University of Waterloo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
btw guys, I was wondering: is anyone missing any prerequisites at all??? I remember from last years' forums that a good number of ppl always were missing courses but so far this year everyone seems to have ALL the required courses !!!

I think everyone had to get the same pre-reqs for U of T this time around so I'm sure most people have them all.

Members don't see this ad.

I posted this in the past but I am partially missing a requirement for Waterloo's cell bio course. My school doesn't offer the lab component, so it left me in a difficult position. Hopefully it won't affect my application. However, the proctor for my rc/wt did say that at this stage, the only thing they are looking at now are our test and interview, like others have confirmed on the forum. I hope this is true and that the lab I'm missing won't affect their considerations! I've taken a ton of other lab courses and have a pretty good GPA. Hopefully the committee will see that if I could have taken it, I would most likely have done well!

And by the way, not everyone has applied to both U of T and Waterloo. I met a lot of people the day of my interview who are only applying to Waterloo either because they haven't written the PCAT, really can't afford to live in Toronto/commute there, or are just dead set on going to UW (myself being part of the latter :)).

I posted this in the past but I am partially missing a requirement for Waterloo's cell bio course. My school doesn't offer the lab component, so it left me in a difficult position. Hopefully it won't affect my application. However, the proctor for my rc/wt did say that at this stage, the only thing they are looking at now are our test and interview, like others have confirmed on the forum. I hope this is true and that the lab I'm missing won't affect their considerations! I've taken a ton of other lab courses and have a pretty good GPA. Hopefully the committee will see that if I could have taken it, I would most likely have done well!

And by the way, not everyone has applied to both U of T and Waterloo. I met a lot of people the day of my interview who are only applying to Waterloo either because they haven't written the PCAT, really can't afford to live in Toronto/commute there, or are just dead set on going to UW (myself being part of the latter :)).

Wait so you didnt't take the course at all? Not even in the summer? Didn't Waterloo say that if you are missing pre-reqs you have to complete them eventually, or can they be waived?

Members don't see this ad :)
My school does offer the lecture component equivalent to the cell biology course that Waterloo desires, but not the laboratory component. So I guess that counts as taking half of it? I actually can't take the lab though unless I go to another school to take it because there's no equivalent to that lab at my school. I emailed Julie and Ken about it and they said that it's possible it could be waived, given that I've taken a lot of upper year labs (I attached the syllabi in the email) and did really well in them as well as pretty much all my other courses. On the other hand, it's also possible that if accepted, I'd be given a "conditional acceptance" or whatever... which means I'd have to enroll in a completely different university and take the lab component by January... which would really, really suck. But I mean, what do you do if your school doesn't even offer a full course equivalent? I did the best I could under the circumstances, I think. *sigh*

9 days!!! wow, single digits now. i'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone here. :)

i'm so excited you guys!!! i hope we get good newsss i really do!

I think everyone had to get the same pre-reqs for U of T this time around so I'm sure most people have them all.

I actually am missing a pre-req, a genetics course. :( So I am also hoping it doesn't affect my standing. The negative person in me thinks that this will be my downfall, but I will eventually get it done by January, if I get accepted.

Does anyone know if there were a lot of people that got accepted in previous years despite missing a pre-requisite? More importantly, do you guys believe in what the proctor said about decisions, from here on out, being made solely on the interview and RC/WT?

I'm not sure of how many there were lulz, but the website for Waterloo did say that there would be a "competitive advantage" for those who have completed all courses. That being said, given what the proctor told us, I'm thinking that advantage was only conferred up to the point where you got an interview. Once you got that far, the only things I think they are looking at now are the RC/WT and the interview. As for whether I believe what she said or not... well, what would she gain from deceiving us, right? :confused:

We will get in guys!!:clap:

Waterloo, hurry up and accept us already!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is going to be the longest week of my life.. I can honestly think of nothing but next Wednesday! :uhno:

Soon to be 7 days.... SDKFDSJFSDFHBDSHFJ

So a week from today we probably will be sitting and just refreshing our emails +pissed+ ...I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly hope they send the emails early in the morning! :xf:

so will it be an email or will we see it on quest?

good question.. I kind of think there will be emails..although I'll be checking both like CRAZY

these last few days seem super slow..anyone else have that feeling :(

actually, I'll be checking SDN.. you guys are always faster than I am LOL

you know what, Waterloo?! I'm going to add 'University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy' to my facebook education info... and you will HAVE to accept me whether you like it or not!

side note to fellow SDNers: at this point, i'm doubting everything :( not a good feeling at all

Probably like the interview invites, email first then quest update

good question.. I kind of think there will be emails..although I'll be checking both like CRAZY

these last few days seem super slow..anyone else have that feeling :(

YESSS seems like this week will go on forever :(

you know what, Waterloo?! I'm going to add 'University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy' to my facebook education info... and you will HAVE to accept me whether you like it or not!

side note to fellow SDNers: at this point, i'm doubting everything :( not a good feeling at all

looooool yazahra89 ahh I wish that was the case I would sooooo do that :p
and about having doubts...welcome to my life! One day I think to myself I am getting in for sure..and other days (like today) I feel that I don't even have a chance....ahhh Waterloo I hate you for making me go crazy

^ I'm sure everyone is having doubts at this moment.

Don't worry guys, Waterloo will accept us for sure ^^

I've been reading last year's forums, and it seems like some ppl get emails first and some others get the Quest updated first... regardless, I hope we'll all know by around 10 AM :D

actually, I'll be checking SDN.. you guys are always faster than I am LOL

Lol, SOOO agree ;) I've ALWAYS found out that something is emailed/posted from SDN!

lol, u wish ;) and tell me about mixed feelings and emotions, I replay all the admission process in my mind EVERYDAY!!! Worst feeling is that we can't do anything to increase our chances nor can we make time pass by faster :rolleyes:

I can't waitttttttttttttt!!

Hey Everyone! I am currently in first year pharmacy at UW and I just wanted to say good luck to everyone here! I know this whole process is really tough and the wait is excruciating. It feels like just yesterday I was in you're shoes waiting for my acceptance letter so I know exactly what you're going though. All I can say is you have worked really hard to get this far and you all deserve it so just stay positive! The University of Waterloo is a great school and they know how to pick truly amazing people for their program.

Good luck again to everyone!!

^ Thanks a lot!

I hope I will be seeing you on campus next year :thumbup:

Hey Everyone! I am currently in first year pharmacy at UW and I just wanted to say good luck to everyone here! I know this whole process is really tough and the wait is excruciating. It feels like just yesterday I was in you're shoes waiting for my acceptance letter so I know exactly what you're going though. All I can say is you have worked really hard to get this far and you all deserve it so just stay positive! The University of Waterloo is a great school and they know how to pick truly amazing people for their program.

Thanks so much ;)

So would u care to give us some solid reasons for choosing Waterloo over UofT ???

Thank you so much! Did you have doubts as you were waiting? How do you think your interview/test went? I'm starting to get kind of worried at this point lol

Thanks so much ;)

So would u care to give us some solid reasons for choosing Waterloo over UofT ???

Your welcome. For obvious reasons I am biased towards UW. I can't tell you reasons why UofT is not the better choice. I can tell you that UW's goal is to train their pharmaicsts to be the future of the pharmacy world. Since pharmacy is currently going through so many changes, we as student pharmacists are being forced to be this new face of pharmacy and be leaders throughout all of these changes. UW is specifically looking for students who can take on this leadership role. You will find that your class will be more outgoing then your ever imagined because UW choses students who are well rounded and who can communicate. I personally love this type of enviroment and I find everyone in the school extremely welcoming and friendly. I feel like the student community is very tight knit and full of posistive energy. From the small amount I have learnt from UofT student I have found that our curriculum is more advanced than theirs in the sense that we are learning things in 1st year that they may not be learning until 3rd year. Lastly the co-op program is truly an advantage for UW students because it gives us a chance to work in 4 different environments with various pharmacists. The pharmacy community is quite small and making these connections early on in our career will give us a huge leg up when looking for jobs in the future.

Overall, they are both great schools so choose the one that makes you feel the most comfortable and confident!

Thank you so much! Did you have doubts as you were waiting? How do you think your interview/test went? I'm starting to get kind of worried at this point lol

Reading the comments here I defiantly had all of the same worries that everyone else is feeling. After the test and interview I felt good, but there is no way to tell where you stand compared to people you don't know. At this point you know you have done your best and you know you deserve it so just try and relax, If you you let the interviewers see who you are during your interview, then I think that's the most important thing.

Just stay positive!

5 MORE DAYS! WOOOHOOO :soexcited:

I'm so excited as we get closer and closer ;) It's just that I have the HARDEST time falling sleep these days (u can probably tell by looking at the time I posted this) :rolleyes:

Your welcome. For obvious reasons I am biased towards UW. I can't tell you reasons why UofT is not the better choice. I can tell you that UW's goal is to train their pharmaicsts to be the future of the pharmacy world. Since pharmacy is currently going through so many changes, we as student pharmacists are being forced to be this new face of pharmacy and be leaders throughout all of these changes. UW is specifically looking for students who can take on this leadership role. You will find that your class will be more outgoing then your ever imagined because UW choses students who are well rounded and who can communicate. I personally love this type of enviroment and I find everyone in the school extremely welcoming and friendly. I feel like the student community is very tight knit and full of posistive energy. From the small amount I have learnt from UofT student I have found that our curriculum is more advanced than theirs in the sense that we are learning things in 1st year that they may not be learning until 3rd year. Lastly the co-op program is truly an advantage for UW students because it gives us a chance to work in 4 different environments with various pharmacists. The pharmacy community is quite small and making these connections early on in our career will give us a huge leg up when looking for jobs in the future.
Overall, they are both great schools so choose the one that makes you feel the most comfortable and confident
Reading the comments here I defiantly had all of the same worries that everyone else is feeling. After the test and interview I felt good, but there is no way to tell where you stand compared to people you don't know. At this point you know you have done your best and you know you deserve it so just try and relax, If you you let the interviewers see who you are during your interview, then I think that's the most important thing.
Just stay positive!

Thanks again for your insight. You definitely have very legit points... just a side note that UofT will be upgrading their curriculum next year, so I don't think Waterloo will have that much of an edge with regards to curriculum. But the co-op option is very appealing and I even know a pharm student (in her 4th year now) who got a solid job offer upon graduation just through the contacts she made in her co-op placements. At the end, it's still a VERY difficult choice to make for those who have the luxury of picking between these fine programs ;)

Come on, can we just fast forward to June 15 please??? I CAN'T WAIT ANYMOOOREE :p

Good luck on your Waterloo applications everyone! Although I'm not applying to the school I want to say that you deserve it and I hope to hear good news from you guys after 4 days!

Good luck on your Waterloo applications everyone! Although I'm not applying to the school I want to say that you deserve it and I hope to hear good news from you guys after 4 days!

Thank you! That's really nice of you. I hope you hear good news from UofT! :luck:

i wish i can sleep and wake up on june 15th around noon time :p lol

getting so close ;) hope all you guys are coping well with the anxiety !!!

This is crazy guys!! I can't wait!

omg omg omg omg its almost Wednesday..the decision is only 2 nights away!!!
I really hope we all get in :xf:

you guys freaked me out for a sec with all those happy/jumpy faces ^^^ I thought decisions were up for a moment ;)

Can't wait anymore, but I'm sure we're all in :D