University of Washington - Opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staroceanX

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm intersted in the University of Washington and I'm wondering if you guys know anything about it.

1. Is it more research oriented or more practice oriented ?
2. Admission Difficulty (range from 10 to 1) 10 being hardest ?
3. Any opinion on the school would be helpful.

(I know their admission statistics from their website, i'm looking for more opinion-based replies)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a work study student in the UW dental school, and I went through the interview process (unfortunately got rejected)...

just personal opinion...
-I think that although there is lots of emphasis on research, it's a very well-balanced curriculum. There are lots of opportunities for research (like the summer SURF program), but the clinical education is awesome.

-it's a very competitive school. They get about 800-900 applicants for 55 spots. I didn't get in, so I consider it hard... but I can't exactly put a number on it. It's harder than most of the private schools, but it doesn't seem as "impossible" as I had originally thought.

-it's a very very good school. The Class of 2004 had the top average score on NBDE part 2 I believe. All of the students I talk to in the school say it's wonderful, and the low tuition (for in-state residents) is also a plus. The facilities are much less "pretty" than some of the private schools, and it's somewhat depressing to be in the bottom of the enormous Health Sciences building, but I was quite impressed when I took the tour. The faculty really care about producing great dentists. Some students I've talked to think it's crazy to even consider going elsewhere. However, I've heard that it's very challenging, especially the first year.

3) It is an excellent school, but probably isn't the best place in the world as far as boosting morale goes.

The facilities, as was mentioned, are dreary and completey outdated. Being in the basement doesn't help. In fact, their location is rather depressing.

Also, if you aren't interested in research to some degree, you might feel out-of-place.

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
3) It is an excellent school, but probably isn't the best place in the world as far as boosting morale goes.

The facilities, as was mentioned, are dreary and completey outdated. Being in the basement doesn't help. In fact, their location is rather depressing.

Also, if you aren't interested in research to some degree, you might feel out-of-place.
I'm excited to say I'll be going there. As far as difficulty to get in, very difficult (certainly within the top 5 stats wise). Nearly impossible if you aren't from Washington or among the several WICHE states. The facilities are not incredible, but overall education, prestige and cost are all very strong. And I believe my opinion is not overly biased.

Having interviewed and being accepted at UW, I was very impressed overall. The students I talked to expressed mixed emotions... some mentioned that the curriculum was quite stringent as someone else mentioned in an earlier post and one in particular told me that many of his counterparts at other schools aren't as stressed out as he was. The flip side is that he is happy that he's getting the best education for his money. Other students were very happy and proud to be there. The faculty and the admissions people that interviewed me were very nice, welcoming and warm. Like Gavin mentioned, the facilities are kind of out-dated. In terms of difficulty getting in, if you check out the matriculating students' stats, you'll see that it is very competitive. I live in AZ and we are considered to be a WICHE state, so that was to my advantage. Good luck!

Im gonna have to agree with wimmcs on everything!
I too received an acceptance this year to UW dental, but I have chosen to not accept it...I am an Oklahoma resident (NOT a WICHE state!), and I have good stats but not incredible BUT, i will tell you, UW cares ALOT ALOT about the interview...I am convinced that is what got me an acceptance. I interviewed there on Dec 10th, and on dec 13th, the dean called and told me that I was the first person they had discussed and that my interviewers told the board I had been the best interviewer they had ever seen....(not to toot my own horn, i promise!). I was absolutely floored, but I will tell you, I love the interview process and I am someone that does not get nervous very easily..I love talking to people, and I happened to get two great interviewers who engaged me in the greatest interview conversations I have ever had....
so, to make a long story short---UW seems like a great place to be....great reputation, good facilities (yes, a little dark and dreary, but hey, so is seattle), you can also get in state tuition after one year!
Good luck with the process! I would say go for it if you get in!
(I declined because I dont wanna be that far from my fam!) :thumbup: :)

1. UW has a very strong balance between their research and clinical emphasis. They receive a ton of funding for research, but they also consistently rank in the top for the National Boards II (they were ranked #1 last year as was stated earlier). Here's a good article about that: http://www.thedaily.washington.edu/...keyField=__Record_ID__&-keyValue=8873&-search

2. I would say it is very tough to get admitted. In my opinion, numbers are very important to them, i.e. gpa, DAT scores, etc. But that will only get you in the door. They care about everything else as well. They are really seeking well-rounded individuals.

3. The small class size (55) is very appealing. The location of the dental school within the Health Sciences Building is less than desireable, but the clinics are very nice and well lit as well as many of the other rooms.

If you plan on specializing, it's a great school to go to. Almost everyone who applies to a specialty from UW gets accepted, and often to their #1 choice.

The faculty, administrators, and staff that I've met are very nice and helpful.

If you're looking for an easy school, do not go to UW!!! I have heard it is intense. They are actually working on making it a little more manageable. This year they are going to start anatomy 4 weeks earlier than the rest of the courses. So for 4 weeks you can focus solely on anatomy and not worry about the other classes. You can also test out of several of the 1st-year science courses at UW if you want.

staroceanX said:
I'm intersted in the University of Washington and I'm wondering if you guys know anything about it.

(I know their admission statistics from their website, i'm looking for more opinion-based replies)

i agree with all of this. i recently interviewed at uw, and it seemed to have a really good balance of research and clinical, and overall is a great school to go to if you're a wa or wiche resident (but nearly impossible if you're not). the only potential negatives i saw were the building, the rain, and the intensity...but other than that, it's a good school

snoopdoug said:
1. UW has a very strong balance between their research and clinical emphasis. They receive a ton of funding for research, but they also consistently rank in the top for the National Boards II (they were ranked #1 last year as was stated earlier). Here's a good article about that: http://www.thedaily.washington.edu/...keyField=__Record_ID__&-keyValue=8873&-search

2. I would say it is very tough to get admitted. In my opinion, numbers are very important to them, i.e. gpa, DAT scores, etc. But that will only get you in the door. They care about everything else as well. They are really seeking well-rounded individuals.

3. The small class size (55) is very appealing. The location of the dental school within the Health Sciences Building is less than desireable, but the clinics are very nice and well lit as well as many of the other rooms.

If you plan on specializing, it's a great school to go to. Almost everyone who applies to a specialty from UW gets accepted, and often to their #1 choice.

The faculty, administrators, and staff that I've met are very nice and helpful.

If you're looking for an easy school, do not go to UW!!! I have heard it is intense. They are actually working on making it a little more manageable. This year they are going to start anatomy 4 weeks earlier than the rest of the courses. So for 4 weeks you can focus solely on anatomy and not worry about the other classes. You can also test out of several of the 1st-year science courses at UW if you want.

There is plenty of research opportunity here at UW if you want it. It is not required, and I haven't done any, but it is still a good opportunity.

Admission Difficulty - They generally do prefer WICHE residents. So you have to have even better qualifications if you are not WICHE. (See the website for a list of states.) They keep getting more applicants so it keeps getting more difficult. Based solely on that criteria I would say "10"

I am a third year student, and can say that years one and two are pretty busy (tough). The school wants you to succeed when you are in, however, so people aren't dropping like flies. They don't hold your hand, but if you are willing to ask for help, there is someone to give it to you. (Only one student had to leave because of personal reasons.) Now that I am in clinic most the time, life is wonderful!!

As for the facilities, I don't know what you guys are talking about. The D-1 lab (preclinical lab in the basement) had a major (millions$) renovation before I arrived and is on par with other top preclinical labs, and in my opinion, quite nice to work in. (Large desks, screens at every desk, "mannequins".) But yes, I must agree, classrooms aren't always pretty. The clinic seems just fine to me.

I am going to finish up with a great education when I graduate, and it is less expensive since I am a state resident, but every school has its flaws. (Some teachers are great, some are not.) I can't imagine any school being completely perfect.

well, I guess I'm a special case for UW.

I am still an out-of-state resident (Louisiana resident ); UW is where I am attending undergrad. I was surprised I got accepted because I am not a resident and that going to UW for undergrad does not favor my way.

My interview was horrible... or relative to the other ones I had. I think it really depends on who your interviewer was.

Keep in mind, UW is a traditional school so numbers are very important here.
It is my belief that if you thinking about UW, and you are out-of-state, you should have pretty good stats (like 3.5 gpa, and 20s for dats)

if you are in-state or wiche, then you will probably get an interview (as long as you have decent grades). as long as you are sincere, honest, and cheerful, I think everyone has a good chance at getting accepted at UW

PM if you're interested in my opinion about seattle after living here for 4 years