This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruno692693

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my AMCAS on June 10th, and just found out today (June 14th) I had a first author paper accepted for publishing to a major journal. I didn't make any reference to this in my app, so how do I update schools on this? And how early is too early? I imagine I can do it mostly in secondaries, but what about Mayo? (No secondary) Any thoughts would be very helpful! I don't want to do it too early and seem neurotic, but I also would like adcoms to know this ASAP. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Wait until you receive secondary apps, some schools will give you the opportunity to put stuff like that on there. If not, wait until the schools receive your secondary (or for Mayo, verify your application), then call schools and ask what their policy is on pre-interview updates. I know some schools don't allow updates before interviews but I think most do.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! As mentioned above, the secondary is the place to note this big achievement. You may also be able to ask your mentor for an updated LOR that includes mention of this paper; you can update this through AMCAS if I remember correctly. While this IS a significant achievement, it is unlikely that the presence or absence of this pub alone will make a large difference in how your cycle turns out overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar situation, waiting to hear back from editors on a first author pub. My application is finished except for the research experience work/activities entry (and possibly listing the publication), but I've decided to hold off until an arbitrarily chosen date (June 21) to submit my application, pub or not.

I figured waiting to submit an additional two weeks probably won't harm my prospects with respect to submitting early (right guys? guys?)

Congrats! As mentioned above, the secondary is the place to note this big achievement. You may also be able to ask your mentor for an updated LOR that includes mention of this paper; you can update this through AMCAS if I remember correctly. While this IS a significant achievement, it is unlikely that the presence or absence of this pub alone will make a large difference in how your cycle turns out overall.
Thanks! My letters are all submitted to my school's committee so I'm not sure it makes sense to update that. I know he mentioned the submissions and my research in general in his letter. I have another paper out for review (second author) and I imagine I'll hear about that mid to late July. Regardless of if that one is accepted or not, would it make sense to send a written update to Mayo in July once I hear about the second one? I'll include this first author pub and potentially the second author as well in this update. (Mayo doesn't have secondaries). Or is that too early to update?

Thanks! My letters are all submitted to my school's committee so I'm not sure it makes sense to update that. I know he mentioned the submissions and my research in general in his letter. I have another paper out for review (second author) and I imagine I'll hear about that mid to late July. Regardless of if that one is accepted or not, would it make sense to send a written update to Mayo in July once I hear about the second one? I'll include this first author pub and potentially the second author as well in this update. (Mayo doesn't have secondaries). Or is that too early to update?
I don't think Mayo is receptive to pre-II updates. Reviews are nice but not at all close to a research manuscript. Unfortunately, the best thing to do if your heart is set on Mayo is to have the pub mentioned in your LORs. Mayo is very holistic though and if you don't receive an II, it's not because they were unaware of the pub.

I don't think Mayo is receptive to pre-II updates. Reviews are nice but not at all close to a research manuscript. Unfortunately, the best thing to do if your heart is set on Mayo is to have the pub mentioned in your LORs. Mayo is very holistic though and if you don't receive an II, it's not because they were unaware of the pub.
Thanks!

Last edited:
FYI, Mayo says specifically that they will not accept updates before an II. So you might as well just wait until secondaries to do that.