University of Texas at Austin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my rejection letter yesterday. Thankfully I have been accepted elsewhere! Good luck to you all.
sorry to hear about UT, but I'm glad you were accepted somewhere else! :)

Members don't see this ad.

To lay the NAPLEX passing rate question to rest, here is the link to the direct source:
http://www.nabp.net/index.html?target=/competency/8473914400naplexr.asp&

Statistical Analysis of NAPLEX
TM Passing Rates for First-time Candidates per Pharmacy School from 2003 to 2007

University of Texas at Austin​

2003 98.99%
2004 100.00%
2005 94.12%
2006 95.87%
2007 100.00%
Total: 97.64%​

I don't see a marked decline anywhere except maybe going from '04 to '05, either way thee are still good rates.​

Hmmm... I wonder what that 76% people were mentioning was about. If that number is real, then I guess that would include people who aren't taking the exam for the first time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's pull myself out of the equation and say that I had a bad interview or that something else was wrong. There is still the question of why some people get in with no pharmacy experience or no extracurriculars. Those gaps should keep them from getting into UT, shouldn't they? If not, then why do some people need those things?

Oh I missed this earlier--I for one was one of those people who had no extracurriculars. While I was very active during my first undergraduate career, this time I spent most of my time on school, work, and volunteering and wasn't really a part of any organizations beyond 1 semester. To give you some idea: I generally have been taking 7-10 credit hours, working 20 hours as a tech (slowed down quite a bit now,) 20 hours as an accountant (yay for my first degree,) trying to volunteer about 8 hours per week (also slowed down now, but was usually assisting a Consultant Pharmacist at nursing homes,) and taking care of my grandmother 1-2 weekdays per week (also thankfully has gotten better!)

So I was pretty busy, and none of these really count as "stats"--it may also look like I only have 20 hrs/wk of tech experience, so not all the pieces of the puzzle are readily evident to someone who doesn't know me or hasn't asked about my entire schedule. This can also hold true for people who got accepted with no experience--I'm assuming that people who got accepted without experience had something similar going on in terms of their schedule, family circumstances,or had medical volunteer experience (overseas maybe like GMT--that program is pretty cool...) Of course there will be a handful who get in based on connections or legacy, but I don't think it's a growing trend.

Just wanted to give another perspective. :)

RN2Pharmacy, sent you a PM w/my email--based on what you've been saying I can already tell one area that might have been an issue...but is easily fixed! :D

What I have come to learn however, is that humbling yourself before your interviewer must be a huge part of it, because people who I know who had great numbers but had a cocky attitude at the interview weren't accepted.
best advice out there, broseph

I was allowed to see my LORs after they were sent, and I was pleased with what was written.

Did you waive your right to see them? Sometimes UT Pharmacy frowns upon not waiving a student's right to see the Letter of Recommendation before it is submitted. That makes it seem like the person may have something to hide or is insecure about something.
I heard this from a receptionist at UT Pharmacy when I called and asked her to explain what it meant.
Just something to think about.

What you're describing sounds absolutely illegal.

Did you waive your right to see them? Sometimes UT Pharmacy frowns upon not waiving a student's right to see the Letter of Recommendation before it is submitted. That makes it seem like the person may have something to hide or is insecure about something.
I heard this from a receptionist at UT Pharmacy when I called and asked her to explain what it meant.

I did say after, and yes, I waived my right. I actually saw versions that were sent to other schools, so I can only assume that the online UT versions were similar.

I don't think that my writers would have lied about what they actually sent and what they showed me - ie, I don't think anyone screwed me.

Has UT sent out formal rejection letters yet?

congrats demons :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
My name is Bobby Seals and I am currently a P3 student here at UT-Austin. For anyone who is coming to UT next year I am looking for a roommate starting in June. I live in a 2/2 in the Far West area. It can be either male or female because the bedroom that is available has a private bathroom. If you are interested please email me at [email protected] to get the details.
Thanks.

for the photo we need to take to the interview, what kind of photo should it be? like a passport photo or is a 5x7 snapshot ok?

for the photo we need to take to the interview, what kind of photo should it be? like a passport photo or is a 5x7 snapshot ok?

Whoa! 5x7 is a little big, I think. I handed in a 4x6 that I had cut down to about 2x3.

good luck tomorrow and saturday to everyone interviewing in the final round!

Is anyone looking for a roommate in the West/North Campus area? I have a potential roommate with me but I figure if anyone is in the same boat as me (gettin accepted and finding some place to live) and doesn't wanna live alone their first year, they can room with us.
we're two guys, I think I'm a nice guy and my friend is also really cool and laid back
For the apartments I was looking at, rent would be 425 for sharing a room in a 2br apmt. or about 700 range for a 3BR or 4BR. Please message me if interested!

If you have not received an acceptance or deferral from the March 20th review, go ahead and email Dr. Wilcox.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you most likely have been rejected.

For some reason, they seem to randomly send out denials. Some people got their letters earlier in the week while others have not. It's not a mail issue because I know someone in Minnesota got their letter on Monday.

to all 2nd-round newly accepted students: have you guys received the packet in the mail Ann Spencer has mentioned?

to 1st-round accepted students & others: what should arrive in that packet cuz I already got the official letter in another mail?

to all 2nd-round newly accepted students: have you guys received the packet in the mail Ann Spencer has mentioned?

No... but you got the email saying it would be sent out late this week, right? I'm guessing it'll come early next week.

Hey guys... does anyone who's recently been accepted need a roommate? I'm pretty sure I want to live in west campus, which means 700's and 800s per room... i currently live in west campus and i honestly believe the convenience (walking to class/library/study groups) is well worth the money, but thats just me.

private message me if you're interested!

i've been looking for an apartment to stay this Fall too....my budget is limited, and I don't want to be buried in loans and loans after graduation...so I'm currently looking at the price less than $500/month....

anyway, if anyone accepted this year is also looking for roommates, so that we can share the cost, that'd be great! I'm a guy , 23 yr-old, very laid back...and possibly, if I can get a Vietnamese American- UT pharmacy student roommate like me, that'll be awesome!

i just got the packet in the mail so check your mailboxes! =)

what's in it? may I ask...mine probably comes on Monday cuz it'll take 2-3 days to mail stuff from Austin to here where I live, I believe...

Does anyone happen to know if we will need to dress professionally on certain days or for certain classes our first year? I'm just wondering if I should be expanding my wardrobe to clothing other than t-shirt and jeans....

Does anyone happen to know if we will need to dress professionally on certain days or for certain classes our first year? I'm just wondering if I should be expanding my wardrobe to clothing other than t-shirt and jeans....

I asked that during the tour... they said you'll need to dress business casual at least 2 days a week.

I asked that during the tour... they said you'll need to dress business casual at least 2 days a week.

thanks! guess i'll be searching for some comfortable professional attire this summer.

haha i think i may know you now... I remember a girl asking that during my tour :p

haha i think i may know you now... I remember a girl asking that during my tour :p

You should know who I am already from fb... it's not like I have a cryptic name :D I think I know who you are too btw... come to think of it, you might have been in my interview. I don't know, maybe... I don't really remember anyone from my interview except for texasRx.

hey, guys. A quick question. all the interview invitation are noticed by e-mail, right? I know there was a letter from UT sent to my home address at the end of March. Since I haven't been home for a while, did not have a chance to see what the letter was about. I assumed it was a rejection letter.

A copy of the interview invite email would have been mailed to you.

Sorry, I knew that wasn't going to make sense. A few days after I got the email, I got an exact copy of the email in my snail mail. So there is a chance that the letter sitting at your house is an interview invite, which would totally blow. :(

Sorry, I knew that wasn't going to make sense. A few days after I got the email, I got an exact copy of the email in my snail mail. So there is a chance that the letter sitting at your house is an interview invite, which would totally blow. :(

that will very suck!!!

So, none of the 4/4-4/5 interviewees have anything to say? I guess that just shows what a loser I am, because all I could think about after my interview was getting on SDN and unleashing every grim detail of my interview experience on everyone else here, lol:)

So, none of the 4/4-4/5 interviewees have anything to say? I guess that just shows what a loser I am, because all I could think about after my interview was getting on SDN and unleashing every grim detail of my interview experience on everyone else here, lol:)

LOL I am just trying to be patient... I don't wanna get too anxious too soon. How soon did you hear back from them? Do you know if we were the last round?

We were the last round. Dr. Wilcox said they would meet on the 17th to discuss about 60 of the apps. The other 20 people will be deferred until they meet in May. The 60 that they review will find out something within one week after April 17th.

:laugh: I'm an even big loser!

LOL I am just trying to be patient... I don't wanna get too anxious too soon. How soon did you hear back from them? Do you know if we were the last round?

I found out in ~2 weeks... 16 days I think to be exact. Good luck!

:eek: Good news for all P1s next year, word on the street is that there's a POSSIBILITY that they might be taking kinetics out of the P1 curriculum. The consensus among students has been that there's nothing in kinetics from the P1 year that doesn't have to be re-learnt anyway for the advanced kinetics class of the P3 year. Cross ur fingers cuz that class = annoying as hell.

They said they were revising the curriculum, so it won't be as bad for P1, but it'll just be evened out, so we won't get a break for P3.

Curious... Why the change after all these years? I was recently speaking to a couple pharmacists (one a UT alumni), and they said that UT's program was well developed after all these years and not likely to change like the newer programs will.

:eek: Good news for all P1s next year, word on the street is that there's a POSSIBILITY that they might be taking kinetics out of the P1 curriculum. The consensus among students has been that there's nothing in kinetics from the P1 year that doesn't have to be re-learnt anyway for the advanced kinetics class of the P3 year. Cross ur fingers cuz that class = annoying as hell.

Think they'll add another course if that one is taken out the first year? Or just leave it one class short than it usually was?

Could any of the current UT Pharm students tell me a little bit more about what to expect the first year?

-what classes we take
-how many hours a day do you spend on campus
-where to park
-should i get a laptop
-what should i look over from undergrad studies to help me prepare
-are you happy with your decision of pharmacy/ut

Could any of the current UT Pharm students tell me a little bit more about what to expect the first year?

-what classes we take
-how many hours a day do you spend on campus
-where to park
-should i get a laptop

In order.......:rolleyes:

Your specific course list can be found at http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/general/pharmdcurriculum.html

Depending on the day you might be on campus from 8 or 9 in the morning till your lab will let out usually around 5-6. I'm hardly ever there, but I guess I'm supposed to advise you to go to class :idea:. Parking is gunna suck no matter what. Most people park in the garages on Dean Keaton, but I live in the west campus neighborhood so I just walk to class. The E-bus also makes stops there so the evil DWI never occurs hehe. Laptops = great idea but definately not a requirement, I mostly bring mine to entertain myself during the more boring lectures but alot of your note taking will probably be on the class handouts. If you're already in you need to be partying right now and not looking over undergrad. materials. I have a chem degree and even then you'll need to re-learn specific things. The day I got into UT Pharmacy was the greatest day of my life thus far. Every day that's gone by since my acceptance has been amazing and I'm pretty sure other P1s will tell you the same thing.

Think they'll add another course if that one is taken out the first year? Or just leave it one class short than it usually was?

I've heard so many things that they might do, but it looks like the P2 year will be harder for you guys for sure. Ours is gunna be ridiculously cake+awesome compared to P1 year I can't wait.

THANK YOU!!! that was very helpful! i am so excited :)

If I were you, I would take the whole summer off if you can. Party, read a book, watch tv, whatever. You will have the next four years to study nonstop...no sense in starting any earlier than you need to.

And yeah...I am very happy at UT. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.