University of Waterloo c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
More like they ask you a general question something like: What is your greatest strength and give us an example of when you demonstrated it.

Then it all goes downhill from there. :oops:

And for the first 10 minutes, it's all you. No interruptions.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks ryanco64, but just to clarify, that strength question would be something you would find in the writing component for instance right?

good luck to everyone by the way!

thanks ryanco64, but just to clarify, that strength question would be something you would find in the writing component for instance right?

good luck to everyone by the way!

Could be, could be not. Just be prepared for anything they can throw out at you. They said the interviews would last around an hour but I finished in 20 minutes haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really nervous for the interview...gonna look a right idiot in april trying to impress the panel with no pharmacy experience and not an exactly overflowing list of ECs =_=:::

I'm really nervous for the interview...gonna look a right idiot in april trying to impress the panel with no pharmacy experience and not an exactly overflowing list of ECs =_=:::

Practice, practice, practice. It's only a little different from a job interview. Write down what you want the committee's impression of you to be, then keep that in mind and relate your answers to it. (Generally, "I am a great fit for your pharmacy program because..." and "I will be a great pharmacist because..." in combination will cover most of your bases.) The coherency will help. The adults (parents, mentors) in your life have interviewed a number of times & can probably help you hone the skill you need. It's not so much about memorization as it is about knowing generally what you want to say & answering to that end on the spot. Come up with examples and stories as to what life skills you learned from your limited ECs, your role models, and school. Hope that helps some. :)

Sorry to intrude on your class thread - I now return you to your regularly scheduled program. Good luck all of you still yet to interview. :luck:

Practice, practice, practice. It's only a little different from a job interview. Write down what you want the committee's impression of you to be, then keep that in mind and relate your answers to it. (Generally, "I am a great fit for your pharmacy program because..." and "I will be a great pharmacist because..." in combination will cover most of your bases.) The coherency will help. The adults (parents, mentors) in your life have interviewed a number of times & can probably help you hone the skill you need. It's not so much about memorization as it is about knowing generally what you want to say & answering to that end on the spot. Come up with examples and stories as to what life skills you learned from your limited ECs, your role models, and school. Hope that helps some. :)

Thank you for the advice!

just wanna ask those who got the interview offer did u guys get a reply from UW after u replied to the invite and confirmed ur attendance?

i replied to my invite last thursday confirming my attendance but i havent heard anything back about whether they got my email or not..

is this normal?

im just soo nervous that something would go wrong and i would lose my spot

messed up 2-3 stations (at least from my perspective). just two tips really: keep calm and wear a suit. Also, try to learn how to deal with awkward situations, i.e. staring and not talking XD
Wear a suit? Like a formal suit? Any colour in particular? Any suggestion for the colours of the shirts, ties, and shoes? I am so nervous. :scared:

just wanna ask those who got the interview offer did u guys get a reply from UW after u replied to the invite and confirmed ur attendance?

i replied to my invite last thursday confirming my attendance but i havent heard anything back about whether they got my email or not..

is this normal?

im just soo nervous that something would go wrong and i would lose my spot

I was wondering the same thing. Replied over the weekend, so gonna wait and see anything will be sent this week. Does anybody know if we get a reply after we confirm our interview time?

I was wondering the same thing. Replied over the weekend, so gonna wait and see anything will be sent this week. Does anybody know if we get a reply after we confirm our interview time?

I replied on Sunday and still haven't heard from UW. I don't know if that's normal. I hope UW confirms. It would relieve anxiety.

should we just call them? cuz the deadline is suppose to be April 12...i donno wanna wait till after April 12 to find out :scared:

a few more questions as we`re getting closer to the day of the interviews!

so from what I understand, the interviews are open file? meaning they will have access to our application profile and will ask questions regarding it?

also, might be a silly question, but are we allowed to stand during our presentations?

They know about what you wrote in the application, so repeating it would be useless unless you want to highlight something special out.

Also, feel free to sit or stand during your 10 minutes of fame!

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so in case anybody is interested i just called Heather from UW and she told me that my name was confirmed right after i replied to the email, and we will all be sent another email within the next 2 weeks with more info about the interview and the test :)

a few more questions as we`re getting closer to the day of the interviews!

so from what I understand, the interviews are open file? meaning they will have access to our application profile and will ask questions regarding it?

also, might be a silly question, but are we allowed to stand during our presentations?

How do you know it's open file?

ok so in case anybody is interested i just called Heather from UW and she told me that my name was confirmed right after i replied to the email, and we will all be sent another email within the next 2 weeks with more info about the interview and the test :)

So, everyone who replied are confirmed to attend the interview? If I already replied to the email, I don't have to worry because it is guaranteed that Heather recieved my confirmation? (UW must have gotten an incredible email)

So, everyone who replied are confirmed to attend the interview? If I already replied to the email, I don't have to worry because it is guaranteed that Heather recieved my confirmation? (UW must have gotten an incredible email)

thats what i understood from her. when i called i asked her to check if my name has been confirmed and she saw that it was confirmed following my reply to the email on thursday. so yes i would say that whoever replied is now confirmed.

she did say the uni will be sending an email either next or the week after to all of those who have confirmed their attendance with more info about the interview and the test

They know about what you wrote in the application, so repeating it would be useless unless you want to highlight something special out.

Also, feel free to sit or stand during your 10 minutes of fame!

Does that mean they could refer to something you wrote in the application? I read somewhere else that it's a "blind interview", ie. they haven't read your application. Someone mentioned this online after attending a uwaterloo pharmacy interview workshop. But I also read just now from another site that they've already reviewed your paper application :confused:

Does that mean they could refer to something you wrote in the application? I read somewhere else that it's a "blind interview", ie. they haven't read your application. Someone mentioned this online after attending a uwaterloo pharmacy interview workshop. But I also read just now from another site that they've already reviewed your paper application :confused:

blind interview? :uhno: then what was the point of writing the profile and filling the application out? :eyebrow:

i'm sure the AP form will be taken into consideration during the final selection process even though the interviewers themselves haven't seen your profile yet, if that's really the case. the admissions committee must have also looked at your AP form in the first place to give you the interview.

hopefully someone knows whether this will be an open file or closed file interview. it really does difference as to how we would prepare for our interviews!

From what I recall, they have access to your application and your supplementary form. That is why they tell you to make something unique for your 10 minute presentation, not highlight what you already wrote on the supplementary form.

Unless you want to use what you already wrote down to prove a stronger point, then by all means go ahead. :)

No, the interviewers themsevles don't have access to your AP, grades and extracirricular information. Source: uwaterloo pharmacy workshop

My mistake, WaterlooWannabe is correct. I opened the e-mail I got and here comes the paragraph:

The interview panel will consist of practicing pharmacists and upper year Pharmacy students. At the beginning of the interview, you will be given a period of up to 10 minutes to provide the panel with insights about you as an individual. This is NOT the time to describe your academic achievements at length, recite your CV, or describe your ambitions for a career as a pharmacist. Rather, it is your opportunity to present something that you are passionate about, to leave an impression on the interview panel about who you are as a person. You might choose, for example, to focus on a hobby, skill, project, travel experience, personal challenge or any other aspect of your life that you wish to highlight. You can be as creative and innovative as you like in order to express and distinguish yourself. The interviewers will typically NOT have seen your transcripts, Admission Profile, or Letter of Reference, so you should approach the interview from the perspective that they likely do not know anything about you. They only know that you are being considered for admission based on your academic performance and other admission criteria.

I hope that helps you guys prepare!

hmm that's interesting, because the part that states that they don't have access to our information is not included in the e-mail that was sent out last week. but i hope that little blurb puts the debate of closed/open file to an end. =)

This was from the interviews last November. I don't know if the same thing applies in your situation, but eh, it probably will. :)

In the past years of interviews they have always been "blind". So the interviews know nothing about you. I think this is a good thing since they can't be bias towards anyone before they have had a chnace to meet you. The interviews are usually by pharmacists and upper year students. They do not consider your application in the final decision. It is completely based off of the interview and the written portion. Once you make it to the interview they already know you are academically capable. In the interview they are looking for people who can communicate and who are going to be leaders of the pharmacy profession.

this is my first time doing an interview and a writing/comprehension test so excuse me if the following questions may sound weird but what exactly is the test about? ie what kind of questions are we gonna get? and are we suppose to answer them using essay format or what exactly?

also the interview will just involve them asking us questions and seeing how we can communicate them right? can the pple who have already done their interviews before give us few examples of the questions the panel will be asking?

Here's a topic: write an essay on it.
Here's an article, here are questions: read the article and answer the questions.

Interview questions: ranging from why do you want to be a pharmacist, what qualities suited to the profession do you possess, etc. General things like that.

Here's an article, here are questions: read the article and answer the questions.

Interview questions: ranging from why do you want to be a pharmacist, what qualities suited to the profession do you possess, etc. General things like that.

Does anyone know whether UW will make us summarize a scientific article?

oh ok thank u soo much...:)

i was hopping the test answers can be typed up but i guess its a normal handwritten test..i hope they can understand my handwriting LOL

The contents of le test will be le confidential, so I cannot really say what you will exactly be doing.

If you've done the pcat, it's something like the english portions.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here received any further info from Heather yet? :scared:

oh my...interviews are in a week!:scared:
how are you all preparing for it?

When I did mine, zero preparation. :D

You cannot practice what to say and expect to execute it perfectly, but it helps if you find out answers to common questions you might expect in an admissions interview. They said the interviews last for an hour, and I did mine in 20 minutes. Don't let the amount of time it takes you to finish bother you.

When I did mine, zero preparation. :D

You cannot practice what to say and expect to execute it perfectly, but it helps if you find out answers to common questions you might expect in an admissions interview. They said the interviews last for an hour, and I did mine in 20 minutes. Don't let the amount of time it takes you to finish bother you.

oh..but didnt u prepare for a topic to talk about in the first 5-10 minutes?...im having such a hard time trying to find an interesting topic to discuss...:bang:

i havent received anything either yet..i wish they would send out the instructions already..

oh..but didnt u prepare for a topic to talk about in the first 5-10 minutes?...im having such a hard time trying to find an interesting topic to discuss...:bang:

i havent received anything either yet..i wish they would send out the instructions already..

Lol not even. I just talked about my experience of moving from the Philippines to Quebec and finally Ontario. I didn't even prepare a speech, it was ad lib.

Lol not even. I just talked about my experience of moving from the Philippines to Quebec and finally Ontario. I didn't even prepare a speech, it was ad lib.

LOL ur lucky though ..i can never do those kinds of interviews without preparation first..heck im also gonna be preparing how to say my name to them. :uhno:

Well, I have gone through at least 10 job interviews already...haha. I guess I'm more used to selling myself if anything. :)

i got my email earlier today but it had pretty much the same info as the previous one..

does anyone know if the panel will ask us specific questions related to the work of a pharmacist such as differentiating b/w generic and brand name drugs, or whether a pharmacist is allowed to give out medication, that should be processed as refills over a period of 3 months, in one shot such that the patient end up getting all 90 pills together instead of 30 this month, 30 next month, and 30 the month after?

no, they wont ask questions like that. You aren't expected to know all that stuff yet (although it is a bonus if you do!)

But, for the RC WT, I know that originally they used to have an article to summarize for a high school paper. Last year they changed it so that you had to answer questions on an article and write an essay on a general topic in 1 hr. But this yr, in the email they sent, it says 1.5 hrs, so Im wondering, do you think it will be different this year? I emailed Ken Potvin and he said that details will be given on the actual day of the test.

You guys excitedly nervous? :)

Good luck to you all! Friday's almost here!

Omg, how did you guys prepare for the presentation? I'm so nervous and I still haven't fully decided what I'm gonna to say specifically..:(

no, they wont ask questions like that. You aren't expected to know all that stuff yet (although it is a bonus if you do!)

But, for the RC WT, I know that originally they used to have an article to summarize for a high school paper. Last year they changed it so that you had to answer questions on an article and write an essay on a general topic in 1 hr. But this yr, in the email they sent, it says 1.5 hrs, so Im wondering, do you think it will be different this year? I emailed Ken Potvin and he said that details will be given on the actual day of the test.

i hope ur right :scared: becuz i heard that in the optomerty interview they do ask questions about how to behave if a patient does this or that

as for the test, im guessing they increased the time becuz pple werent able to fully finish the essay in one hour only..or they might have done a bad job at it becuz of the time limit.

i hope ur right :scared: becuz i heard that in the optomerty interview they do ask questions about how to behave if a patient does this or that

as for the test, im guessing they increased the time becuz pple werent able to fully finish the essay in one hour only..or they might have done a bad job at it becuz of the time limit.
yeah, thats what I thought as well.. We'll find out soon enough! :p

I did it on a handicap then...haha. I finished the essay and test before the hour was up though, had like 10 minutes left. :D

It's not so bad. You just have to work smart.

I did it on a handicap then...haha. I finished the essay and test before the hour was up though, had like 10 minutes left. :D

It's not so bad. You just have to work smart.
any tips on working smart? :p