UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woke up this morning to my application status and I got denied.. I was so hopeful. Is there anyway I can contact them to see what I was missing or could’ve did better on?

and good luck to everyone else! 💐
F in the chat, same here 😿

Members don't see this ad.

F in the chat, same here 😿
omg what no way! 💔😭 I’m sorry!

apparently there’s a a reapplicant session where we can sign up and get feedback for our application but it’s literally all booked or they haven’t opened slots yet.

UNTHSC is offering a five semester online option... Has anyone considered this? Would it be a good option if you wanted to pursue an MD school? Would the ADCOM view it favorably? Perhaps unfavorably?

I ask because some people have advised to do a 1 year. Their rationale being the 1 year option contains the med school-like course load. Showing you handled well there will be more persuasive than if you did an extended option.

What are some thoughts?

Thanks!
BP

Members don't see this ad :)
Under review for the 5 semester! has anyone in here been accepted to the 5 semester?

I am considering maybe next year's, and was curious what your thought processes were for applying. Would you mind sharing them?
Sure thing! While I do need to be able to work and support myself, I have also had some health issues that have made functioning well enough to study difficult in the past. However, I have a solid treatment plan/team now, so I finally feel confident that I can put my very best foot forward, which has been reflected so far in my MCAT studying (yay!), but I know that if I'm going to do an SMP it is vital that I set myself up for success, so I thought it wise to opt for the slightly reduced course load per/semester over two years for my particular situation, as well as the fact that I need to work at least part-time to support myself. I hope that makes sense! I have not heard back as far as their admission decision yet, but I am really hoping for the best; I talked to someone who just graduated from the program and she really seemed to love it and the faculty. :)

Does anyone when the last day to hear back from them is? I will need to take out loans so I'm not sure whether to go ahead and start the application process because that can take a few weeks I believe.

Hey I'm just wondering, does anybody know if they require an MCAT score for admission? I'm considering applying for the next year. If not, do you think I should still take it to be considered more competitive, or does it not really matter - considering they offer their own MCAT prep within the program, Thanks!

Hey I'm just wondering, does anybody know if they require an MCAT score for admission? I'm considering applying for the next year. If not, do you think I should still take it to be considered more competitive, or does it not really matter - considering they offer their own MCAT prep within the program, Thanks!
They for sure don't require an MCAT for the online version, unless they've changed things from last year. I know there were talks to not require an MCAT for the in-person one either starting this year, but I don't know if they got through all the hoops to implement it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, I know this is a super late post but I just finished the online program and I am applying to medical school this cycle. I would love to answer any questions you guys might have regarding the program itself or the curriculum. I can also any question y'all might have regarding its comparison to the in person program! Good luck everyone!

Hello everyone, I know this is a super late post but I just finished the online program and I am applying to medical school this cycle. I would love to answer any questions you guys might have regarding the program itself or the curriculum. I can also any question y'all might have regarding its comparison to the in person program! Good luck everyone!
Hey! I have a couple questions.
How big was your class this year?
How good is the financial aid?
did you work while doing this program?
thank you!!

Hey! I have a couple questions.
How big was your class this year?
How good is the financial aid?
did you work while doing this program?
thank you!!
So our cohort was 150 people this year. The financial aid was good. I believe most students received the max amount they could (me included) from FAFSA. I am not too sure about scholarships. I did not work during this program and I would not recommend working during the program. If you have to work it is manageable but it is significantly more difficult. Majority of people who worked full time either had to quite to go to a PRN or very part time role.

So our cohort was 150 people this year. The financial aid was good. I believe most students received the max amount they could (me included) from FAFSA. I am not too sure about scholarships. I did not work during this program and I would not recommend working during the program. If you have to work it is manageable but it is significantly more difficult. Majority of people who worked full time either had to quite to go to a PRN or very part time role.
Great to know!
what did the graduation ceremony look like? Was it with the in-person cohort or an online thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Great to know!
what did the graduation ceremony look like? Was it with the in-person cohort or an online thing?
So the ceremony stuff is a little odd. The UNTHSC only does one graduation ceremony per year for all their programs. This ceremony is in May and because the online cohort finishes in August, you have the option to walk the next year or you don't have to walk.

Does anyone when the last day to hear back from them is? I will need to take out loans so I'm not sure whether to go ahead and start the application process because that can take a few weeks I believe.
I was reading last years threads and some people got acceptances on like Friday at 5pm when school started the following Monday

They just emailed me today my acceptance for the 2 year online program! I applied July 28th and was under review from August 1st. I’m wondering if I should still wait on hearing back from the 1 year online program or just continue with the two year.

I just got accepted to the two year too! Did you apply to both at the same time? I would assume they should get back to you pretty quickly if you've already gotten one decision.

I just got accepted to the two year too! Did you apply to both at the same time? I would assume they should get back to you pretty quickly if you've already gotten one decision.
Yes! I submitted at the same time, but I think I was less likely to get the one year because I didn't feel like a competitive applicant. Is there a GroupMe or discord for all online 2 year students?

hii!! a few questions: what are your best study tips for the classes and how would you consider the difficulty? also, did you use solely money from fafsa for financial aid? do you feel like it was harder since it was an online program

Yes! I submitted at the same time, but I think I was less likely to get the one year because I didn't feel like a competitive applicant. Is there a GroupMe or discord for all online 2 year students?
They emailed me on Aug 11th with my acceptance for the 1 year online program! I submitted on July 28th. For those waiting for a response, the last day for them to reach out to you is tomorrow. Also, were you able to find the groupme/discord yet?

hii!! a few questions: what are your best study tips for the classes and how would you consider the difficulty? also, did you use solely money from fafsa for financial aid? do you feel like it was harder since it was an online program
The classes are definitely tough. You jump right into the fire and have to adjust quickly. Depending on the course, anki was king for a lot of them. However I personally don’t learn well with anki so reading the slides helped me a ton. I would just make sure to stay as ahead as you can and try not to get overwhelmed. I would say difficultly overall was a 8.5/10 but some classes are harder than others. I used FAFSA and private loans. I feel like it wasn't harder like content wise but mental health wise it was harder. I would suggest to everyone doing the online program that you should get out and still do things. Being locked up in a room studying all day will destroy your mental health.

They emailed me on Aug 11th with my acceptance for the 1 year online program! I submitted on July 28th. For those waiting for a response, the last day for them to reach out to you is tomorrow. Also, were you able to find the groupme/discord yet?
nope :( i haven't found a groupchat yet. i think i'm going to go ahead and just accept the 2 year program

nope :( i haven't found a groupchat yet. i think i'm going to go ahead and just accept the 2 year program
Once you accept, they will send you an email with the facebook group for your class. And in there you can find links to group me and discord

its august 15th and i still haven't gotten any messages

Sure thing! While I do need to be able to work and support myself, I have also had some health issues that have made functioning well enough to study difficult in the past. However, I have a solid treatment plan/team now, so I finally feel confident that I can put my very best foot forward, which has been reflected so far in my MCAT studying (yay!), but I know that if I'm going to do an SMP it is vital that I set myself up for success, so I thought it wise to opt for the slightly reduced course load per/semester over two years for my particular situation, as well as the fact that I need to work at least part-time to support myself. I hope that makes sense! I have not heard back as far as their admission decision yet, but I am really hoping for the best; I talked to someone who just graduated from the program and she really seemed to love it and the faculty. :)
Thank you!!!

same - is it concerning to not have received any confirmation/PIN to activate an account to check the status?
i have the same issue i never received mine. I contacted them yesterday and they apparently misinput my application information. this is horrid as i submitted early which is detrimental to the application process as they were accepting individuals throughout summer for the online program.

I applied at the deadline and got accepted like last week, just wondering if there is like a groupme or something for this class. Also, I do not have access to canvas and stuff yet, wondering if I am the only one......wouldn't be surprised lol

I applied at the deadline and got accepted like last week, just wondering if there is like a groupme or something for this class. Also, I do not have access to canvas and stuff yet, wondering if I am the only one......wouldn't be surprised lol
yes all the links are in the fb group you were invited to in your acceptance email

The classes are definitely tough. You jump right into the fire and have to adjust quickly. Depending on the course, anki was king for a lot of them. However I personally don’t learn well with anki so reading the slides helped me a ton. I would just make sure to stay as ahead as you can and try not to get overwhelmed. I would say difficultly overall was a 8.5/10 but some classes are harder than others. I used FAFSA and private loans. I feel like it wasn't harder like content wise but mental health wise it was harder. I would suggest to everyone doing the online program that you should get out and still do things. Being locked up in a room studying all day will destroy your mental health.
I'm taking the 5-semester online program right now and biochem is the first class. Were the slides and videos enough to review and study for the quizzes and exams? I've been going through the textbook and it has honestly been overwhelming trying to get all these chapters in such a short time

I'm taking the 5-semester online program right now and biochem is the first class. Were the slides and videos enough to review and study for the quizzes and exams? I've been going through the textbook and it has honestly been overwhelming trying to get all these chapters in such a short time
Yes the slides and videos have everything you need for sure!

Congratulations! As an online student, are you still offered the opportunity to join the 2-year research track? or is that solely for the in person cohort?

Congratulations! As an online student, are you still offered the opportunity to join the 2-year research track? or is that solely for the in person cohort?
Yes you are! I know multiple people who did that!

Does anyone know if there is a gpa cutoff for the program or will they look at every application holistically?

Hi is anyone here applying to the Medical Masters program for next year 2024? The application opens on November 15. I am looking to make connections with people who are applying to the cohort program. Also people who are currently in the cohort, how is the program and any advice for the application? :) thanks

Hi is anyone here applying to the Medical Masters program for next year 2024? The application opens on November 15. I am looking to make connections with people who are applying to the cohort program. Also people who are currently in the cohort, how is the program and any advice for the application? :) thanks
I think it’s been fantastic. Great curriculum and wonderful faculty who are incredibly supportive. I would make sure you can explain any grade deficiencies. Like what went wrong, what you learned, and what you are doing differently. Also, it doesn’t hurt to be able to articulate why you want to go into your field. Remember this doesn’t have to be a complete medical school application, rather a statement that shows this program is the logical next step for you and your career. But best of luck!

I think it’s been fantastic. Great curriculum and wonderful faculty who are incredibly supportive. I would make sure you can explain any grade deficiencies. Like what went wrong, what you learned, and what you are doing differently. Also, it doesn’t hurt to be able to articulate why you want to go into your field. Remember this doesn’t have to be a complete medical school application, rather a statement that shows this program is the logical next step for you and your career. But best of luck!
Thank you for the advise! One question, where do you explain grade deficiencies. Is this in the personal statement or should I share this somewhere else in the application.

Thank you for the advise! One question, where do you explain grade deficiencies. Is this in the personal statement or should I share this somewhere else in the application.
I addressed in my personal statement. But that might depend based on how big an issue it is. I had a pretty low GPA, so it was a big part of my application. I would suggest going to the information sessions, they gave me a lot of tips of what they were looking for in applicants. From what I can remember they put an emphasis on being positive, focusing on what you learned about yourself if you retook classes, basically an emphasis on how you’re trying to fix yourself and maybe mention how exactly their program can help you do that. The application for this program is quite substantial, but stick with it, this program is 100% worth it.

Hey there! I'm actually looking to apply for the cohort masters, though I'll probably apply to both the online and cohort just in case the schedule doesn't work well with my work :D

Hey there! I'm actually looking to apply for the cohort masters, though I'll probably apply to both the online and cohort just in case the schedule doesn't work well with my work :D
I am also applying for the in-person cohort for 2024! Nice to meet everyone, wish us all the best of luck :)

I contacted admissions with a question regarding an MCAT score and received a reply stating that professional program entrance exam scores were no longer required and that if they were to be submitted with an application, they wouldn't have much weight on the overall decision. Did this recently change? For the longest time I was under the impression that the in-person cohort required an MCAT. If this is the case, how dramatically will that change the admissions process? To my understanding, this program is intended for applicants who are changing careers or need an academic enhancer. Submitting a professional program entrance exam score was their way of showing competency in the case their academic record was spotty. Not requiring a pp entrance exam score changes everything. Would anyone know how they screen applicants if this is now the case., additionally, when did they make this change?

Hi, for those who are in the program. I am curious how heavily the admission committee ways in on your prerequisites classes. I took a statistics class during covid and got a S as in satisfactory grade. I am wondering if this will affect my application or if they will still consider me taking this class as one of the requirements? Thank you in advance!

Hi, for those who are in the program. I am curious how heavily the admission committee ways in on your prerequisites classes. I took a statistics class during covid and got a S as in satisfactory grade. I am wondering if this will affect my application or if they will still consider me taking this class as one of the requirements? Thank you in advance!
As long as it’s a pass the won’t care. They did mention that they look closely at the science pre reqs (chem, bio, physics). They don’t mind C’s, but they like to see successful attempts to remediate anything lower than that. And they do want to see some evidence for success on your transcript, doesn’t have to be consistent, but something. If you need a program to bolster your app, I highly recommend this program. It’s been fantastic, and on the more affordable side for SMP programs.

As long as it’s a pass the won’t care. They did mention that they look closely at the science pre reqs (chem, bio, physics). They don’t mind C’s, but they like to see successful attempts to remediate anything lower than that. And they do want to see some evidence for success on your transcript, doesn’t have to be consistent, but something. If you need a program to bolster your app, I highly recommend this program. It’s been fantastic, and on the more affordable side for SMP programs.
Thank you for your reply! I am currently in the process of applying for the medical masters :)