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got my interview invite for nov 15!! Such a relief! St Augustine is my top choice and I'm thrilled! Good luck everyone

Hi! I also have an interview but mine is on November 19th... Do you know how many seperate interview days they are doing or the number of people who are being interviewed? I see a few people with interviews on the 15th, that is surprising they are doing it on a Tuesday, it could have something to do with people that are located closer to the school? Getting close though, I am so nervous! Good Luck!
 
Hi! I also have an interview but mine is on November 19th... Do you know how many seperate interview days they are doing or the number of people who are being interviewed? I see a few people with interviews on the 15th, that is surprising they are doing it on a Tuesday, it could have something to do with people that are located closer to the school? Getting close though, I am so nervous! Good Luck!

My interview is on the 15th as well... I don't think it has anything to do with ppl being close to the school because I'm in Fresno which is 6 hours away. Ahhh it is close! Good luck! 🙂
 
Hi! I also have an interview but mine is on November 19th... Do you know how many seperate interview days they are doing or the number of people who are being interviewed? I see a few people with interviews on the 15th, that is surprising they are doing it on a Tuesday, it could have something to do with people that are located closer to the school? Getting close though, I am so nervous! Good Luck!

Which campus are you interviewing at? Mine is in San Marcos- if you are interviewing in St. Augustine maybe thats why the dates are different? I'm also curious as to how many people will be there. Good luck to you too!
 
I am interviewing at the St. Augustine Campus, I live 5 hours away in Columbia, SC... I wish I knew how many people got interviews so I could ease my mind a little! I am gonna be a wreck that Friday morning! Haha