Update Letter - Letter of Interest Pre-Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medandmusic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Anyone willing to share an example of one of these?
Not sure who it should be addressed to / how long, etc.

Debating the usefulness overall.. but figure it's probably better just to send and feel like I tried than not at all.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

The best pre-interview letter of interest is a completed application.

Debating the usefulness overall..
There's no debate to be had. These letters are useless. If you haven't withdrawn your application, they assume you're still interested.

I know the waiting sucks, but that's the way this game is played. Do something fun to relax, and rest easy with the knowledge that you've done all you can.

Reactions: 3 users
I pmed you an example!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

Anyone willing to share an example of one of these?
Not sure who it should be addressed to / how long, etc.

Debating the usefulness overall.. but figure it's probably better just to send and feel like I tried than not at all.

Thank you!!
How would you interpret a nonbinding promise from a desperate applicant?

From the wise Med Ed: [What med schools…] accept and desire are two different things. My institution, for instance, will accept practically anything a given applicant wants to forward along, but only rarely do we consider it a worthwhile addition to the package.

And yes, some of us have gotten a little jaded about LOI's. I could fill a barrel with all the post-interview correspondence I have received that has not translated into a single matriculant. This has all gotten mighty complicated and burdensome for what is essentially a zero sum game.

It's generally not burdensome for an applicant to upload something to the portal, and once in a great while it does tip us off with some useful info. I can think of one individual who had a stellar application, like Harvard/Yale/Stanford-worthy, and a superb interview, who sent us several updates and a LOI. We were somewhat perplexed by this person's tenacious interest in our program. Turns out there were family/geographical reasons behind the whole thing, the applicant just never felt comfortable directly playing that card.

When it comes down to waitlist time I will scan through what folks have uploaded post-interview. The vast majority of times it has no impact. Occasionally I have seen it hurt people's chances. Come to think of it, in my experience this is probably more likely, than such correspondence having a positive impact.

See LOI and Interviews?

I told a school I'd go if accepted, now not so sure

for classic examples of why most Admissions deans treat these as lies.

Another Adcom member wrote: We only invite amazing students to interview. It is quite unlikely that further good deeds or achievements will have an effect since only the students who have already wowed us are interviewed.

Moral of the story: your app is your LOI.

Reactions: 2 users
How would you interpret a nonbinding promise from a desperate applicant?

From the wise Med Ed: [What med schools…] accept and desire are two different things. My institution, for instance, will accept practically anything a given applicant wants to forward along, but only rarely do we consider it a worthwhile addition to the package.

And yes, some of us have gotten a little jaded about LOI's. I could fill a barrel with all the post-interview correspondence I have received that has not translated into a single matriculant. This has all gotten mighty complicated and burdensome for what is essentially a zero sum game.

It's generally not burdensome for an applicant to upload something to the portal, and once in a great while it does tip us off with some useful info. I can think of one individual who had a stellar application, like Harvard/Yale/Stanford-worthy, and a superb interview, who sent us several updates and a LOI. We were somewhat perplexed by this person's tenacious interest in our program. Turns out there were family/geographical reasons behind the whole thing, the applicant just never felt comfortable directly playing that card.

When it comes down to waitlist time I will scan through what folks have uploaded post-interview. The vast majority of times it has no impact. Occasionally I have seen it hurt people's chances. Come to think of it, in my experience this is probably more likely, than such correspondence having a positive impact.

See LOI and Interviews?

I told a school I'd go if accepted, now not so sure

for classic examples of why most Admissions deans treat these as lies.

Another Adcom member wrote: We only invite amazing students to interview. It is quite unlikely that further good deeds or achievements will have an effect since only the students who have already wowed us are interviewed.

Moral of the story: your app is your LOI.

Thanks for the input -- so even if I have new grades, etc. I should not send a letter with updates for these items? That was my idea to be at the forefront of the letter -- with me also reiterating interest in specific schools at the end.

Thanks for the input -- so even if I have new grades, etc. I should not send a letter with updates for these items? That was my idea to be at the forefront of the letter -- with me also reiterating interest in specific schools at the end.
A semester of a lot of good grades is one of the few things worth an update...AFTER an interview

The best pre-interview letter of interest is a completed application.

There's no debate to be had. These letters are useless. If you haven't withdrawn your application, they assume you're still interested.

I know the waiting sucks, but that's the way this game is played. Do something fun to relax, and rest easy with the knowledge that you've done all you can.

This is a very school specific question that shouldn't be answered with a simple yes or no. For the VAST majority of the schools, what you said is true. There are several schools where these letters do have some impact, however. Simply go to the school-specific forum and read the Jefferson threads over the past few years if you don't believe me.

Source: the neurotic reading of years of school-specific threads I did during my application year, AND my personal experience (I sent an update to Jefferson last year, and received an II less than one week later). Do you really want to call that a coincidence?

If you have new, excellent grades and a less-than-sterling GPA with an upward trend containing few points, it may help to send such an update.

Some schools adore getting these "love letters", just be careful not to send one where pre-interview supplements are not welcome.

Reactions: 1 users
Just from personal experience, sometimes it does maybe do something. Within a week of sending Loi’s to schools I hadn’t heard from last cycle (albeit with an in the area note too as I was working out of the country), I received 3 IIs. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

Do you really want to call that a coincidence?
Nope! I call it
bucket.jpeg

(But I'm glad it worked out for you! :))

What about for schools where the applicant is in the upper tiers of their accepted range?

Perhaps these schools are thinking the applicant won’t attend if interviewed and the LOI serves as an indicator they might?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just from personal experience, sometimes it does maybe do something. Within a week of sending Loi’s to schools I hadn’t heard from last cycle (albeit with an in the area note too as I was working out of the country), I received 3 IIs. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.
Did you send a letter of interest or letter of intent? This is pre-II so I’m guessing interest?

This is a very school specific question that shouldn't be answered with a simple yes or no. For the VAST majority of the schools, what you said is true. There are several schools where these letters do have some impact, however. Simply go to the school-specific forum and read the Jefferson threads over the past few years if you don't believe me.

Source: the neurotic reading of years of school-specific threads I did during my application year, AND my personal experience (I sent an update to Jefferson last year, and received an II less than one week later). Do you really want to call that a coincidence?
Lol Jeff is notoriously needy, I’m not surprised

Don't do it. I believe @Goro gave me this example. It's a bit brutal, but he's correct.

Sending a letter of intent pre-interview is analogous to a jerk guy at a bar trying to bang a hot chick promising he'll totally respect her and date her if she's DTF tonight. What do you think...? Pre-interview intent letters do absolutely nothing. I'm convinced that post-interview letters of intent also do nothing. Once a medical admissions committee has made their decision, only in extremely rare instances can a post-interview LoR help. The example I know was a friend of mine. He had a LizzyM of 80+ and was hellbent on going to a low-tier medical school and was waitlisted. He sent in a letter of intent and said why he wanted to go their. His mom and dad were doctors there, the school was practically in his backyard, and he would have the strongest support system at this school. They actually admitted him when he confessed this in his letter. If its in hopes of trying to bump up your Waitlist ranking, I doubt an admissions committee cares. I don't think that's right, but it is what it is.

A great lesson for life is the following: Don't be desperate. Ever. In all aspects of your life. If you are desperate, that's a sign something is wrong. I say this from experience. I was desperate AF during my first application dying to get admitted anywhere, and that's not the correct mentality. I'm sorry for your situation OP, but remember, medical schools aren't going anywhere - you can always reapply, broaden/diversify your school list for future cycles. If 1000s of other students do this across the country, you absolutely capable of doing it as well. You got this.

Don't do it. I believe @Goro gave me this example. It's a bit brutal, but he's correct.

Sending a letter of intent pre-interview is analogous to a jerk guy at a bar trying to bang a hot chick promising he'll totally respect her and date her if she's DTF tonight. What do you think...? Pre-interview intent letters do absolutely nothing. I'm convinced that post-interview letters of intent also do nothing. Once a medical admissions committee has made their decision, only in extremely rare instances can a post-interview LoR help. The example I know was a friend of mine. He had a LizzyM of 80+ and was hellbent on going to a low-tier medical school and was waitlisted. He sent in a letter of intent and said why he wanted to go their. His mom and dad were doctors there, the school was practically in his backyard, and he would have the strongest support system at this school. They actually admitted him when he confessed this in his letter. If its in hopes of trying to bump up your Waitlist ranking, I doubt an admissions committee cares. I don't think that's right, but it is what it is.

A great lesson for life is the following: Don't be desperate. Ever. In all aspects of your life. If you are desperate, that's a sign something is wrong. I say this from experience. I was desperate AF during my first application dying to get admitted anywhere, and that's not the correct mentality. I'm sorry for your situation OP, but remember, medical schools aren't going anywhere - you can always reapply, broaden/diversify your school list for future cycles. If 1000s of other students do this across the country, you absolutely capable of doing it as well. You got this.
I respectfully disagree. As a lower-stats applicant, I should have had absolutely no chance of getting into CMU. They literally take less than 20 out of state applicants (out of 5,000+). Yet, I poured my heart out in a heartfelt LOI, and sent it via mail. Was accepted 3 days later

I respectfully disagree. As a lower-stats applicant, I should have had absolutely no chance of getting into CMU. They literally take less than 20 out of state applicants (out of 5,000+). Yet, I poured my heart out in a heartfelt LOI, and sent it via mail. Was accepted 3 days later
You're the exception, not the rule. I know of students at Harvard Med with a <500 MCAT, but I cannot in good conscience suggest students apply to HMS with a sub-500.

And its based on my experience. My own alma mater proudly REJECTED me despite my interview and heartfelt letter of intent. Years of research, volunteer work, and any/all extracurriculars at their affiliated hospital and medical school didn't do anything for me, so that was my experience.

None the less, I wish to congratulate you - I'm happy things worked out, enjoy yourself and kick butt in medical school :).

I sent the LOI two days ago and got an interview invite today. Coincidence? I guess not.

Congratulations on your II. Get the acceptance. I doubt your letter of intent added any weight, it may have simply just reminded admissions to see your file. Correlation isn't causation ;).

Congratulations on your II. Get the acceptance. I doubt your letter of intent added any weight, it may have simply just reminded admissions to see your file. Correlation isn't causation ;).
:laugh: I'm a month away from finishing M1. And though I ultimately picked to attend elsewhere (def wasn't paying $100K/yr), I was approached by someone on the admissions team and pretty much had my suspicions confirmed. Not every school is the same. My current school wouldn't have a crap, but CMU and may other of the smaller schools appreciate those sentiments

Edit: By LOI, I meant letter of interest. The huge tuition halted me from committing to a true letter of intent

You're the exception, not the rule. I know of students at Harvard Med with a <500 MCAT, but I cannot in good conscience suggest students apply to HMS with a sub-500.

And its based on my experience. My own alma mater proudly REJECTED me despite my interview and heartfelt letter of intent. Years of research, volunteer work, and any/all extracurriculars at their affiliated hospital and medical school didn't do anything for me, so that was my experience.

None the less, I wish to congratulate you - I'm happy things worked out, enjoy yourself and kick butt in medical school :).
Wait, applying to HMS with a sub 500? lol, I don't think I read through the entire thread. That's actually pretty...suicidal, and a waste of money tbh

Wait, applying to HMS with a sub 500? lol, I don't think I read through the entire thread. That's actually pretty...suicidal, and a waste of money tbh

Think legacy, double/triple minority status, endless community service, and former US Marine.

:laugh: I'm a month away from finishing M1. And though I ultimately picked to attend elsewhere (def wasn't paying $100K/yr), I was approached by someone on the admissions team and pretty much had my suspicions confirmed. Not every school is the same. My current school wouldn't have a crap, but CMU and may other of the smaller schools appreciate those sentiments

Edit: By LOI, I meant letter of interest. The huge tuition halted me from committing to a true letter of intent

Ah, LOI was my miscommunication. In certain institutions, intent letters can hold more/less weight. Nonetheless, letters of interest post-interview have some value, but pre-interview letters of intent are a bum!

Think legacy, double/triple minority status, endless community service, and former US Marine.
Hmm, sounds a bit fishy. Those applicants probably had inside connections as well.
I never tried at pre-II letters of intent, but I have heard instances where they have worked for a couple of Cali applicants. With those and letters of intents, it probably all depends on the school tbh. At a school with 300 students? Probably not. At a school with 50...? What do you really have to lose.

Thank God we don't have to worry about that anymore. Blessed be to M1 life! No more MCAT :) And won't have to worry about LOI and pre-II letters until 4th year

Hmm, sounds a bit fishy. Those applicants probably had inside connections as well.
I never tried at pre-II letters of intent, but I have heard instances where they have worked for a couple of Cali applicants. With those and letters of intents, it probably all depends on the school tbh. At a school with 300 students? Probably not. At a school with 50...? What do you really have to lose.

Thank God we don't have to worry about that anymore. Blessed be to M1 life! No more MCAT :) And won't have to worry about LOI and pre-II letters until 4th year
The best part of med school is NOT being pre-med. GOd that feeling is great. So so nice lol.

Oh yeah, the legacy meant they had connections* sorry if that was unclear lol

Harvard's 10th percentile MCAT for matriculants is 512. I think you have gotten ahold of some bad information.

There's always 1 or 2 that don't fit the trend, eh?

What kind of ECs did those Harvard Med students with sub-500 MCATs have? Rwandan refugees turned Army Ranger combat medics?

I pmed you an example!

Hello,

I realized this thread is more than 1 year old. If you still check this forum, could you please email me or PM me a temple of the letter of interest as well? Thank you very much.

- Andy

Hello,

I realized this thread is more than 1 year old. If you still check this forum, could you please email me or PM me a temple of the letter of interest as well? Thank you very much.

- Andy

Can you please PM me a temple of the letter of interest as well?
Thank you!!