UNT SMP for Texas Medial Schools (TMDSAS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Healthful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have read in multiple threads how TMDSAS MD schools put more emphasis on the uGPA of applicants even with stellar SMP grades (4.0). Would this put an applicant such as myself who has a not so stellar uGPA in the non-competitive stack of MD applicants. I wanted to see if anyone had any insight on this claim along with if any of my stats listed above make gaining acceptance to a MD program after completion of the SMP.

I'm currently an in-state resident of Texas and a senior at one of the big public universities in the state. I have been looking at the UNT SMP program and have read around 20+ threads about this program and have gotten tons of info on the program and the type of people that apply. My GPA has seen an upward trend (~3.7 last 30 hrs - still have senior year) with two low points sophomore year due to both of my parents becoming ill in another city, and my uGPA currently is a 3.2. I received Cs in both of the organic chemistry series but took inorganic this past semester (A) and am going to be taking physical chemistry for the life sciences this fall. Medical exposure has been phenomenal with multiple specialties being shadowed, 300+ hrs of volunteering hospital, 2 yrs mentoring, and 1 yr scribing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,
I was rejected by this program and received a file review. They gave me a few pointers to better my chances. They told me that the application is due really early (Mid March). Try to finish their application right after your fall grades are submitted (Late December) to maximize your chances. If you have any Cs, re-take it and get an A. Do ochem I and II at a community college and during the fall. Apparently they do grade replacement for the program. It is best if you could try to get your overall GPA close to a 3.4~3.5 (this year's class average is a 3.46). Your MCAT is great since this year's class was a 503.

Hope what I'm telling you help.