UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got put on Hold this morning. No idea what that means but at least it's not a rejection haha.
I’ll bet it’s to re-review after the deadline so the next committee meeting!

Members don't see this ad.

Same here unfortunately. What other programs did you apply to if you don’t mind me asking?
I applied to Rocky vistas, NYITCOM Arkansas, and Bluefield/VCOM. I got an acceptance from VCOM and NYITCOM. I got waitlisted at Rocky Vistas. All have high matriculation into the DO schools

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Rocky vistas, NYITCOM Arkansas, and Bluefield/VCOM. I got an acceptance from VCOM and I’m waiting to hear back from the others. All have high matriculation into the DO schools
I appreciate your response! I think I’ll take a swing at VCOM since it’s still open. Hopefully it will go better for me this time lol

Congrats on those who got accepted! I unfortunately got a rejection letter this morning. I have other offers from masters programs out of state but wanted to stay in Texas. It’s all good though

Is it okay if you share your stats?

Reactions: 1 user
i went to the myHSC day and they said the in person cohort is going to be around 100 this year

Reactions: 1 users
How many seats do they have filled so far? How many left do you know?
It says 60/160 seats have been filled. Although cranberrylimeade just said they said the class is going to be about 100 students this year. The Facebook group has 71 members which is probably a more accurate amount of admitted students.

It says 60/160 seats have been filled. Although cranberrylimeade just said they said the class is going to be about 100 students this year. The Facebook group has 71 members which is probably a more accurate amount of admitted students.
yep 60- but the FB also has staff & mentors

Is there a deposit that has to paid upon admission- and if so how much is it and how long do you have to pay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a deposit that has to paid upon admission- and if so how much is it and how long do you have to pay?

Don’t think so. I’ve completed a bulk of my admissions tasks and haven’t been asked for a deposit.

Anyone able to share how long his or her application status was “under review” before an acceptance or rejection? I think I’m right at the 2 week mark today waiting on a response.

Last edited:
Anyone able to share how long his or her application status was “under review” before an acceptance or rejection? I think I’m right at the 2 week mark today waiting on a response.
Sorry I can't help with your question, but how long was it before you went from "received" to "under review"?

Sorry I can't help with your question, but how long was it before you went from "received" to "under review"?
Less than a work week once my final letter of recommendation was submitted, 2-4 days.

2/15-2/28. i think they may be taking longer to wait for the may deadline.

4/2 -4/11.

Has anyone heard back in the past few weeks? I'm at the 3-week mark now and getting nervous...

Did you get into a different program? If so, congrats! Thanks for letting us know and all the best luck with your future endeavors!
I did, I am learning more towards Temple ACHS since im OOS for both. UNTHSC seems like a great program, liked the curriculum but location is also a factor.

I submitted April 14th and have yet to hear back as well.
I submitted mine about a week before that so maybe we are placed in the same pile for review. hopefully we get to meet as classmates :)

I did, I am learning more towards Temple ACHS since im OOS for both. UNTHSC seems like a great program, liked the curriculum but location is also a factor.
That's awesome, congratulations!

Anyone know what the current Facebook group size is for incoming students? On Apr 16th it was 71.

Has anyone heard back from the program? I submitted an application for the fall program on April 15th, but it still remained "under review" when I checked the status of my application.

Has anyone heard back from the program? I submitted an application for the fall program on April 15th, but it still remained "under review" when I checked the status of my application.
I submitted Apr 7th and still “under review” as well

I'm sorry to hear that:( Are you considering doing their online program

No I don’t think so. I know an inside person that did the cohort in person and he said the 2 programs are actually very different and that dental schools don’t look favorably on the online one. He got accepted into A&M dental and was told that they select more of those from the cohort than they do the online ones. A&M dental school actually advised not to go for the online one.

I'm sorry to hear that:( Are you considering doing their online program

Not sure where you want to end up eventually but I would verify w the school and ask if they would look favorably upon the online MS program. When I emailed them, they actually confirmed the same exact thing he told me abt them looking down on the online program at UNTHSC so I just never attempted. My cousin who did the online one a year ago, graduated with a 3.7 and was not accepted to any TX dental schools, he had to apply out of state.

Is anyone considering the 5 semester online option or has anyone been through this? Also, does anyone know what the approximate total cost is for in-state? I've looked att all of the info but I dont totally understand cost wise. Thanks!!!

Is anyone considering the 5 semester online option or has anyone been through this? Also, does anyone know what the approximate total cost is for in-state? I've looked att all of the info but I dont totally understand cost wise. Thanks!!!
Also, will it being a 5 term program be a red flag for med schools? My thought with doing the 5 term is that I am not ready to begin a full time one year term in the fall but I want to have some grades behind my belt before applying next year (and finishing it out during the rest of my app cycle).

Also, will it being a 5 term program be a red flag for med schools? My thought with doing the 5 term is that I am not ready to begin a full time one year term in the fall but I want to have some grades behind my belt before applying next year (and finishing it out during the rest of my app cycle).
I don’t think it will be a red flag. I’m mean you have to set yourself up for success, so good grades in any of the formats they offer this program in, can only help. I’m not familiar with the exact cost, I am an oos student.

They mentioned during the info session that it's not necessarily a red flag rather it's for people who have other priorities/responsibilities. You would just need to show that you had an extensive amount of work on your plate other than school throughout those five semesters.

Well, I’m deferring my acceptance as the financial aid was not what I had hoped ◡̈ I hope they’re still extending seats and one of you can take mine! and hopefully my scholarship will go to one of you amazing peeps!