2023-2024 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2023-2024 University of Washington Secondary Essay Prompts: ( Casper is not required this year)

1. How have societal inequities in the U.S. affected you or people you have worked with? (250 words)

2. The UWSOM aims to build a diverse class of students to enrich the field of medicine. What perspectives, identities, and/or qualities would you bring? (250 words)

3. What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them? (250 words)

4. Describe your competency by explaining how you have explored and come to understand issues in the social sciences and humanities as they relate to the practice of medicine. (250 words)

5. For re-applicants: From your most recent application until now, how have you strengthened your application? (250 words)

6. For Wyoming applicants: Describe your experiences in Wyoming that have influenced and/or informed your decision to pursue a medical career?
(250 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Washington School of Medicine Interview Feedback
Hi all. Asking this question for a family member and appreciate the current insights. UW accepts something like 0.4% of OOR candidates, to my understanding. What % of OOR candidates are invited to submit the Secondary application? Unlike many other schools, I hear UW does a significant screening for ties to the region/state before sending the Secondary out. Do you have a sense of what % of OOR candidates who are sent a Secondary are later offered interviews and/or accepted? If one makes it past the initial regional screen, i.e., approved to be sent a Secondary, are the odds still 0.4% or do they get a little better?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. Asking this question for a family member and appreciate the current insights. UW accepts something like 0.4% of OOR candidates, to my understanding. What % of OOR candidates are invited to submit the Secondary application? Unlike many other schools, I hear UW does a significant screening for ties to the region/state before sending the Secondary out. Do you have a sense of what % of OOR candidates who are sent a Secondary are later offered interviews and/or accepted? If one makes it past the initial regional screen, i.e., approved to be sent a Secondary, are the odds still 0.4% or do they get a little better?
Based on data from 2022, it looks like 53.8% of OOR applicants that receive a secondary also receive an interview. Of those that interview 27.4% receive an acceptance.
1702930109657.png

Reactions: 1 users
Reposting this from the 2022-2023 thread because I was not previously aware of this (if it is true!) -
Just curious: anyone know usually how long it takes to hear back from interviews for the various cohorts? I heard from multiple people it can be really quick, but I just want to know what to expect as my interview is upcoming. Thanks in advance :)
Cohort dependent. For Spokane, A calls are (generally) on Friday of the same interview week. For Seattle, A calls are (generally) on Wednesday or Thursday of the following week. SUC and R emails usually come later (1-2 days) after the day of A calls. But I might be wrong so pls feel free to chime in.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the A call today!!! Can’t believe it. OOR interviewed 11/28

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Got the A call at 5:00 PM yesterday! IS Seattle cohort, interviewed morning of 12/15

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also just got an R after receiving the SUC email three times over the past few months since my interview... Really thought they were going to give me the A, I figured they would drag it out but thought I would get it. Guess not. :(

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
SUC now, OOR 12/15 interview

Last edited:
Has anyone this cycle been accepted after a SUC or are we likely waiting for February? Also, do we have stats of what the acceptance rate is for those who receive a SUC?

Reactions: 2 users
SUC just now! Time to relax till the holidays are over I think. Hang in there y’all <3

Reactions: 2 users
just got the R. 3 days before Christmas from my alma mater. Cruel world
Also just got an R after receiving the SUC email three times over the past few months since my interview... Really thought they were going to give me the A, I figured they would drag it out but thought I would get it. Guess not. :(
+1 Post-II R. OOR. Had a feeling after my interview. Pain. Moving forward regardless of the outcome is always necessary but hard.

Last edited:
  • Care
OOR A !!!!!!! received via email last night around 6pm EST ... an absolute dream come true :') Interviewed 11/29, received two SUC emails 12/8 & 12/11,, I was on a flight so they may have tried to call me haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
For those that have interviewed, what's your advice on interview prep, did you feel like most of your questions came from the "UW list" of questions?

how long does it usually take for the email to schedule your interview take to receive since the invite?

how long does it usually take for the email to schedule your interview take to receive since the invite?
After the invite email, I was able to schedule on my portal. Then I got an email a few days later confirming the time and date. That confirmation email might've been a bot delayed because it was right in the middle of the holidays.

After the invite email, I was able to schedule on my portal. Then I got an email a few days later confirming the time and date. That confirmation email might've been a bot delayed because it was right in the middle of the holidays.
Same, except my interview confirmation came about 2 weeks later. I scheduled my interview for about a month after I received the II though, so it was a ways out. They probably send the confirmations out once they fill all the interview slots for the day/week

Realized I won’t be able to go to the virtual visit day tomorrow because of work but already RSVP’d. Not sure how to cancel, since there’s no email. Is it cool if I just no-show?
They don't take attendance, so it should be fine. The RSVP is mainly so they can reach out to you in case there are technical difficulties.

IS Washington - Spokane cohort II invite today. Completed 8/21/23.