University of Waterloo c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol doooods. Your wait is over! =)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i havent got any email yet :( does it mean i didnt make it?

Urm...I think they'd tell you explicitly if you didn't make it. Keep hoping!

i havent got any email yet :( does it mean i didnt make it?

me neither

for those that got the offers: what does your quest account say now?
mine still says: We have received your application, but no decision has been made yet.

Same thing. We just got the e-mails though. I hazard they will update it once everything's been sent out.

Urm...I think they'd tell you explicitly if you didn't make it. Keep hoping!

yes but im worried cuz last time i received the interview email at 10:30am, and i remember seeing few people who didnt get their emails, receive replies back from waterloo later in the day rejecting their application. hopefully this is not the case here too :(

Assume it's still alive until they kill it. Did you apply to UofT as well?

just received it..didnt make it :( i did expect it though considering how badly i did in my interview

does anyone know if there is a waiting list or if there is a way to reapply for an early acceptance for winter 2013 again like last time?

also how can we know what we really did bad on?

Assume it's still alive until they kill it. Did you apply to UofT as well?

no i didnt becuz i never took a full course load year during my undergraduate study. waterloo is my one chance really

me neither

for those that got the offers: what does your quest account say now?
mine still says: We have received your application, but no decision has been made yet.

i wish i could tell you but i never got my quest account to work!

Members don't see this ad :)
They don't tell you where you went wrong though...it could have been the RC/WT, it could have been the interview. And there might be an extra application like mine this year depending on how many people were admitted and how many people accepted/declined the offer.

Keep on trying! There's always a way in if you keep at it! :)

They don't tell you where you went wrong though...it could have been the RC/WT, it could have been the interview. And there might be an extra application like mine this year depending on how many people were admitted and how many people accepted/declined the offer.

Keep on trying! There's always a way in if you keep at it! :)

yes i just talked to Julie and she said that an early application may be opened but only once the university knows how many students will accept/reject their admittance offer by the end of June.

i was wondering though do u think its possible to submit the same profile again while making few changes like adding the marks that were not included before..etc?? i asked her this and she said its fine but i got the impression that she doesnt know much about how the admission committee selects its candidates..or maybe she was just trying to be nice

That...I am not sure of. I think you would be able to though.

yea will c how it goes..im kinda hopping that everyone who has applied to UofT gets in and decides to reject waterloo lol

Lol we're all probably hoping the same thing.......XD

FYI, this is what mine looks like now:

loo.jpg

Received an offer today :) Gonna wait for uoft though :p
Congrats to everyone who got accepted!
and for those who didn't, don't give up hope and try again :)

No internet access so couldn't check day of =p just checked today and got in!! Trying to resist the urge to reply to them right away...better wait for news from u of t.

Hey
I have a little pro/con list for waterloo vs uoft (with help from ryanco64) to help those who might have trouble deciding.

Waterloo pros

Co-op (experience + money!)
Quiet campus in Kitchener (pro or con)
Smaller class size feels more personal

Waterloo cons

BSc instead of PharmD (to be confirmed)
Less networking opportunities (but co-op!)

UofT pros

PharmD (to be confirmed)
Downtown campus is lively
Networking opportunities are better
can rewrite exams if you fail
only 6 exams first yr per term (9 for waterloo)
Cheaper tuition

UofT cons

No paid work experience gauranteed
Downtown campus can be distracting
The class feels less personal

Feel free to add to the list

Hey
I have a little pro/con list for waterloo vs uoft (with help from ryanco64) to help those who might have trouble deciding.

Waterloo pros

Co-op (experience + money!)
Smaller class size feels more personal

Waterloo cons

BSc instead of PharmD (to be confirmed)
Less networking opportunities (but co-op!)

UofT pros

PharmD (to be confirmed)
Downtown campus is lively
Networking opportunities are better
can rewrite exams if you fail
only 6 exams first yr per term (9 for waterloo)
Cheaper tuition

UofT cons

No paid work experience gauranteed
Downtown campus can be distracting
The class feels less personal

Feel free to add to the list
What do you mean by less networking opportunities? I know what networking is, etc. but why is there less at Waterloo?

I also got accepted! Just waiting for toronto now..

I guess what ryanco64 meant by that was that there is less alumni to network with, so there are less opportunities. I think ryanco64 was specifically refering to alumni, becuase I dont think there would be less opportunity in terms of professors, managers, employers etc..

Toronto has a crazy established healthcare professional network. You get more opportunities to meet more people in fields related to yours in my opinion.

This forum is dead lol. Has anyone already accepted their offer? It is planning to today?

Hi Everyone!

Congrats to everyone that got accepted, I look forward to meeting you all in Jan2013.

Has anyone started looking at apartments/condos in Waterloo yet? Any students coming from Montreal - McGill?!

:D:)

Hi Everyone!

Congrats to everyone that got accepted, I look forward to meeting you all in Jan2013.

Has anyone started looking at apartments/condos in Waterloo yet? Any students coming from Montreal - McGill?!

:D:)

I just graduated from McGill this May, and accepted offer to Waterloo a few days ago =P

By the way, I don't recall application requirements saying anything about high school transcripts, but on quest it says under high school: "transcript - desired". Does anyone know what is up with that? Their not having it hasn't exactly stopped them from giving me an offer of admission...and it says "all conditions have been met".

Does anyone know if there will be an early application for cycle 2013? I already emailed Julie but she didnt answer me specifically.

Does anyone know if there will be an early application for cycle 2013? I already emailed Julie but she didnt answer me specifically.

i have a friend who called and e-mailed about the same thing, and julie or someone else e-mailed back saying to be on the lookout in late july as early application might occur. based on what i've read here, it's happened two years in a row.

My take on it is if a lot of people decline their offers, they will open the special admissions later on to fill up the seats for January.

Which seems to be the case since there are quite a few people who applied to both Waterloo and UofT and are going to UofT.

So there's a good chance it will happen!

First of all I would like to congratulate everyone who received their offer and accepted the offer to attend UW pharmacy next January.
IS there anyone willing to create a facebook group for UW pharmacy 2016 (I suck using facebook).
I did 3 years of co-op biology at UW with 82% GPA and had a pretty good interview.

Looking forward to meet you guys next year :)

Congrats to everyone who's joining the class of 2016. Thanks for creating the facebook group, although we need a waterloo email to join it, which i'm assuming we will have access to in the near future.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has received any more additional information yet? (other than the offer of admission).

I believe your Waterloo email is on the quest website under personal information. If not that will be where it is when it is updated. If I'm not mistaken your quest user name is also your email. Ex. [email protected]

Yeah, your probabley right. Under campus email in quest it says "none" for me, so it might be the case were not getting emails till later on? It's not a big issue for me, but I would like to join the facebook group.

hey guys i'm in a bit of a bind :S, does anyone have any wisdom on my situation?

I'm thinking of applying to Waterloo, but I'm missing the microbio requirement and I can't take it cuz it's a 3rd year course (i'm a 2nd year) and its full with a really long waiting list.

My average is ~80% and I have LOR from a pharmacist and many other ECs but should I even apply at all?

:confused::confused::confused:

You can apply for the class starting in January 2014 if you plan on taking the course in the fall semester before school starts. There general rule is that you have to have all courses by the time the program starts in January. Not having a pre-req can SOMETIMES put you at a disadvantage depending on how strong the applicant pool is. But I would definitely say go for it!

Do ittttt. I did. And got in. And got deferred for a year.

But got in. That's what counts!

just curious....did anyone reject their offers at UW?

I heard from a friend that someone is failing her courses at Waterloo school of pharmacy. Is it really that hard or is she just exaggerating? I want to hear from a pharmacy student. Please be honest.

I honestly don't know how someone could go through the entire admissions process, get interviewed, and offered a spot in the class just to fail. If she's in the school then she was obviously academically qualified, and probably not applying herself or has lost interest in the program. I just can't see someone failing due to pure difficulty...

Hey there Rx2016s. I'm a current student of Rx2015 and although a bit late I thought I'd share some thoughts.

I got accepted in both UW and UofT last year, I chose UW. Why?

1. Smaller class - you get to know EVERYONE. Literally. Everyone knows everyone after a while, everyone likes everyone. You make friends right off the bat as the program is structured around heavy group work. Professors get to know you, hell up until the main campus started complaining, we didn't even have to show our student ID to write an exam because the profs all know our faces if not our names.

2. Independence - if you have the choice chose to go to UW if you're currently living at home and going to Uni. Its a whole other experience and really helps to develop you as a person.

3. Co-Op program - I'm going into my first co-op job next month, its an exciting time. I get experience and best of all I get paid while learning. The employers know your students and adjust what you do accordingly. After my first two semesters of studying I cant wait to apply what I've learned.

4. Group work - the entire program is structured around heavy group work. This is good, as someone who didnt know a single person coming in last january it would've been tough to make new friends right off the bat. The group work really helped, the members of my group are some of my best friends now.

5. Volunteering - you have an entire class built around volunteering. You get placed in a community organization and help that organization out. It looks great on your resume, especially if its empty like mine was.

6. Presentations - most people, including me, are terrified of these. We have a great prof here that really builds your confidence. In first year you will do a decent number of presentations but I promise you'll love doing them by the end.

Now there are cons to the program. Its relatively new so they are making changes. Our class has been extremely vocal this year and we've made sure future years will have a better program by voicing what we didn't like and what we did. A lot of courses we felt were a complete waste of time, but ofcourse its not like attendance is mandatory so we skipped.

Biggest con - anatomy. Its a very tough course, it covers an entire textbook of material in 2 semesters, along with labs and bell ringers. Each exam is cumulative, the final exams are tough. This is the course everyone dreads, at the same time we learn a lot. At UofT you'll get a single semester of second year anatomy, nothing learned. This is the real deal anatomy course and you will be challenged but you'll understand how everything fits together in the end, both with the course's chapters and with other courses.

Honestly, I'm just about wrapping up my first year of studies and I love the program. I do not regret chosing UW over UofT, infact I feel I made the right choice. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or post here.

Hey there Rx2016s. I'm a current student of Rx2015 and although a bit late I thought I'd share some thoughts.

I got accepted in both UW and UofT last year, I chose UW. Why?

1. Smaller class - you get to know EVERYONE. Literally. Everyone knows everyone after a while, everyone likes everyone. You make friends right off the bat as the program is structured around heavy group work. Professors get to know you, hell up until the main campus started complaining, we didn't even have to show our student ID to write an exam because the profs all know our faces if not our names.

2. Independence - if you have the choice chose to go to UW if you're currently living at home and going to Uni. Its a whole other experience and really helps to develop you as a person.

3. Co-Op program - I'm going into my first co-op job next month, its an exciting time. I get experience and best of all I get paid while learning. The employers know your students and adjust what you do accordingly. After my first two semesters of studying I cant wait to apply what I've learned.

4. Group work - the entire program is structured around heavy group work. This is good, as someone who didnt know a single person coming in last january it would've been tough to make new friends right off the bat. The group work really helped, the members of my group are some of my best friends now.

5. Volunteering - you have an entire class built around volunteering. You get placed in a community organization and help that organization out. It looks great on your resume, especially if its empty like mine was.

6. Presentations - most people, including me, are terrified of these. We have a great prof here that really builds your confidence. In first year you will do a decent number of presentations but I promise you'll love doing them by the end.

Now there are cons to the program. Its relatively new so they are making changes. Our class has been extremely vocal this year and we've made sure future years will have a better program by voicing what we didn't like and what we did. A lot of courses we felt were a complete waste of time, but ofcourse its not like attendance is mandatory so we skipped.

Biggest con - anatomy. Its a very tough course, it covers an entire textbook of material in 2 semesters, along with labs and bell ringers. Each exam is cumulative, the final exams are tough. This is the course everyone dreads, at the same time we learn a lot. At UofT you'll get a single semester of second year anatomy, nothing learned. This is the real deal anatomy course and you will be challenged but you'll understand how everything fits together in the end, both with the course's chapters and with other courses.

Honestly, I'm just about wrapping up my first year of studies and I love the program. I do not regret chosing UW over UofT, infact I feel I made the right choice. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or post here.

Do you happen to come accross anyone who failed one or more courses...I heard the passing mark can be high.

Do you happen to come accross anyone who failed one or more courses...I heard the passing mark can be high.

No one in the class has failed any classes. The passing grade for all classes except one is 50%, but you need an average of 60% to continue on in the program.

The only class that you need a high mark in is Calculations. You need to get atleast 90% on the exam to pass. You get 3 chances to pass the class though, if you pass the midterm exam you're finished that class for the rest of the semester. Its quite challenging in that the material isn't hard but you have a lot to memorize and when exam time comes, you have very little time to do a ton of questions. Its literally a race to finish the exam on time, while at the same time making sure you make next to no mistakes as a single mark could mean you fail.

Overall the courses vary from stupidly easy to incredibly hard, there are times when you wonder how the hell you're going to make it through the year but I have yet to hear anyone being held back a year - meaning everyone passes.

I honestly don't know how someone could go through the entire admissions process, get interviewed, and offered a spot in the class just to fail. If she's in the school then she was obviously academically qualified, and probably not applying herself or has lost interest in the program. I just can't see someone failing due to pure difficulty...

AFAIK no one has failed, however many people do get close. There IS hard material, however thats not the issue. The issue is the amount of material. Many of the exams are cumulative from day 1, I've used anatomy as an example but that was a very tough exam. Exam periods are very tight, during semester 1 we had a final exam everyday for 2 weeks with a single week of breaks for studying. During semester 2, which we just finished, we had 3-4 days of studying thanks to the long weekend but it wasn't as tightly spaced, however the 3 most dense exams were each a day apart, the entire class ended up studying the night before for an exam which was cumulative.

tl;dr: Its an extremely tough program, if you got in it means you have what it takes to succeed but that doesn't mean you will find it easy. No matter how keen you are by semester 2 you will get tired and begin to loose interest but thats normal, you're going to be studying through the summer afterall!

How was metabolism? chem 333?

His exams were tough, there was a decent amount of material but his lecture slides are all you need to follow. Very few people went to his class since it was very late, very boring and during snow storms. If you took metabolism before and decided not to exempt yourself you'll be fine but he did bell curve the marks for us since someone I know got near 100% on it even though he did quite bad on the midterm.