University of Washington Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
swman said:
And oh, by the way, I didn't get into premat either.

I'm sorry, Jesse. Now I have to ride the bus alone. But well, I will see you in Pullman.

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on getting one around august (if price is right), or around christmas of this year. I want to get a hang of those PDA's before I start clerkships and I want things to be as seamless as possible.

aspiringdoctor said:
thank you, Morningglory and Iwy for answering our questions. I hope you can give me some advices about this:

I know that on the orientation website, it says that PDA is required, but most medical students told me that we won't need it until later in second or third year, so I wonder to extent will we need the PDA in the first year at University of Washington?

thanks
Even in second year, my PDA does little more than keep my schedule, enable me to check email (has Wifi), and allow me to play Solitaire.

Members don't see this ad :)
Iwy Em Hotep said:
Even in second year, my PDA does little more than keep my schedule, enable me to check email (has Wifi), and allow me to play Solitaire.

Ditto kinda. :) I didn't bother to buy one for first year. Most people didn't buy them actually. It'd be kinda nice to get acquainted, but in my opinion, unnecessary until 3rd year.

DrNeva242 said:
Is anyone buying the optional Histology Atlas for Pre-mat? I can't decide but I found it cheaper at www.cheapesttextbooks.com. :)

Hi, I saw your name on the premat email we received from Mary yesterday! I've been trying to match names because I can't wait to meet everyone.

Anyway, I've decided not to buy the atlas. I figured if I needed it I could get it later and people have responded that they didn't use it. It would be nice is one or two of us had it for reference though.

Thanks for the website. I'm going to check out the text on there.

DrNeva242 said:
Is anyone buying the optional Histology Atlas for Pre-mat? I can't decide but I found it cheaper at www.cheapesttextbooks.com. :)

I didn't buy it after reading MOrningglory's advices (check previous pages), besides the required textbook already has tons of materials. see you soon.

Peter Griffen said:
The day in the life site that the students made is nice. It has a ton of great info. I'm an Idaho resident that will be in Moscow/Pullman. Most everyone that I have talked to said that Moscow is the way to go as far as place to live. I went there about a month ago and I really liked Moscow and Pullman. The housing in Moscow seemed to be a little cheaper compared to Pullman. I was able to find a really nice 2 bedroom apartment for my wife and I in Moscow for a great price.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in a few months! It's going to be fun.

B

Is this you Brian????

-Karen

KD

So you've decided to join us. Representing Montana!!! No worries, you'll get to hang with the WSU/UI crowd in a year.

Brian

Peter Griffen said:
KD

So you've decided to join us. Representing Montana!!! No worries, you'll get to hang with the WSU/UI crowd in a year.

Brian

Who is Peter Griffen??? :)

Hey is anyone here a Montana resident? I am going to be in Bozeman next year if you are!!!! and I can't wait to meet some of my classmates :p

I need a roommate too.....female preferrably:)

kcdiener said:
Who is Peter Griffen??? :)
Its everyones favorite dumb-arse from Quahog, Rhode Island from the show Family guy!

I didnt know Peter got into med school. :rolleyes:

adiddas125 said:
Its everyones favorite dumb-arse from Quahog, Rhode Island from the show Family guy!

Hmmmmm.....guess I should watch more TV huh!

Thanks for informing me:)

Where are you from???

Members don't see this ad :)
adiddas125 said:

How funny would he be as a fellow classmate! BTW, adiddas, I'll be up your way starting next Friday!

titoincali said:
How funny would he be as a fellow classmate! BTW, adiddas, I'll be up your way starting next Friday!

How are you? Are you a med student now or are you just starting this coming fall?

kcdiener said:
Hmmmmm.....guess I should watch more TV huh!

Thanks for informing me:)

Where are you from???
kcdiner - Hi I am a entering 2006 UW Med student! It looks like you'll be in MT? I'll be in seattle for the first year! I am from Seattle.

Tito - Are you going to be doing a lot of packing and moving then? The last few days here in Seattle have been incredibly rainy and very humid. Hopefully we'll see our Seattle summer again. I tried seeing if I could just take the histo course in summer without the stipend, but I guess you're not allowed to without the stipend... My summer is now going to consist of relaxing!

kcdiener said:
How are you? Are you a med student now or are you just starting this coming fall?

I'll be starting in the fall. But first I've got to survive my move to Washington!

adiddas125 said:
kcdiner - Hi I am a entering 2006 UW Med student! It looks like you'll be in MT? I'll be in seattle for the first year! I am from Seattle.

Tito - Are you going to be doing a lot of packing and moving then? The last few days here in Seattle have been incredibly rainy and very humid. Hopefully we'll see our Seattle summer again. I tried seeing if I could just take the histo course in summer without the stipend, but I guess you're not allowed to without the stipend... My summer is now going to consist of relaxing!

I'm trying to get motivated to do packing since the movers are coming Tuesday morning but it's not working. I guess I'm going to be pulling a lot of late nights until then!

Humidity? Nobody told me there would be humidity. Yuck.

It seems like they are changing a lot of things about premat this year. Interesting.

Previously it was Amen who was the Pre-Mat Coorindator, this year its Mary. I dont know why the shake up occured but its interested that things have changed?

Yea its real humid. Today it was sunny at 12:30PM, and then 10 mins later there was a torrential downpour. It was crazy. Moving sucks, its like packing your bags for a vacation. Do you have to make sure your apartment/place is in tippy top shape? Does it have to be cleaned?

adiddas125 said:
Previously it was Amen who was the Pre-Mat Coorindator, this year its Mary. I dont know why the shake up occured but its interested that things have changed?

Yea its real humid. Today it was sunny at 12:30PM, and then 10 mins later there was a torrential downpour. It was crazy. Moving sucks, its like packing your bags for a vacation. Do you have to make sure your apartment/place is in tippy top shape? Does it have to be cleaned?

Yes, it's got to be clean but I'm not necessarily a messy person so it won't be too bad once everything is out of here.

adiddas125 said:

OK, you got me...this is NOT the real Peter Griffen. I'm an imposter. Let's just say I have been channeling Peter's intellect, and it has worked well for me.

Hey WWAMI WSU/UI students

I have lived here in pullman for the last 2 1/2 years so if you have any questions about places to live or anything else, I can try to help you out.

Hi everyone! I'm a new addition to the class of 2010 as of 2 weeks ago. (I am slow to post to this thread because I was out of the country! Got my acceptance right after i got on the plane, actually)

I didn't scour this thread since it's so long, but has there been any discussion about finding pet-friendly living arrangements near campus? I have a 70 lb lab mix who I would love to bring to school, but I've been living by myself for the past year and a half but I likely won't be able to afford such isolation in Seattle, and experience tells me that it's pretty tough to find a room for rent while bringing a dog.

ahumdinger said:
Hi everyone! I'm a new addition to the class of 2010 as of 2 weeks ago. (I am slow to post to this thread because I was out of the country! Got my acceptance right after i got on the plane, actually)

I didn't scour this thread since it's so long, but has there been any discussion about finding pet-friendly living arrangements near campus? I have a 70 lb lab mix who I would love to bring to school, but I've been living by myself for the past year and a half but I likely won't be able to afford such isolation in Seattle, and experience tells me that it's pretty tough to find a room for rent while bringing a dog.

welcome to the UWSOM 2010 family, ahumdinger. I'm so glad to see you here, and CONGRATULATION ON ACCEPTANCE TO UW.

ahumdinger said:

Yay, what colour is your lab? I have yellow lab puppy right now. She has certainly been a lot of work lately. My mother says... its almost like raising a child. Tells you how ready I am :rolleyes:

ahumdinger said:

Congratulations!!!

Hello E' 06 ers! Is anyone planning to drive up in August before orientation from the bay area in California? Please pm me :)

anyone here from MOscow, Idaho, please give me some advice. I plan to live in the WWAMI house for girls, but wonder how far it is from Idaho University, should I buy a bicycle or bring my own car? thanks if anyone can help.

ahumdinger said:

Hey that is great!!!

Welcome Ahumdinger. :)

hey all, i've also been lotteried out to wsu. Anybody looking for a potential roommate? I've been looking (from seattle) at places in pullman and hope to find some place relatively close to class and the gym. ideas?

aspiringdoctor said:
anyone here from MOscow, Idaho, please give me some advice. I plan to live in the WWAMI house for girls, but wonder how far it is from Idaho University, should I buy a bicycle or bring my own car? thanks if anyone can help.

I am from pullman, so i may be of some help. the WWAMI house you are talking about is at 708 E. 6th. According to the 'day in a life' website the building that we meet in is the physics and engineering building which is on 6th ave as well but about a mile from the house. if you already have a car then by all means bring it. you probably already know that we will attend WSU in pullman (8 miles away) three out of five days and most tests are given in pullman and the anatomy lab is in pullman, but you'll want to do all your shopping in moscow (wal-mart, winco etc..)

Another thing you might want to consider is the preceptorships (once per week). some of these may be in lewiston (35 miles) or colfax (20 miles from moscow), so a car will be essential if this is the case. there may be ways around it, but i am not aware of any.

Also, if you are from washington you will have your gym membership in pullman , not moscow.

let me know if I left something out or have any other questions.

husky2010 said:
hey all, i've also been lotteried out to wsu. Anybody looking for a potential roommate? I've been looking (from seattle) at places in pullman and hope to find some place relatively close to class and the gym. ideas?

there are a bunch of apartment complexes near the gym (within .5-1 mile) but these will not get you very close to morrill hall (WWAMI offices). the bus system is very good so it easy to catch a bus every 12-15 minutes that will drop you off at the gym.

I used to live in the Yakama apartments at the south end of campus. it was about a ten minute walk to morrill hall and had very easy access to the moscow pullman highway (won't have to go through town to get on). it would probably take you 5 minutes to walk to a bus stop to go to the gym.

where you want to live depends on so many things. PM me if you want to get in contact with me and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

I do not need a roomate...I have three already (wife and two kids)

aspiringdoctor said:

Hey aspiringdoctor -
I have lived in Moscow for the last 2 years, so here's my two-cents on the car/bike question. If you already have a car, bring it. If you don't, I'm not sure I would get one just for the Moscow/Pullman experience. The town is small enough so that you can ride/walk everywhere and there is lots of transportation to Pullman, plus, I'm sure that you can borrow someone's vehicle to do grocery shopping.

As for a bike, I would highly recommend getting one. Parking on UI sorta sucks, and the town is small enough that, whenever I drive around, I feel a bit silly (I think it takes longer to drive than to bike). This is a very bike-friendly town. And it's a quick 8-mi bike to Pullman on a nice trail.

Hope that helps.

If anyone else has questions about this area, feel free to ask me.
Can't wait to meet everyone!

Squid said:
As for a bike, I would highly recommend getting one. Parking on UI sorta sucks, and the town is small enough that, whenever I drive around, I feel a bit silly (I think it takes longer to drive than to bike). This is a very bike-friendly town. And it's a quick 8-mi bike to Pullman on a nice trail.

Hope that helps.

Hey Squid,

Should I bring my mountain bike or road bike? Is the trail or path that goes from Moscow to Pullman paved? or is it dirt/gravel?

homeostatician said:
Hey Squid,

Should I bring my mountain bike or road bike? Is the trail or path that goes from Moscow to Pullman paved? or is it dirt/gravel?
the Chipman trail is paved. it is very nice, not shaded in most areas, but well maintained and is surrounded by vegetation and runs along a stream.

Squid said:
Hey aspiringdoctor -
I have lived in Moscow for the last 2 years, so here's my two-cents on the car/bike question. If you already have a car, bring it. If you don't, I'm not sure I would get one just for the Moscow/Pullman experience. The town is small enough so that you can ride/walk everywhere and there is lots of transportation to Pullman, plus, I'm sure that you can borrow someone's vehicle to do grocery shopping.

Hope that helps.

thank you for your advices. Since you already done with your first year, you probably can give us some advices on textbooks. I heard from most medical students from other schools that M1 students shouldn't buy every required textbook, is that true for UWSOM? can you recommend some important textbook or review books should we buy for this coming year?

for gross anatomy, what atlas or textbook is most useful for you?

thank you for taking time to help us. I'm sure everyone here truly appreciate your help and advices.

aspiringdoctor said:
thank you for your advices. Since you already done with your first year, you probably can give us some advices on textbooks. I heard from most medical students from other schools that M1 students shouldn't buy every required textbook, is that true for UWSOM? can you recommend some important textbook or review books should we buy for this coming year?

thank you for taking time to help us. I'm sure everyone here truly appreciate your help and advices.

Actually. . I'm going to be in your class, so, I can't give much information on the textbooks. .sorry. .

As for bikes, If you have both, bring both - There are great mt. biking trails around here, and the rolling palouse makes for awesome road biking as well. For commuting, either will work.

in case there was a misunderstanding, let me clarify that I am not a current WWAMI student. I will be starting first year in pullman/moscow with the rest of you this coming august. I don't think squid is a current WWAMI student either (not sure).

Only two more months before the madness begins.....I can hardly wait (seriously)

Squid said:
Actually. . I'm going to be in your class, so, I can't give much information on the textbooks. .sorry. .

As for bikes, If you have both, bring both - There are great mt. biking trails around here, and the rolling palouse makes for awesome road biking as well. For commuting, either will work.
Squid,
did you do your undergrad at Uof Idaho?

Fishy-Cracker said:
Squid,
did you do your undergrad at Uof Idaho?

Nope, but I did do most of my pre-med requirements at U of I, hence my two years in Moscow. . .did you do undergrad here?

Squid said:
Nope, but I did do most of my pre-med requirements at U of I, hence my two years in Moscow. . .did you do undergrad here?
No, but I attended WSU. I just graduated last month with BS in biochem.

Squid said:

oh, right. You told me about this before, sorry, it must slip my mind. any upperclassmates could help with this question, please? thanks

PLease give us some advices on textbooks. I heard from most medical students from other schools that M1 students shouldn't buy every required textbook, is that true for UWSOM? can you recommend some important textbook or review books should we buy for this coming year?

thank you for taking time to help us.

Squid said:

Speaking of bikes, and this is for the seattle folks out there, is it even realistic to bike to and from school if I'm not some super-buff-Le-Tour-wannabe? It seems like seattle boasts some nasty hills. Am I going to die huffing and puffing to school?

Textbooks:

Don't get any books right now. You will each be assigned a 2nd year student who will act as a mentor. They wil often lend/sell you textbooks.

Biking:

Seattle is hilly, but the area around the U District is not. Anywhere near the Burke-Gilman trail will be fine.

ahumdinger said:
Speaking of bikes, and this is for the seattle folks out there, is it even realistic to bike to and from school if I'm not some super-buff-Le-Tour-wannabe? It seems like seattle boasts some nasty hills. Am I going to die huffing and puffing to school?

Depending on where you live, you may not have to worry about the hills at all on the way to school. E.g. the burke-guilman trail has no hills at all. You should be ok on hills as long as you can gear way down on your bike (you have the small chain ring on the front--not all road bikes have it, but I think all mountain bikes do) and have some sort of way to have your feet firmly atached to your pedals--such as clipless pedals. The clipless or cages let you use your hamstrings in your pedal stroke (pedaling in circles), which makes going up hills a *lot* easier.

BoogieGnome said:
Depending on where you live, you may not have to worry about the hills at all on the way to school. E.g. the burke-guilman trail has no hills at all. You should be ok on hills as long as you can gear way down on your bike (you have the small chain ring on the front--not all road bikes have it, but I think all mountain bikes do) and have some sort of way to have your feet firmly atached to your pedals--such as clipless pedals. The clipless or cages let you use your hamstrings in your pedal stroke (pedaling in circles), which makes going up hills a *lot* easier.

that's a relief. I got a road bike about 8 months ago 'cause my boyfriend is a huge cycling buff, but I've been used to riding the relatively flat-roads of st. louis. I guess I'll have to work on my climbing when I get to the NW!

Fishy-Cracker said:
I am from pullman, so i may be of some help. the WWAMI house you are talking about is at 708 E. 6th. According to the 'day in a life' website the building that we meet in is the physics and engineering building which is on 6th ave as well but about a mile from the house. if you already have a car then by all means bring it. you probably already know that we will attend WSU in pullman (8 miles away) three out of five days and most tests are given in pullman and the anatomy lab is in pullman, but you'll want to do all your shopping in moscow (wal-mart, winco etc..)

Another thing you might want to consider is the preceptorships (once per week). some of these may be in lewiston (35 miles) or colfax (20 miles from moscow), so a car will be essential if this is the case. there may be ways around it, but i am not aware of any.

Also, if you are from washington you will have your gym membership in pullman , not moscow.

let me know if I left something out or have any other questions.

thanks for these advices, Fishy-cracker

Iwy Em Hotep said:
Textbooks:

Don't get any books right now. You will each be assigned a 2nd year student who will act as a mentor. They wil often lend/sell you textbooks

thanks, Iwy, but I wonder if this also applies to WWAMi students or just for seattle students.

Oh, right. Sorry - the 2nd years are all in Seattle, so 1st students who are not in Seattle may not be able to arrange to get books and stuff (varies by person).

aspiringdoctor said:
PLease give us some advices on textbooks. I heard from most medical students from other schools that M1 students shouldn't buy every required textbook, is that true for UWSOM? can you recommend some important textbook or review books should we buy for this coming year?

This is true. For UW (& WWAMI students since you guys use the same books).. you don't need to buy every required textbook. For some classes, lecture slides are enough. Other classes, a syllabus is provided which you can either purchase or read online if available.

As far as anatomy goes, this year we had one textbook "Gray's Anatomy for Students" and you have a choice of Netter's or Grant's atlases to buy. If you are a book kind of person, Gray's was nice to give a detailed explanation of things, but probably not absolutely necessary if you're really trying to save money. I'd say that one is a personal choice. As for which atlas is better, I prefer Netter's myself (plus the flash cards), but other people prefer Grant's. I would suggest looking at both before you decide which one you'd like to buy. Also, there is a required Langman's embryology.. I personally did not like it. It's difficult to read, but it does have everything you need I guess. The embryology portion of the class was actually a little more difficult in my opinion, so you probably should get some sort of book to help.

Extra study stuff:
I can give you guys a list of other review books and such that I found helpful, but please don't take these as necessary. Just throwing stuff out there. :)

Fall quarter
High Yield Embryology helped organize and simplify things quite nicely.

Winter
BRS Pathology & BRS Physiology
(Some other people recommend baby robbins)

Spring
Micro cards by Lippincott
Micro made ridiculously simple

Anyway, your 2nd year big docs will also let you know what they thought worked for them.

Iwy Em Hotep said:
Oh, right. Sorry - the 2nd years are all in Seattle, so 1st students who are not in Seattle may not be able to arrange to get books and stuff (varies by person).

Oh yeah, and Iwy was right about the waiting to buy some books. For Seattle students, you will be e-mail spammed to death all year from upper classmen pleading to sell their books to you. :)