University of Texas at Austin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if north campus a relatively safe part of Austin?
North Campus, in my experience, is pretty tame and safe. It's better than south, southwest, and east campus.

--Garfield3d

Members don't see this ad.

Generally if you stay north of Riverside and west of Airport blvd you won't have to deal with crime.

Members don't see this ad :)
lemme clarify that by saying if you live north of riverside and west of airport you won't have to deal with crime of the house-broken-into-stabbed-in-the-face-found-three-days-later-in-a-dumpster variety. little, petty stuff is hard to get away from

most of the time it's dealing with the homeless asking for money and young dragrats (you'll soon know what I'm referring to) doing the same. ITS THE LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL FINALLY!

for those still waiting, are we going to get an email or do we have to wait for an actual letter? those extra few days are feeling like an eternity about now...

regarding housing safety, it seems to me north campus is safer than west or east. however, there is nowhere in austin where you are completely safe from petty theft. Use good judgement and lock your house and car, and dont leave anything visible that might be tempting.
I live on red river and while i would consider this an overall safe neighborhood, my roomates have had a bike and a truck stolen.

for those still waiting, are we going to get an email or do we have to wait for an actual letter? those extra few days are feeling like an eternity about now...

First you get the email, then some info will come in the mail from the University, and about a week after you will get a packet from the COP. The packet includes the response card for you to indicate your intent to attend. It also tells what classes you are missing.

look for final acceptance emails as early as today.

Does TB skin test have to be done after June 1 for incoming P1 student? But why does the University Health Service Center require to send the report by May 23 to ensure registration? I don't know which day I should follow now...And, financial aid is such a big hassle....I still have not heard anything from them....

I just got accepted!!! See you all in the fall!

does everyone get an acceptance email at the same time??

I think I read that the college of pharmacy campus is "partially" located in San Antonio... So do you take classes in Austin for a few years and then go to San Antonio or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, definitely not. Everything is in Austin for the 1st three years, then the residency is somewhere in Texas... mike36 want to confirm this? Perhaps you're talking about the 0-6 program? I think you take the prepharm at San Antonio then the rest at Austin, something like that... anyone else know for sure?

I think I read that the college of pharmacy campus is "partially" located in San Antonio... So do you take classes in Austin for a few years and then go to San Antonio or something?

I'm not certain about this, but the intern at our store right now got assigned the San Antonio area for her P4 year. As a result of this, she is supposed to spend her P3 year in San Antonio as well.

The main phases of the UT Austin CoP admissions process are over. To everyone who got in: Congratulations! To those who didn't: Don't get discouraged, if you plan to try again be sure to talk to Dr. Wilcox to discuss why you didn't get in this time but if you are serious about pharmacy I recommend taking offers from other schools, ultimately what matters is not the school you go to but your relationships and of course, getting your license. To the lucky/unlucky few who are on the waitlist: good luck! Godspeed in all your endeavors. 2008 signing off.

The first three years are in Austin. Where you spend the P4 year (rotations, not residency) is determined by a lottery. If you get San Antonio, then you will also spend the spring of your P3 year in San Antonio. UTEP students spend all of their P3 year in El Paso.

Even if you get the Austin area for your P4 year, that includes some rotations in Temple and Waco.

Does that clear it up?

The first three years are in Austin. Where you spend the P4 year (rotations, not residency) is determined by a lottery. If you get San Antonio, then you will also spend the spring of your P3 year in San Antonio. UTEP students spend all of their P3 year in El Paso.

Even if you get the Austin area for your P4 year, that includes some rotations in Temple and Waco.

Does that clear it up?
Ah, yes it does. Thanks to everyone that responded. :)

Oops! My bad!

No problem. I just didn't want anyone to get confused by the way you worded it. I could just imagine everyone that visits this thread asking about a combined PharmD/residency at UT.

So buying a house in Austin is probably not a good idea?

So buying a house in Austin is probably not a good idea?

It would be a gamble since their is no guarantee you will get picked for Austin. Most people usually get their first choice for the P4 year, but if you get San Antonio for instance, it doesn't matter what your reasons are for staying in Austin, or how compelling they are. You have to go where you are assigned, or you can't finish the program. There is an appeals process if you don't get your first choice, but again, it's not a guarantee.

Hey mike36, you know if you ask for Austin for rotations, can you specifically ask for Killeen? I can't imagine many people wanting to go to Killeen, so I think I'd have a good chance of getting it... well that's what I think anyways. Am I thinking unrealistically? I know it's still a long way off, so I shouldn't worry so much, but can't help it!

Hey mike36, you know if you ask for Austin for rotations, can you specifically ask for Killeen? I can't imagine many people wanting to go to Killeen, so I think I'd have a good chance of getting it... well that's what I think anyways. Am I thinking unrealistically? I know it's still a long way off, so I shouldn't worry so much, but can't help it!

You won't be able to do all of your rotations in Killeen. I am not sure if any of the required ones can be done in Killeen, but you could probably do an elective rotation if you wanted. The website lists Darnall, but it doesn't say if it is a required site or a possible elective site.

http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/general/experiential/info/program.html#regions

Hoping what they told me about rotations in San Antonio during my interview was true. They said the number of spots available is more than all the other cities and people don't usually want to do their rotations in San Antonio because they have to do the 2nd half of their 3rd year here as well. Mike36 can you confirm this? I hope(pray) I get San Antonio that's where I live and I'll be commuting. Any other crazy peeps starting in the Fall going to be commuting from San Antonio or any other city?

Any other crazy peeps starting in the Fall going to be commuting from San Antonio or any other city?

You're going to commute from San Antonio? Ouch! I live in Killeen but I'm going to be living in Austin during the weekdays... just too much driving for my liking.

You won't be able to do all of your rotations in Killeen. I am not sure if any of the required ones can be done in Killeen, but you could probably do an elective rotation if you wanted. The website lists Darnall, but it doesn't say if it is a required site or a possible elective site.

http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/general/experiential/info/program.html#regions

Thanks for that mike36... I suppose Temple will be my 2nd choice... I just don't want Abilene or somewhere far out like that. I don't see my husband enough as it is!

Thanks for that mike36... I suppose Temple will be my 2nd choice... I just don't want Abilene or somewhere far out like that. I don't see my husband enough as it is!

If you get the Austin/Temple/Waco area, I think that most of your rotations will still be in Austin. At least most of the required ones. Just so you know.

Hoping what they told me about rotations in San Antonio during my interview was true. They said the number of spots available is more than all the other cities and people don't usually want to do their rotations in San Antonio because they have to do the 2nd half of their 3rd year here as well. Mike36 can you confirm this? I hope(pray) I get San Antonio that's where I live and I'll be commuting. Any other crazy peeps starting in the Fall going to be commuting from San Antonio or any other city?

Of course it will vary depending on your class make up. If there are a whole lot of people in your class from San Antonio, then it could be a problem. But I think generally speaking, it is true that not a whole lot of people want San Antonio. At least that is what I have heard.

You sure you can make that commute everyday? Isn't that like 1.5 or 2 hours everyday?

1.5 hrs each way at best. But I can also take Grayhound and bus 7 (I think), which drops off 2 min from the pharm building, and then I don't have to worry about getting my bloodpressure up due to traffic. Of course, I'll ahve to see how it'll work out...

1.5 hrs each way at best. But I can also take Grayhound and bus 7 (I think), which drops off 2 min from the pharm building, and then I don't have to worry about getting my bloodpressure up due to traffic. Of course, I'll ahve to see how it'll work out...

Maybe it won't be so bad if you can study while your ride the bus. I don't think I would be able to, because I get car sick.

So how was the orientation? What exactly do you do during that time?

I was really excited to go to orientation, but it was a big let down. I wasn't able to sleep much the night before, so it was hard to stay awake. Especially since it is very boring. Many different people (professors, deans, student organizations) come to talk to you. It might sound exciting, but it really isn't.

White Coat Ceremony was at the end of the first day of orientation.

Many different people (professors, deans, student organizations) come to talk to you. It might sound exciting, but it really isn't.

That's a bit of a let down :(

How long does it go for... is orientation a whole day thing?

That's a bit of a let down :(

How long does it go for... is orientation a whole day thing?

There are orientation sessions the whole first week. I think Monday was the only day that it lasted the entire day.

There are orientation sessions the whole first week. I think Monday was the only day that it lasted the entire day.
ok, sorry I'm a little confused now. The yellow sheet from the Admit pkg titled Important Materials says "Orientation to the College of Pharmacy is tentatively scheduled to begin at 8:00 AM on Monday, August 25, 2008 Attendance is mandatory" . But according to http://registrar.utexas.edu/calendars/08-09/index.html classes for the Fall semster start Wednesday Aug. 27th. So this means either orientation is a max of 2 days or it goes past the start of the semester. Or the actual semester for the COP starts sometime past the start date for the rest of the university. I guess they will send us more informative emails as we get into the summer...

ok, sorry I'm a little confused now. The yellow sheet from the Admit pkg titled Important Materials says "Orientation to the College of Pharmacy is tentatively scheduled to begin at 8:00 AM on Monday, August 25, 2008 Attendance is mandatory" . But according to http://registrar.utexas.edu/calendars/08-09/index.html classes for the Fall semster start Wednesday Aug. 27th. So this means either orientation is a max of 2 days or it goes past the start of the semester. Or the actual semester for the COP starts sometime past the start date for the rest of the university. I guess they will send us more informative emails as we get into the summer...

Orientation lasts that whole first week. Yes classes start on Wednesday, but there will be some required orientation lectures/sessions that will continue throughout the week. At least that is how it was for my class.

On that first Monday, they will give you a detailed schedule that will tell you when and where everything is for that week, including your classes. They will also give you a schedule that tells you what week labs start. The COP semester starts and ends the same days as the rest of the university.

Orientation lasts that whole first week. Yes classes start on Wednesday, but there will be some required orientation lectures/sessions that will continue throughout the week. At least that is how it was for my class.

On that first Monday, they will give you a detailed schedule that will tell you when and where everything is for that week, including your classes. They will also give you a schedule that tells you what week labs start. The COP semester starts and ends the same days as the rest of the university.
Gottcha, thanks for clarifying that. So you thought orientation was quite boring? It seems to me they are doing a lot of hand-holding. Did you feel like it was too organized (useless?)? Or was it just the calm before the storm hit (after orientation they let you loose and classes got tough quick)?

Gottcha, thanks for clarifying that. So you thought orientation was quite boring? It seems to me they are doing a lot of hand-holding. Did you feel like it was too organized (useless?)? Or was it just the calm before the storm hit (after orientation they let you loose and classes got tough quick)?

I don't think it was useless. A lot of the information we really needed to get, but it is hard to remember it all because they give you so much info.

(It's like anytime you start a new job, there is an entire day of orientation. Even though you need to know all the insurance info, it is still boring as hell.)

The first month is easy (no tests). Once October hits, you will have at least one test a week. There's also a few little projects and papers scattered in.

I don't think it was useless. A lot of the information we really needed to get, but it is hard to remember it all because they give you so much info.

(It's like anytime you start a new job, there is an entire day of orientation. Even though you need to know all the insurance info, it is still boring as hell.)

The first month is easy (no tests). Once October hits, you will have at least one test a week. There's also a few little projects and papers scattered in.
Ye, it actually does sound like when you start a new job. Anyways, I'm eager to get started already. :p

Ye, it actually does sound like when you start a new job. Anyways, I'm eager to get started already. :p

Yea ya'll gunna love it dont worry. The first month is very awesome indeed, it gives you time if you're new to the city like I was to get to explore Austin or pick a club to join. Not sure how ur new Pchem teacher is gunna work out so stay on top of that cuz we won't have old tests or anything to give to you guys.

Not sure how ur new Pchem teacher is gunna work out so stay on top of that cuz we won't have old tests or anything to give to you guys.

The P3s will probably have some old tests for Pchem.

so im number 5 on the waitlist for UT.... how many people are normally on it? do i have good odds of getting in?

Can any current P2's give me an idea when their financial aid updated on CASH before their P1 year. Mine is still saying "Your financial aid award information is not yet available". I called them last week they told me that they are running behind this year and they had just finished processing incoming freshman and was told "any day now". I just want to know what I can expect to receive so I can get financial ducks in a row.

Can any current P2's give me an idea when their financial aid updated on CASH before their P1 year. Mine is still saying "Your financial aid award information is not yet available". I called them last week they told me that they are running behind this year and they had just finished processing incoming freshman and was told "any day now". I just want to know what I can expect to receive so I can get financial ducks in a row.

This should give you an idea: http://finaid.utexas.edu/costs/070undergradcosts.html

It is for the 2007-2008 year. I think tuition went up for the upcoming year, so just increase the cost of attendance by that much and it should be pretty accurate.

Does anyone know when UT will send out their last round of acceptances? Has it already happened? I vaguely remember someone saying that they sent out a round towards the end of May. Is this true?

I think its over. A round of acceptances went out last Friday and the waitlist letters are out.

anyone know how many people are generally accepted off the waitlist?