UOP VS UDM VS NOVA VS CASE VS NYU VS BUFFALO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ckwondental

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am a high school senior who got into the dental accelerated program (BS/DDS) at UoP, UDM, Nova, and NYU. I've been invited for interview from Case and waiting for the interview invitations from Marquette and Buffalo. I don't know much about the dental schools, as I'm still in high school. Among those schools I've mentioned, which one would you go and why? Which top 3 schools would you recommend (in order)? I'm ignorant about any of the schools, so I desperately need help to make a wise decision for the next 7 years of my life. Thank you in advance for your answers so much!
 
Last edited:
UoP has the best accelerated program of all the schools you've listed. It will also allow you to practice dentistry one year sooner. Therefore, it may be the next 6 years of your life.
 
UoP has the best accelerated program of all the schools you've listed. It will also allow you to practice dentistry one year sooner. Therefore, it may be the next 6 years of your life.
Thank you for your answer! But it's the most expensive among those along with NYU. Compared to UDM dental school (not including the undergrad school) which would cost about $400K for 4 years (including food, house rental, insurance etc.... basically the cost of attendance), UOP dental school would cost about $460-70K for 3 years(but I will end up graduating a year earlier). Would it worth the amount of money? And can I ask why it's the best accelerated dental program?
 
Last edited:
Hello, I am a high school senior who got into the dental accelerated program (BS/DDS) at UoP, UDM, Nova, and NYU. I've been invited for interview from Case and waiting for the interview invitation from Marquette and Buffalo. I don't know much about the dental schools, as I'm still in high school. Among those schools I've mentioned, which one would you go and why? Which top 3 schools would you recommend (in order)? I'm ignorant about any of the schools, so I desperately need help to make a wise decision for the next 7 years of my life. Thank you in advance for your answers so much!

Tough decision.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ah I see; congrats! That's awesome.

My advice to you would be to pick a program based on three criteria.
#1) Cost. This can easily save you hundreds of thousands of dollars. Go into each school's website(s) and find out the total cost of attendance for your undergrad. + dental degree. Then add an extra $50-60K onto it (to account for interest, tuition increases, etc.)

#2) Environment. Consider proximity to family, what the undergrad. culture is like, weather, etc.

#3) Length. If UoP is winning out on the first two criteria AND is getting you your dental degree two years sooner, then go UoP.
Thank you!
I heard that uop is the best among the schools I've listed (with best reputation.. correct me if I'm wrong🙂), but it's the most expensive at the same time. But it is also the shortest program so idk what to do.. the environment isn't a big factor to me tbh, as long as the school is good. Idk what to do🙁
 
@Ckwondental As @Incis0r already mentioned, run the numbers. Calculate the total cost of attendance + living expenses for the total amount of the years you will be in for both undergrad AND dental school. Include in all the interest that would accumulate while you are enrolled in school as well as about 4% tuition increase each year. Suppose that you would pick some other school other than UoP (longer program), calculate the potential loss of your income due to more schooling. I see that you are interested in military scholarship, but you can start worrying about that a year before you matriculate into dental school since there's no way you can find out right now whether you would be selected for the scholarship as it's getting more competitive each year. If you want to play safe just in case you don't get the scholarship, again, run those numbers and I would pick the cheapest school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I got into a 5 year program I would jump on that in a heartbeat. The opportunity costs of that are significant. You would be 3 years ahead of your peers that took the traditional route.
That's just my opinion though.
 
Did you get accepted into the Dual Admission Dental program at Nova already? I thought they just started interviews for that on January 19th.

Have you visited any of the 7 schools? You can find out a TON of information on each school (undergrad and Dental) just by searching this forum, Google searches, virtual tours, etc. If I was going to be spending 6 to 8 years at one of those schools, I would want to know everything I could about them.