University of Texas at Austin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't know if I should buy my Longhorn All Sports Package during Registration or during the Orientation, because LASP is limited and if i wait until August they might not have any more available... any suggestions on that?

Members don't see this ad.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's in the package?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone was looking for a roommate. I have found a place in West Campus, on 29th and West Ave, for $1100. It is like a 15 minute walk to pharmacy building. Quite part of west campus, I haven't gone to look at the place yet, but the floor plan looks pretty big. Private message me if you are interested or just respond on the forum. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Excuse my ignorance, but what's in the package?

Package gives you access to most UT Football games, and almost all of the other UT Longhorn sports (Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Volleyball, Tennis, Track&Field, Soccer, etc.)

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone was looking for a roommate. I have found a place in West Campus, on 29th and West Ave, for $1100. It is like a 15 minute walk to pharmacy building. Quite part of west campus, I haven't gone to look at the place yet, but the floor plan looks pretty big. Private message me if you are interested or just respond on the forum. Thanks

GO WEST CAMPUS!

Just because they dropped one class, you think that you'll have time for all these sporting events?

I didn't know if I should buy my Longhorn All Sports Package during Registration or during the Orientation, because LASP is limited and if i wait until August they might not have any more available... any suggestions on that?

are you a current UT student?
I didnt think these were limited? I can tell you that I had one this year, and I used it once because between work and class I didnt have time to go to any games. I also bought mine in the middle of July right before the deadline to join a seating group for football. So I would say wait.

are you a current UT student?
I didnt think these were limited? I can tell you that I had one this year, and I used it once because between work and class I didnt have time to go to any games. I also bought mine in the middle of July right before the deadline to join a seating group for football. So I would say wait.

Yeah I go to UT right now. I had enough time last semester and its just three hours for a football game. im gonna get it regardless of whether i use it fully or not but my main question was should I buy it during registration or during orientation. Maybe a UT pharmacy student can help me on this one?

I had plenty of time to go to football games and basketball games...and they were worth it. If you end up not using the football tickets...you can always sell them off. I didn't purchase my tickets until the summer though because I also bought the season football tickets (and OU ticket which sold for a lot!). If anything, you guys should get the sports package (and you'll be able to draw for tickets together the week before/of the football game). If you decide to get season tickets, make sure u make a group so you won't have an assigned seat all season by yourself.

Football games are on Saturdays... :) The basketball games that I went to were on Saturdays. They have some games on weekdays and I unfortunately missed them because we had exams those nights :-/. It's okay, I'll be able to go to them next year :)

hope this helped!

I thought the dropping one class thing was just a rumor...

Most likely, kinetics will be dropped from the P1 year (with some other rearrangements of classes). There are still meetings being held to hash out the details of the new curriculum schedule.

hey mike36, what course designation is kinetics?

Most likely, kinetics will be dropped from the P1 year (with some other rearrangements of classes). There are still meetings being held to hash out the details of the new curriculum schedule.

I hope so... I'm about 5 months away from P1 year and the anxiety is already building up... will be able to handle it? stuff like that
i think that cuz every single ut pharm student i've talked to has always described P1 year as "crazy," "insane," "you better be prepared,"... nothing even close to "okay" or "doable."
That's kinda why I'm preparing by hopefully signing a lease in west campus (10 minute walk) so I don't waste any time commuting
dropping that kinetics course is okay i guess but i wouldn't really care, gotta take it sooner or later (p2 or p3 year) right?

I guess I'll go ahead and buy the sports package when I "register" tomorrow, and by register i mean do nothing since UTCP does it for me :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you recommend studying abroad? Is it worth it? I know UT has a program in London, and I would be stoked to go since I didn't have the chance to during my first two years of college.

Would you recommend studying abroad? Is it worth it? I know UT has a program in London, and I would be stoked to go since I didn't have the chance to during my first two years of college.

I know someone who did it their fall p3 year and enjoyed it. It's an experience...and if you want to do it, go for it. As for your other post... p1 year is definitely doable. It may be stressful at times but if you study and work hard then you should be fine. I guess the thing I wish I did was actually study for the first month we had off because once october hit...it hit hard with non-stop tests. So relax...p1 year will be fine. Just manage your time well. :)

I know someone who did it their fall p3 year and enjoyed it. It's an experience...and if you want to do it, go for it. As for your other post... p1 year is definitely doable. It may be stressful at times but if you study and work hard then you should be fine. I guess the thing I wish I did was actually study for the first month we had off because once october hit...it hit hard with non-stop tests. So relax...p1 year will be fine. Just manage your time well. :)

Awesome; thanks for the advice. Anyone else have advice for P1 yr?

I've got another question for all you current students...

As far as the first semester (assuming Kinetics is still on the roster,) which required textbooks did you end up not needing?

I'm taking a class right now where the text was brandished as the end-all-be-all weapon to successfully complete the course, and I haven't used it once--turns out to all be lecture-based anyway...And yeah, I'm a little antsy about dropping $1K on textbooks I might not use during that first semester. Any advice is greatly appreciated! :D

Hmmm. Guess everyone's studying........or drinking.:)

By drinking you obviously mean drinking coffee- so 'they' can stay up and keep studying.

I've got another question for all you current students...

As far as the first semester (assuming Kinetics is still on the roster,) which required textbooks did you end up not needing?

I'm taking a class right now where the text was brandished as the end-all-be-all weapon to successfully complete the course, and I haven't used it once--turns out to all be lecture-based anyway...And yeah, I'm a little antsy about dropping $1K on textbooks I might not use during that first semester. Any advice is greatly appreciated! :D

I didn't need the medicinal chemistry textbooks. Everything is pretty much straight from lecture. That should save you about ~130 bucks. With anatomy and biochemistry... you'll use those books for the whole year so it's a pretty good investment. A lot of the other courses will have printed notes from the professors and you can pick those up from the copy store.

my advice is to buy the books online and a couple of weeks before school starts. You end up saving a lot of money that way... :). They will send you guys a list of books that are required and books that are optional during the summer... just buy the required ones. :)

Just because they dropped one class, you think that you'll have time for all these sporting events?

Just because you're in pharmacy school doesn't mean you can't still have a life. If that's the way some people view it, I have to say, that's really sad.

Just because you're in pharmacy school doesn't mean you can't still have a life. If that's the way some people view it, I have to say, that's really sad.

In my interview, I was grilled on being able to handle courses and being able to manage time for them. They made it sound like I wouldn't be able to do anything other than try desperately to pass classes.

congrats, bam!

i was deferred.

I got in!!!! email came at 1:55pm today... couldn't be happier!

Received an email saying they hadn't reviewed mine yet and that a decision will be made on May 1st. More waiting....

I didn't need the medicinal chemistry textbooks. Everything is pretty much straight from lecture. That should save you about ~130 bucks. With anatomy and biochemistry... you'll use those books for the whole year so it's a pretty good investment. A lot of the other courses will have printed notes from the professors and you can pick those up from the copy store.

my advice is to buy the books online and a couple of weeks before school starts. You end up saving a lot of money that way... :). They will send you guys a list of books that are required and books that are optional during the summer... just buy the required ones. :)

I agree, the most important ones for P1 are anat/phys and biochem. I used those pretty extensively. We were told that the med chem text is also required for P2, so maybe you should get it, but not very useful for P1.

congrats to everyone who got their acceptance today!

Congratulations everyone! Bam, I knew you were the real E-man. :thumbup:

For those of you still waiting, don't give up hope! There's still a good chunk that will be accepted in May. The sucky part is that now you have this laid on you just in time for your last round of tests and (yay) finals. So, if at all possible, just try to focus focus focus on your studies for the next few weeks and kick a** on your finals...that will make the time go by a little faster and you'll be more constructive during that waiting period.

Congratulations!! By chance, do I know you??? Check on the facebook group UTCOP 2012 to see if you find me!

whoop! i got in!....should have checked my email about 10 hours ago though

Congrats to all the recently accepted people :clap:

It's 1:30am and I'm celebreating because I got into pharmacy school too!

Anyone know how much the deposit is?

BTW, I am also looking for a roommate not sure where I want to live yet. I am female and I have a dog (medium size, 3yrs old, house broken).

has anyone heard anything about Financial Aid for UT this Fall? just out of curiosity...

Just checked mine today and it still says the same thing:
Fall 2008

Your financial aid award information is not yet available.

Hoping they will update soon so I can start my budget...

I haven't received my packet yet, so can someone tell me when classes start. I know at Tech, they start near the beginning of August--same kind of thing at UT??

I believe classes start on Aug 27th... I saw the date in my interview packet on the yellow FAQs sheet

I agree, the most important ones for P1 are anat/phys and biochem. I used those pretty extensively. We were told that the med chem text is also required for P2, so maybe you should get it, but not very useful for P1.

I agree, this past year the only book I've cracked was Anatomy. Calculations book used in the Spring. Never opened the Ceutics book but I have it. Maybe after going to classes for a while you can judge for yourself whether or not you'll need my used/still in wrapper books.

I agree, this past year the only book I've cracked was Anatomy. Calculations book used in the Spring. Never opened the Ceutics book but I have it. Maybe after going to classes for a while you can judge for yourself whether or not you'll need my used/still in wrapper books.

Oh yeah...I forgot about calculations in the spring. I didn't use it nearly as much as anat/phys, but it was nice to have when I needed to look up something. The professor that teaches the calculations course doesn't do a very good job of it (in my opinion) so the text was really helpful if there was something I didn't understand from lecture.

I need some advice:

I'm living with a friend from my undergrad who is currently working in Austin. She just got a job with Dell (in Roundrock) and so, we are looking for a place that is close enough to campus for me but also not rediculous for her. We don't want to live in apartments with a lot of partying/loud people/or in a scary part of town. Any suggestions??

I need some advice:

I'm living with a friend from my undergrad who is currently working in Austin. She just got a job with Dell (in Roundrock) and so, we are looking for a place that is close enough to campus for me but also not rediculous for her. We don't want to live in apartments with a lot of partying/loud people/or in a scary part of town. Any suggestions??
I work in Round Rock; live on the East Side of I-35 around Airport Blvd and 40th street. Its usually not to bad of a commute to work (15 minute drive) since traffic is usually bad going to opposite direction I'm headed in (when traffic is going south in the morning, I'm going north and vice versa). Its also only 2-3 miles from CoP. There are both apartments and homes for rent; its not east enough to be exceptionally dangerous but is far enough from campus for the the rent to be lower than north and west campus.

Anyone know if north campus a relatively safe part of Austin?