updating transcripts...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
say i wanted to do this after this semester (i probably will want to)... do you do it through AMCAS or do you have to send an updated transcript to every school? anyone know how? thanks...
-mota

Members don't see this ad.

I know you can't do that through AMCAS. It might be more beneficial (not to mention more cost-effective) to write update letters to each school and just tell them what your grades were and anything else you've been up to since AMCAS was submitted. I may be writing some letters of that nature soon, primarily to discuss additional extracurriculars. However, I believe some schools are less inclined to accept pre-interview update letters--I dunno. I'll have to do my research before sending anything.

DaMota said:
say i wanted to do this after this semester (i probably will want to)... do you do it through AMCAS or do you have to send an updated transcript to every school? anyone know how? thanks...
-mota

Like overeducated said, AMCAS says "not me". I contacted the admissions office's of a couple of schools I am applying to and was told that I could send an updated transcript if I wanted, but there is no guarantee that anyone would even look at it. My premed advisor, in response, said that many of the schools will base whether or not to invite us for interviews on our submitted AMCAS application and secondaries only and will request updated transcripts only after accepted if required.

All that being said. It couldn't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took some classes this summer, and wanted to send in the grades to the schools because they were science classes and would have bumped my GPA (I got A-'s in two classes) up above that 3.0 threshold. I sent a transcript to every school I applied to. But at two places I interviewed, my interviewer did not even know of the extra transcript and had to write in the grades on my amcas file. I wanted to shout, "you know that puts me about 3.0!" but restrained myself. I'm convinced that there's some psychological effect of seeing a 2.95 rather than a 3.0. It shouldn't make that big of a difference, but I think it may have been the reason for all my rejections so far.

I'll be writing a letter to tell them about my grades, but it's only to Northwestern, and it's going to be a LOLOI - letter of lots of interest! I wouldn't bother updating schools that haven't given you an interview, unless you really want to go there, in which case, you should write a letter, and maybe attach an informal transcript. They'll trust you - if you lied about your grades, they'll find out when they get your final transcript, and I'm sure you'd be expelled.