Unsure of next steps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waveringatom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Unfortunately, my cycle did not go as planned so far. I received 2 interviews (post II R and WL). Silence otherwise.

I know my biggest red flag on my application was my GPA. I thought my post bacc of 19 credits (3.9) GPA would offset that concern, but I don't believe it did.

What should be my next steps?

ORM

Final GPA (including post bacc)

3.23 cGPA
3.12 sGPA

Post Bacc GPA (19 credits upper division science)
3.95 cGPA and sGPA

MCAT:
507 (124 CARS)

ECs:
Volunteering at a women's shelter
Feeding the homeless
Shadowing
Psych intern (clinical)
Started public speaking organization
Photographer
Several leadership roles
Starting hospice soon

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am no expert on this since I am probably in a worse situation than you but, I know that we should make sure all components of the application are good. Did you have your personal statement proofred by several people? Did you apply on-time? DId you have a good school list (Not too many reach schools?). It perhaps could be a bad letter of recommendation? It sounds like there is a red flag on your application because your post-bacc gpa should have been enough. It is important to apply to the right schools, because not all med schools reward reinvention. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can comment on this! I hope I helped.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

Unfortunately, my cycle did not go as planned so far. I received 2 interviews (post II R and WL). Silence otherwise.

I know my biggest red flag on my application was my GPA. I thought my post bacc of 19 credits (3.9) GPA would offset that concern, but I don't believe it did.

What should be my next steps?

ORM

Final GPA (including post bacc)

3.23 cGPA
3.12 sGPA

Post Bacc GPA (19 credits upper division science)
3.95 cGPA and sGPA

MCAT:
507 (124 CARS)

ECs:
Volunteering at a women's shelter
Feeding the homeless
Shadowing
Psych intern (clinical)
Started public speaking organization
Photographer
Several leadership roles
Starting hospice soon
The posts above have good questions. It's important to mention not all post-Bacc programs are created equal. Also, one thing that immediately strikes me is the lack of research experience in your ECs. Do you have multiple attempts at the MCAT? How polished is your application?

The posts above have good questions. It's important to mention not all post-Bacc programs are created equal. Also, one thing that immediately strikes me is the lack of research experience in your ECs. Do you have multiple attempts at the MCAT? How polished is your application?
Research isnt necessary

Where is your state of residence ? Where were you interviewed ? Did you apply to any DO schools ?

My state of residence will be TX for the upcoming cycle (have lived here since May 2018, but was FL for the current cycle).
I interviewed at ATSU-SOMA and BCOM.

All my school list was DO schools. I didn't think I would have a shot at MD schools with my GPA and MCAT.

I did not have research. Since I only applied DO schools, I didn't think it would be that big of a detriment in my app. My DIY post-bacc was done at my university where I graduated from and consisted of upper division undergraduate courses that mimicked medical school courses (histology, embryology, etc...)

I've only taken the MCAT once.

I thought I did fairly decent for my application. Several people proofread my personal statement and secondaries. It tied my experiences and commitment to community service together.

I suggest applying more broadly to DO schools this June and include all these:
TCOM
UIWSOM
Sam Houston State (new school)
ICOM
BCOM
ATSU-SOMA
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)

My state of residence will be TX for the upcoming cycle (have lived here since May 2018, but was FL for the current cycle).
I interviewed at ATSU-SOMA and BCOM.

All my school list was DO schools. I didn't think I would have a shot at MD schools with my GPA and MCAT.
I think if you're interviewed at ATSU-SOMA (a more stat-oriented DO school), you're ok.

I suggest applying more broadly to DO schools this June and include all these:
TCOM
UIWSOM
Sam Houston State (new school)
ICOM
BCOM
ATSU-SOMA
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
Is it still advisable for me to reapply? I have no changes in my application stats-wise. Also, my school list for this cycle is the same you have provided, save for TCOM and Sam Houston.

From your posts, it doesn't appear as if you have any red flags on your apps other than the GPAs. However, we do have very similar GPAs, but your MCAT is higher. I had one interview and one acceptance this cycle. Did you apply broadly enough? Did you feel like your interviews went well?

Do you have a LOR in your application that may not be positive ? Any other red flag ? When did you complete your secondaries ? You may need to rewrite your personal statements also. With your MCAT of 507 you should receive more than 2 interviews. If you do not reapply this June then take another year of science courses to raise your sGPA.

Maybe you need more postbac classes to prove to adcoms that you’ve reinvented yourself. 19 units is only a handful of classes.