Unpublished Case Report Under Research Experience ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GIDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a case series/case report that has been submitted to a journal but is currently "under review." Would it be okay to include this under "research experience"? I have seen a lot of mixed thoughts if case reports actually qualify as research. I just want to include it somewhere because I don't have any publications. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Case reports on their own don't constitute research, in my experience. A case series... perhaps. And until your report is accepted for publication somewhere, it doesn't count as a pub either. I'm sure it's probably disappointing to hear this, but I'd hate for a PD or whoever to call you out on this down the road.

I think you can list it under peer reviewer articles other than published or whatever, because it's currently in consideration.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a case series/case report that has been submitted to a journal but is currently "under review." Would it be okay to include this under "research experience"? I have seen a lot of mixed thoughts if case reports actually qualify as research. I just want to include it somewhere because I don't have any publications. Thanks!
There is an option in ERAS publications that says “other than published” that you can submit that to. You can list what journal you submitted to. Whether or not you want to consider it research or not is entirely up to you. Of all the research publications you can have case reports are probably weighted the least. Case series probably weighted more.