University of Washington SOM OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvester500

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me explain my situation:
-Grew up in and graduated from high school in WA state
-Went to college in the midwest
-Committed to job in midwest as part of 2 gap years (needed the money), which locked me in the midwest through October 2020
-To be considered a WA state resident for admissions purposes for matriculation in fall 2021, I would need to be in WA state as a resident by June 1, 2020 (obviously can't happen with my current employment situation).

Has anybody been in a similar situation? My stats are decent for OOS admission to UWSOM, but I feel like I'm a bit of a different OOS applicant than most, considering I went to high school literally 5 minutes down the road from the UW. Additionally, my extracurriculars are fairly geared toward the UWSOM mission of community involvement (and my PS is geared almost entirely to my commitment to this), but I didn't do the Peace Corps or Health Wagon or anything extreme like that.

I'm trying to get back home to the PNW and this admissions red tape is really not helping me do so. Anybody know of any way to bring some grey area into this black and white residency classification?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

UW is very specific about residency status and since you're out of state they will not treat you as a resident. That being said, I think you should shoot your shot at UW since it's only $35 for their secondary and if you're out of region they'll only give you the secondary if they think you're a good fit (sounds like you are). Just don't count on admission here. It seems like you meet the requirements for Washington State's medical school, so apply there too.